Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 06:50:34 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could bitcoin save the music industry?  (Read 2585 times)
thatguyrob (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:41:24 PM

I was wondering if it would be possible to store music on the blockchain the same way the ledger is stored? Then you could sell private keys that give a program access to the data so that the music can be streamed directly from the blockchain? Is this kind of thing possible with bitcoin or another alt-coin in the future? Because this would have positive impact on the music industry as well as any other industry that are having issues with piracy. I'm just trying to stay informed about the potential impact of this technology.   
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:43:42 PM

an altcoin with a 5mb per transaction rule,,, then anything is possible.

just dont expect anyone to download the blockchain

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:48:06 PM

an altcoin with a 5mb per transaction rule,,, then anything is possible.

just dont expect anyone to download the blockchain

Actually, they could store licensing info on the blockchain.
So, no need for 5mb Wink

jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:51:25 PM

I can't imagine how big the blockchain would be if the actual music is stored on it. The purpose of the blockchain is to solve the trust issue on an open ledger. Music doesn't need that. It would be pointless to create a music blockchain.
S4VV4S

Merit: 502

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:54:23 PM

I can't imagine how big the blockchain would be if the actual music is stored on it. The purpose of the blockchain is to solve the trust issue on an open ledger. Music doesn't need that. It would be pointless to create a music blockchain.

Theres no need for music to be stored on it just licensing info.
However, how is one to overcome piracy?
dwma

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:59:52 PM

You might wish to read a bit about Bitshares Music.  They're trying to tackle a similar problem, but streaming off the blockchain would be inferior to just downloading an mp3.  A specialized DAC/DAE could do this type of stuff and we may very well see it disrupt the music industry 10 years from now.  You pay the DAC and it gives you the music.  Eliminating the parasitic middlemen that have plagued the music industry for decades.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 09:02:37 PM

Because this would have positive impact on the music industry as well as any other industry that are having issues with piracy.  

This is becoming a FAQ.

• The Bitcoin blockchain uses "proof-of-work" to prevent counterfeiting.
  • The entertainment industry has been pushing to conflate unauthorized copying with counterfeiting physical goods.
  • People then confuse the Block-chain with "copy protection": when in fact, it has the opposite purpose.

People are encouraged to keep a copy of the block-chain. Most people don't bother because it is inconvenient or expensive. The only closely guarded secret in bitcoin is the private keys for spending coins. They are guarded secrets because they have no "copy protection".

Music with effective copy protection is worthless anyway: it is a means to share information. If it can't be heard, what is the point?

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
thatguyrob (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 09:13:25 PM

I see, thanks guys you gave me something to think about. It's not about the data on the blockchain it's about the ownership. So you are saying would need a completely different system to store sensitive hidden data like licence info or software keys.
thatguyrob (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 09:23:29 PM

Thanks dwma, I will look up the Bitshares Music project. So does anybody know of an alt-coin project that attempts to facilitate the transfer of ownership of encrypted or hidden data?
phillipsjk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 09:28:16 PM

Thanks dwma, I will look up the Bitshares Music project. So does anybody know of an alt-coin project that attempts to facilitate the transfer of ownership of encrypted or hidden data?

Encryption is not copy protection.

TL;DR: Your are trusting the viewer to not retain the decryption key after viewing the work.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 09:40:20 PM

Theres no need for music to be stored on it just licensing info.
However, how is one to overcome piracy?

the way i interpreted what the OP meant was actual songs were stored on the blockchain. and a program such as itunes stored privkeys. so that when a user buys a song they are just buying the privkey to access the song. the flaw i seen was a big fat blockchain bloating peoples hard drives.

the other concept as those quoted above have envisioned is that each public key represents a song licence. and that the software stores the privkeys to show users have access to the licence to then be able to play a song from a separate music cloud host. but that's then centralizing it, where musicians have to upload to a central cloud  and then get the service to sell the songs on their behalf.

i see another flaw, which affects both cases. the communication of the privkey. if a customer gets to see the privkey he can pass it to all his contacts and they get the song for free. so how to update the privkey wallet of customers, with new privkeys without them actually seeing the privkey.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
thatguyrob (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 09:58:27 PM

Could you do this using a protocol in a similar way that bitcoin does? You could force the nodes on the network to change the encryption keys during a transfer of ownership. The same way bitcoin does by signing data, hashing, then signing again. Am I wrong? Then the network could serve music to only one node at a time. Discrepancies in the protocol would result in a disconnect from the network.
phillipsjk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 10:16:31 PM

Could you do this using a protocol in a similar way that bitcoin does?
No.

bitsmichel

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 10:38:41 PM

I was wondering if it would be possible to store music on the blockchain the same way the ledger is stored? Then you could sell private keys that give a program access to the data so that the music can be streamed directly from the blockchain? Is this kind of thing possible with bitcoin or another alt-coin in the future? Because this would have positive impact on the music industry as well as any other industry that are having issues with piracy. I'm just trying to stay informed about the potential impact of this technology.  

Music copying will be possible, even if music is streamed. One could record directly from the sound output.  Back in the 80s people could did that, and that will always work.

I think the music industry needs to change business model, the current model is not sustainable. For example, an ad-based model. Place ads on a site where you can listen your songs. Each time a fan listens a song online, you get paid by the ads.  Or incorporate ads inside your mp3s (or lyrics) that people can download for free, paid by customer companies. An alternative is the Google data collection business model. To go against copying is a dead end, we are reaching the technological state where we can make atom based movies and store data inside dna.

Gianluca95
Legendary

Merit: 1196

Reputation first.

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 10:56:52 PM

No, bitcoin don't have all of this power !

If we want to save music industry, we mustn't download music from internet  Grin

█████████████████████████████
███▀█████████████████████▀███
███  ▀▀███████████████▀▀  ███
███     ████▀▀ ▀▀████     ███
███     ██▀       ▀██     ███
███     ██         ██     ███
███     ██▄       ▄██     ███
███     ████▄▄ ▄▄████     ███
███  ▄▄███████████████▄▄  ███
███▄█████████████████████▄███
.Mixin Safe.

▄███████▄     
██▀   ▀██
             ▄███████▄
██▄   ▄██             ██▀   ▀██
▀███████▀             ██▄   ▄██
   ███     ▄███████▄  ▀███████▀
   ███▀▀   ██▀   ▀██     ███
   █████   ██▄   ▄██     ███▀▀
   ▀▀▀     ▀███████▀     █████
              ███        ▀▀▀
              ███▀▀
              █████
              ▀▀▀
2/3 Multisig Decentralized
Bitcoin Custody Solutions
💎
💪
🔓
CONFIDENT
RELIABLE
RECOVERABLE
..GET STARTED..
RepublicSpace

Activity: 145
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 08:49:51 PM

maybe the question should be next: could Bitcoin replace iTunes in the music industry?
PedritoCR

Activity: 71

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 09:45:22 PM

maybe can do it that but only time will tell
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 10:30:35 PM

Interesting concept. As we know, artist are already proving that they are embracing Bitcoin. We see this with the large number of musicians who have recently begun to accept Bitcoin.

cryptozark

Activity: 112

Cryptocurrency is my new obsession

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 01:37:26 AM

People need to prove to the music industry that Bitcoin is worth embracing first.  Recently, the first major label artist announced that they were accepting bitcoin and Reddit barely flinched.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/search?q=mastodon&restrict_sr=on

Current loving EAC: ejSN43uVk4Rw4u4Etcw4RvR8mN3Rn2LPfm
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 06:59:56 PM

This is silliness, nothing can save the music industry as we know it. The future of digital content (be it music, videos, whatever) is entirely donation / crowdsource based. All information wants to be free, and it will get its way sooner or later. Ergo, copyright will soon be obsolete.

Look at Star Citizen for a good example of what is possible with a donation model.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: