Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:29:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you like to block the FBI coins from being sold until there is a fair and public trial?  (Voting closed: June 27, 2014, 12:42:11 AM)
Yes, block the coins! - 41 (22.4%)
No, let the FBI have them! - 128 (69.9%)
Not sure. - 14 (7.7%)
Total Voters: 183

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MINERS UNITE! Block the FBI coins. Do not fund violent underground organizations  (Read 10019 times)
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:25:06 AM

Isnt it impossible to "block" coins. What kind of bullshit is that.

If it is possible(which would be pretty damn stupid), then do not block the fbi coins....would look pretty stupid for bitcoin overall if that ever happened.

It is possible for the coins to be blocked.  Just like it is possible for the FBI to give them to Seans Outpost.  It COULD happen.  It just won't.  
QFT and all that needs to be said, really.

yep. bitcoin is supposed to stand for neutral transactions; not to force change in things that you don't like. otherwise, that would defeat the purpose and it would just be a continuation of the establishment/status quo.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4412

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:42:10 AM

bitcoin developers should never ever put code in to block any particular coin

however if you have a problem such as the recent topics of satoshi's hoard and fbi's hoard. how about get off your lame asses and email all the exchanges that deal with FIAT, and complain to them to ensure they do not allow the FBI to cash out.

oh by the way you dont have to get off your lame asses to send an email. yet you get the solution you truly want, without fucking up the bitcoin protocol. also your showing some active solution to your problem and not just whinging about it on a forum

Cheesy

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
kwoody

Activity: 454

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:53:23 AM

1 bitcoin must always be worth 1 bitcoin, otherwise the protocol is useless.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 03:04:46 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungibility

If Bitcoins aren't fungible then they aren't a currency and have no purpose or value.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 03:07:46 AM

If it is possible(which would be pretty damn stupid), then do not block the fbi coins....would look pretty stupid for bitcoin overall if that ever happened.

It is possible for the coins to be blocked.  Just like it is possible for the FBI to give them to Seans Outpost.  It COULD happen.  It just won't.  
Don't be so sure. Eventually it will happen. And first signs are already there. Prioritizing transactions gets done. De-prioritizing (to zero) will come.
Of course it might happen, if enough fools think that destroying fungibility is a good thing.
BitBlitz

Activity: 285

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 03:08:47 AM
Last edit: June 15, 2014, 03:06:06 AM by BitBlitz

This has been asked before.  Not gonna happen..

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
merockstar

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

BTS: merockstar420

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 03:20:13 AM

It's tempting, how often is there an avenue for the good guys to fight back?

But if the community were to sanction this we'd be lowering ourselves to their level and compromising our values.

It would destroy Bitcoin's hard earned legitimacy and the price would go plummeting as speculators saw how easily they could be deprived the value of their holdings.
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 04:37:03 AM

I don't want to block the coins, I want to watch the US government make the terrible mistake of trading precious BTC for worthless fiat this early in the fiat->crypto transition, so we can all later laugh at them for their folly.

I want the clever folks who buy these coins to make out like bandits at the FBI's expense. This will be a "stupid government" joke for the rest of history.

I wonder which one of these:

Top Ten Economic Mistakes of History

will be replaced with:

In 2014, the former government of the USA sold almost 3 trillion satoshis for less value than a single ton of gold. By the year 2100, their value exceeded the value of all mined gold in the entire planet.

Sidenote: In the year 2100, the fiat currency earned from the sale of those bitcoins wouldn't even buy a pizza!

rhino34567

Activity: 288

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 04:45:17 AM

I don't want to block the coins, I want to watch the US government make the terrible mistake of trading precious BTC for worthless fiat this early in the fiat->crypto transition, so we can all later laugh at them for their folly.

I want the clever folks who buy these coins to make out like bandits at the FBI's expense. This will be a "stupid government" joke for the rest of history.
Good one. I prefer to make fun of the "government" for thinking that they own the silkroad coins.

The blockchain is neutral. It is up to payment accepters to filter out Bitcoins.
This is not anymore possible after the coins circulate again. Now is the time.

How boring. This has already been discussed (at length, multiple times) and it hasn't happened. Get some fresh ideas.

Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come”, Sir Victor Hugo 1852

The organization you speak of has those coins because the operator of the marketplace was unable to protect themselves even though fantastic tools were (are) available.

How about starting a campaign to teach people to protect themselves instead.
You should start this campaign which I will support. It is your idea. People make mistakes. This is their nature.

I wonder which one of these:

Top Ten Economic Mistakes of History

will be replaced with:

In 2014, the former government of the USA sold almost 3 trillion satoshis for less value than a single ton of gold. By the year 2100, their value exceeded the value of all mined gold in the entire planet.

Sidenote: In the year 2100, the fiat currency earned from the sale of those bitcoins wouldn't even buy a pizza!

This, plus, why lose our own values?

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 04:59:46 AM

WTF is wrong with you people !

This is our chance to stick it to "the man" and to show the world the power we have with our cryptos !

FYI.. The price is guaranteed to drop if the goverment is allowed to keep it and the mt gox piles.

edit

I wouldn't count on GHash.IO for anything..  --->> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=327767.0

They should also be considered a threat.

Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 05:20:30 AM

blocking coins.... are you actually serious or is this thread a joke ?
if we block coins why not block coins to BFL or somewhere else.
really bad idea to put it nicely.

as others said, fbi will still get their money, thus pointless.........

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 05:30:46 AM

Don't be so sure. Eventually it will happen. And first signs are already there. Prioritizing transactions gets done. De-prioritizing (to zero) will come.

That is not the same.  It actually takes a 51% attack to DE-prioritize to zero.  Any pool or solo miner can include the transaction.  It takes 51% of the hashing power to ACTIVELY block the transaction not just neglect to include it. 

Cicero2.0

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 05:49:14 AM

this idea seems like it would set a dangerous precedent. If people decide to start blocking coins doesn't that defeat the purpose of bitcoin?
Therefore you need to define your purpose of Bitcoin. My purpose is probably not your purpose.

My purpose is a stable currency that retains value that I can access in the future. Your idea would do the opposite. I don't really get into the whole political side of things but wouldn't it be better for everyone if they didn't have any coins?

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 06:27:57 AM

Great idea!  I suggest you write to the top 10 pool operators and suggest it to them.  I predict the following outcome with each and every pool operator you contact -

You to all people who believe in and support the Bitcoin idea, but specifically to the pool operators:  I have a great idea how we, and by we I mean you, can really "stick it to the man"!!!  Go buy yourself a shotgun, aim it at your foot and then pull the trigger!  Wouldn't that be great?  I came up with this idea all on my own!  If you do it I believe all the other pool operators and full nodes will join you - I am pretty sure of it.  

Pool operators (ever last one of them):  What the hell are you talking about?  Are you some kind of fucking retarded moron?

Try it.  Not one single pool operator is going to do what you suggest - no matter how many times you suggest it and no matter how many stupid threads you start and no matter how many idiotic polls you take, because

1) It will hurt them to blow off their own foot.
2) It will not hurt the man, at all.  Not even a tiny little bit.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4412

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 06:47:18 AM

everyone voting yes. please display YOUR public addresses. and then show a transaction of you sending ALL your bitcoins to either seans outpost ( a worthy and proven bitcoin charity) or send them to the bitcoin devs...

oh wait i can psychically hear your thoughts. you suddenly find bitcoin valuable and you dont want others having your coins without your consent. and you certainly dont want to lose them..

oh i hear ya, hypocrit

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:02:20 AM

I for one have very little love for a number of the corrupt practices of our (US) government...however the proposal to specifically block only those coin(s) wouldn't bode well for bitcoin's future imho.

Once we start down this path to start excluding the "man" from being able to cash out his coins how could we possibly claim any sort of moral higher ground?  Wouldn't this essentially make us no different than they?

Anyhoo, doing this would absolutely tank the price of BTC I suspect.  That $10 by the end of the month prediction ole whats-his-name made might just actually come to pass if this action is carried through.

*my 2 cents

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:54:27 AM

MINERS UNITE! It is finally time to stop violent tax-funded underground organizations like the FBI from exploiting the people who they were once supposed to protect!

1) All-caps and bold text do not make points more valid.

2) "MINERS UNITE" basically translates to "let's centralise Bitcoin".  If anything, I would cry out: "Miner's disassociate!".

3) If you want to stop tax-funded underground organisations then stop paying taxes.

4) I'm not even from the US.  Why on earth should I support the destruction of Bitcoin because people in a foreign land don't have the balls to stand up for themselves?
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 09:01:48 AM

Lol...OP has no idea what BTC really is and why it was created. BTC was creates to prevent exactly THAT scenario. Someone taking your money w/o your knowlage.

Gianluca95
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1196

Reputation first.

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 09:21:58 AM

I'm not sure about the action that you're proposed because, you playing with FBI, not any one  Grin

█████████████████████████████
███▀█████████████████████▀███
███  ▀▀███████████████▀▀  ███
███     ████▀▀ ▀▀████     ███
███     ██▀       ▀██     ███
███     ██         ██     ███
███     ██▄       ▄██     ███
███     ████▄▄ ▄▄████     ███
███  ▄▄███████████████▄▄  ███
███▄█████████████████████▄███
.Mixin Safe.

▄███████▄     
██▀   ▀██
             ▄███████▄
██▄   ▄██             ██▀   ▀██
▀███████▀             ██▄   ▄██
   ███     ▄███████▄  ▀███████▀
   ███▀▀   ██▀   ▀██     ███
   █████   ██▄   ▄██     ███▀▀
   ▀▀▀     ▀███████▀     █████
              ███        ▀▀▀
              ███▀▀
              █████
              ▀▀▀
2/3 Multisig Decentralized
Bitcoin Custody Solutions
💎
💪
🔓
CONFIDENT
RELIABLE
RECOVERABLE
..GET STARTED..
spooderman
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 10:08:05 AM

Everyone else has already pointed out the flaws.

You destroy an essential element of what makes bitcoin bitcoin. Neutrality.

It's the same as when you set up a violence monopolising morally sanctioned gang who destroy the world and kill millions of people because you want to force other people to pay for schools and roads.

edit: and yes, why would you want to force the FBI to keep the most valuable thing it has? Let it sell one of the world's greatest inventions for worthless shit that it is determined to ruin the value of!

Society doesn't scale.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: