Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:33:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: humanitarian expedition to Kenya - looking for donations  (Read 3478 times)
vuce (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 09:39:39 AM
Last edit: June 03, 2012, 09:52:33 PM by vuce

I’m posting this on behalf of a six-member team of students of the University of Ljubljana in Slovenia, that are going on a humanitarian medical expedition to Kenya. They need to raise 22000 euros for the drugs and other medical supplies, accommodations, etc. (listed below), and have so far not had much luck finding the donators.

~~ about the expedition

We are four students from Medical faculty and two students from Faculty of Health Sciences in Ljubljana.  We are planning a three-monthly voluntary humanitarian mission in August 2012 to village Majiwa in the South-West of Kenya where we will do our best to provide free medical care for local people.

GOALS OF OUR EXPEDITION:
- to provide the basic medical care for local people
- to educate and raise awareness about the proper hygiene, infectious diseases, drinkable water and adequate nutrition
- to provide financial support for treatment in hospital for patients with more serious conditions
- to get more knowledge about the tropical medicine and therefore to be more able to help the people in Slovenia
- to aware the meaning of the aid for those who need it more than we do

The expedition is a part of a bigger story – the Section of tropical medicine in Ljubljana, which operates as a part of the Medical faculty since the year 1990. It helps the students to organize the humanitarian missions to the countries with worse health care and enables additional education in the department of tropical medicine. The mission is approved by Medical Faculty in Ljubljana and Ministry of Health of the Republic of Slovenia.

For more information go to www.kenija2012.net (google translate; if requested I am willing to provide a more accurately translation of anything on the website); there you will find also confirmation of validity of our expedition issued by Medical faculty of Ljubljana and Ministry of health from Slovenia (under post Priporočila).

~~ what the money is needed for

PurposeCosts (EUR)Sum (EUR)
Medical supplies, drugs60006000
Material transport20002000
Organisation costs of the expedition10001000
General technical equipment500500
Literature200200
Transports to the hospital300300
Airline tickets6×10006000
Living costs (three months)6×5003000
Vaccinations6×150900
Anti-malaria profilax6×75450
Medical insurance6×130780
Visas6×50300
Translators in Kenya2×4×90720
Hygienic and sanitary equipment6×150900
SUM22950

~~ donating

Donate to 1kenyaDrbe2W9KfC7djWAZbAKzSR2aXdX

If anyone could spare a bitcoin (or two) or knows people who would it would be much appreciated (and you will also have that warm and fuzzy feeling to cherish).
In the unlikely event of the expedition being canceled I will return the funds to the originating address (if not otherwise requested).

I will make sure to let you know what will be bought with the donated money.
Unfortunately they will not be able to use bitcoins to buy the things needed (yes I know, blasphemy!) so I would like to find a reputable member, that would be willing to buy them (preferably at market price) on date specified below and deposit the funds via SEPA transfer to the account listed on the website of the expedition. Interested please PM me.
The coins will be sold in bulk when the goal amount is reached or on the 1st of July 2012, whichever is sooner.

If deemed necessary I am willing to provide ID (or any other information) to the moderators.

~~ contact

If you have any questions you can post in this thread, send me a PM (bitcoin related) or email the them directly.

Thank you!
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mushoz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2012, 06:47:41 PM

Very nice idea! Friendly tip: State the donation Bitcoin address on the website as well. That way, people can be 100% sure you and that expedition are connected. I'm not saying you are a scammer here! I just think more people would be willing to donate if you did it like that Wink Good luck with your expedition!

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
vuce (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 07:30:35 PM

Quote from: Mushoz
State the donation Bitcoin address on the website as well.
Working on that, as I stated I am only the intermediary (or "the bitcoin guy"), I have to discuss this with the website admin, but I will get it done.
vuce (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 12:27:10 PM

Took me a long time to get in touch with the webmaster, but finally, here it is: http://www.kenija2012.net/kako-donirati.php (under third red title)
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 01:20:51 PM

Contact Phinneas Gage and maybe the Bitcoin100 will help.
Now that you mention it, I must send them my pledge, and wouldn't mind if it was used to donate to this.

Anyway, just sent a donation now Wink
vuce (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 04:02:06 PM

Now that you mention it, I must send them my pledge, and wouldn't mind if it was used to donate to this.

Will send him a pm, thanks for the tip.

Thank you!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 04:27:05 PM

Will send him a pm, thanks for the tip.

Thank you!

http://www.blockchain.info/address/1kenyaDrbe2W9KfC7djWAZbAKzSR2aXdX
Total Received   4.191 BTC   
Final Balance     4.191 BTC

LMAO! 4+ bitcoins ain't shit! Let's see what the fuck I can do. (vulgar for humor purposes only)

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 04:41:43 PM

Unfortunately they will not be able to use bitcoins to buy the things needed...

This is not necessarily true, for...

Hygienic and sanitary equipment   6×150(EUR) = 900(EUR)

I'm sure there's some site(s) that would accept Bitcoin for these type of purchases. But, unfortunately, time may be against us, so let's focus on the next best thing--donating 100+ BTC via the Bitcoin 100.

~Bruno~
vuce (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 05:34:42 PM

Unfortunately they will not be able to use bitcoins to buy the things needed...

This is not necessarily true, for...

Hygienic and sanitary equipment   6×150(EUR) = 900(EUR)

I'm sure there's some site(s) that would accept Bitcoin for these type of purchases.

I'm sure they get this with some sort of discount from some of the local Slovenian suppliers. Paying for this in bitcoin would (I'm 100% certain of this) mean importing this from abroad, which would only drive the price up, but I'll ask them what they think anyway.

But, unfortunately, time may be against us, so let's focus on the next best thing--donating 100+ BTC via the Bitcoin 100.

~Bruno~

That would exceed my wildest expectations. Honestly I think it's sad some of the bigger companies on the donators list can't cover this (I'm sure they wouldn't even notice), but alas, there we are.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 07:33:28 PM

Not to hijack this thread, but can we continue the discussion over at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84497.0 for a few days? I'm about to ask a couple general questions.

~Bruno~
vuce (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 07:34:40 PM

Not to hijack this thread, but can we continue the discussion over at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84497.0 for a few days? I'm about to ask a couple general questions.

~Bruno~

Certainly.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 07:58:55 PM

Can I ask why you dont simply do humanitarian aid in your own country? Surely there is alot of poor and sick people in slovenia that could really appreciate the same help.

I just find it so redundant that everyone from outside africa seem to think that only africa needs help.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 08:00:01 PM

Can I ask why you dont simply do humanitarian aid in your own country? Surely there is alot of poor and sick people in slovenia that could really appreciate the same help.

I just find it so redundant that everyone from outside africa seem to think that only africa needs help.
I just find it so redundant that those inside of africa don't feel the need to help the poor starving noobs.

lol kidding, don't kill me Grin

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
vuce (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 08:05:46 PM

Slovenia actually has a very good health care system. Everyone that is sick can seek medical attention for free, so such humanitarian aid is already in place, so to speak.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 08:32:42 PM
Last edit: May 31, 2012, 08:52:20 PM by Otoh

@vuce, it's too short notice for this trip, but if they do the same thing every year & made a NPO or association, even the uni if it's non profit to manage it & the fund raising/allocation & feedback from the project then I could well be able to help them apply for funding for next & subsequent years from a foundation that supports similar ventures, see my thread on this for further details:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68162.0

& this post on it especially:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68162.msg795969#msg795969

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
vuce (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 09:43:29 PM

@vuce, it's too short notice for this trip, but if they do the same thing every year & made a NPO or association, even the uni if it's non profit to manage it & the fund raising/allocation & feedback from the project then I could well be able to help them apply for funding for next & subsequent years from a foundation that supports similar ventures, see my thread on this for further details:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68162.0

& this post on it especially:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68162.msg795969#msg795969

Looks very interesting, (at least) one of the team will register tomorrow, I will let them know about it so you can discuss this. Thanks!
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 12:13:32 AM

Slovenia actually has a very good health care system. Everyone that is sick can seek medical attention for free, so such humanitarian aid is already in place, so to speak.

Fair enough, but are you telling me there is no one on the streets,unemployed,without food etc in slovenia ? Does your government actually take care of these people.

What Im getting at is the fact that helping someone should start at home and that is continously overlooked in the world.

Everyone rush to africa, year in and year out, yes its miserable situations but you could actually do the same good for poor people in your own country(refering to everyone now) and see potentially more real worth come out of it than to rush to another continent just to return the next year and the next ad infinity since the potential good is immediately destroyed when you leave.

Ill concede if in fact there is no one you could help in your own country who also could need the same support that you are prepared to offer to kenyans.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 01:07:23 AM

Fair enough, but are you telling me there is no one on the streets,unemployed,without food etc in slovenia ? Does your government actually take care of these people.

What Im getting at is the fact that helping someone should start at home and that is continously overlooked in the world.

Everyone rush to africa, year in and year out, yes its miserable situations but you could actually do the same good for poor people in your own country(refering to everyone now) and see potentially more real worth come out of it than to rush to another continent just to return the next year and the next ad infinity since the potential good is immediately destroyed when you leave.

Ill concede if in fact there is no one you could help in your own country who also could need the same support that you are prepared to offer to kenyans.

they're medical students, offering basic medical care, that's covered by the state in their country, it isn't in Kenya I assume, they get experience & do good that otherwise wouldn't be done, it's not immediately destroyed when you leave, FFS if you were untreated for some condition you wouldn't say such BS, of course the funds raised could be used towards the homeless etc in their country but you've totally missed the point, they wouldn't be - they are being raised for something else, try & broaden your horizons maybe

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
vuce (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 07:03:52 AM

they're medical students, offering basic medical care, that's covered by the state in their country, it isn't in Kenya I assume, they get experience & do good that otherwise wouldn't be done, it's not immediately destroyed when you leave, FFS if you were untreated for some condition you wouldn't say such BS, of course the funds raised could be used towards the homeless etc in their country but you've totally missed the point, they wouldn't be - they are being raised for something else, try & broaden your horizons maybe

This is exactly what I was about to say and couldn't have said it better myself. Don't get me wrong, Clipse, I agree wholeheartedly. I don't think there's a country in the world that doesn't have people who need financial support, but that has very little to do with the idea of this expedition, as Otoh already stated.
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 07:23:41 AM

If you assume an African life has the same value as one in your own country, you can do a whole lot more in Africa than at home. Where I live, I dont think there a lot of babies to save with 10 euro and installing a water well isnt going to make life better for hundreds or thousands.

That said, if you want value for money, our energy and money would be better spent trying to improve the political situation over there. Sadly we are doing the exact opposite Sad

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: