Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:28:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Community at its Worst  (Read 3315 times)
bitsire

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 07:24:16 PM

reddit is hardly an example of community, look what they did with Doge, they basically kicked moolah out with their aggressiveness and censorship.

Yup, Reddit and Doge go hand in hand, like Dumb and Dumber.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 08:33:02 PM

Wait.   Lets regroup:

How long are we going to keep saying "This needs to be addressed" ?

Who is the person that is supposed to address it?

Where has that person / group placed this issue in the queue?

This is one of those things that people keep saying we need to address, but it never gets addressed.

Why is that?

What steps are being taken to fix the lack of progress?

If its the core dev team, they have a process in place for reporting issues, changes, enhancements.   Where is this specific issue in that queue?

If its the miners, then who is organizing the communication and putting together a process to get a concensus and get this resolved now?

Decentralized systems don't have a central organizing entity for situations like this. 

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 08:53:12 PM

Uh, okay.
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 08:58:13 PM

bitcoin is supposed to be about people who question authority, but i see a lot of mob mentality with bitcoiners.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 09:46:37 PM

bitcoin is supposed to be about people who question authority, but i see a lot of mob mentality with bitcoiners.

nah bitcoin is not about questioning authority. its about knowing authorities will only reply with lies.

so instead, bitcoiners make their own rules that dont need outside control. doesnt need anyone owning us. where we do the research, we do the decision making and we form our own opinions, and help out who we think we want to help out

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
acs267

Activity: 644

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 09:51:49 PM

Was I dead, or did I not see everyone in the Bitcoin community taking part in this? There's around a million people or so in Bitcoin right now. Whoever you saw doing it was probably a small fraction, considering, I go on Reddit and on here and didn't see anything of the sorts.

Yup, every Bitcoiner has 'mob mentality'.  Roll Eyes You deserve a medal, or better, a Citizen Kane clapping GIF.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 09:54:40 PM

Was I dead, or did I not see everyone in the Bitcoin community taking part in this? There's around a million people or so in Bitcoin right now. Whoever you saw doing it was probably a small fraction, considering, I go on Reddit and on here and didn't see anything of the sorts.

Yup, every Bitcoiner has 'mob mentality'.  Roll Eyes You deserve a medal, or better, a Citizen Kane clapping GIF.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Frijj

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 09:58:00 PM

Reddit is terrible. I hate that place. It seems its always the most aggressive that gets noticed and it's a shame.
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 10:49:58 PM

The funny thing is that we are joining bitcoin because it's decentralized, but we still tend to prefer using the biggest exchange, the biggest pool, the biggest wallet. Etc

In essence we are centralizing a decentralized system by picking a favorite.

To truly keep bitcoin decentralized we should encourage competition. However to have competitors succeed the competitors should offer at least similar benefits than the most popular one, which can sometimes be hard.

Bingo!
They say history repeats itself. Left to our utmost freedom we end up centralizing, We end up pushing the difficulty higher and higher because WE want to have the fastest miner, and it's a matter of time before we have bitcoin banks.

Sad but true.  This I fear will be the reality of bitcoin...hard to keep so precious a thing decentralized for long.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 11:33:58 PM

Reddit is terrible. I hate that place. It seems its always the most aggressive that gets noticed and it's a shame.

They also like to shut down political discourse that disagrees with the residents of their echo chamber. No thanks.

Bibop

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:09:23 AM

Every population needs to deal with their criminals. its not the bitcoins problem. its the humanity
twistyfy

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:34:26 AM

Is it safe to come out again?

I say this because on Sunday we saw the very worst of the so called 'Bitcoin Community' (apologies to most on this forum as probably the silent majority also watched) on both this forum and Reddit where literally hundreds of vitriolic, aggressive, threatening etc posts / conversations were sprayed out left right and center attacking the CEX.IO / GHash.IO entity, including death and violence threats to owners / users of that service.

It was totally pathetic and to me it showed one very good reason why Bitcoin has a lot of growing up to do. No, not because of the 51% issue (yes that does need to be addressed, but by the industry participants / guardians of the Bitcoin protocol themselves collaboratively) but because of the type of poisonous rhetoric that came forth over the past day or so. Just imagine a newbie to crypto currency having a look at this new opportunity doing a bit of research on the so called informative forums to be presented with the type of crap that was seen. They would quickly retreat back to the 'Yeh Mt.Gox and angry trolls is what Bitcoin is all about to me'

How can we have an industry grow and encourage innovation and expect mainstream uptake when companies that offer services people want to use get attacked and vilified because they are doing a good job and attracting customers over and above their competitors. Lets all attack Intel they have too many processors in the computer ecosystem, lets all attack Apple they have far too many mobile phones in the mobile ecosystem.

So for me, Bitcoin Community needs to learn a lesson from this and look at a way of collaboratively addressing the underlying issue.

It's safe again! No worries
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 12:53:17 AM

nah bitcoin is not about questioning authority. its about knowing authorities will only reply with lies.

so instead, bitcoiners make their own rules that dont need outside control. doesnt need anyone owning us.
QFT.

They lie because they believe themselves to be our masters, by right of their fancy titles and elections won by marketing teams. They back up this authority with violence.

I disagree, and I say any government is an unjust tyrant if they must rely on force instead of reason.

"Whoever lays his hand on me to govern me is a usurper and tyrant, and I declare him my enemy."
-Pierre Joseph Proudhon

"To be GOVERNED is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so. To be GOVERNED is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted, registered, counted, taxed, stamped, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished, prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of the general interest, to be place[d] under contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized, extorted from, squeezed, hoaxed, robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, the first word of complaint, to be repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, hunted down, abused, clubbed, disarmed, bound, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed; and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, dishonored. That is government; that is its justice; that is its morality."
-Pierre Joseph Proudhon, 1851, from The General Idea of the Revolution in the Nineteenth Century

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
guanyikclkv8593

Activity: 484
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:08:01 AM

I say this because on Sunday we saw the very worst of the so called 'Bitcoin Community' (apologies to most on this forum as probably the silent majority also watched) on both this forum and Reddit where literally hundreds of vitriolic, aggressive, threatening etc posts / conversations were sprayed out left right and center attacking the CEX.IO / GHash.IO entity, including death and violence threats to owners / users of that service.

It was totally pathetic and to me it showed one very good reason why Bitcoin has a lot of growing up to do. No, not because of the 51% issue (yes that does need to be addressed, but by the industry participants / guardians of the Bitcoin protocol themselves collaboratively) but because of the type of poisonous rhetoric that came forth over the past day or so. Just imagine a newbie to crypto currency having a look at this new opportunity doing a bit of research on the so called informative forums to be presented with the type of crap that was seen. They would quickly retreat back to the 'Yeh Mt.Gox and angry trolls is what Bitcoin is all about to me'

How can we have an industry grow and encourage innovation and expect mainstream uptake when companies that offer services people want to use get attacked and vilified because they are doing a good job and attracting customers over and above their competitors. Lets all attack Intel they have too many processors in the computer ecosystem, lets all attack Apple they have far too many mobile phones in the mobile ecosystem.

So for me, Bitcoin Community needs to learn a lesson from this and look at a way of collaboratively addressing the underlying issue.

hope is to increase adoption in order to dilute the Bitcoin community so that it is no worse than the average American
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:27:29 AM

hope is to increase adoption in order to dilute the Bitcoin community so that it is no worse than the average American

As an average American I think we should aim higher.  Grin

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:32:38 AM

The reason the rhetoric became so barbaric and horrifying is because in capitalism, most people value money more than they value life (human included).

I saw the same thing happen in the physical world of my community (NYC) during the last gas crisis. People threatening each other, fist fights, one guy even pulled a gun on someone at a gas station.

If humanity is going to survive the 21st century, we need to abandon all violence and instead turn to reason to solve our problems. Like it or not, that means moving beyond capitalism and the nation-state, both of which rely on systemic, hierarchical violence to exist. Remember, our world is a zero-sum game between reason and violence. As one increases, the other diminishes.

Let's choose reason - let's choose life, fellow humans. Humanity can do better than war. Humanity can do better than poverty and starvation. Humanity can do better than capitalism.

What is your definition of Capitalism?
Are you against free markets?

acs267

Activity: 644

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 03:53:12 AM

More like the average citizen. Why would you just center out on 'the average American' or any Nationality in general? They're still human beings, some human beings are 'worse'. I don't get how comparing it to a 'average' American works out?
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 04:34:34 AM

This is one of those things that people keep saying we need to address, but it never gets addressed.

Why is that?

Because those whinging about how 'this needs to be fixed' would rather whinge than act.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 08:07:43 AM

Why is that?

Because those whinging about how 'this needs to be fixed' would rather whinge than act.

By we need to fix this they generally mean someone else needs to fix it. I don't see a lot of coders among the whiners.

pirsquared

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 05:24:28 PM

reddit is hardly an example of community, look what they did with Doge, they basically kicked moolah out with their aggressiveness and censorship.

I don't use reddit. They lost me when they decided to censor peoples political beliefs.

I'm finding the same thing. And r/bitcoin is no different. The admins will heap together downvotes on stories that they would prefer to not see on the front page or just delete threads altogether. Don't call something a community when it is really an oligarchy. Information should be left to it's own merits, and admins and mods should see only that the forum rules and etiquette be followed. Information filtering/censorship is wrong and damaging for the community.

It's good that schools got computers for the kids to learn on in the 90's, but you should have to pass an internet ethics course before being allowed to use the internet Wink. The conversation can deteriorate into what sounds like Halo or Call of Duty gaming chat rather quickly. It is frustrating.

Disclaimer: I still read reddit.

If you HODL store it CODL!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: