Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:55:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which token should Hive support next?  (Read 11884 times)
teletobi

Activity: 734
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 07:50:37 PM

NXT should be next!

Join the Elastic revolution!  Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC WEBSITE | NEW ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
darkota

Activity: 770

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 09:05:29 PM

anything but NXT. that 5 stakeholder 100% premined scam doesnt need anything supporting it.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 09:25:12 PM

I would strongly advise that you consider what you're doing a little more deeply. We're currently in this manic phase of new alt-coins, where every idea, ranging from the *very* few good/interesting ideas, to the irrelevant tweak/scam-coins, gets a day or three in the sun. It's clear that 99+% of the alt coins out there will not last, and that almost definitely includes what many would consider some of the top alts today.

The damage to crypto-currency in general caused by the current alt-mania is non-trivial. The existence of non-technically-interesting alt coins gives credence to the crypto-currency naysayers who insist that the entire space is a flash in the pan because alts prove you can't have digital scarcity. We only play into the hands of this argument by supporting alts.

I'm a firm believer that we'll only end up with 3 or 4 coins long-term (and we have *no idea* which those are going to be yet) and that they'll serve distinct market niches due to meaningful technical differentiation. This situation would actually be somewhat analogous to how the precious metals markets developed; there are only a few that carry non-industrial value.

I just hope that leading companies in the crypto space *do* consider these meta-dynamics and aren't just looking for short-run boosts to their own userbase at the expense of the long-run health of the entire community.

Choose wisely.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
krisdavison

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 10:08:37 PM

I'd love to see Feathercoin supported on your platform. Smiley
darkota

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 11:07:33 PM

Nxt all the way brada

Newbie shill account for NXT detected.
Ezravdb

Activity: 1680
Merit: 506

Trphy.io

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 11:11:32 PM

Please consider adding Nxt! Thanks

Our developers are reachable on http://nxtforum.org

░▒░░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▓███▓░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
 ▓███▓                     
  ████░                     
  ▒████                     
   ░███▓                   
     ▓██▓                   
       ███░                 
         ▓█▓░               
           ▓█▒  ██         
           ▓█   ██▒         
        ░███░ ▒  ▓██▓       
        ▓█▒▓█▓█▓▓█▒▓█       
|
|

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
wendell

Activity: 92
Merit: 20

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2014, 03:15:05 AM

I would strongly advise that you consider what you're doing a little more deeply. We're currently in this manic phase of new alt-coins, where every idea, ranging from the *very* few good/interesting ideas, to the irrelevant tweak/scam-coins, gets a day or three in the sun. It's clear that 99+% of the alt coins out there will not last, and that almost definitely includes what many would consider some of the top alts today.

The damage to crypto-currency in general caused by the current alt-mania is non-trivial. The existence of non-technically-interesting alt coins gives credence to the crypto-currency naysayers who insist that the entire space is a flash in the pan because alts prove you can't have digital scarcity. We only play into the hands of this argument by supporting alts.

I'm a firm believer that we'll only end up with 3 or 4 coins long-term (and we have *no idea* which those are going to be yet) and that they'll serve distinct market niches due to meaningful technical differentiation. This situation would actually be somewhat analogous to how the precious metals markets developed; there are only a few that carry non-industrial value.

I just hope that leading companies in the crypto space *do* consider these meta-dynamics and aren't just looking for short-run boosts to their own userbase at the expense of the long-run health of the entire community.

Choose wisely.

Hive is a supporter of Token Neutrality:

• We do not believe it appropriate that wallet makers hold bias towards one token or another.
• We find arguments for artificial digital scarcity well-reasoned, but ultimately delusional.

No doubt the semantic framing of this topic is responsible for most of the confusion. If one swaps the word 'currency' for 'shares' as Daniel and Stan of Clan Larimer have been suggesting, things look quite a bit different. These two brilliant pieces are recommended reading for everyone:

http://bitshares.org/a-bitrose-by-any-other-name/
http://bitshares.org/the-end-of-cryptomoney/

We at Hive agree that so-called crypto-currency is not money—even if it can be used that way, and even if it is sometimes convenient to describe it that way. We're actively working on our language, but let me be crystal-clear about that perspective now.

I know that $1,000,000/BTC was an exit strategy for a handful of people, but there's nary a prayer of it playing out that way. We of Earth love our novelty, and I in particular find the idea of artificial digital scarcity so painfully fucking boring that I'm going to spend my time making your world view more difficult to sustain, as both a career and a hobby.

hivewallet.com • humint.is • spinjar.me • vizor.io • xbalances.com • inkpad.io
Sebastien256

Activity: 715

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 03:22:46 AM

I would vote for Nxt.

Nxt official forum at: https://nxtforum.org/
hivewallet (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 325

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2014, 03:49:49 AM

Okay NXT people, we get it. :-)

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn
Melbustus
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 04:21:07 AM

Choose wisely.

Hive is a supporter of Token Neutrality:

• We do not believe it appropriate that wallet makers hold bias towards one token or another.
• We find arguments for artificial digital scarcity well-reasoned, but ultimately delusional.

No doubt the semantic framing of this topic is responsible for most of the confusion. If one swaps the word 'currency' for 'shares' as Daniel and Stan of Clan Larimer have been suggesting, things look quite a bit different. These two brilliant pieces are recommended reading for everyone:

http://bitshares.org/a-bitrose-by-any-other-name/
http://bitshares.org/the-end-of-cryptomoney/

We at Hive agree that so-called crypto-currency is not money—even if it can be used that way, and even if it is sometimes convenient to describe it that way. We're actively working on our language, but let me be crystal-clear about that perspective now.

I know that $1,000,000/BTC was an exit strategy for a handful of people, but there's nary a prayer of it playing out that way. We of Earth love our novelty, and I in particular find the idea of artificial digital scarcity so painfully fucking boring that I'm going to spend my time making your world view more difficult to sustain, as both a career and a hobby.

Wait, are you serious? I honestly couldn't tell without reading that twice, but I *think* you actually *are* being serious...

Which is awful. Especially if you work with crypto for a living. None of this works AT ALL without scarcity. The entire point of bitcoin, and altcoins for that matter, is recording the transfer of a scarce asset. Without scarcity there really is no asset, or at least no reason to record the transfer of it, since there's no value. How do you not get that*?

You can make arguments for supporting alts in your wallet if you like, but to categorically refute the validity of digital scarcity is just asinine.

* or maybe I'm just being expertly trolled...?

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
El Dude

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 04:40:51 AM

anything but NXT. that 5 stakeholder 100% premined scam doesnt need anything supporting it.

This

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 05:00:14 AM

Okay NXT people, we get it. :-)

Ok, and just this last one from me for NXT and we're done Wink
Connect to a public node and use its API, easy as pie.
juicyjuice87

Activity: 490

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 05:30:42 AM

Nxt all the way brada

Newbie shill account for NXT detected.

No noobs here mate. I got banned by simply mentioning the word 'nxt' in the btc fourm!  They must be scared of something right?
wendell

Activity: 92
Merit: 20

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2014, 06:02:48 AM

Wait, are you serious? I honestly couldn't tell without reading that twice, but I *think* you actually *are* being serious...

Which is awful. Especially if you work with crypto for a living. None of this works AT ALL without scarcity. The entire point of bitcoin, and altcoins for that matter, is recording the transfer of a scarce asset. Without scarcity there really is no asset, or at least no reason to record the transfer of it, since there's no value. How do you not get that*?

You can make arguments for supporting alts in your wallet if you like, but to categorically refute the validity of digital scarcity is just asinine.

Digital scarcity within the framework of a single token—that of course makes sense. But expecting everyone to value your assumptions equally re: precisely which token(s) are important ("artificial digital scarcity")? That is a non-starter, a fact which should be obvious to anyone who knows that human beings are not uniformly rational, nor uniformly in possession of the same set of needs and desires.

Let me be clear: I love Bitcoin, I hold Bitcoin, and (for now) we run Hive on it, exclusively... But I still feel that these arguments against other tokens are spurious at best. See my point about semantics.

tl;dr: I am indeed trolling you, but not in the way that you may think.

hivewallet.com • humint.is • spinjar.me • vizor.io • xbalances.com • inkpad.io
Melbustus
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 06:33:53 AM

Digital scarcity within the framework of a single token—that of course makes sense.

Well, you can't have infinite tokens (I'll acquiesce and use your word of choice for now) with scarcity within each and still have scarcity over all, if there's functional crossover between tokens. However broad a domain you're considering, there must be scarcity somewhere or else there is no value.

But expecting everyone to value your assumptions equally re: precisely which token(s) are important ("artificial digital scarcity")? That is a non-starter, a fact which should be obvious to anyone who knows that human beings are not uniformly rational, nor uniformly in possession of the same set of needs and desires.

Kinda thinking you're taking my points out of context here and fighting a different battle... Not quite sure what, though.

To clarify my arguments, if bitcoin loses ultimately, and there are other coins with long-run value, that's fine. That just can't happen arbitrarily (or seemingly arbitrarily) or the world will not boardly adopt crypto-currency (or tokens...(semantics)). You are either pissed about something else, or are severely misunderstanding how *most* humans work.

Let me be clear: I love Bitcoin, I hold Bitcoin, and (for now) we run Hive on it, exclusively...

Good.

But I still feel that these arguments against other tokens are spurious at best. See my point about semantics.

Disagree. I don't particularly care what series of letters you use to describe a slot on a blockchain. The point is what those slots can be used for, and money is a fantastic use for them. There are indeed more uses, but it's near-ideal for money. All of our monetary constructs have boiled down to providing a memory function. On the surface it's ludicrous that hunks of metal ever held value above their industrial use, but turns out they provided the societal exchange memory function pretty darn well (until humans developed the need to transact over distance). Rai stones are obviously one of the most cited examples of the memory concept being taken to an extreme, and bitcoin is, for the way our society currently interacts, the intellectual pinnacle of this money-memory function. For now, anyways.

To realize those functions we can't have blockchains falling in and out of favor willy nilly. Luckily (in our short history) that has not yet happened, and I'm only interested in the crypto space because I'm reasonably confident it'll continue to not happen. Essentially, if bitcoin is unseated, most of the humans will have to pretty readily be able to describe why, or else confidence in the memory function will be lost and people won't use a decentralized construct for such anymore, having tested and disproved the notion that it can be accomplished without an entity demanding use of it by force.

tl;dr: I am indeed trolling you, but not in the way that you may think.

Indeed.

str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 07:00:26 AM

Counterparty
Nawaytes

Activity: 476
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 07:17:23 AM

agreed, NXT I will support.
will be great.
Aricoin_Mike

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 07:38:55 AM

Definitely Nxt is among the ones to support.
wesleyh

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 08:42:04 AM

you can message me if you have questions about the nxt api or simply post a message on http://nxtforum.org
Daedelus

Activity: 574

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 08:43:57 AM

you can message me if you have questions about the nxt api or simply post a message on http://nxtforum.org

+1, Nxt devs in da house  Cool

Cheesy
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: