Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:29:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If bitcoin ever goes mainstream  (Read 29017 times)
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 12:09:12 PM

It's inevitable (that Bitcoin will go mainstream), but fiat isn't going anywhere any time soon.  Plenty of time for people to divest.  I know I'd keep some USD in a USD side chain. Grin

The question is to what level of mainstream? A few large merchants and a handful of stores on the street, or many large merchants and many more on the highstreet. Hopefully we'll see a slow growth through both stages.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 12:28:53 PM

The question is to what level of mainstream? A few large merchants and a handful of stores on the street, or many large merchants and many more on the highstreet. Hopefully we'll see a slow growth through both stages.

Unless Bitcoins are accepted by a significant portion of the merchants (may be 20-30%), we won't be able to call it as a mainstream currency. Adoption by a few big names will definitely give a boost to the exchange rates, but that alone will not make the currency mainstream. A lot of challenges are ahead... especially the government regulations.  Grin
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 12:57:04 PM

Unless Bitcoins are accepted by a significant portion of the merchants (may be 20-30%), we won't be able to call it as a mainstream currency. Adoption by a few big names will definitely give a boost to the exchange rates, but that alone will not make the currency mainstream. A lot of challenges are ahead... especially the government regulations.  Grin

I think 20-30% is very reasonable within the near future. It's exciting to watch it grown and see where it goes regardless.
Finchy

Activity: 315
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:00:02 PM

Define mainstream. I think itll be mainstream if merchants like amazon and ebay accept it along with many more and various real-world shops around the globe.
Mikez

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:06:36 PM

Mainstream is a pretty relative notion. In my opinion, I already consider it mainstream, as I use it everyday since.. a long time and a lot of my friends use Bitcoin as well.
So among my entourage is quite popular and mainstream, even more than PayPal Smiley.

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

Come original.

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:13:15 PM

I guess that's a good definition ie its mainstream when we use it daily.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:13:45 PM

Mainstream is a pretty relative notion. In my opinion, I already consider it mainstream, as I use it everyday since.. a long time and a lot of my friends use Bitcoin as well.
So among my entourage is quite popular and mainstream, even more than PayPal Smiley.

I don't think we can call it anywhere near mainstream yet. It might be getting talked about in the mainstream but it's not been implemented yet.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:20:42 PM

I don't think we can call it anywhere near mainstream yet. It might be getting talked about in the mainstream but it's not been implemented yet.

I think we can call it mainstream when we see it on every single website. Still a path ahead, maybe in 4-8 years

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:31:51 PM

I think we can call it mainstream when we see it on every single website. Still a path ahead, maybe in 4-8 years

I think every-single website is a bit extreme for it to be considered mainstream.
JJB

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:34:27 PM

Definitely. Paypal is mainstream but not every shop online accepts it.
FNG

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:38:33 PM

I know many bitcoiners have an anarchist/libertarian perspective of the world, therefore, they look at the government as a bad thing.

But the creation of a government controlled by the people is one of the most important political inventions of humankind. We managed to tamed the most powerful institution on Earth: the Leviathan of Hobbes. If the government would disappear tomorrow, I think we know what would happen: most streets would be controlled by violent groups. We would living on a brutal feudalistic system in no time.

The state has important functions on stimulating the economy on depressions and social functions supporting the poor that seem to be unviable or hard to execute on a monetary system where money is finite and it's in the hands of a group of pioneers (our hands).

Take the creation of the money from the hands of a democratic government (I know in many countries that power isn't in the hands of democrats), make it finite, and in the hands of a group of pioneers, and rest assure that justice won't be served.

But my text isn't about justice. There is little that we can do. I certainly won't try to convince governments to destroy bitcoin. They will have to do their home work. It's only about taking conscience of what might happen.

Be careful with what you want, because it might come true.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLO...EM
Trading (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033

Nothing like healthy scepticism and hard evidence

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:57:59 PM

Don't forget that the US isn't the world.

In many countries, you can't buy anything with bitcoin. You might even have a hard time or have to pay heavy fees to find someone willing to exchange bitcoins for the local money.

Calling the present situation as mainstream seems very far-fetching.

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
Mudd

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 02:17:31 PM

You can't buy much with it now really but more and more merchants are accepting it daily across the world.
Marlo Stanfield

Activity: 490
Merit: 280

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 02:28:15 PM

Will the volatility of bitcoin ever end?
The increase of its users will keep bitcoin's price going up. However, because supply and demand is controlled by human perceptions and emotions, after a huge boom in price it will always come a bust. Every overshooting of the price will be followed by a general perception that the price increased too fast and, consequently, by a drop.
For volatility to end, it would be necessary a general adoption of bitcoin that would limit further increases for lack of enough new persons to make a substantial difference in demand. But since the numbers of bitcoin are limited, that would also require or a stagnant GDP or a fractional reserve system based on bitcoin that would allow its banking numbers to artificially increase side by side with GDP. That won't happen for years. Volatility is here to stay for long.

I think this is a reasonable assessment. I agree that the volatility isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I think you're right that it will have to get to the point where the emotions of the crowd are not the driving factor on upswings or sell offs.
Finchy

Activity: 315

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 02:36:42 PM

The increase of its users will keep bitcoin's price going up. However, because supply and demand is controlled by human perceptions and emotions, after a huge boom in price it will always come a bust. Every overshooting of the price will be followed by a general perception that the price increased too fast and, consequently, by a drop.
For volatility to end, it would be necessary a general adoption of bitcoin that would limit further increases for lack of enough new persons to make a substantial difference in demand. But since the numbers of bitcoin are limited, that would also require or a stagnant GDP or a fractional reserve system based on bitcoin that would allow its banking numbers to artificially increase side by side with GDP. That won't happen for years. Volatility is here to stay for long.

I think this is a reasonable assessment. I agree that the volatility isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I think you're right that it will have to get to the point where the emotions of the crowd are not the driving factor on upswings or sell offs.

Volatility is going to be a big issue I think and I'm not actually sure if it will ever end.
Trading (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033

Nothing like healthy scepticism and hard evidence

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 03:07:35 PM
Last edit: June 06, 2014, 06:19:37 PM by Trading

Changed the wording of this paragraph to make it more clear, even if the reasoning is still the same.

The goal was to write the minimum possible, without affecting the intelligibility of the ideas.

I'm afraid perceptions on the price being "overbought" will never disappear.

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 03:13:28 PM

... Because I doubt bitcoin will bring much prosperity, since it will establish a deflationary monetary system. ...

LOL at people that talk about deflation (falling prices) as a bad thing and inflation (rising prices) as a good thing.

A must see Peter Schiff video:

Deflating Food Package Sizes is Evidence of Inflation
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 03:20:24 PM

Volatility is going to be a big issue I think and I'm not actually sure if it will ever end.

It is like a body of water. The smaller it is the bigger the waves. As we add depth in the form of market capitalization it will level off.  

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 07:16:41 PM

Freedom is a completely abstract notion. You are technically taking power away from the government by promoting Bitcoin, however you are in turn giving power to a select handful of people who have large holdings of coins. It doesn't give the power to collective society (if anything democratically elected governments do so on the behalf of the people) but instead some individuals.

No. The rich do not have the power to demand we act in certain ways, lest we be caged or murdered. Only the insane belief in the authority of governments leads to that power.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 07:19:41 PM

If the government would disappear tomorrow, I think we know what would happen: most streets would be controlled by violent groups. We would living on a brutal feudalistic system in no time.

Please compare and contrast: your nightmare scenario, with; the system we have now.]

Government takes half of what I create, and forces me to certain behaviors. The only real difference I see in the above is that somehow, the masses seem to believe that governmental trasngressions are moral.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: