Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:12:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: p2pool mining. Am I doing it correctly? [pics included]  (Read 5180 times)
hongus (OP)

Activity: 736
Merit: 100

Adoption Blockchain e-Commerce to World

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 08:15:03 AM
Last edit: February 15, 2012, 08:45:17 AM by hongus

Okay, I have no clue how to mine using p2pool and I'm trying to make the change from deepbit. In the screenshot above, am I mining bitcoins? And if so, where do the bitcoins go because I didn't provide an address.

EDIT: i'm getting more stale than valid :\

"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
eviltt

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 10:33:06 PM

Looks pretty good.

I just made the switch from traditional pool mining to p2pool myself.  definitely something feels off at first so I know how you feel.  Just let it crunch away for a bit and see what happens.  As for the stales, that might be guiminer, I tried with GuiMiner on my 4870x2, and it was just bad overall.
wabber

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 05:52:31 PM

Are you running bitcoin-qt only? Then your mining reward will go directly to your wallet you can see with your bitcoin client. The only thing you should take a look at is the Local hashing rate, p2pool says is around 50MH/s but GuiMiner says its 250MH/s. Did you make that screen shot right after you launched p2pool?

Check http://localhost:9332/graphs if your Local hashing power is around 250MH/s

It will take a while until you get your first payment from p2pool but in total you will get way more than from deepbit if run it for a few weeks.
echris1

Activity: 125

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 08:08:42 AM

I also notice you don't have any incoming connections.  Try opening port 9333 in your router/firewall for the computer p2pool is running on. I might be wrong, but this can help with stales or rejects since you get your work announced to more people faster.
hongus (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 01:01:30 AM
Last edit: March 14, 2012, 01:36:05 AM by hongus

Okay I've been mining like this for a couple of hours now but the Current Payout: 0.0000 BTC is a little concerning. How long does it take to get some payout? Also I have no idea wtf is happening in both command prompts, I'm scared of command line. It'd be great if someone told me what all those random letters and numbers mean.

EDIT: I found 1 share in about 5 hours and my BTC payout is now .0063 BTC. Is this normal?

echris1

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 02:06:10 AM

Alright, lets see here.

I'll start with what your seeing.

cgminer gives you a lot of info, I know Q, A, R and HW are queue, accepted, rejected, and hardware errors, not sure what all the next line is but it is in the cgminer thread somewhere.  

The real important numbers (or at least what most people watch) are the GPU temp, its fanspeed, and the hashrate.  From what I'm seeing that all looks normal (of course I don't know what card you have, so I can't tell you if the hashrate is right, but you probably know where it is supposed to be)

All of the longpoll requests are also perfectly normal, because P2Pool finds a block about every 10 seconds, so everyone ends up with that many long polls.  

On to the P2Pool window.

The P2Pool lines are stats about P2pool, including total hashrate, total stale rate, and how long it will take P2Pool to find another block  (on average)

The next line starting local is stats having to do with your miners.  It should be a total of all the miners you have, and in your case it looks about right again.  This number can fluctuate a bit wildly with P2Pool sometimes, something to do with how it calculates hashrate.  The one in cgminer will always be accurate.  The local dead on arrival stat is how many shares your miners submitted that got to your P2Pool too late.  Yours a bit high, you might want to try running cgminer with the -g 1 option (1 thread per GPU) this can help reduce the number of local doas and the amount of longpolls you see.

Last line is about your shares.  This counts P2Pool shares, so it will be much lower than the accepted number in cgminer.  You should be getting a share about every 2.5 hours based on your screenshot.

Finally it tells you your stale rate, which isn't always accurate because it starts over every time you restart p2pool, but should become pretty accurate after it has been running long enough.  Effeciency has to do with your stale rate compared to everybody else's, The higher you are on the range shown, the better, although anything above 100% is fine.  These numbers will stay at "Huh?" (those are supposed to be question marks, but I don't feel like digging to see how to turn off autosmilies) until you actually find a share and it has some actual math to do.

When you find another share, your payrate should go up, until you have been mining for about 24 hours on P2Pool, then it should stabilize and only change when P2Pool total hashrate changes.

Well, there we go. It's a lot of information I know.  I hope it's helpful, and if I made any mistakes someone please point them out to me.

hongus (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 07:16:06 AM

Thanks so much. That was really useful. All the longpolling things were scaring me. One last thing though. When I try to OC the card using cgminer it gives me "Failed to modify engine clock speed". Then when I try to use MSI afterburner, the settings don't save and the same with Catalyst. Why can't I OC my card when using cgminer?

echris1

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 10:04:21 AM

If you can't change your settings with the tools, they are probably limited by your graphics cards BIOS, and you would have to flash it to change them.  Having never done that I can't really help you out, although I know it is easier to do on reference cards.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 01:28:46 PM

I find OC-ing using Sapphire Trixx the easiest. No need for flashing and the kind.
hongus (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 05:14:20 PM

The thing is that I can always OC when cgminer isn't running. But when cgminer is running, I can't OC on cgminer or any other tools.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: