Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:00:06 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PayPal Integrating Bitcoin soon.  (Read 11261 times)
cryptnutter

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 08:53:14 PM

Well, if Paypal touches Bitcoin I have no doubt what they will end up producing is a steaming pile of crap.

eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2014, 10:02:43 PM

I actually think this is a good thing, Bitcoin going mainstream.
No doubt that the price will go up when they launch it.

Also, Virwox will not be needed anymore. Yay!

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 10:06:59 PM

I have actually been receiving way more paypal marketing emails than usual. Ones for their credit cards, debit cards, "pay later", etc...

Hopefully in the near future they will be blasting out emails about BTC
SOAD

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 10:08:32 PM

"soon"? Not soon enough. I think Paypal is going to have to start accepting or dealing with btc at some point, so they're wise to be looking into it now.

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 10:13:28 PM

It's a bit pointless to have news articles without dates in my opinion

I feel like this is an old discussion.

Anyway paypal and bitcoin are essentially competing technologies/services. Bitcoin is currently smaller in size than PayPal but bitcoin has much more potential.

Bitcoin will leave paypal obsolete and we should not really care about them accepting or fighting it, because whatever PayPal will do, bitcoin will eventually render them obsolete so we don't need PayPal in the end.
Celroc Amaul

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 10:20:30 PM

Not to say that this isn't good news, but I'm a little curious as to how beneficial this really will be to Bitcoin.  Would running a Bitcoin transaction through Paypal defeat some of the advantages of the Bitcoin protocol in exchange for the convenience gained?

Celroc
Brooker

Activity: 274

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 10:24:08 PM

Anyway paypal and bitcoin are essentially competing technologies/services. Bitcoin is currently smaller in size than PayPal but bitcoin has much more potential.

Bitcoin will leave paypal obsolete and we should not really care about them accepting or fighting it, because whatever PayPal will do, bitcoin will eventually render them obsolete so we don't need PayPal in the end.

How will it leave it obsolete? If bitcoin goes mainstream were still going to need payment processors. Maybe PP can just compete with bitpay etc.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 06:07:13 AM

Well, if Paypal touches Bitcoin I have no doubt what they will end up producing is a steaming pile of crap.

Agreed. But at the same time, it will make trading Bitcoins easier and more accessible for a large part of the population. See, most of the vendors in Localbitcoins charge a 5% premium. What is wrong with Paypal, if they charge a 3% commission and make Bitcoins easier to exchange?  Grin
virtualfaqs (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 07:25:06 AM

Agreed. But at the same time, it will make trading Bitcoins easier and more accessible for a large part of the population. See, most of the vendors in Localbitcoins charge a 5% premium. What is wrong with Paypal, if they charge a 3% commission and make Bitcoins easier to exchange?  Grin

If PayPal doesn't have seller protection, it's going to be much higher then 3%. It's up to 30% right now I believe.

https://twitter.com/virtualfaqs
Looking for altcoin pump advice? Then follow me.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 11:05:17 AM

If PayPal doesn't have seller protection, it's going to be much higher then 3%. It's up to 30% right now I believe.

But still, I see a lot of people buying Bitcoins through Localbitcoins.com (using Paypal). They are paying crazy amount of premiums, sometimes up to 50%. And I am not sure about the 30% figure which you have quoted.....
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 11:34:41 AM

How will it leave it obsolete? If bitcoin goes mainstream were still going to need payment processors. Maybe PP can just compete with bitpay etc.

bitcoin is a payment processor and a currency in one. When bitcoin goes mainstream we will not need payment processors and/or banks.

Al you really need is an app or something to submit the transaction to the blockchain, and the bitcoin network itself will process the transaction.

Bitcoin is designed not to need 3rd parties. 3rd parties like bitpay make it easier to access, but they are not necessary per se.
bitcoinforhelp

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 11:36:55 AM

It won't happen, there are too many issues with Paypal + Bitcoin, Bitcoin alone is much better
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 11:44:43 AM

It won't happen, there are too many issues with Paypal + Bitcoin, Bitcoin alone is much better

Issues? There is no issue except of lacking legal background concerning Bitcoin (as far as PayPal is concerned). They can implement it in so many ways...like holding payment in BTC form or fiat form etc....alot of posible options (and they dont have to select only one option....they can let customer pick). Escov service with su moch PR and reputation would be good for BTC even with their crazy fees (which they would lower for BTC for sure as they would not have to work with credit card houses in those transactions). It will be up to users to use them or not.

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 01:29:37 PM

all they need to do is use bitpay to handle the payments and change them into US dollars

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
SOAD

Activity: 324

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 01:36:47 PM

Wont they be making their own version of bitpay? That's what I thought their involvement would be.

lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 02:03:16 PM

Now all those people who say that PayPal is more convenient and less complicated than Bitcoin can stfu
who were those people?  Sending and receiving BTC is simple and easy.  There are too much rules the users must comply with when using PayPal. Otherwise pp will block your account ,charge back the payment, or ask for high fee.
cozk

Activity: 812

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 03:01:27 PM

Very amateur news site, the article is not even dated.
Ejaculation

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 03:02:15 PM

An eBay to spend your bitcons on would actually be really nice! Can't wait to see things happen.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
ASICMINERPRISMA
                       1.4T+ ● 0.70-0.78J/GH ● ONLY 1.39BTC                          Shipping in Oct.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 03:16:12 PM

Wont they be making their own version of bitpay? That's what I thought their involvement would be.

No need to create a new payment processing firm, when they are already in possession of one. They could just add a Payment with Bitcoin option to Paypal. They are charging 2.8% fee for fiat, and for BTC, (I hope) it will be similar to the fee charged by Bitpay (0.99%).
DARKANGEL6415

Activity: 672

ADAMANT — the most secure and anonymous messenger

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 05:39:06 PM

Here´s a good Overview:

My assessment in terms paypal:

The end of this year when Amazon also goes into the bitcoinboat

Wink
this is funny as hell bitcoin does more than wester union

● ● ● ● ● ● ●   ADAMANT Messenger ● ● ● ● ● ● ●