Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:04:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Very Early Adopters  (Read 4593 times)
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 10:19:42 PM

It's amazing that even people getting into Bitcoin today can be considered early adopters.

The really early adopters, from the Silk Road Bitcoin boom of summer 2011 or even before, or either total computer nerds and/or stoners  Grin
I'm amazed I can be called an early adopter. I got into Bitcoin in April 2014, and it surprised me I could still be called an early adopter.

What should we call the really early adopters? Like those who got in during 2012 or beforehand? They should have some special name or something.

But either way, we can still say we were the early users to everyone once the crypto boom occurs.

Yeah I guess if you are looking back at it in like 2018 or something, then getting into BTC around 2014 would be considered an early adopter, but IMO, early adopter is like 2011.   I would consider people who got into BTC in the single, and low double digits...early adopters. 
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 10:23:21 PM

we all know bitcoin is going exist until 2140,

Why 2140? I saw you use that year before on some other topics (yes "we are watching you"  Cheesy ). Is it some random number that you like, or is it actually connected to BTC in some way?

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 10:26:46 PM

Why 2140? I saw you use that year before on some other topics (yes "we are watching you"  Cheesy ). Is it some random number that you like, or is it actually connected to BTC in some way?

That is approximately when the last BTC will be rewarded.

ljudotina
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 10:31:18 PM

Aaaah....yes...tought it was something like that. I'm guesing that THAT time is moving closer to us just like reward halfing is moving closer because of all that hash added in between diff changes.

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 10:34:14 PM

I very much agree to this, there is plenty of potential for growth

i believe during the november 2013 peak there was some positive media attention, followed by a lot of negative media, followed by complete media silence.

Bitcoin is finaly gaining some attention although many people are too scared to invest it yet but the good thing is they know it exists, and the interest is sparked.

In a couple of years (probably not more than 3 or so) bitcoin will have lift off to a face-book like size and hunderds of thousands of new members will join daily. That wll be the point where you'd be a late adopter. Right now, we're still early adopters and maybe even innovators.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 10:34:18 PM

It is going to be crazy how far technology will be advanced in 2040.   I mean look how far we have come in the last 30 years.   It seems like technology is not only getting better but expanding exponentially as the years go by.   The last 20 years has produced so much more new technology than the 20 years prior
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 10:36:16 PM

To put things into perspective here is a very bearish article from November 2011. This is just after I started buying Bitcoin http://www.wired.com/2011/11/mf_bitcoin/ and a chart from the now defunct MTGox the largest exchange at the time. https://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg60zig30-minzczsg2011-11-15zeg2011-11-30ztgSzm1g10zm2g25zv As a note to the reader the prices refer to USD per BTC not mBTC or some other subunit of BTC.

The secret here is not just being an early adopter, but managing to keep a substantial portion of one's Bitcoin say over 50% after 2 years or more.

Edit: At the time I thought I was overpaying became of these prices from 2009 only two years before. http://newlibertystandard.wikifoundry.com/page/2009+Exchange+Rate.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 11:04:40 PM

Why 2140? I saw you use that year before on some other topics (yes "we are watching you"  Cheesy ). Is it some random number that you like, or is it actually connected to BTC in some way?

It is going to be crazy how far technology will be advanced in 2040.   I mean look how far we have come in the last 30 years.   It seems like technology is not only getting better but expanding exponentially as the years go by.   The last 20 years has produced so much more new technology than the 20 years prior

yeah, we're reaching a point of singularity.. once or if we create enough intelligence with our computers, they might be doing the research FOR us. or maybe we'd be doing manual labor for them  Cheesy
ljudotina
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 11:07:10 PM

Let's not get silly...we do have problem with phisics you know...it's slowing down unlike times when we had 233khz than 333mhz month later etc.
Back on topic...yeah, we are still "early adopters" but i twoudlnt be bad if we were "really early" ones  Grin

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 01:47:56 AM

Aaaah....yes...tought it was something like that. I'm guesing that THAT time is moving closer to us just like reward halfing is moving closer because of all that hash added in between diff changes.

Yes, but not by much.  Because when the diff changes, it will account for all the progress.

So, maybe it will bcome 10% faster or something.

Bizmark13

Activity: 462

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 01:54:53 AM

i'm not an early adopter.. though i did know about bitcoin in 2011 and was interested. such a shame that i didn't do anything about it until 2013, but that was all on me.

Same here, except I bought my first fraction of a bitcoin in early 2014. I even signed up with Mt. Gox back in 2011 but never did anything with it.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 02:31:16 AM

by 2049 there will be 20,987,460 btc. but each 4 year halving will still be producing bitcoins, although dust amounts per block and only a few hundred per year, slowly dropping to dust amounts per year by 2140.. where technically no more coins or dust of coins are made after 2140.

What should we call the really early adopters?
2009: founders - bitcoin was for geeks, couldnt spend them on items
2010: initiates - starting up mtgox, alpaca socks, bitcoin pizza
2011->20?? early adoptors - new coins still being mined, new businesses starting, still not common place
20??: regular adopters - bitcoin can be accessed, bought, sold easily and by anyone, even your grandma

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
cech4204a

Activity: 252

12CDKyxPyL5Rj28ed2yz5czJf3Dr2ZvEYw

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 02:54:31 AM

Posts like this cheer me up from the constant worry that i am very late to the game

Exactly that's how i felt when i read that topic. I allways think that i missed something , TBH i'd love to be the first miner somehow. BTC will need couple more years to get on fire, and than the problem will be to stop it.

Bitcoin is DEAD
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 03:24:51 AM

I look forward to the day when their dollars aren't worth squat, and I can live off my Bitcoins Smiley

So you enjoy seeing people lose their asses with investments?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

twistyfy

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 03:28:06 AM

I am amazed how few people in the US know about bitcoin and even fewer understand it.  I work in a very technical field which allows me to travel and I am constantly surveying technical folks of all ages what they think about bitcoin.  I would say only about half of the people have even heard about it, of those about 80% of the folks say stay away or "if you can find someone to give you real dollars for bitcoin, do it!"...

I've also noticed that bitcoin does get news coverage but it is almost always buried on the major media outlet's sites.  Most major headlines are very negative so I can't blame Joe Public for shying away.

All in all, we are very early in this game and I'm excited to see opinions sway in favor of bitcoin in future months/years.

I personally think there will be an "Aha moment" whether it be a killer app or a market correction where big banks move to bitcoin as a store and the sheep will follow quickly.  Just a matter of time but the train is still in the station at this point in time.  Cool

I'm glad to be one of the first to know about Bitcoin
Quartx

Activity: 1036
Merit: 504

Becoming legend, but I took merit to the knee :(

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 03:42:20 AM

Owning 1 whole bitcoin will be something for the elite by then. That's why I think that we're currently still early adopters.
In the future, no one will speak of owning 1 Bitcoin, they will speak of owning X thousand Satoshis. Just as no New York City resident would speak of owning an acre of land today, but travel back in time far enough and all land in America was measured by the acre.

Instead we speak of owning tiny pieces of property such as houses or even smaller pieces called apartments or even smaller called rooms. Hell, I have heard of some cases of people renting out an attic to sleep in!
By contrast, those of us who have a private apartment with no roommates consider ourselves the lucky ones - living in relative luxury!

Owning 1 BTC today is like owning an acre of prime Manhattan real estate in 1600. The difference being that a year in Bitcoin time = 100 years in Manhattan real estate time. You won't need to wait long to get rich, folks. Just a few years at the most.

Nice and clear explaination, in that case there are people who own whole countries haha

saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 03:48:44 AM

I am amazed how few people in the US know about bitcoin and even fewer understand it.  I work in a very technical field which allows me to travel and I am constantly surveying technical folks of all ages what they think about bitcoin.  I would say only about half of the people have even heard about it, of those about 80% of the folks say stay away or "if you can find someone to give you real dollars for bitcoin, do it!"...

I've also noticed that bitcoin does get news coverage but it is almost always buried on the major media outlet's sites.  Most major headlines are very negative so I can't blame Joe Public for shying away.

All in all, we are very early in this game and I'm excited to see opinions sway in favor of bitcoin in future months/years.

I personally think there will be an "Aha moment" whether it be a killer app or a market correction where big banks move to bitcoin as a store and the sheep will follow quickly.  Just a matter of time but the train is still in the station at this point in time.  Cool

Bitcoin is kind of like a powerful new drug. A few people get turned on to it and the rush is so great - easy to use, secure, etc. They try to tell other people about it but they think its too expensive, scam...why should i buy it? Well, either listen to me now or find out for yourself later.

Sometimes i feel like rowdy roddy piper in the classic film "THEY LIVE"...you have to beat someone for a long time just to get them to wear the f*ing sunglasses!

"i'm here to chew bubblegum and buy bitcoin...and i'm all out of fiat currency."

scribbles

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:17:07 AM

If you are reading this in the summer of 2014, and you have any BTC, congratulations. You are an early adopter, and you will soon be rich if you choose to hold.
I saw the Video although I believe in bitcoin but somewhere I found this video biased , because it only talks about successful companies like Twitter , Facebook , Google.  and their S curve , but there are also so many companies out there who never grows that big. We all know bitcoin is not a company[which is in favor of bitcoin] but it will not have a similar kinda of advertising , and will be restricted in use till some killer app comes out and it will take some time to explain it to average joe + it will face many difficulties as it grows bigger. Yeah I'm hopeful for a very higher vertical curve but will it ever happen I have faith.

He's talking about the natural phenomenon of exponential growth, whether that's bacteria growing, a company growing, or a technology user base growing. Not everything completes the s-curve path, which he also mentions multiple times, and acknowledges could happen to bitcoin.

If you didn't see it with 20 minutes of video and colorful graphics and shit, never mind...

▄▄███████▄▄
        ▄███▀▀
▄▄▄▄    ▀▄
     ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▀▄
  ▄▀▀██▀           ▀▀██▄▄▀▄
▄▀  ██                 ▀██
  ██       ▀▀█▀▀         █
█▀        █ █ █        ▄█▀▄
▀▄         █ █ █       ▄█  █
 ██         █▄▄▄█      ▄█  ▄▀
  ██▄                ▄█▀  ▄▀
  ▀▄▀██▄▄          ▄█▀  ▄▀
   ▀▄ ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀▀
     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
UTRUST▀████████▄
  ▀███████▄
    ▀██████▄
      ▀██████
       ▀█████
        ▀████▄
         █████
          ▀███
           ███
           ▀██
            ██
             █
●  Download WHITEPAPER  ●
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▼ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
facebook      twitter      slack
▀████████▄
  ▀███████▄
    ▀██████▄
      ▀██████
       ▀█████
        ▀████▄
         █████
          ▀███
           ███
           ▀██
            ██
             █
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:35:10 AM

we all know bitcoin is going exist until 2140

Complete nonsense. Nobody knows.
Did not mind to read the rest of your post
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 08:10:02 AM

friend told me about it in 2011 I shrugged it off as eeeh whats the point.
friend did not become rich.. so feel a little better about that heh :p
but yeah if only I had listenened.

I do know people who bought 10,000's for like next to nothing... depresses me each day it was not me.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: