Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:36:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: US Marshall's Bitcoin Auction Results  (Read 15674 times)
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 12:46:36 PM

Has anyone gotten a response to FOIA requests looking to determine the price that this auction closed at?

You still have a couple of years wait for that one.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 01:01:53 PM

Has anyone gotten a response to FOIA requests looking to determine the price that this auction closed at?
I thought that there was a much shorter deadline for responding to a FOIA request (2 months? 3 months?)

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 01:53:23 PM
Last edit: September 02, 2014, 02:09:09 PM by QuestionAuthority

I thought that there was a much shorter deadline for responding to a FOIA request (2 months? 3 months?)

Yes, it's supposed to be 20 days but we are talking about the government here. It probably takes those idiots 20 days to figure out which paper to wipe their ass with.

Those that can't do teach. Those that can't teach get a government job.

JorgeStolfi

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 02:18:27 PM

I know that.  I am a teacher at a public university.  Grin

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 02:19:55 PM

Yes, it's supposed to be 20 days

Do you remember who submitted the FOIA?  What it you?

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 02:48:11 PM

I know that.  I am a teacher at a public university.  Grin

Ooh, a public university. That's like the best of both worlds. LOL

I think it was Burt that did it but I've put them in before too and had it just ignored for ages.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 06:54:59 PM

Do you remember who submitted the FOIA?  What it you?

I did.  No response yet.

The response is overdue.  Now what?  Send them a reminder notice?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 08:28:36 PM

Interesting. How long does it usually take? I really wonder whether it just takes them some time to answer the inquiry or whether they really are reluctant - for some reason - to answer it. What could be reasons for them to keep the exact prices a secret?

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 08:50:32 PM

I did.  No response yet.

Each fiscal year, agencies receive and process thousands of requests.  Sometimes, an agency will be able to respond within the standard time limit established by the FOIA, which is twenty working days, or about a month.  Although agencies make every effort to respond to FOIA requests as quickly as possible, in some cases they simply cannot do so within the twenty days.  In this situation, the request is considered “backlogged.”  The “backlog” data on FOIA.gov will show you how many requests were pending beyond the statutory time period at the end of the fiscal year.

dankkk

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 02:47:30 AM

I did.  No response yet.

Each fiscal year, agencies receive and process thousands of requests.  Sometimes, an agency will be able to respond within the standard time limit established by the FOIA, which is twenty working days, or about a month.  Although agencies make every effort to respond to FOIA requests as quickly as possible, in some cases they simply cannot do so within the twenty days.  In this situation, the request is considered “backlogged.”  The “backlog” data on FOIA.gov will show you how many requests were pending beyond the statutory time period at the end of the fiscal year.
In other words, if a lot of people are requesting information via FOIA requests due to shady activity by a government agency then once per year the agency will make a report that says how long it will be until they get to your report and how many other people are looking for information about this shady business.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:14:24 AM

I did.  No response yet.

Duh, maybe send them an extremely polite paper letter asking whether your FOIA is still being processed...

johncarpe64

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 05:22:07 AM

I did.  No response yet.

Duh, maybe send them an extremely polite paper letter asking whether your FOIA is still being processed...

Please see what QuestionAuthority had posted about the process. Every year agencies that are behind on processing FOIA requests make a report that says how many people are waiting in front of you.

JorgeStolfi

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 06:39:52 AM

Please see what QuestionAuthority had posted about the process. Every year agencies that are behind on processing FOIA requests make a report that says how many people are waiting in front of you.

I read that.  Still, a nice query letter may prompt someone to pull that request from the bottom of his drawer and push it forward through the paper mill.

AFAIK there is not a queue of FOIA requests, certainly not across different agencies and branches.  I doubt that there are many requests stuck at the USMS auction offices (unless 10'000 bitcoiners all submitted a FOIA for that auction.  Cheesy)

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 02:11:44 PM

I read that.  Still, a nice query letter may prompt someone to pull that request from the bottom of his drawer and push it forward through the paper mill.

AFAIK there is not a queue of FOIA requests, certainly not across different agencies and branches.  I doubt that there are many requests stuck at the USMS auction offices (unless 10'000 bitcoiners all submitted a FOIA for that auction.  Cheesy)

This is the way it was explained to me years ago. Government agencies get requests for freedom of info docs constantly from college students writing a term paper all the way to other agencies looking for newly released info. Every document goes through a review to determine if it can be released if it's not already marked for release (is it still classified, does it violate privacy rights, etc.). This review takes time and it takes more time especially on new information. You could get info about the 1940s trinity nuclear test tomorrow because they already know exactly what to release. This is new info and needs to be researched. It's going to take time. If they have people waiting before you for info that also needs to be researched it's going to take even more time.

johncarpe64

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:44:45 AM

I read that.  Still, a nice query letter may prompt someone to pull that request from the bottom of his drawer and push it forward through the paper mill.

AFAIK there is not a queue of FOIA requests, certainly not across different agencies and branches.  I doubt that there are many requests stuck at the USMS auction offices (unless 10'000 bitcoiners all submitted a FOIA for that auction.  Cheesy)
Most government agencies do not have public accountability from a customer service perspective. Just look at how efficient the DMV is at handling customer requests - it isn't. The agency would have no incentive to give priority to your request unless you got a member of congress somehow involved (congress controls the purse strings).

EDIT: I think the USMS would likely have a lot of FOIA requests from people who have had their assets seized from them and other people interested in the same.
zxcvbs

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 05:06:30 AM

So price is dropping.  Surely he payed too below Market value. Especulative funds are not stupid.
Meanwhile his address is undimmed.
What would prevent him, to create, or reuse a virtual exchange, fake the rates (like mtgox), and sell all the coins at funny prices?
Is there a way to find the real btc-usd rate, between blockchain transactions and fiat money?
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 06:13:35 PM

We know he didn't pay far under market because of what one of the losing bidders divulged.

Is there a way to find the real btc-usd rate, between blockchain transactions and fiat money?

The only rate that should matter to you is the rate you are able to negotiate in your transaction.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 06:45:43 PM

We know [ Tim Draper ] didn't pay far under market because of what one of the losing bidders divulged.

I am aware of someone revealing a bid in the 400--500$ range.  (The market price at the time was over 600$.)  Were there other cases of people declaring their bids?

Somehow Tim Draper's face reminds me of Eike Batista, formerly the richest man in Brazil, whose net worth fell from plus 34 billion US$ to minus 1 billion in less than two years:

http://oglobo.globo.com/economia/eike-tem-patrimonio-liquido-de-us-1-bilhao-negativo-13968641

http://www.tylatin.org/extras/cb2.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nn3PcESF7w

a447513372

Activity: 336

DLISK - Next Generation Coin

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 12:47:46 AM

We know [ Tim Draper ] didn't pay far under market because of what one of the losing bidders divulged.

I am aware of someone revealing a bid in the 400--500$ range.  (The market price at the time was over 600$.)  Were there other cases of people declaring their bids?

Somehow Tim Draper's face reminds me of Eike Batista, formerly the richest man in Brazil, whose net worth fell from plus 34 billion US$ to minus 1 billion in less than two years:

http://oglobo.globo.com/economia/eike-tem-patrimonio-liquido-de-us-1-bilhao-negativo-13968641

http://www.tylatin.org/extras/cb2.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nn3PcESF7w
I don't think he so much plans on selling his bitcoin outright in the market in the future, but rather plans to use the bitcoin as a way to create an exchange for people in third world countries and use the bitcoin as a cushion to not have to utilize exchanges as much.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄▄
     ▄████▀ ▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀ ▄▄▀▀      ████  ▀▀▄▄ ▀▀███▄
  ████ ▄███████████████      ▀█  ████
 ███▀ ▄██████████████████      █  ▀███
▄███            ████ ████      ▀█ ███▄
███ ▄█           ████  ████      █▄ ███
███            ████   ████       █ ███
███ ▀█          ████  ████       █▀ ███