Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:05:16 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to destroy crypto coins?  (Read 975 times)
cryptohunter (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:33:20 PM

How can coins be destroyed for good? how can you ensure these coins can never be used again?

r3animation

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:52:42 PM

I don't think you can destroy coins as they're in the blockchain forever.

I think the only thing you can really do is send the coins to an address you don't have a private key to.
cryptohunter (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:16:51 PM

I think the only thing you can really do is send the coins to an address you don't have a private key to.

Oh i see. So if the developer of a coin said he was going to destroy 10% of the coins in existence. There would always be some people that could claim he had the private key to the address they were sent to?

r3animation

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:52:16 PM

Oh i see. So if the developer of a coin said he was going to destroy 10% of the coins in existence. There would always be some people that could claim he had the private key to the address they were sent to?

Yup that would an issue. Which coin are you referring to?
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:55:14 PM

You can destroy NXT coins by sending them to Genesis account. It's an expensive trick though Smiley
From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 07:42:03 PM

Just send the coins u wanna destroy to my wallet dude

~CfA~

jztxeno

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 07:44:21 PM

buy all coins in existence
cryptohunter (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 08:32:14 PM

Yup that would an issue. Which coin are you referring to?

bee2. The community voted to destroy about 6-7 billion coins that were not swapped, probably the bee1 that were lost on cryptorush so never swapped over. The coins have little value right now but we voted to destroy them rather than leave them hanging around.

AllYourBaseDev

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 08:56:04 PM

How can coins be destroyed for good? how can you ensure these coins can never be used again?

You can "burn" coins (not exactly the same as destroying, but probably what you are looking for) by sending them to an address that is unspendable.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Proof_of_burn
cryptohunter (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 10:43:09 PM

You can "burn" coins (not exactly the same as destroying, but probably what you are looking for) by sending them to an address that is unspendable.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Proof_of_burn

Yes, i think that is what we need, but how to create an address that is unspendable. This is the main issue. We need something that does not need trust that in turn leads to doubt and rumour. We were looking for a way to destroy them beyond all doubt. I guess this is not actually possible at the stage we're at now. We will have to rethink this.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: