Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:08:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This forum is full of future millionaires  (Read 14560 times)
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 08:51:02 PM

10 mil is the new millionaire. Sad but true.

Nathonas

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Knowledge is Power

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2014, 08:52:47 PM

The only reason 10BTC would be worth $1,000,000 is because of hyperinflation, in which case I wouldn't sell my coins and would be using them for directly buying stuff instead.

Agreed. We need to get away from this thinking of "BTC= x USD" because it just promotes the whole get-rich-quick ideology. What we really need to say is, in the future bitcoin will be a viable currency by itself, and those that got into it early will be able to afford to buy themselves homes, cars, etc. It won't need to be converted, or compared to USD or any other FIAT because it will stand on its own.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
RUEHL

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 09:28:54 PM

Agreed. We need to get away from this thinking of "BTC= x USD" because it just promotes the whole get-rich-quick ideology.
Perhaps, we also need to have BTC x Gold, to make the price appear more stable to those complaining about the volatility. 

Donate BTC: 1FzpMgR34pJbEqtiMEujRiidoL7PgGPaUH
Guido
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 09:37:24 PM

The only reason 10BTC would be worth $1,000,000 is because of hyperinflation, in which case I wouldn't sell my coins and would be using them for directly buying stuff instead.

Agreed. We need to get away from this thinking of "BTC= x USD" because it just promotes the whole get-rich-quick ideology. What we really need to say is, in the future bitcoin will be a viable currency by itself, and those that got into it early will be able to afford to buy themselves homes, cars, etc. It won't need to be converted, or compared to USD or any other FIAT because it will stand on its own.

THIS

also as already stated the us dollar is worth shit now
same as pound etc
one bag of shopping in supermarket here in UK is about £25, and no luxuries like booze, fags etc
£120 to fill tank of petrol in car, £9.50 for packet of cigarettes (20)

btc should be way higher now in $ terms as it's so worthless
hopefully 100 bitcoins would last couple decades of good living

we just need sites like bitpremier.com to sell cheap european real estate, nice fincas etc instead of just top end property and midrange stuff

it will come

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
Robert Paulson (OP)

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 10:09:17 PM

like it or not prices today are mostly quoted in USD, saying that one bitcoin will be worth X amount of 2014 USD is just a convenient way of saying what one bitcoin will buy in the future.
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 10:23:28 PM

I hope that I'm a millionaire due to the fact of Bitcoin.

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 10:30:50 PM

Also, there are many things in life more important than money.

OK ... Bro

1) Kids ?
- hospital $$$
- education $$$
- food $$$

2) Travel ?
- airplane $$$
- taxi $$$
- insurance $$$

3) The healthy ?
- Bio food $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
- Sport $
- no stressed job $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So live in a island and cook coconut if you want but you tip in a forum ... so you have PC or usually computer to do and this cost a lot if you don't work for it.

Very good point bro. Actually money is most important thing in life , u almost cant live without it. Except maybe in some cave with some garden and animals to make food Cheesy . But that is not life. So yes , money is most important thing in life.

Well yes you must be capable to earn money for surviving but It depends how you look at It money Is not important but It's important what you can do or buy with It. Like If you have a job you earn a salary enough to buy food , clothes ect.. and you don't make such big deal about money. But If you say you must have money to barely do anything in this world you are right.

The system is rigged so that everyone does not see the value of goods, they only see the monetary value, not the real value.

Therefore everyone thinks fiat money has value, and thereby makes it so.

Fiat money is worthless, but the fact that so many people believe in its value make it valuable.
baggage

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 10:36:24 PM

anyone holding over 10 bitcoin today will probably have 1 million USD (in today's purchasing power) in 10-20 years.
most of the fiat pundits who mock bitcoin today will be eating their hat when the USD finally implodes.
be glad you are lucky enough to be here in this moment in time when bitcoin is first invented, it will be quite a story to tell...

I suspect 10 BTC worth 1,000,000 USD (in 2014 purchasing power) will happen way sooner than 10-20 years. As for the USD imploding I doubt it, more like USD keeping 95% of today's value or more. As for an implosion, gold is the far more likely candidate in a brutal bear market. The fiat pundits will just sit by and watch a massive transfer of Austrian / Libertarian wealth from gold to Bitcoin.

Really...10 BTC to make anyone a millionaire sooner then 10 years?  Not doubting it will happen but how soon do you think?
Baitty

Activity: 532

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 10:38:45 PM

anyone holding over 10 bitcoin today will probably have 1 million USD (in today's purchasing power) in 10-20 years.
most of the fiat pundits who mock bitcoin today will be eating their hat when the USD finally implodes.
be glad you are lucky enough to be here in this moment in time when bitcoin is first invented, it will be quite a story to tell...

I suspect 10 BTC worth 1,000,000 USD (in 2014 purchasing power) will happen way sooner than 10-20 years. As for the USD imploding I doubt it, more like USD keeping 95% of today's value or more. As for an implosion, gold is the far more likely candidate in a brutal bear market. The fiat pundits will just sit by and watch a massive transfer of Austrian / Libertarian wealth from gold to Bitcoin.

Really...10 BTC to make anyone a millionaire sooner then 10 years?  Not doubting it will happen but how soon do you think?

No one can make a solid estimate on how long it might take it might never get there. I find it hard to believe that 10 Bitcoin could make you a millionaire because a lot of people own that amount and it that would be thousands of people would become millionaires in the same few days.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 10:43:40 PM

No one can make a solid estimate on how long it might take it might never get there. I find it hard to believe that 10 Bitcoin could make you a millionaire because a lot of people own that amount and it that would be thousands of people would become millionaires in the same few days.

I think you'd be surprised how few people own more than ten. Most of the polls here show a big chunk, maybe the majority, have less than one.

If values keep on going up then they're going to be spent or cashed out and it'll dilute even more.
acs267

Activity: 644

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 10:46:55 PM

I think you'd be surprised how few people own more than ten. Most of the polls here show a big chunk, maybe the majority, have less than one.

If values keep on going up then they're going to be spent or cashed out and it'll dilute even more.

If the value keeps going up, people will also start to 'scavenge'. Already multiple scams going on. New wave of phishing and hacking will possibly start as well, as the value increases.
ZipperCoin

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2014, 11:02:55 PM

10 BTC + 10 Years = $1MM USD = Truth.
acs267

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 12:21:53 AM

How is that sad? A millionaire is a individual or person whose net worth is over a million units in a chosen currency.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 12:47:07 AM

How is that sad? A millionaire is a individual or person whose net worth is over a million units in a chosen currency.

It's sad because being a millionaire was every American kid's dream a generation ago.
By the time we got there, its not even that much money anymore.

Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 12:59:09 AM

It's a nice idea, but really I don't believe we'll reach $100,00 USD a coin anytime soon. I doubt it'd even be in my lifetime. It would take massive adoption by nearly everyone in most major economies for us to have the price spike to that point - and realistically I doubt that will be the case until we can convince laypeople to use Bitcoin (considering that most don't understand it).
RockHound

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 02:16:05 AM

It's a nice idea, but really I don't believe we'll reach $100,00 USD a coin anytime soon. I doubt it'd even be in my lifetime. It would take massive adoption by nearly everyone in most major economies for us to have the price spike to that point - and realistically I doubt that will be the case until we can convince laypeople to use Bitcoin (considering that most don't understand it).

Agreed, it's a nice idea!

So $100,000/BTC by 2024?

It is actually possible, there will be some Bitcoiners on here that will hold for 10 years  Cheesy

Like to think I'm a fairly logical person, have to concede that valuation is not outrageous

Jacqul

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 02:29:48 AM

21 mil btc
Means that only 21 mil people will be able to own a full btc at any specific time.
There are lots of people on earth and in a few years pop will stabilize at 10bil if you believe Hans Rosling.

If you own a BTC you are in the minority now and in the future.

It is dangerous to make money the goal of your life.
A better reason to support cryptocurrencies is if you support the advancement of humanity.
Call me a technolibertarian and a techno-utopian or whatever... but if we can have a way for people to live long and healthy with enough food and resources for everyone then what would wealth matter, why would you necessarily want to be richer than anyone else. Already now you can do more than the wealthiest man alive 100 years ago.

I find the people in this thread claiming 10mil is the new million ridiculous. If you have any idea what people like you and me live and survive with in some places of the world the idea of a million dollars (or even $100) would seem like a dream.

Steve Jobs was very rich. Then he got cancer and now he is dead. Working together we may one day solve problems like cancer. Years ago a measles killed so many, now we vaccinate and don't even need to think about it. (In fact the vaccination works so well that some people have stopped believing in measles!)

The problem I have with the focus being on making money is that this way of thinking incubates scammers and fraudsters for who the end goal is money and who miss the bigger picture.
And every added scam and fraud detracts and places obstacles in the way of cryptocurrencies achieving the utility they could.
But hell if you support this and invest purely for personal gain then please do, just keep honest too.

/sermon
acs267

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 02:34:26 AM

It's sad because being a millionaire was every American kid's dream a generation ago.
By the time we got there, its not even that much money anymore.

That's odd. With one million dollars, I can buy a average house were I live. And at least cover some living expenses for some time.

House - Average where I live is at least 125K-200K. 3-5 Bedroom, possibly 2 bathrooms. A few thousand sq ft, not over 6,000 sq ft  - mansion. Also possibly a few acres of land around it.

Food - Averagely spent on food is $175 a week, according to Google, or in that range. A year is about 52 weeks. $9,100 dollars a year, approximately.

Car - Not really fancy for a car. Thinking off the top of my head, let's say a Hummer. That costs about $10K, and $80 for gas every week where I live. $4,160 a year + $10K for car. For any repairs, let's say a extra $10K.

Clothes - Kind of preppy guy. Going to assume in the $400-$1,000 range. Various sites say $121-$200 range, though, so I'm going with the latter. $200 spent monthly, I guess. $2,400.

Utilities + Health + Leisure - I can't go without Internet, and housing is to take into mind. Plus cable, and other things. At least $665 monthly, which turns into $7,980 annually. Other services, such as my phone bill and such would probably be around $427 a month, $5,124.

Average Total - $213,764. Either I'm missing something, or a million dollars is now the ZWD compared to a dollar.
FastBluff

Activity: 168

https://fastbluff.com/

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2014, 02:35:32 AM

I completely agree with this statement. Not saying that it couldn't happen, because I want it to, but for the masses to adopt bitcoin it needs to become easier to use and overcome some of its existing limitations. The biggest draw back of BTC is ease of access. Exchanges are not exactly "simple person" friendly as they require a basic understanding of trading and look completely shady. Coinbase is working towards the general user base, but even at this point it takes days to get purchased funds. It almost needs to be dumbed down.

It has always been my opinion that the easiest way of adoption would be a bitcoin debit card that works similar to the current debit card system.  However they wouldn't be tied to actual addresses, but rather accounts. The account would generate a new address when sending as it currently does and a pin would be required to uncover the private key to move funds.

Where bitcoin currently is excelling is in tech savvy people. There has been a small subset who have adopted bitcoin to gamble. Especially in the US. I don't see the masses flocking to BTC for at least another 3 years.

MahaRamana

Activity: 338

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 02:36:44 AM

Massive adoption by nearly everyone in most major economies would bring the price of Bitcoin to 1 million USD and more. I don't say it will happen, but if it happens, this is the kind of figure we are looking at. Not 100K.

Strong inflation of the FIAT currencies which is happening right now and accelerating would also multiply the nominal value of Bitcoin over the years. If real inflation reaches more than 20%, which it will, we are looking more into 10 million USD per BTC in the best case scenario within 10-20 years.

But full adoption is not a certainty of course. However, even a 5% adoption can bring the value of bitcoin to 100 000 in the next few years.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: