Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:39:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GUIDE SETTING UP A SOLAR POWER SYSTEM  (Read 12873 times)
Lucky7Gaming

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 12:19:31 PM

Are you buying these solar panels wholesale or retail cause to me right new solar energy is costly and take like 10 years to make back your savings which they should be cut down to 5 years would be nice.     

I was looking at more like 5 years, and if you make your own panels 3.  I'm not sure this makes sense but it doesn't break any laws in nj.....so that's why I think powering the miners directly might be interesting.

Earn BTC investing in Peer to Peer Loans on BTCJam.
http://tinyurl.com/lc4wmvx

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheMinex

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 02:37:07 PM

Don't know where I read someone with similar cfg, but for those who are interested, here is my experimental cfg.
Solar panel 12V 40W ( more than 10 years old, not optimal orientation = real only 30W ).
Jally, undervolted from 1,02V to 0,95, stock clock & software, hashing @ 5 Gh/s (0,2% error rate Cool) (sometimes, cause the low voltage, it stasts @ 4,2 / 4,3, expecially when powered by stock PSU when there is not sun. In this case power cycling is useful to regain 5 Gh/s ). It draws little more than 2A @ 12V, efficiency little better than 5W/Ghs.
No battery and power regulator. Panel and original psu are coupled by a series of shottky diodes (I loose near a watt here). When the sun shines, voltages from panel is higher so it has the priority ( in this case voltage in main power line of the jally goes near 14V ) , when there is no sun, PSU kicks in keeping voltage near 12,5V.

PRO. All solar production in adsorbed by the system so no battery is required (mainenatance free). Good battery has 90% efficiency so all this is a another good gain. Jally runs smoother when panel is active, probably cause higher input voltage and infinite better voltage stability ( stock PSU is really really bad..........ssshhh, I should not tell this cause it is not exploded yet  Grin Grin).

CON. When Jally is in idle (current drops from 2A to near 1A), there are no voltage regulation, so voltages soar to 16V, wich is not really good because if I remember well caps are 12V rated. All other electronics should run fine.
When there is no sun, I loose near a watt on the diodes, and when there is sun the PSU loose near 2 watt in idle.

Coming soon a more powerful hashing system with similar philosophy. I'm looking at something like this  http://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-USB-200?sc=8&category=981 cause the voltage programmable capability and ultra wide input voltage ( every little watt from solar will be saved  Grin Grin )
biodieselchris

Activity: 579
Merit: 500

CoinQuacker

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 01:51:58 AM

On the solar end of things, as long as you are making metered energy (kWh) you can get free GreenCoins. Any and all interest please message me. I'll pay a 0.01 BTC for the next 10 producers to sign up. I am trying to find more producers for the GreenCoin network. There is nothing to mine. You get coins FREE coins daily for solar production regardless of the end use (internally used or pushed to the grid).

More about it GreenCoin
Easy to understand 1-page flyer

If nothing else, maybe after your operation is all set up and you're earning GreenCoins it adds a secondary revenue stream you hadn't previously considered, which is simply a bonus.

thanks! BDC

allcoinminer (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 06:03:25 AM

My system setup is complete. Its a 3000Watts system.
Next week I will update the system features with images in this thread.
Is waiting for the DC-DC converter.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 12:13:29 PM

Can't wait for images. Very interesting stuff.
future_quark369

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 12:56:30 PM

[DIY] AllCoinMiner's Power Supply Sizing Guide
[DIY] AllCoinMiner's Solar Energy Setup for Mining DIY Research going on
[DIY] AllCoinMiner's Antminer S1/S3 Blade on Raspberry Pi or on a Single ControlBoardBounty Offered

GUIDE SETTING UP A SOLAR POWER SYSTEM FOR MINING
This is a project plan to setup a complete solar powered system for running below device.
I'm looking for guidance and support from all of you to materialise it.

PSUs Available:
1x 1600W 90% Efficient PSU
1x 600W 90% Efficient PSU

Out Put Requirement:
Multiple of 12V 400Watts DCe

Existing Inverters:
1x 1500VA 24V SineWave Inverter
1x 850VA 12V SineWave Inverter

Batteries:
2x 100Ah 12V Tubular
1x 150Ah 12V Tubular

Solar Panel:
6x 250Watts/12V PV

Converter:
50A/24V

amazing instructions, thank you
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 01:56:44 AM

All except a solution to connect the antminer to the setup.
What is the setup parts?  I'm assuming a 24v panel with 24v (hopefully 15a charge controller)?  24v lead acid batteries, and a 24v relay?

Panels: 6x 24V/250W.
Charge controller: 1x PCM60X ( www.mppsolar.com/v3/catalogs/PCM60X.pdf )
Battery: 4x 150Ah/12V RE battery
No replays

You're already going to be wiring the batteries in a 2-series-2-parallel configuration to get the 12V batteries to play with your 24V system, yes?

Why don't you just connect Ant blade #1 across one parallel set of 12V batteries, and Ant blade #2 across the other?

(Just check first to make sure the blades aren't tied together electrically, and install fuses anyway to be safe.)

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
allcoinminer (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 03:58:52 AM

All except a solution to connect the antminer to the setup.
What is the setup parts?  I'm assuming a 24v panel with 24v (hopefully 15a charge controller)?  24v lead acid batteries, and a 24v relay?

Panels: 6x 24V/250W.
Charge controller: 1x PCM60X ( www.mppsolar.com/v3/catalogs/PCM60X.pdf )
Battery: 4x 150Ah/12V RE battery
No replays

You're already going to be wiring the batteries in a 2-series-2-parallel configuration to get the 12V batteries to play with your 24V system, yes?

Why don't you just connect Ant blade #1 across one parallel set of 12V batteries, and Ant blade #2 across the other?

(Just check first to make sure the blades aren't tied together electrically, and install fuses anyway to be safe.)

I'm not doing that because the output voltage from solar charge controller goes too high from 12V or 24V which the ant cannot handle.
So now I put DC-DC converters in between.
On one of the DC-DC controller its fuse is blown every morning when the sun shines bright.

on a side note: sorry for not putting the setup images, I was a bit busy and too lazy, but I can update it soon.
cryptomad

Activity: 301
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 05:58:31 PM

Goodluck with you Build,I hope good things come to you

Spend GCN at World of electronics Transfer files at www.gfile.us 10k free per transfer Smiley
allcoinminer (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 06:01:38 PM

Goodluck with you Build,I hope good things come to you

Yes everything is properly organised for me.
Thank you, SUN!
lin0sspice
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 02:42:52 PM

Do you have picture and components of part and panel ?

Please share with us Smiley

As I talked to some agent at solar saleman he told me I need at least 6000Watts of solar panel to run 1000Watts PSU for 24 hours.

My question is if I get more batteries say like 4, so I can reduce the panel watts ( from 6000 to 4000 or 3000watts )

Help please.

Really want to setup for 2 ant S3 or 1 Ant S4 (1400w)

May be invest for farm of them soon.

Website
Whitepaper
Discord
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░░▄██▄░░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░▄██████▄░░░░░░░░███
███▄░░░░░░▄████████▄░░░░░░▄███
████░░░░░▄██████████▄░░░░░████
████░░░░▄████████████▄░░░░████
░██████░░▀██████████▀░░███████
░███████░░░▀██████▀░░░████████
░████████▄░░░▀██▀░░░▄████████
░█████████▄░░░░░░░░▄███████░░░
░░█████████▄░░░░░░▄███████░░░░
░░░░██████████▄▄████████░░░░░░
░░░░░░████████████████░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░██████████████░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░░░░░░
VELOX PROJECT
The Future of Anonymous Trading
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░
████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░░▄██▄░░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░▄██████▄░░░░░░░░███
███▄░░░░░░▄████████▄░░░░░░▄███
████░░░░░▄██████████▄░░░░░████
████░░░░▄████████████▄░░░░████
░██████░░▀██████████▀░░███████
░███████░░░▀██████▀░░░████████
░████████▄░░░▀██▀░░░▄████████
░█████████▄░░░░░░░░▄███████░░░
░░█████████▄░░░░░░▄███████░░░░
░░░░██████████▄▄████████░░░░░░
░░░░░░████████████████░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░██████████████░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░░░░░░
Latest News
Twitter
Telegram
[/tab
IITravel01

Activity: 338
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 05:33:43 PM

The solar calculator online I used states I need about 6,600watts to run 2 S3's for 24hours a day.  I'm interested in setting one up.
allcoinminer (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 05:57:53 PM

Do you have picture and components of part and panel ?

Please share with us Smiley

As I talked to some agent at solar saleman he told me I need at least 6000Watts of solar panel to run 1000Watts PSU for 24 hours.

My question is if I get more batteries say like 4, so I can reduce the panel watts ( from 6000 to 4000 or 3000watts )

Help please.

Really want to setup for 2 ant S3 or 1 Ant S4 (1400w)

May be invest for farm of them soon.

Pardon me for delaying the update with images and so.
I will do it soon, lazy me.
But you can ask me anything related to solar panel setup and I can guide you.
If you are taking support from agents or companies you will never ROI.
Do it yourselves by the support of forum people. I did it myself.
If you are using any good solar panels, you will get 1500W from a 2000W system during the solar time.
If you are running it 24/7 then you need a lot of battery AH and you need to charge these batteries during the day time everyday.
Batteries will never last more than 5yrs if you are discharging it to the maximum.
Else you need to buy a lot of batteries to make the discharge percentage lower.

For your need, 1400W is required 24/7 from this solar battery setup.
So around 2000W panel is required to run the miner during sun time.
Then for charging the discharged batteries daily, additional panels required.
If we calculate solar time as 6hrs (Max and too optimistic) you have 6hrs to charge the battery bank.
And your total charge backup requirement(or total charging required) is approximately, [1400*(24-6)] = 25,200 Watts (25.2KW).

That means, you need 2100AH of 12V battery. If its 6V then need 4200AH. Practically you need 3000AH atleast for 12V battery.
That's equal to 15 no of 200AH/12V Solar Battery. It will cost approximately $3500.

And to charge this much battery power during the limited 6hrs you need atleast 6000W panel. Which will cost around $4500.

Consolidating:
Panels required is more than 6000+2000 Watts Cost: $6000.
Battery 3000AH costs $3500.
Cable and other Misc: $1000 for this setup.
MPPT Charge Controllers: < $1000.
Total: $11,500 Plus
Now think whether you want to setup this damp thing.

Inshort when you add more battery backup requirement you need more panels, more cables and other components.
So, if you are sure you want to go for solar just go for a Solar + Grid setup and use 400AH battery bank for emergency backup.
That will fit the budget and will ROI in 3 to 4 years if used fully. I only recommend that if you want to go for solar.

Disclaimer: All the above numbers are from rough calculations without considering losses and practical conditions.
In practical setup you may need more panels and battery so the cost will be more than what estimated here.

Again Solar is expensive as of now.
Trillium

Activity: 546

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 01:43:45 AM

You need to consider that for most battery types you cannot take the Ah rating and assume you can use 100% of this, because, cycling most kinds of batteries that deeply will permanently damage them. Be sure to carefully review the manufacturers tech sheet and find the max discharge depth, THEN calculate the "real" Ah rating from there. You can use this to calculate watt-hours or joules stored, which is a more meaningful piece of information for sizing your solar setup.

Also the 6 hour charging time above is unrealistic for a full charge for most battery types. Again you need to see the manufacturers spec sheets.

Cycling batteries between deep discharge states and back to their full capacity on a daily basis will also reduce their lifespan a lot more than usual as this is not considered standard operation. Arbitrary example: Most lead acid car batteries are discharged only less than 3% of their total capacity when starting a car, this will get them 3-5 years. Now take the same battery and discharge it 25-50% every 24 hours (if it's even possible to recharge it within spec limits that quick). Suddenly it lasts 6 months to 12 months tops.

A lot of people "make" battery storage systems for solar without researching how much they can drain their batteries, and how low of a voltage they can be taken. There are newer types which can take more punishment but there are always limits. I know a handful of people who've purchased various setups on ebay and of their own design only to wipe out $5k of batteries in half a year.

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
allcoinminer (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 06:22:19 AM

You need to consider that for most battery types you cannot take the Ah rating and assume you can use 100% of this, because, cycling most kinds of batteries that deeply will permanently damage them. Be sure to carefully review the manufacturers tech sheet and find the max discharge depth, THEN calculate the "real" Ah rating from there. You can use this to calculate watt-hours or joules stored, which is a more meaningful piece of information for sizing your solar setup.

Also the 6 hour charging time above is unrealistic for a full charge for most battery types. Again you need to see the manufacturers spec sheets.

Cycling batteries between deep discharge states and back to their full capacity on a daily basis will also reduce their lifespan a lot more than usual as this is not considered standard operation. Arbitrary example: Most lead acid car batteries are discharged only less than 3% of their total capacity when starting a car, this will get them 3-5 years. Now take the same battery and discharge it 25-50% every 24 hours (if it's even possible to recharge it within spec limits that quick). Suddenly it lasts 6 months to 12 months tops.

A lot of people "make" battery storage systems for solar without researching how much they can drain their batteries, and how low of a voltage they can be taken. There are newer types which can take more punishment but there are always limits. I know a handful of people who've purchased various setups on ebay and of their own design only to wipe out $5k of batteries in half a year.

Your points are very mush valid.
In my system I finally dropped using battery backups for the rest of the sun time and is using grid.
Battery back up will just act when in an emergency.

Normally in professionally installed battery systems they will only discharge upto 20% of the capacity.
So, the battery bank(s) will last for 10+ years even if they are not looking for breakeven.
They get ROI from their business by account these costs to customers.

Regarding Charging Time, atleast 10hrs is recommended for C10 batteries but we only get 6hrs.
So we are forced to charge in 2 days or in a single days with more current. The second one will shorten the battery more.

Here in the case of home miner or even home farms, the Solar + 24hrs Battery will never ROI.
But a Solar + Grid can breakeven in the long run, if and only if we can use the maximum power the panels generate.
Again, no mining device is available at this point in time to mine for ROI.

Inshort, just forget about "any" Solar setup for atleast this time.
GenX

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 01:53:08 PM

Anyone have a link to a decent and relatively cheap solar panel distributor?
allcoinminer (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 06:35:19 PM

Anyone have a link to a decent and relatively cheap solar panel distributor?

For which country you want the details of solar panel distributor?
You can also try google search.
rogelio11

Activity: 15

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 07:51:15 AM
Last edit: November 13, 2014, 08:31:44 AM by rogelio11

hey allcoinminer,

do you think in your own opinion getting a solar generator set like a SSUVPR 5000W 96V Solar Inverter with Controller System (UPS Function) whole set to power one SP35 Yukon Power is a good idea?
what is your take on it? Smiley I'm all ears on your feedback.

-Rogelio
allcoinminer (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 03:46:06 AM

hey allcoinminer,

do you think in your own opinion getting a solar generator set like a SSUVPR 5000W 96V Solar Inverter with Controller System (UPS Function) whole set to power one SP35 Yukon Power is a good idea?

-Rogelio

Hi Rogelio,
First we need to know the whole cost estimate of your system to do a profitability analysis.
Another thing is that 5000W power system may be ok if its in my area since I get a lot of Sun.
So that will depend on your region and the duration of Sunlight.
Before all, Mining is a bad idea for now and so Mining + Solar will end up as a bad combination for now.
biodieselchris

Activity: 579

CoinQuacker

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2014, 07:09:25 AM

hey allcoinminer,

-Rogelio

Hi Rogelio,
First we need to know the whole cost estimate of your system to do a profitability analysis.
Another thing is that 5000W power system may be ok if its in my area since I get a lot of Sun.
So that will depend on your region and the duration of Sunlight.
Before all, Mining is a bad idea for now and so Mining + Solar will end up as a bad combination for now.

Are you figuring GreenCoin into the revenue analysis?...  Grin

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: