Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:05:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you like to block the FBI coins from being sold until there is a fair and public trial?  (Voting closed: June 27, 2014, 12:42:11 AM)
Yes, block the coins! - 41 (22.4%)
No, let the FBI have them! - 128 (69.9%)
Not sure. - 14 (7.7%)
Total Voters: 183

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MINERS UNITE! Block the FBI coins. Do not fund violent underground organizations  (Read 10019 times)
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 10:12:39 AM

You destroy an essential element of what makes bitcoin bitcoin. Neutrality.

And you blow up the idea of decentralisation with it. There is nothing decentralised about a system where the developers are free to make any change they like and it must be implemented, nor where all miners can simply pick and choose what they want to do. I mean, yes, if these mining pools were ridiculously morally bound they might agree to boycott any txs but you'd never get every single pool on board anyway and eventually one of those will find a block.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 10:15:59 AM

I didn't read the whole thread. I didn't even read the whole starting post.
I just want to Point out, that any Manipulation of BTC is a bad Thing, like I did many times before. Regardless of your "good intentions"

People who agree to this stupid idea, just don't understand Bitcoins

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 10:19:56 AM

I would love to see this :
1.FBI deposits those seized bitcoins lets say to bitstamp
2. bitstamp puts news that it has been hacked
3. only FBI coins are stolen..
4. bitstamp reopens in 1 hour Tongue
5.send those coin to non existant address

hhaha that would be apsolute trolling
spooderman
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 10:23:34 AM

Haha, or whoever buys them gets the BTC, but they pay using paypal, and reverse the charge two days later.

Society doesn't scale.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 12:43:32 PM

Haha, or whoever buys them gets the BTC, but they pay using paypal, and reverse the charge two days later.
Those are both funny ideas but here is what is being proposed:

1. People who want the BTC and want to help take it mainstream send a $200,000 cash deposit to the USMS (http://www.usmarshals.gov)
2. These people who are our people who want to buy and own and promote Bitcoin bid on the 10 lots of 3,000 BTC
3. Some of them win the bidding and send about $1.5 million dollars cash (minus their $200,000 deposit) per 3,000 BTC won in the bidding
4. Once the cash clears the USMS bank account the USMS attempts to send them the 3,000 BTC these people have paid for
5. Due to this proposal they are unable to transfer the BTC to the new owners
6. USMS says "sorry Charlie" we are not responsible for the actions of the Bitcoin network.  "Take it up with them"

"The man" ends up with about 15 million dollars cash.

You have just screwed over the large investors who were trying to take Bitcoin mainstream.

I am sick of you drooling idiots that make and support this proposal over and over.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 12:46:15 PM

Miners unite, block OP and his toughtless topics on this forum!

darkota

Activity: 770

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 12:48:29 PM

So it seems that if the Devs of bitcoin wanted, they could simply "block" someones coin and send it out on the next bitcoin update....

Thats the most fucking piece of bullshit crap ive ever seen/heard. That kind of makes bitcoin useless and will never gain mainstream acceptance....

We need to take that ability away, to freaking block coins....Take it away now so its impossible to do that kind of crap...Knowing that it's possible is such a dissapointment for bitcoin..
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 12:49:57 PM

So it seems that if the Devs of bitcoin wanted, they could simply "block" someones coin and send it out on the next bitcoin update....

Thats the most fucking piece of bullshit crap ive ever seen/heard. That kind of makes bitcoin useless and will never gain mainstream acceptance....

We need to take that ability away, to freaking block coins....Take it away now so its impossible to do that kind of crap...Knowing that it's possible is such a dissapointment for bitcoin..
It is not possible.  These proposals are just stupid people posting about things they do not know anything about.  Do not worry.  It is not going to happen and it is not possible.  You are the reason I even respond to them, because people like you start to believe their bullshit and get worried.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 12:59:08 PM

It is not possible.  These proposals are just stupid people posting about things they do not know anything about.  Do not worry.  It is not going to happen and it is not possible.  You are the reason I even respond to them, because people like you start to believe their bullshit and get worried.

Yeah dont get upset by that crap. Guy has no idea what he's talking about. He's so deep inside box that he has no idea how "outside" looks like.

darkota

Activity: 770

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:17:16 PM

Yeah dont get upset by that crap. Guy has no idea what he's talking about. He's so deep inside box that he has no idea how "outside" looks like.

Ok got it!
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 02:33:04 PM

What the hell makes you think BTC is the "the coin of the future" ?

It has already failed with its promises of anonymity and decentralization, so how is a little community intervention goin to hurt ? lol

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 02:49:11 PM

What the hell makes you think BTC is the "the coin of the future" ?

It has already failed with its promises of anonymity and decentralization, so how is a little community intervention goin to hurt ? lol
Damn hippies.

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 03:42:05 PM

Kiss

lol !

edit

WOOT !

Some of the "unsure" voters have fallen off the fence. Tongue

blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 03:46:02 PM

Even if we forget the fact that this would centralize bitcoin, the FBI were within their rights to seize those coins and therefore there is no reason why the coins should be blocked
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 03:27:07 AM

Even if we forget the fact that this would centralize bitcoin, the FBI were within their rights to seize those coins and therefore there is no reason why the coins should be blocked

You obviously have no idea of how vile and corrupt these maggots are.

http://youtu.be/I2bnd-OdwMo

What if they are planning to use them as part of a 51% attack ?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=650330.0

edit

WTF ! Smiley Its freaky to hear FOX speaking the truth for a change ! Grin

GOO FOX !

RepublicSpace

Activity: 145
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 08:34:42 PM

Rather than blacklisting the FBI address, why not get miners to charge massive transaction fees on spends originating there?
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 08:44:49 PM

Rather than blacklisting the FBI address, why not get miners to charge massive transaction fees on spends originating there?
Let's think this one through and see if it has any chance:

1) Some or even most of the miners decide to charge extra fees on transactions from the FBI.
2) Some do not go along.
3) The FBI does not pay the extra fees.
4) Eventually the transactions get put into blocks by the miners that do not agree.

Darn.  Still can't use the Bitcoin network to promote your personal feelings.  Shucks.

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 10:50:53 PM

FORK them, before they fork us !

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:05:10 AM

this idea seems like it would set a dangerous precedent. If people decide to start blocking coins doesn't that defeat the purpose of bitcoin?

Not really, as long as there is a majority vote.

If a majority agrees he reason is a good enough reason, they could decide to block it.

Personally I'm pretty neutral in this case. But I'm unlikely to actually join in blocking any transactions. Except maybe if proof was found that an address belongs to a scammer and the proof is good enough.

FBI seized coins well... It's a bit of a hard decision but I think the whole war on drugs is indeed a bit silly. If people want to destroy their own lives with drugs it's their own responsibility. And I believe making drugs illegal only causes more problems because illegal drugs are more profitable. If drugs were legal they would be cheap and there would not be much incentive to sell them anymore.

I'm  not sure how blocking the FBI coins would affect the price, but I guess it would have a positive effect on the price as long as there is no reason to believe the majority of the users will go berserk and block a lot of addresses for minor reasons or even pure greed.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:10:18 AM

If you think this is a good idea, go ahead and fork the client and fork the blockchain.  Then see who and how many people agree.  We'll have two coins, bitcoin and some other alt-coin.  Everyone who has bitcoin will also have the same number of coins on the alt-chain.

This type of thing has been discussed many times and none of the people who think this is a good idea ever do anything.  For heavens sake, all the people who want to ruin the fungibility of bitcoin just go ahead and make the patches, fork everything, and release them once and for all so we can put this issue to bed with everyone either thinking it is a great idea or a terrible idea.

I think most people will be dumping the alt-coin and buying more bitcoins, but actually doing it will give hard evidence as to who likes it and who doesn't.   So, please just start coding and release the alt-coin already.

I don't want to block the coins, I want to watch the US government make the terrible mistake of trading precious BTC for worthless fiat this early in the fiat->crypto transition, so we can all later laugh at them for their folly.

I want the clever folks who buy these coins to make out like bandits at the FBI's expense. This will be a "stupid government" joke for the rest of history.
Good one. I prefer to make fun of the "government" for thinking that they own the silkroad coins.

The blockchain is neutral. It is up to payment accepters to filter out Bitcoins.
This is not anymore possible after the coins circulate again. Now is the time.

How boring. This has already been discussed (at length, multiple times) and it hasn't happened. Get some fresh ideas.

Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come”, Sir Victor Hugo 1852

The organization you speak of has those coins because the operator of the marketplace was unable to protect themselves even though fantastic tools were (are) available.

How about starting a campaign to teach people to protect themselves instead.
You should start this campaign which I will support. It is your idea. People make mistakes. This is their nature.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: