Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:29:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tally stick lasted 720 yrs. Was it the worlds 1st and most successful digital Cy  (Read 3525 times)
qwerty555 (OP)

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 05:19:44 AM

First (National /widely used) and most successful (to date) digital currency..the Tally stick   ?

http://www.iamthewitness.com/books/Andrew.Carrington.Hitchcock/The.History.of.the.Money.Changers.htm

King Henry I succeeds King William II to the throne of England. During his reign he decided to take the power the money changers had over the people, and he did this by creating a completely new form of money that took the form of a stick! This stick was called, a "talley stick," and ended up being the longest lasting form of currency, lasting 726 years until 1826 (

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=tally+stick+history&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=SZ2vU9zlM8mE8Qfl8oGIAQ
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptopaths

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Crypto Knight

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 05:35:34 AM

First (National /widely used) and most successful (to date) digital currency..the Tally stick   ?

http://www.iamthewitness.com/books/Andrew.Carrington.Hitchcock/The.History.of.the.Money.Changers.htm

King Henry I succeeds King William II to the throne of England. During his reign he decided to take the power the money changers had over the people, and he did this by creating a completely new form of money that took the form of a stick! This stick was called, a "talley stick," and ended up being the longest lasting form of currency, lasting 726 years until 1826 (

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=tally+stick+history&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=SZ2vU9zlM8mE8Qfl8oGIAQ

Do you understand what a digital currency is?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 05:44:46 AM

Bitcoin is much like the tally stick. In fact, it's a good analogy when explaining it to bankers. Then you can throw in Yap Stones.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
gondel
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 06:09:30 AM

A tally (or tally stick or BTC) was an ancient memory aid device used to record and document numbers, quantities, or even messages. Tally sticks (BTC) first appear as animal bones carved with notches, in the Upper Paleolithic; a notable example is the Ishango Bone. Historical reference is made by Pliny the Elder (AD 23–79) about the best wood to use for tallies, and by Marco Polo (1254–1324) who mentions the use of the tally(BTC) in China. Tallies(BTC) have been used for numerous purposes such as messaging and scheduling, and especially in financial and legal transactions, to the point of being currency.
Cheesy
acs267

Activity: 644

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 06:15:35 AM

I don't think you understand exactly what 'digital' means, however, I shall tell you:

Most likely, if the Internet wasn't alive, then it's not a digital currency. Thank you.
qwerty555 (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 06:37:14 AM
Last edit: June 29, 2014, 07:43:21 AM by qwerty555

I don't think you understand exactly what 'digital' means, however, I shall tell you:

Most likely, if the Internet wasn't alive, then it's not a digital currency. Thank you.

whilst you are correct that the definition (which could be amended) includes that it is electronically created
a) it was clearly a currency for many centuries

b) Obviously it was digital

dig•it•al (ˈdɪdʒ ɪ tl)

adj.
1. of, pertaining to, or resembling a digit or finger.
2. manipulated with a finger: a digital switch.
3. having digits or digitlike parts.
4. of, pertaining to, or using data in the form of numerical digits: a digital recording.
5. displaying a readout in numerical digits rather than by a pointer or hands on a dial: a digital clock.
6. Computers. involving or using numerical digits expressed in a scale of notation to represent discretely all variables occurring in a problem.
7. of, pertaining to, or using numerical calculations.
8. available in electronic form; readable and manipulable by computer.
n.
9. one of the keys or finger levers of keyboard instruments.
10. a digital device, as a clock or watch.

c) it was virtual

d) it was a medium of exchange

So we could consider the tally stick a digital currency  pre dating electricity/internet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_currency

Apart from the "electronically created" part of the def. which was not an option in 1100A.D.  it fullfills the virtual and medium of exchange aspects which are arguably the more important part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_of_exchange

Digital currency is a form of virtual currency or medium of exchange

and its aims and effect, to remove power and abuse from money changers/bankers is consistent with the aims of todays virtual and crypto currency  Smiley

additionally the conclusions of the author in the  2006 book may well be altered with the rise of cryptos since 2009
spinf

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 11:04:43 AM

whilst you are correct that the definition (which could be amended) includes that it is electronically created
a) it was clearly a currency for many centuries

b) Obviously it was digital

dig•it•al (ˈdɪdʒ ɪ tl)

adj.
1. of, pertaining to, or resembling a digit or finger.
2. manipulated with a finger: a digital switch.
3. having digits or digitlike parts.
4. of, pertaining to, or using data in the form of numerical digits: a digital recording.
5. displaying a readout in numerical digits rather than by a pointer or hands on a dial: a digital clock.
6. Computers. involving or using numerical digits expressed in a scale of notation to represent discretely all variables occurring in a problem.
7. of, pertaining to, or using numerical calculations.
8. available in electronic form; readable and manipulable by computer.
n.
9. one of the keys or finger levers of keyboard instruments.
10. a digital device, as a clock or watch.

c) it was virtual

d) it was a medium of exchange

So we could consider the tally stick a digital currency  pre dating electricity/internet

Apart from the "electronically created" part of the def. which was not an option in 1100A.D.  it fullfills the virtual and medium of exchange aspects which are arguably the more important part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_of_exchange

Digital currency is a form of virtual currency or medium of exchange

and its aims and effect, to remove power and abuse from money changers/bankers is consistent with the aims of todays virtual and crypto currency  Smiley

additionally the conclusions of the author in the  2006 book may well be altered with the rise of cryptos since 2009

+1
clearly digital to me as well.
however, not really a crypto currency
qwerty555 (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 11:12:52 AM

I would agree..not a cryptocurrency as the code on the tally stick is not secret

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptocurrency

Cryptography def

noun
the science or study of the techniques of secret writing, especially code and cipher systems, methods, and the like.
Compare cryptanalysis (def 2).
the procedures, processes, methods, etc., of making and using secret writing, as codes or ciphers.
anything written in a secret code, cipher, or the like.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 12:06:36 PM

and you don't have bank, credit card or Wifi ... and smartphone.  Grin we can continu like this ... unlimity time.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 12:11:58 PM

I would agree..not a cryptocurrency as the code on the tally stick is not secret

There is *nothing encrypted* in the Bitcoin blockchain - so am not sure why secret is relevant here.

I think the term "crypto" is not entirely well understood when it pertains to something like Bitcoin in particular.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 12:12:32 PM

The tally stick's tally is indeed digital. It was a currency. It wasn't electronic or transmitted digitally.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 01:15:42 PM

The tally stick rather is the analog equivalent to Ripple (the original concept of 2004), or a LETS, i.e. a debt/obligations recording instrument.

The analog equivalent to Bitcoin would rather be seashells or indeed the Yap stones.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
tidda

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 06:41:20 PM

Is there a silver 'tally stick' equivalent?
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 10:43:12 PM

doge stick?  wow
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 11:19:04 PM

Is there a silver 'tally stick' equivalent?
They were payable in gold, silver, or whatever was the unit of account in the region. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tally_stick

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Dogtanian

Activity: 756

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 12:22:16 PM

The tally stick's tally is indeed digital. It was a currency. It wasn't electronic or transmitted digitally.

Most people who refer to bitcoin as a digital currency do so because it's transferred digitally, not because it's comprised of digits. Isn't all currencies comprised of digits? Since a money stick cannot be transmitted or replicated digitally I'd say it's not a digital currency.
qwerty555 (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 02:38:40 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2014, 03:06:13 PM by qwerty555

Most people who refer to bitcoin as a digital currency do so because it's transferred digitally, not because it's comprised of digits. Isn't all currencies comprised of digits? Since a money stick cannot be transmitted or replicated digitally I'd say it's not a digital currency.

All fiat is also digital as it uses numbers so you are correct and part of the current widely accepted definition includes that it should be created electronically(and transmitted?) which a tally stick is not. However an  important part of the definition for me is that it was stored, a virtual currency and a medium of exchange(with centralized recording , somewhat revolutionary for the day) which the tally was .that is 3 of the 4 requirements to the definition.....

Digital currency is a form of virtual currency or medium of exchange that is electronically created and stored

Whilst it does not fully fit with todays definition because of the "electronically created" part of the def. it arguably has enough (stored/virtual/medium of exchange)to consider it a forerunner to modern day digital currencies.

in fact it did take electrical energy to activate the nerves in the hand to cut the notches in the stick so using a loooooong stretch of the imagination it was created electronically . Smiley  The widely held belief that it should be through a computer and be able to be transmitted electronically is not strictly in the definition.  

electronic money or e-money definition is the one that fits more closely with the use of computers and internet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_money
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 02:58:05 PM

Tally sticks were not decentralized though. However, given the route Bitcoin is going, yeah, Bitcoin = tally stick Cheesy
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2014, 03:04:21 PM

Wow, very interesting observations. I've studied the tally stick in the past, but never made these connections with bitcoin. I agree and disagree with quite a few points, but regardless, its very interesting.

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2014, 03:19:22 PM

Tally sticks were not decentralized though. However, given the route Bitcoin is going, yeah, Bitcoin = tally stick Cheesy

They were. No central authority necessarily needed. A direct contract between two parties. Verification provided by nature. You could see from the structure of the wood if the two pieces fit together.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: