Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:39:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Observer Effect (take 2: over $1000 by 21 July - 8 Aug)  (Read 14209 times)
JulieFig (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 05:20:09 AM
Last edit: July 12, 2014, 07:59:10 AM by JulieFig

Hi all,

I posted this in the Wall Observer Thread, but thought I would just put it in its own individual thread for posterity's sake.

I whipped up the following chart when we were stagnant in the 400's (the blue line) and was waiting to see if the channel I arbitrarily assigned would hold, and it was a pleasant surprise to see the price hit the lower boundary and begin rising (the red line).

I also found that the bubbles (or peaks, if you would prefer to call them that) seem to occur approximately every 234 days (an observation already mentioned on this forum) - with the minimum time between peaks being 213 days and the maximum time being 235 days. Considering there have been six peaks, that is a very small degree of variability for such a notoriously volatile phenomenon as Bitcoin.

I then isolated these peaks and noticed that (bar the June 2011 peak), the others very closely follow their own exponential trend which puts the next peak at approximately $4,900 (again, aligning with other predictions being tossed around the forum).

If you extrapolate this trend further, it puts the March 2015 peak at a whopping $26,300!

One last interesting point of note... the run-up to the bubbles, whilst varying in duration, does appear to assume the same velocity. Assuming we hit the top of the channel in the next run-up, this price velocity has us commencing the notorious bull-run within the next 10-20 days. Is it just a coincidence that the 1w MACD crossover looks likely to occur in a similar time-frame?.....

Final disclaimer (before someone else invariably says it): Past behaviour is no indication of the future.

... but it sure is interesting...

TL;DR - If this expected bull-run does proceed as anticipated, will it be because we expect it to occur? And when the bubble pops, will this again be because we expect the bubble to pop? I would imagine any self-fulfilling prophecy effects such as this will become dampened as the number of users (and thus, sample size) increases?

1ACcUJkhaCjb9LuzdHkuTj3rEwhx5PZ3mk

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DolanDuck

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 05:46:36 AM

This bull run was predicted since two years and if the trends continues, we will see btc breaking through 100000 in 2016,
this seems fatascientific but with the adoption spreading everyday more could be realistic, and we all hope so  Smiley

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 06:18:23 AM

Great graph!  We seem to be right on schedule.  Wink  looking forward to an exciting month or two!

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
JulieFig (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 06:21:24 AM

Great graph!  We seem to be right on schedule.  Wink  looking forward to an exciting month or two!

You're a "Senior Member" now - congratulations! We need more high-ranked uber-bulls like you  Wink.

Morbid
Legendary

Activity: 1202
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 06:31:40 AM

though the more of us aware of this trend the less predictable it becomes. the bursts will get harder.
the_sunship

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 07:00:33 AM

Good to see some quantum theory on here. I agree, we see what we expect.
Benjig

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 07:08:51 AM

This bull run was predicted since two years and if the trends continues, we will see btc breaking through 100000 in 2016,
this seems fatascientific but with the adoption spreading everyday more could be realistic, and we all hope so  Smiley

It alk depends on the trader sentiment, theres some point when holders and common people start thinnking "its very expensive" so then they start dumping their coins and the bulls have to wait for those weakhands to go away
bitleif

Activity: 351
Merit: 250

I'm always grumpy in the morning.

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 08:14:26 AM

Your channel seems to be based mostly on the last two peaks. In particular there doesn't seem to be much basis for the lower part of your channel. I know it's just an approximation, but have you considered using a slightly "bendy" channel to fit the data? Over time you would expect the exponential trend to flatten out after all.

Unless to da moon literally means I'm going to be rich enough to buy the moon  Wink
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2014, 08:32:25 AM

Your channel seems to be based mostly on the last two peaks. In particular there doesn't seem to be much basis for the lower part of your channel. I know it's just an approximation, but have you considered using a slightly "bendy" channel to fit the data? Over time you would expect the exponential trend to flatten out after all.

Unless to da moon literally means I'm going to be rich enough to buy the moon  Wink

You need to take into account the fact that the last two peaks were when the block reward was 25, the ones before were at 50.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
JulieFig (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 08:43:33 AM

You are right, and as I mentioned, the channel I have drawn is purely arbitrary. I did place more 'weight' on the later peaks in order to assign the channel boundaries as the user-base was much larger at these times, arguably giving more credibility to the data.

Yes, there is some point at which this exponential trend will flatten out, as you also mentioned - for instance, SlipperySlope's prediction has it petering off at $1,000,000. If that does eventuate, I would say we have already arrived at the moon, no?  Wink

TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 08:47:17 AM

The channel seems unbalanced in that on the left side of the chart, most of the action is in the upper part of the channel or even way above the channel.
Wolf Rainer
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1022

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 08:49:10 AM

I don´t know what im going to do. I need to sell my btc to pay bills, but i know it will keep on rising and im going to lose money, but i sell or i sleep in the streets.
JulieFig (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 09:05:04 AM

The channel seems unbalanced in that on the left side of the chart, most of the action is in the upper part of the channel or even way above the channel.

You're missing the point I think. That channel is purely arbitrary and was in no way used to make those predictions. I simply included it to give myself a bit of a visual 'safety net' for price fluctuations. It is helped me greatly in the small trades I have made.

Thylacine

Activity: 115

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 09:10:22 AM

Now I don't know whether to buy a house next year - or wait until we hit $100K and buy two.  Huh
T.Stuart

Activity: 644

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 09:23:04 AM

I don´t know what im going to do. I need to sell my btc to pay bills, but i know it will keep on rising and im going to lose money, but i sell or i sleep in the streets.

Sleep on the streets until 2016 and then contact the national newspapers.  Wink

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 09:32:29 AM

Great similarity to "rally" 3 or 4 on your chart would mean a very small rally. Hopefully we'll share the length with the second one this time. Although, that would result in a very very long bear market. The last shake-out? Wink
spndr7
Legendary

Activity: 1020
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2014, 09:55:51 AM

I then isolated these peaks and noticed that (bar the June 2011 peak), the others very closely follow their own exponential trend which puts the next peak at approximately $4,900 (again, aligning with other predictions being tossed around the forum).

If you extrapolate this trend further, it puts the March 2015 peak at a whopping $26,300!

One last interesting point of note... the run-up to the bubbles, whilst varying in duration, does appear to assume the same velocity. Assuming we hit the top of the channel in the next run-up, this price velocity has us commencing the notorious bull-run within the next 10-20 days. Is it just a coincidence that the 1w MACD crossover looks likely to occur in a similar time-frame?.....

Great observation !!

If 4900 is not achieved in next peak, instead BTC manages to reach just 2500 $,
then 26300 $ target should be decreased exponentially ?

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 10:52:33 AM

Agreed, seems to be in line with other predictions, not really new information, but verifies old information.

The next bubble will likely either  confirm or deny many of our theories. Altough I hope it confirms them, as that would make bitcoin very predictable to people who know their shit.

Great observation !!

If 4900 is not achieved in next peak, instead BTC manages to reach just 2500 $,
then 26300 $ target should be decreased exponentially ?

That would mean bitcoin would grow MUCH slower than it did before, and that it's reaching the stages of late adoption. Unlikely to happen this soon. We are nowhere near full adoption yet.
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 11:45:19 AM

Now I don't know whether to buy a house next year - or wait until we hit $100K and buy two.  Huh

Why would you want to buy two houses  Huh
segeln

Activity: 602

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 12:33:07 PM

no Explanation needed
sorry, Insertion of Image doesn`t work
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: