Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:47:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you have any interest in the board described below?  (Voting closed: March 09, 2012, 03:34:41 PM)
Yes. Would definitely buy (yesterday). - 6 (19.4%)
Yes. Would likely buy. - 9 (29%)
Maybe. Have concerns or questions. - 4 (12.9%)
No. Price is too high. - 5 (16.1%)
No.  I just don't have a use for it - 7 (22.6%)
Total Voters: 31

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there any interest in a hardware board which will allow remote power cycling  (Read 19475 times)
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 08:49:22 AM

How's this project going?
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PulsedMedia

Activity: 402
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2012, 02:05:00 PM

I think the consensus now is that http://www.ebay.com/itm/180563287252?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 gets the job done Smiley

http://PulsedMedia.com - Semidedicated rTorrent seedboxes
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 02:18:10 PM

My prototype is working.  I will share some pics tonight.  I have been busy working on watercooling stuff.  The code used to drive the prototype is ugly.  I am still debating if I will commercialize it.  On one hand it likely will be a lot of work with low margins.  On the other hand if enough units are sold that will likely create the demand for third party applications to provide
support which helps me.

I'll post the photos and see what kind of feedback I get.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 03:27:40 PM

My prototype is working.  I will share some pics tonight.  I have been busy working on watercooling stuff.  The code used to drive the prototype is ugly.  I am still debating if I will commercialize it.  On one hand it likely will be a lot of work with low margins.  On the other hand if enough units are sold that will likely create the demand for third party applications to provide
support which helps me.

What is this going to cost to make it worth your while?
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 03:29:13 PM

This sounds interesting but as always the devil is in the details...... Grin

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 03:33:44 PM

My prototype is working.  I will share some pics tonight.  I have been busy working on watercooling stuff.  The code used to drive the prototype is ugly.  I am still debating if I will commercialize it.  On one hand it likely will be a lot of work with low margins.  On the other hand if enough units are sold that will likely create the demand for third party applications to provide
support which helps me.

What is this going to cost to make it worth your while?

To put this another way, I see two routes to getting remote power cycling.

Option #1 -> http://pdusdirect.com/power-distribution-units/switched/pdu-cw-8h2-c20m
Options #2 -> D&T having mercy on me with a reasonable price that he can still make good money on

With option #1, I would need at least 8.
PulsedMedia

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2012, 03:38:07 PM

Option #1 -> http://pdusdirect.com/power-distribution-units/switched/pdu-cw-8h2-c20m
Options #2 -> D&T having mercy on me with a reasonable price that he can still make good money on

But you can purchase that ethernet relay board, and it's completely open, so what's the prob on using them? :O

DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 03:51:50 PM

But you can purchase that ethernet relay board, and it's completely open, so what's the prob on using them? :O

Nothing.  One could also write their own miner or build their own pool too.  I would imagine not everyone would want to research boards, find one that is compatible, cut custom wiring harness, and code up an API.  Still there is nothing that is stopping them.

Having a common API is the reason I am interested in making a standardized board and API.  I already have a board and it gives me manual remote power control.  

However to expand beyond that I need there to be enough similar boards so that third parties look to support them via API.

Like:
* Having a cgminer monitoring program (like anubis) which reboots any rig in a farm as needed when a GPU crashes.
* Building a hearbeat into BAMT (and as a package for other linux distros) that the relay board listens for and reboots a server when its haearbeat stops.
* paying a third party to provide SMS support for the relay board so that you can get messages when a rig is rebooted.

There are advantages of having large number of people using the same hardware and software.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 03:55:34 PM

I think he wants serial, not ethernet, and these suit perfectly: http://www.controlanything.com/Relay/Device/R220HP

24 bucks for a dual 20 amp SPDT relay board, homebrew serial. If you want 9-pin d-sub connectors, use http://www.controlanything.com/Relay/Device/R220HPRS for 10 bucks more.

If your rigs only have 1 power supply, use the single relay board for $19 each: http://www.controlanything.com/Relay/Device/R120HP or the same thing with 9-pin d-sub for $29: http://www.controlanything.com/Relay/Device/R120HPRS

If you want to mortgage the farm, they offer a 32-relay board with 20 amp SPDT relays for $933: http://www.controlanything.com/Relay/Device/ZUXPR3220PROXR_ZRS

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 03:57:40 PM

Dual relays are pretty much useless for anyone with a farm.  I have 8 going on 12 rigs.  giga has 32 rigs.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 04:31:48 PM

Dual relays are pretty much useless for anyone with a farm.  I have 8 going on 12 rigs.  giga has 32 rigs.

I have 18 rigs (*starts dreaming about 32 rigs for a second). 3 per 208v 20amp circuit. 6 take care of the GPU rigs and the computer running the singles. The other 2 are for, well, more BFL equipment.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 04:48:17 PM

I have 18 rigs (*starts dreaming about 32 rigs for a second). 3 per 208v 20amp circuit. 6 take care of the GPU rigs and the computer running the singles. The other 2 are for, well, more BFL equipment.
My thinking was to chop up the power cords and place the serial relays inline, but I can see that that would be a pain for so many machines.

In a dual PSU rig, it is only necessary to switch off the first PSU (the one that powers the motherboard), and not both, so an SPDT relay would be all that is needed. It is a good idea to use SPDT, because then you can connect the rigs across the normally closed terminal and leave the relays in the "off" position unless you want to power cycle a rig. Less wear and tear.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
PulsedMedia

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2012, 06:31:13 AM

Having a common API is the reason I am interested in making a standardized board and API.  I already have a board and it gives me manual remote power control.  

I thought this cheapo ethernet relay board software includes an open API.

I actually got shipment for mine to US so can't fiddle around yet, but i'm sure i can whip up an easy to use interfacing layer quite fast when i do.

DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 12:59:59 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2012, 02:59:26 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Some details and photos.  Sorry about not getting the photos out last night.  Wife had a bad day at work and we "solved" it by getting plastered.  

Note: the board in the photo is a higher end board with lots of ADC (measuring analog sensors), and DC power circuits.  It is much more expensive (~$200) than anyone would want for turning rigs on and off.  I bought this because I need remote sensor monitoring and out of band power control.   Still it should give people some ideas.

My goal is to use a similar lower end board with 8 2A relays and USB interface.  I scrapped serial interface idea as I found a board which doesn't have a huge premium for USB over serial.  Power is 12VDC supplied by a Molex adapter.  Each kit will include the relay board, control software (initially Windows but eventually Windows & Linux) and wiring adapters for power control.

The power control adapter connects to the ATX header on the motherboard.  It is connected to the power switch not reset pins.

Why switch power at the motherboard and not from the wall?  Cost and safety.  To handle full rig current would require using 10A relays and inductive capacitor which add about $20 in cost.  Honestly even that is risky.  Pulling >1200W could burn the relay and possibly the usb controller.  Worse if voltage sags (which can happen) then current rises.  1100W on a 102V circuit is >10A.  So to be safe under all conditions 15A/20A relays would be better and that adds about $40.

Switching low voltage DC is safer and easier.  Worst case scenario if relay fails in open or closed posistion it is no different than either not pushing or continually pushing the power button on your computer.  Failures are "clean" and safe.  Motherboards and ATX PSU already have the expensive relays and safety circuitry built in so why not use it.

I tested it with leads as long as 6 feet and switching is reliable.  I did 20 on off cycles and had no failed trips.  I can test it for longer leads is there is need.    Essentially the relay is no different than pressing and holding the power switch.

Configuration requires a little testing.  I found it takes 1200 msec to power on rig, and 4000 msec to power off the rig.  A nice feature is that is the status of the rig is unknown keeping relay closed for 6500 msec will ensure the rig is now off.  (If it was off it will power on and then back off).  I call that "forced off".  Since the board can't know for sure if a rig is off, "forced off" can be used to put the rig in a known state.  It then can be powered on.  I imagine this will vary by motherboard but can be tested/verified by simply pressing and holding the power switch.

This afternoon after I get out of some meetings I will post some shots of the (alpha) software.

I have experience to write a windows software.  A command line and GUI application for manual control and configuration plus JSON API for extending functionality to third party applications.    I will need assistance with porting that over to Linux.  Someone has (thankfully) already PM indicating he is interested in helping on the Linux side and based on his coding experience it shouldn't be an issue.  I will let him announce it in the thread if he wants it public.

Cost will be ~$100 per kit (controls 8 rigs)
* USB relay board with eight 5A SPDT
* wiring for connectivity, power, and connections to remote rigs (plus some spares)
* open source manual control software plus API which would allow 3rd parties to write automated control (reboot on crashed GPU)
* support & troubleshooting

Update:  mini USB relay board.
If there is enough interest I can also offer a 4 rig version for $75.  Sorry less relays don't save that much but if someone knows they will never need more 4 rigs switched it might be an option.  The mini board would work exactly the same except it would have 4 not 8 5A SPDT relays.

To make this worthwhile I will need interest in at least 10 boards.  Sorry but margins are small and my time is valuable.  Not asking it as this point but before I order parts I will require a $10 pre-order deposit.  I board isn't shipped in 4 weeks (should be faster than that) or final price ends up being >$100 you can cancel and get deposit back.  If board is ready for shipping at <=$100 deposit is non-refundable (you could sell your deposit to someone else).

Thoughts, comments, questions, concerns, rants, objections?
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2012, 01:33:24 PM

I'm down for at least 2 of them.  However, can you reiterate what is hosting this?  Another machine?  Essentially, we'd have to have a barebones dedicated machine to handle this to have some reliability, right?

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 01:38:01 PM

I'm down for at least 2 of them.  However, can you reiterate what is hosting this?  Another machine?  Essentially, we'd have to have a barebones dedicated machine to handle this to have some reliability, right?

Yes.  Any machine with USB connectivity and capable of either windows or linux would be fine.  I would recommend it not being a mining rig for maximum reliability.   I am using a barebones machine which hosts p2pool and bitcoind as well as running ANUBIS for monitoring.

I looked into ethernet boards but they were more expensive and that still requires some software running somewhere to do automated reboots.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2012, 01:48:30 PM

Ok... in either case, it's better than most alternatives, so I'm definitely in for 2.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
ShadesOfMarble
Donator

Activity: 543
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 02:43:34 PM

What's wrong with something like this? (I think about purchasing one)

http://www.reichelt.de/?ACTION=3;ARTICLE=102254;GROUPID=4308;PROVID=2351;&utm_source=Preisvergleich&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Preisvergleich_preisroboter.de#av_tabdata

~ 130 USD, max. current 10A

Review of the Spondoolies-Tech SP10 „Dawson“ Bitcoin miner (1.4 TH/s)

[22:35] <Vinnie_win> Did anyone get paid yet? | [22:36] <Isokivi> pirate did!
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 02:46:04 PM

If I could read that web page, I might be interested.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 02:48:24 PM

Far right drop down has English.   There you go..... Grin

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: