Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:03:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Theoretical]The Short-Circuit 51% attack vulnerability in non Sha256 altcoins.  (Read 4154 times)
r3wt (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 01:35:17 AM
Last edit: June 29, 2014, 03:55:13 AM by r3wt

preamble

What is proof of work, and why should i care?

From the bitcoin wiki:

For a block to be valid it must hash to a value less than the current target; this means that each block indicates that work has been done generating it. Each block contains the hash of the preceding block, thus each block has a chain of blocks that together contain a large amount of work. Changing a block (which can only be done by making a new block containing the same predecessor) requires regenerating all successors and redoing the work they contain. This protects the block chain from tampering.

The most widely used proof-of-work scheme is SHA-256, which was introduced by Bitcoin. Some other hashing algorithms that are used for proof-of-work include scrypt, Blake-256, CryptoNight,[1] HEFTY1, Quark, SHA-3, scrypt-jane, scrypt-n, and combinations.

The reality:

the checksum method only validates that a block  is a valid sha256 hash less than or equal to  the target described in the equation. this means, that at the hashing level there are nothing to verify how a hash was produced, only that it confirms all previous work and contains valid transaction data, satisfying the "Proof of Work" concept.

What does this mean for altcoins?

Typically, altcoins rely on hashing blocks using a different algorithm, then converting the hashed block to a sha256 unsigned integer.

This means that an attacker only has to have enough Sha-256 asics to account for 51% or more of the network hashrate and a modified client designed to hash with sha256 instead of all of these algorithm's that have been piggy backed on top of sha256.

What about chained hashing?

Chained hashing provides only the illusion of security, or security through obscurity as we like to call it. this collection of algorithms:

Here's a case study:

Logicoin:

https://github.com/Logicoin/logicoin/blob/master/src/hash.h

now, lets look at bitcoin:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/src/hash.h

As you can see, these alternative hashing implementations are reliant on conversion back to uint256 then hashed as sha256, meaning that the entire hashing process can simply be shortcircuited back to sha256, bypassing these algorithms entirely, making the coin mineable by sha256 asics.

Additionally, the flaws with chained hashing algorithm's do not stop here. With WildKeccak derivates such as Boolberry and JackpotCoin, it is possible to short circuit the internal switch statements that chooses which hash to use in a given round. An attacker could modify his client to use the weakest, fastest hash every round, producing a clear advantage for his miners.

Additionally, this exposes a flaw in every coin other than bitcoin, and there in also reiterates the true strength of bitcoin, which relies solely on the strength of the sha256 algorithm and the proof of work concept to secure the blockchain. If you are looking for innovation in altcoins, it simply doesn't exist in a true form to date.

Conclusion

How can this issue be addressed?
Through mathematics, plain and simple. If you want to add additional hashing algorithms to bitcoin, you need to modify proof of work with additional checksum algorithms to confirm a given hash satisfies the specifications of your hashing algorithm. With chained hashing, you want to make a requirement that will show the block was hashed in a specific order. adding this data to the block defeats the purpose and a method of bypassing this will be discovered relatively easily. Instead, you might want to follow the approach of the BCRYPT hashing algorithm, which appends data to the beggining and end of a hash, offering information as to how the hash was produced.

One might be able to determine an algorithm for appending a secret to the end of the hash, and number for each round of hashing to the beginning.

say we have four rounds of hashing well to illustrate my point this is what our block hashing method might look like.

step1:

input -> 0xfe 0xdd 0xbe 0xfd //some random data
secret[0]-> //some random data computed from our input
hash-> create a hash from secret and input

result:

secret[0].hash.input  //our result hash string would

at the end of 4 rounds our hash would look like

secret[3].secret[2].secret[1].secret[0].hash / input

in this example, we can easily prove all subsequent steps in the chained hashing algorithm originated from the original input, while making it difficult to replicate without performing the entirety of the work.

Again mathematics, plain and simple.

is the claim so outrageous. what does checkProofOfWork do exactly?

i'll comment it for you so you understand.

Code:
bool CheckProofOfWork(uint256 hash, unsigned int nBits)
{
    CBigNum bnTarget;
    bnTarget.SetCompact(nBits);

// Check range
    if (bnTarget <= 0 || bnTarget > bnProofOfWorkLimit) // if Target <= 0 OR target > limit
        return error("CheckProofOfWork() : nBits below minimum work");

// Check proof of work matches claimed amount
    if (hash > bnTarget.getuint256())  //if hash > Target
        return error("CheckProofOfWork() : hash doesn't match nBits");

return true;//it passed the test, it must be valid.
}
https://github.com/Logicoin/logicoin/blob/master/src/main.cpp  line 1420

now, for CheckWork:

Code:
bool CheckWork(CBlock* pblock, CWallet& wallet, CReserveKey& reservekey)
{
    uint256 hash = pblock->GetPoWHash(); //get the block hash, which is obviously sha256

uint256 hashTarget = CBigNum().SetCompact(pblock->nBits).getuint256();

if (hash > hashTarget)
        return false;

//// debug print
    printf("LogiCoinMiner:\n");
    printf("proof-of-work found  \n  hash: %s  \ntarget: %s\n", hash.GetHex().c_str(), hashTarget.GetHex().c_str());
    pblock->print();
    printf("generated %s\n", FormatMoney(pblock->vtx[0].vout[0].nValue).c_str());

// Found a solution
    {
        LOCK(cs_main);
        if (pblock->hashPrevBlock != hashBestChain)
            return error("LogiCoinMiner : generated block is stale");

// Remove key from key pool
        reservekey.KeepKey();

// Track how many getdata requests this block gets
        {
            LOCK(wallet.cs_wallet);
            wallet.mapRequestCount[pblock->GetHash()] = 0;
        }

// Process this block the same as if we had received it from another node
        CValidationState state;
        if (!ProcessBlock(state, NULL, pblock))
            return error("LogiCoinMiner : ProcessBlock, block not accepted");
    }

return true;
}

The hashings itself may occur in other algorithms, but the checks are only ran on sha256 hashes, which was my point all along. if the sha256 hash satisfies the target it doesn't matter whether the extra hashing ever occured.

I'm having trouble understanding what the argument against my theory is? is it that short circuiting can't possibly produce a valid hash without all the extra hashing? i don't believe that to be true.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 01:51:36 AM

If i am wrong, please post a reply. this is only theory based upon observation of various source codes and my approximate understanding of the concept of Proof Of Work, and the various implementations available in the altcoin scene.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 01:56:33 AM

shhh  Lips sealed r3wt don't let reality get in the way of some good 'innovation' stories  Wink
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:03:06 AM

shhh  Lips sealed r3wt don't let reality get in the way of some good 'innovation' stories  Wink

lol, from where i'm sitting it looks like the innovation stories are just cover up for the Bitcoin Asic flashmining behind the scenes. I could be completely wrong though. There could be some magical code i didn't see that prevents this from happening...

AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:15:52 AM

Wouldn't it be easier to "make the point" by moding a mining program and raping non-sha altcoins?

Why expend energy in trying to convince others about the theory, instead of actually doing it and showing it? What is the obstacle?
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:19:48 AM

Wouldn't it be easier to "make the point" by moding a mining program and raping non-sha altcoins?

Why expend energy in trying to convince others about the theory, instead of actually doing it and showing it? What is the obstacle?

I'm seeking someone with a fairly large amount of Sha 256 asics to help me test the theory.

AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:21:35 AM

I'm seeking someone with a fairly large amount of Sha 256 asics to help me test the theory.

Some altcoin algos run at like 3-5 Mhs at some GPUs while SHA256 runs at like 500 MHs. It's already 100x+. Why do you need asics? Mod a client and have fun.

In the case of cryptonight which runs at like a few hashes per sec, you are orders of magnitude faster with 500 MHs of a GPU running sha256.
Titan

Activity: 261
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:27:10 AM

the checksum method only validates that a block  is a valid sha256 hash less than or equal to  the target described in the equation. this means, that at the hashing level there are nothing to verify how a hash was produced, only that it confirms all previous work and contains valid transaction data, satisfying the "Proof of Work" concept.

There is a check for the correct PoW hash in CheckBlock():

if (!CheckProofOfWork(GetPoWHash(), nBits))
        return DoS(50, error("CheckBlock() : proof of work failed"));

I don't see how you can get around this check.
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:27:28 AM

Some altcoin algos run at like 3-5 Mhs at some GPUs while SHA256 runs at like 500 MHs. It's already 100x+. Why do you need asics? Mod a client and have fun.

In the case of cryptonight which runs at like a few hashes per sec, you are orders of magnitude faster with 500 MHs of a GPU sha256.

You don't understand the premise at all. The hashes are always converted back to sha256, meaning theoretically you could short circuit the entire algorithms of these coins with bitcoin's sha 256 algorithm and still produce valid blocks on the network.

AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:29:14 AM

In the case of cryptonight which runs at like a few hashes per sec, you are orders of magnitude faster with 500 MHs of a GPU sha256.

You don't understand the premise at all. The hashes are always converted back to sha256, meaning theoretically you could short circuit the entire algorithms of these coins with bitcoin's sha 256 algorithm and still produce valid blocks on the network.

No I understand what you are saying. I do not understand why you "require" sha256 asics for "testing it". You can test it even with a cpu (or gpu).
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:30:34 AM

There is a check for the correct PoW hash in CheckBlock():

if (!CheckProofOfWork(GetPoWHash(), nBits))
        return DoS(50, error("CheckBlock() : proof of work failed"));

I don't see how you can get around this check.

Well yes, thats the basics of proof of work. however the problem is, its only verifying a sha 256 hash. not the hashes that produced that hash, so my premise is that you can shortcircuit the entire process and just mine any of these coins with sha 256 ASIC.

iGotAIDS

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:31:00 AM

No I understand what you are saying. I do not understand why you "require" sha256 asics for "testing it". You can test it even with a cpu (or gpu).

Yea, in theory one of the slow chained scrypts should be vulnerable, how about Franko? Mod a client and hit that shit hard, lets see if it will break.
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:31:55 AM

The premise here is that this flaw could allow 51% attacks on alternate-algorithm coins with bitcoin hardware.

foodies123

Activity: 322

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:37:07 AM

If I understand this correctly and it's a fesible scenario it wouldn't affect multi-pows like myriad because submitting a sha256 generated block directly will be assigned to the sha256 part of the chain and will not affect the other 4 algorithms even though their final hash is done via sha hashing.

nope
AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:37:15 AM

The premise here is that this flaw could allow 51% attacks on alternate-algorithm coins with bitcoin hardware.

You have a wrong premise. The main vulnerability is NOT bitcoin hardware, but the speed differential between sha256 and other hashes. If cryptonight hashes at a few hashes per second and you use a sha256 800 mhash GPU (7970), why would you need an ASIC hardware? You will already have 99.9% of the network.
foodies123

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:38:51 AM

You have a wrong premise. The main vulnerability is NOT bitcoin hardware, but the speed differential between sha256 and other hashes. If cryptonight hashes at a few hashes per second and you use a sha256 800 mhash GPU (7970), why would you need an ASIC hardware? You will already have 99.9% of the network.

you're both not understanding each other. your arguments have nothing to do with his and vice versa.

nope
AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:41:18 AM

you're both not understanding each other. your arguments have nothing to do with his and vice versa.

Excuse me:

He writes

As you can see, these alternative hashing implementations are reliant on conversion back to uint256 then hashed as sha256, meaning that the entire hashing process can simply be shortcircuited back to sha256, bypassing these algorithms entirely, making the coin mineable by sha256 asics.

Why would the short-circuiting of the hash only work in ASICs and not in CPUs or GPUs (with SHA256 mining software)? Please explain this to me because I'm an idiot.
foodies123

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:41:48 AM

Hmmm so you're saying get a modified client, rip out the part where the hash is verified on it's respective algo and just leave the part where the hash is verified after the sha256 final hashing thus if the submitted block was created using sha256 correctly the final check will pass it as good ... it's a very good question but I'm in no position to respond to it. I've messaged a trained coin dev with your thread as it seems very very interesting.

nope
foodies123

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:42:46 AM

Excuse me:

He writes

Why would the short-circuiting of the hash only work in ASICs and not in CPUs or GPUs (with SHA256 mining software)? Please explain this to me because I'm an idiot.

Yeah he didn't get that, your point is valid, you don't need asics to mine sha256, you can generate sha256 blocks with any mining hardware Smiley

nope
AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:44:28 AM

Excuse me:

He writes

Yeah he didn't get that, your point is valid, you don't need asics to mine sha256, you can generate sha256 blocks with any mining hardware Smiley

Exactly. And GPU sha256 is orders of magnitude faster than many other algos (so bypassing the other algos ensures a tremendous speed advantage). Hence the "requirement" for ASIC sha256 to "test it" is bogus. So why doesn't he make a software mining client for cpu or gpu so that we can see it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: