Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:01:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Coming Digital Anarchy (must read!)  (Read 1941 times)
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 05:02:58 PM

digital anarchy? the cable companies, at least in the U.S., are basically decoupling themselves from net neutrality laws.. they are going to become absurdly powerful.
That kind of blatant tyranny could be just the kind of spark the sleeping citizens need...

i doubt it. i've been saying that for a while, and nothing has happened. all they'll do is just put more money into lobbyists, while most people are occupied with working/providing for their families.. or occupied watching reality tv shows.
Beliathon (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 05:19:44 PM

Google will come to our rescue.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 05:31:57 PM

Once "they" get their hands on it they will pervert it.

No ... they must spend it.
Because, we, the people only want to be pay with "real" money.
beetcoin

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 05:33:55 PM

the cost for installing fiber optic connections is currently too expensive for google to make any significant splash. people are becoming more desperate for it though, so maybe google can pre-charge people for installations and then give them credits after everything is running.
Beliathon (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 05:43:47 PM

the cost for installing fiber optic connections is currently too expensive for google to make any significant splash.
If the major ISPs get their way, you will find many wealthy people suddenly willing to throw massive funds at google to make cost a non-issue. I am one such person.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
beetcoin

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 05:49:31 PM

the cost for installing fiber optic connections is currently too expensive for google to make any significant splash.
If the major ISPs get their way, you will find many wealthy people suddenly willing to throw massive funds at google to make cost a non-issue. I am one such person.

i don't know if that's quite enough.. the major ISPs already have a strong connection with lobbyists in washington.. and probably with the FCC as well. google can end up winning the fight though, but they'd have to go up against comcast/time warner/verizon/att/cox.. that's a pretty big task there.
Beliathon (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 05:50:50 PM

i don't know if that's quite enough.. the major ISPs already have a strong connection with lobbyists in washington.. and probably with the FCC as well.
Blockbuster video had strong connections with the rich and powerful too. So did the newspaper industry. So did the FAX industry. So did the Nazis, for that matter.

beetcoin

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 05:56:16 PM

i don't know if that's quite enough.. the major ISPs already have a strong connection with lobbyists in washington.. and probably with the FCC as well.
Blockbuster video had strong connections with the rich and powerful too. So did the newspaper industry. So did the FAX industry. So did the Nazis, for that matter.

what did blockbuster need lobbied? and how strong was their connection? because i know one thing: ISPs have been lubing politicians for a long, long time now. and it's not just one, but 5 or more big ISPs that can throw tons of money at them. they have so much sway that they are now removing net neutrality laws, which gives them even more power.
Beliathon (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 06:07:28 PM

what did blockbuster need lobbied? and how strong was their connection? because i know one thing: ISPs have been lubing politicians for a long, long time now. and it's not just one, but 5 or more big ISPs that can throw tons of money at them. they have so much sway that they are now removing net neutrality laws, which gives them even more power.
For every political action there is an equal and opposite political reaction. Haven't you been paying attention? The backlash against this breach of trust has been ENORMOUS and non-stop.

We still have until September to stop those net-rigging rules from becoming laws of the land.

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:06:47 PM

digital anarchy? the cable companies, at least in the U.S., are basically decoupling themselves from net neutrality laws.. they are going to become absurdly powerful.
That kind of blatant tyranny could be just the kind of spark the sleeping citizens need...

They will destroy themselves. As alternative options grow we don't need the dinosaurs anymore. 

hloren70

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:32:26 PM

I cant wait to see blockchain tech used for national votes! No more stuffing ballot boxes  Grin
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 11:25:26 PM

I cant wait to see blockchain tech used for national votes! No more stuffing ballot boxes  Grin

That would be spectacular. We have never had an accurate election in the US.

Satan666

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

The love of fiat is the root of all good

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:32:44 AM

Once "they" get their hands on it they will pervert it.

Yes, we will.  We're working on some Bitcoin derivatives now.  Stay tuned.
beetcoin

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:44:01 AM

They will destroy themselves. As alternative options grow we don't need the dinosaurs anymore.  

are you talking about the ISP companies? if this net neutrality issue continues, i really hope google, netflix, amazon, and other companies that rely on the internet band together to expand a fiber optic network that would destroy them.
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:47:43 PM

But the developers who worked on Bitcoin believe that it represents a technological breakthrough that could sweep into obsolescence everything from social networks to stock markets... and even governments.

The world would be a much better place without fiat currencies.  However, if that happens, I don't see crypto-currencies making governments obsolete, just smaller.  Without the ability to borrow on a massive scale or impose an inflation tax and with the difficulty of enforcing an income tax, they'll have to rely on other sources of revenue like sales taxes and property taxes.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
Beliathon (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 06:57:52 PM

I don't see crypto-currencies making governments obsolete, just smaller.  Without the ability to borrow on a massive scale or impose an inflation tax and with the difficulty of enforcing an income tax, they'll have to rely on other sources of revenue like sales taxes and property taxes.
I agree, some governments will be hit harder than others. The ones that will suffer greatly are those that wager half their nation's economy on a military industrial complex, since they are entirely dependent on never-ending inflation to feed the monster. These types of violence-prone governments will be the hardest hit by the forced obsolescence of their fiat scrip. Places like Sweden will survive the transition relatively unscathed.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: