Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:07:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Karpeles back to living large in one of the most expensive apartments in Tokyo  (Read 10568 times)
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 05:11:44 AM

It's funny how he says he's back to his old lifestyle of eating 2usd nudles while still living in that apartment.

Also he had a good quote in the wsj interview: "In the future, I would like to participate in the bitcoin community, as I've experienced what to do and what not to do and can help others in that regard".

Ouch, for some reason I don't think he'll be welcomed with open arms. Best of luck to him although.

TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 10:25:35 AM

It's funny how he says he's back to his old lifestyle of eating 2usd nudles while still living in that apartment.

Also he had a good quote in the wsj interview: "In the future, I would like to participate in the bitcoin community, as I've experienced what to do and what not to do and can help others in that regard".

Ouch, for some reason I don't think he'll be welcomed with open arms. Best of luck to him although.

liveleak is waiting for a vid of karpeles taking a giant crap on his toilet. it's in a skyscraper, with glass windows, how hard could it be to set up a telelense and just make a crap photo?

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 10:35:30 AM

The bidding starts July 24 at $185,000. Karpeles told the WSJ that the bankruptcy “trustee would monitor the sale of the domain names, and any proceeds after Tibanne has been funded through the end of the year would go to Mt. Gox creditors.” A press release circulated by Heritage Auctions quotes Karpeles: “We are hoping, with the sale of Bitcoins.com, to provide some relief to the people impacted by the Mt. Gox bankruptcy and will be putting at least half of the sale amount toward that purpose.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2014/07/08/mt-goxs-mark-karpeles-is-auctioning-off-bitcoins-com-opening-bid-185000/

the other half is for his expensive flat and living style  Cheesy

#yolo

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:06:34 PM

Being bankrupt sure seems to pay quite well, Mark seems as suspicious as possible but I think the Japanese should be investigating him deeply now (which shows one of the annoying things about bitcoins being anonymous, Scammers possibly getting away)

Out of subject completely/
Can't imagine the comfort of going to that bathroom and having such a nice view! -not such a good one for sharp lookers from below/other towers- MK need no newspapers in bathroom now  Wink.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 01:13:50 PM

Well, perhaps he owns it and the maintenance costs aren't too high. And given his current status it wouldn't be sane to sell it either.
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 02:56:57 AM

Well, perhaps he owns it and the maintenance costs aren't too high. And given his current status it wouldn't be sane to sell it either.
He would not need to disclose his identity as the seller until someone would make an offer that is accepted on the property, and at that point the buyer would likely not want to try anything stupid as they have already invested money in the apartment.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 03:21:40 AM

Being bankrupt sure seems to pay quite well....

Whether he is a criminal or a careless fool, Mark is not personally bankrupt just MtGox.

factor280

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 03:51:16 AM

I guess one of the flaws of bitcoin... this guy is gonna go free and clear because bitcoin is anonymous. The beauty of it and also the flaw in this case.

Sig Space for Rent! PM Me.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 04:20:28 AM

I guess one of the flaws of bitcoin... this guy is gonna go free and clear because bitcoin is anonymous. The beauty of it and also the flaw in this case.

Bitcoin is not completely anonymous, but many media/news stories have incorrectly said it is.

factor280

Activity: 326

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 04:24:57 AM

Bitcoin is not completely anonymous, but many media/news stories have incorrectly said it is.

I thought it was basically fully anonymous? What aspect isnt? You mean when we fund the accounts or purchase bitcoin?

Sig Space for Rent! PM Me.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 04:32:28 AM

I thought it was basically fully anonymous? What aspect isnt? You mean when we fund the accounts or purchase bitcoin?

"While the Bitcoin technology can support strong anonymity, the current implementation is usually not very anonymous."
More info on anonymity:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Anonymity

InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 08:44:22 PM

"While the Bitcoin technology can support strong anonymity, the current implementation is usually not very anonymous."
More info on anonymity:
If you take certain precautions and pay the right price (pay for mixing services) then you can stay anonymous with bitcoin.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 08:48:19 PM

...If you take certain precautions and pay the right price (pay for mixing services) then you can stay anonymous with bitcoin.

Since 2010 there have been dozens (perhaps hundreds, or even thousands) of media articles that call Bitcoin "anonymous", so many people believe that even though it is not true.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 09:50:07 PM

...If you take certain precautions and pay the right price (pay for mixing services) then you can stay anonymous with bitcoin.

Since 2010 there have been dozens (perhaps hundreds, or even thousands) of media articles that call Bitcoin "anonymous", so many people believe that even though it is not true.

Don't act like there isn't an army of Captains Of Industry posting on reddit that this is the case too.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 10:08:21 PM

If you use Tor, bitcoin fog, and wifi hot spots then you could effectively use bitcoin and be anonymous.

In reality, unless you are dealing with a lot of money (at least 6 figures, as measured in US Dollar equivalent) then most likely, no one will be able/bother to discover your identity.

This spot for rent.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 10:11:47 PM

If you use Tor, bitcoin fog, and wifi hot spots then you could effectively use bitcoin and be anonymous.

In reality, unless you are dealing with a lot of money (at least 6 figures, as measured in US Dollar equivalent) then most likely, no one will be able/bother to discover your identity.

Only if you solo mined them in 2010 through tor, if that even was possible.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 01:26:05 AM

Only if you solo mined them in 2010 through tor, if that even was possible.
Today if you only communicate via tor for any bitcoin related trades, have your wallet communicate with the rest of the network via tor and only connect to tor at a wifi hotspot then you really do not have any opportunities of having your identity discovered.

This spot for rent.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 09:31:46 AM

More info on anonymity:
If you take certain precautions and pay the right price (pay for mixing services) then you can stay anonymous with bitcoin.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=362468.msg3878992#msg3878992

Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 06:50:16 PM

More info on anonymity:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=362468.msg3878992#msg3878992
Zero coin has it's own risks that are not related to anonymity, mainly that of getting enough users to use zerocoin. Another issue is that Zerocoin essentially uses blockchain.info's shared coin on every transaction, and this has proven to not be 100% anon.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Impros88

Activity: 293
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 01:22:48 PM

I keep all bitcoin in bitstamp cause I trust them
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print