Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:02:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Local bitcoin market.  (Read 10953 times)
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 07, 2010, 11:50:18 AM

Agorists are anarchists who don't think voting won't work. So they advocate subversive but nonviolent and beneficial behaviors.

I'm having trouble parsing that. You say agorists do think voting will work? Or just that this isn't a good enough distinguishing characteristic from libertarians? I agree that some libertarians don't believe voting is good if that's all you mean.

Sorry for the double negative there. I was not thinking clearly when I wrote it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anonymous

August 08, 2010, 04:45:03 AM

Agorists are people who don't fill out government paperwork when they trade with others.It is not a belief as much as a lifestyle choice and not needing permission to interact freely with other people.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2010, 06:20:18 AM

Agorists are people who don't fill out government paperwork when they trade with others.It is not a belief as much as a lifestyle choice and not needing permission to interact freely with other people.

Well said.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2010, 06:31:16 AM

Be careful not to confuse your ideologies.  Libertarianism and agorism are closely related, but they are not the same thing.  Generally speaking, agorists are libs who have dropped the 'live and let live' non-aggression principle in favor of an intentionally subversive market stragedy with the intent of 'starving the beast'.

Has anyone thought that bitcoin deserves its own ism?

I call it crypto-agorism .... using crytpography to cut out the need for the state to protect your property ie your cash.

There should be a wiki page for it.... but they may delete it because no-one has used the term before  lol

Here's my two bitcents:

I would be hesitant to waste effort in labeling agorists who use bitcoins with a completely new term "crypto-agorism".  There are already so many political philosophies/terms out there and it seems someone is coming out with a new flavor of libertarianism all the time.  Agorists who use bitcoins are simply "crypto-anarchists"...that's it.  And likewise anyone who engages in crypto-anarchism is promoting agorism in some way.  So let's instead focus on reviving/promoting the term "crypto-anarchist" and encourage bitcoins as the currency for crypto-anarchists.  In fact, the Crypto-Anarchism WikiPedia page mentions bitcoin in the "Anonymous trading" section.  And as you point out, it would take a long long time before wikipedia accepts a page for the new term "crypto-agorism", and much longer for the non-initiated public to learn such a new term.

If you want to be more elaborate in your introduction, say something along the lines of "I am a crypto-anarchist who uses bitcoins in the agorist market."  The term "crypto-agorism" itself doesn't necessarily imply to me or to anyone hearing the term for the first time that that person uses bitcoins as their primary currency.

Has anyone thought that bitcoin deserves its own ism?
I say people who use bitcoins should simply be called "bitcoiners", since being a user of bitcoins does not necessarily mean you are an agorist or anarchist.

But then again, you and free to call yourself whatever you want:)

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Anonymous

August 09, 2010, 07:11:22 AM

As my grandfather used to say you can call me anything you want just dont call me late for dinner  Tongue
NewLibertyStandard

Activity: 252
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2010, 07:30:34 PM

The Bitcoin Community Market of Utah is open and ready for business! You're welcome to use it as a template for your own community market. Just be sure to offer proper bittribution. Cheesy

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: