Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:38:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thread about GPU-mining and Litecoin  (Read 33230 times)
Fuzzy

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 09:54:56 AM

Reaper crashes if I run it at default worksize of 256

It runs at worksize 128, but I get the same old "Couldn't connect to server" timeout message, no matter if I'm solo or pool mining.

I should put a 1 BTC bounty on this...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitPorium

Activity: 590

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 11:06:10 AM

not working on my 7970.....
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 02:33:10 PM

release the source code guys

In the meantime, nothing bad has happened.  The chain is alive and being hashed more than ever and it still has a lot of value.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 04:05:53 PM
Last edit: March 02, 2012, 04:19:48 PM by dishwara

I still don't know what is in the code.

Some one has to reverse engineer it to know what it has, it may be sending some information or anything to those who need.

It works on my Win 7 , 64 bit with out any problems, but in the beginning, it gave some errors, now working at  
~226kH/s on a 5870 running at 850/1200 clk.

This is my screen. I still don't know why other cant mine.
Also its very strange that most hero members who against it not saying anything about testing or working or not working.....

tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 08:02:53 PM

The kernel build uses code that is specific for 58xx or 69xx GPUs... only people who own those may mine, it crashes or mines stales for everyone else.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
localhost

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 08:34:32 PM

The kernel build uses code that is specific for 58xx or 69xx GPUs... only people who own those may mine, it crashes or mines stales for everyone else.
I do have a 5870. It's not crashing, it just fails to connect to pool/daemon.

-
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:25:02 AM

Some one has to reverse engineer it to know what it has, it may be sending some information or anything to those who need.

It works on my Win 7 , 64 bit with out any problems, but in the beginning, it gave some errors, now working at  

Also its very strange that most hero members who against it not saying anything about testing or working or not working.....

What's your opencl runtime/SDK version?

I'm getting this:
Code:
\|||||||||||||||||||||/
-  Reaper v13 64-bit  -
-   coded by mtrlt    -
-    DEMO VERSION     -
/|||||||||||||||||||||\

I'm now mining litecoin!
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
List of platforms:
        0       ATI Stream
Using platform number 0

0       Cypress
Binary status error code: -42
Binary loading error code: -42
Error while building from binary: -11
Program built from saved binary.
Kernel build not successful: -46
2012-03-02 21:31:49 Error: Error creating OpenCL kernel
Using Windows 7, with 2x 5850. I find it strange that it detects only 1 device, but in reality, there are 2.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Fuzzy

Activity: 560

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 06:28:49 AM

I've posted a whopping 1 BTC reward for help to figure this out.
dishwara
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 07:12:51 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2012, 07:51:30 AM by dishwara

opencl/SDK  

AMD APP SDK Runtime : 2.5.793.1
AMD Display driver : 8.911.0.0000

Windows 7, 64 bit is on my pc.

May be aggression also causing problem.
I use 14 instead of 16 or 18.
grimd34th

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 06:12:36 PM

I'm getting this:
Code:
\|||||||||||||||||||||/
-  Reaper v13 64-bit  -
-   coded by mtrlt    -
-    DEMO VERSION     -
/|||||||||||||||||||||\

I'm now mining litecoin!
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
List of platforms:
        0       ATI Stream
Using platform number 0

0       Cypress
Using Windows 7, with 2x 5850. I find it strange that it detects only 1 device, but in reality, there are 2.
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555
this should fix it
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2012, 12:25:58 PM

The original purpose of Litecoin is to be a CPU coin where anybody with their computer can mine litecoins. What has happened with Bitcoin is that GPU mining on bitcoin was a lot more efficient, so a lot of people starting mining bitcoins with GPUs. This pumped up the difficulty and made CPU mining unprofitable and therefore pointless. I don't want this to happen to Litecoin and I think most people agree with me on this.

Recently, there has been some rumors that mtrlt has modified his GPU miner to work with Litecoin. And he claims to have been able to create a GPU miner that outperforms CPU miner by a lot. Of course, all this could be FUD thrown at Litecoin by Solidcoin supporters. But I have talked to mtrlt about this and he seems genuine. So I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Here's what I'd like to accomplish:
1) Figure out if GPU mining litecoins is indeed more efficient. And if so how much better is it.
2) Do we want to switch to a new hashing algorithm that is more GPU-hostile.
3) If we do want to switch, there are a ton of other questions. Can we modify scrypt params or do we need something totally different. How far away do we do the algorithm switch? How do we get miners/pools/clients ready for the switch so that there's no downtime?

Everyone, please refrain from SolidCoin bashing in this thread. And SolidCoin supporters, please refrain from posting unless you have something constructive to say. Thanks.

any further thoughts on this?
I think it would be good to be a cpu only coin again,
tho the retards have already said they will enjoy the challenge of getting it working on gpu...

IMO Litecoin loses its point unless its CPU only Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
localhost

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 03:34:22 PM

Clearly, yes. Now instead of being more accessible to everyone than BTC (because everyone has an okay CPU while not everyone has an okay GPU), LTC is accessible only to the few who are lucky enough to have the GPU miner working properly... Huge step backwards. The only positive effect is that it seems the BTC hashrate lowered a bit recently.

-
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 08:16:42 PM

I'm getting this:
Code:
\|||||||||||||||||||||/
-  Reaper v13 64-bit  -
-   coded by mtrlt    -
-    DEMO VERSION     -
/|||||||||||||||||||||\

I'm now mining litecoin!
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
Share thread started
List of platforms:
        0       ATI Stream
Using platform number 0

0       Cypress
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555
this should fix it
already have that installed

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
fivebells

Activity: 462

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 10:38:58 PM

tho the retards have already said they will enjoy the challenge of getting it working on gpu...

The speedup over a CPU is less than an order of magnitude.  It's not fatal.
ShadowAlexey
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 968
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 07:09:41 AM

Well, this might be interesting for NVidia GPU,couse they might perform even better than AMD.(we have to wait for sources if there will be some)
This could make system stronger, there is still no need of being afraid(increase is not so dramatical).
But it is still interesting if we will increace memory capacity to 0.5mb per core, this should make cpu faster, but they were some one saying that gpu wont suffer from it more than cpu, so it is still interesting to see the sources,because gpu memory even waving more bandwidth is still much higher latency than cpus cache, so it is interesting what is the way the kernel is made.
dishwara
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 07:13:33 AM

Well, this might be interesting for NVidia GPU,couse they might perform even better than AMD.(we have to wait for sources if there will be some)
http://solidcoin.info/reaper.html
I think it works on both NVidia & AMD GPUs
ShadowAlexey
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 968
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 07:22:29 AM

I doubt that,becouse there are precompiled kernels for 2 videochips only, both of them are AMD.
dishwara
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 07:24:03 AM

I doubt that,becouse there are precompiled kernels for 2 videochips only, both of them are AMD.

yes
tatsuchan

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 09:30:30 AM

The original purpose of Litecoin is to be a CPU coin where anybody with their computer can mine litecoins. What has happened with Bitcoin is that GPU mining on bitcoin was a lot more efficient, so a lot of people starting mining bitcoins with GPUs. This pumped up the difficulty and made CPU mining unprofitable and therefore pointless. I don't want this to happen to Litecoin and I think most people agree with me on this.

Recently, there has been some rumors that mtrlt has modified his GPU miner to work with Litecoin. And he claims to have been able to create a GPU miner that outperforms CPU miner by a lot. Of course, all this could be FUD thrown at Litecoin by Solidcoin supporters. But I have talked to mtrlt about this and he seems genuine. So I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Here's what I'd like to accomplish:
1) Figure out if GPU mining litecoins is indeed more efficient. And if so how much better is it.
2) Do we want to switch to a new hashing algorithm that is more GPU-hostile.
3) If we do want to switch, there are a ton of other questions. Can we modify scrypt params or do we need something totally different. How far away do we do the algorithm switch? How do we get miners/pools/clients ready for the switch so that there's no downtime?

Everyone, please refrain from SolidCoin bashing in this thread. And SolidCoin supporters, please refrain from posting unless you have something constructive to say. Thanks.

If Litecoin can be GPU mined it is best to figure out everything about that now, and either change the model of the coin to be CPU only or figure out how to compete with a GPU based Litecoin.  The "retards" are finding out more about an experimental technology we call Litecoin.  I'd personally rather all the flaws come to light NOW than in a year after I invest even more time and resources into this coin.
localhost

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 09:40:18 AM

If Litecoin can be GPU mined it is best to figure out everything about that now, and either change the model of the coin to be CPU only or figure out how to compete with a GPU based Litecoin.  The "retards" are finding out more about an experimental technology we call Litecoin.  I'd personally rather all the flaws come to light NOW than in a year after I invest even more time and resources into this coin.
Ditto. Giving it a week or two to see how hashrate evolves and more reactions about this GPU mining stuff, then maybe pointing my last mining CPU to BOINC like the other ones. GPU mining = BTC, we don't need a duplicate. LTC was sold as being innovative because it was CPU-only, that isn't true anymore. This was to be expected, but I also thought the hashing algo would be updated to fight that... which doesn't seem to happen any time soon.

-
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: