Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 11:06:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Conference 2012- London 15-16 Sept | ANNOUNCEMENT sponsorship available!  (Read 60315 times)
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 01:15:08 AM
Last edit: July 19, 2012, 01:52:54 AM by finway

I don't think Bitcoinica "Bitcoin Consultancy" should be the sponsor of this Conference.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nefario (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 05:43:32 AM

I don't think Bitcoinica "Bitcoin Consultancy" should be the sponsor of this Conference.

They're not, they are the organisers which they should be, they ran an excellent conference last year in Prague, this one is going to be an absolute blast, have you not seen the list of speakers?

One word - Awesome.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 08:14:19 AM

... have you not seen the list of speakers?
Richard Stallman and Max Keiser in the one place? Awesome indeed!
finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 09:23:28 AM

They're not, they are the organisers which they should be, they ran an excellent conference last year in Prague, this one is going to be an absolute blast, have you not seen the list of speakers?

One word - Awesome.

Richard Stallman ? This rocks.

DublinBrian

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 04:45:20 PM

... have you not seen the list of speakers?
Richard Stallman and Max Keiser in the one place? Awesome indeed!
Why should Max Keiser be invited? He has not supported bitcoin much since the initial topic on his tv show, back in 2011.

His crowdsourcing website piratemyfilm.com still uses paypal and does not accept bitcoin.

Nor does he accept bitcoin payments for his standup shows when he goes on tour.

He should be dis-invited.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 04:49:30 PM

His crowdsourcing website piratemyfilm.com still uses paypal and does not accept bitcoin.
I'm pretty sure it does, you just can't have both within one funding - it's one or the other. Screw Banks was funded on his platform. http://screwbanks.net/

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1071

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 05:04:09 PM

And yet he's willing to pay his own flight ticket, accommodation and speak for free. He also draws a good crowd that brings attention to lesser known developers. He's definitely good for Bitcoin.
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 05:39:05 PM

And yet he's willing to pay his own flight ticket, accommodation and speak for free. He also draws a good crowd that brings attention to lesser known developers. He's definitely good for Bitcoin.
Also, he understands Bitcoin (low transaction costs & getting rid of banksters).
genjix
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 12:25:34 PM

Hey,

I added details of the venue, places to stay and directions:

http://www.bitcoin2012.com/venue

I'll put up the schedule soon.

For tickets, email genjix@bitcoin2012.com. First 100 tickets are €40.
genjix
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 04:35:00 PM

I put up the schedule, http://www.bitcoin2012.com/schedule
genjix
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 12:30:27 PM

Joerg Platzer of Room77 is now on the speaker list.
genjix
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 12:25:59 PM

Confirmed James McCarthy (nefario) of GLBSE and Jeremias (kangasbros) of AcceptBit, LocalBitcoins as speakers.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 09:05:58 PM

FYI, there is now a "Meetups" board for events.  There is no post there for this.  Or perhaps move this thread there.

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=86.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

BitBuster

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 09:18:42 PM

Confirmed James McCarthy (nefario) of GLBSE and Jeremias (kangasbros) of AcceptBit, LocalBitcoins as speakers.
HEY
Dont you have more important stuff to do? Whats the status on the Bitcoinica returns??
1. why are the claims gone? are they backed up safely?
2. will the return process continue as soon as Zhou sent the funds?
Surely, it is unteneble for individuals who are most probably engaged with or subject of bitcoin-related legal cases in several jurisdictions, to be organising and administrating this event?

Are all of the guest speakers aware that their hosts have reputations which are at best under severe community and legal scrutiny?

Surely there is also a risk that disgruntled Bitcoinica customers will attend the event and disrupt it in an attempt to gain refunds to which they believe they are rightfully and legally entitled?

Perhaps it would be best to transfer "ownership" and organisation duties to some neutral, knowledgeable and senior members of the community? For the sake of saving this event and future ones from jeopardy and damaged reputation? All of this without prejudice to those currently in post, of course.

BB.
sarpar

Activity: 100

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 09:32:25 PM

HEY
Dont you have more important stuff to do? Whats the status on the Bitcoinica returns??
1. why are the claims gone? are they backed up safely?
2. will the return process continue as soon as Zhou sent the funds?
Surely, it is unteneble for individuals who are most probably engaged with or subject of bitcoin-related legal cases in several jurisdictions, to be organising and administrating this event?

Are all of the guest speakers aware that their hosts have reputations which are at best under severe community and legal scrutiny?

Surely there is also a risk that disgruntled Bitcoinica customers will attend the event and disrupt it in an attempt to gain refunds to which they believe they are rightfully and legally entitled?

Perhaps it would be best to transfer "ownership" and organisation duties to some neutral, knowledgeable and senior members of the community? For the sake of saving this event and future ones from jeopardy and damaged reputation? All of this without prejudice to those currently in post, of course.

BB.
+1 Wisely spoken

I openly boycott the Bitcoinica Consultancy team or Intersango: Donald Norman, Patrick Strateman and Amir Taaki
btcprophet

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 02:23:49 AM

Perhaps the speakers should be contacted by someone reputable and informed that the organizers are crooks...
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:54:04 AM

Perhaps the speakers should be contacted by someone reputable and informed that the organizers are crooks...

they are no crooks
they just prefer not to answer any mails or to do any action as soon as it gets compilicated.

^^ good to know if you want to do businness with them
Nefario (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 09:41:16 AM

Excuse me, as one of the organisers (who is not involved with bitcoinica in any way) I take considerable offence to this, I and others (who are also not involved in the bitcoinica saga) have put a huge amount of time, effort, energy and our own funds into the organising of this event, and you want to ruin what is to be not just a great conference for everyone involved in bitcoin, but what is surely to be a historic event(700 people).

You'd cut off your own nose to spite your face? Attempt to ruin something for hundreds of other people (who have paid for tickets, accomadation and transport, and the number of small bitcoin startups who've already sponsored the event). Do you realise you would be doing nothing to further your own agenda by taking such a route, but only fucking the whole thing up for everyone else?

And what about the media, you think it wouldn't refect badly on bitcoin because that's what this conference is about, bitcoin and bringing it to the world, how do you think it would look to the rest of the world when they read (in the back of a paper for certain) about bitcoin conference ruined by a small group of protesters who lost their funds on a bitcoin service.

It will be about bitcoin being a wild west, a place for thieves, unreliable. You want that kind of media attention?

I'd thank you to stop your juvenile talk of protests and keep anything bitcoinica related off my thread.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 09:46:57 AM

Excuse me, as one of the organisers (who is not involved with bitcoinica in any way) I take considerable offence to this, I and others (who are also not involved in the bitcoinica saga) have put a huge amount of time, effort, energy and our own funds into the organising of this event, and you want to ruin what is to be not just a great conference for everyone involved in bitcoin, but what is surely to be a historic event(700 people).

You'd cut off your own nose to spite your face? Attempt to ruin something for hundreds of other people (who have paid for tickets, accomadation and transport, and the number of small bitcoin startups who've already sponsored the event). Do you realise you would be doing nothing to further your own agenda by taking such a route, but only fucking the whole thing up for everyone else?

And what about the media, you think it wouldn't refect badly on bitcoin because that's what this conference is about, bitcoin and bringing it to the world, how do you think it would look to the rest of the world when they read (in the back of a paper for certain) about bitcoin conference ruined by a small group of protesters who lost their funds on a bitcoin service.

It will be about bitcoin being a wild west, a place for thieves, unreliable. You want that kind of media attention?

I'd thank you to stop your juvenile talk of protests and keep anything bitcoinica related off my thread.

i can totally understand you and i (i can only speak for myself) dont want to hurt this conference.

but you should be aware that this people are not good for bitcoin anymore. and i can imagine that only because they are involved many people are scared away.

i wont post anything bitcoinica<->intersango related at bitcointalk any more (and i beg others to do the same) - at this point its only bad press and nothing more.
BitBuster

Activity: 101

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 02:12:56 PM

Nefario, I sympathise with you. However:
Is exactly how many Bitcoinica victims feel. There have been many exchange "hacks" and thefts. The only way we will be able to shake this reputation and scurge is if we persue and undermine those who practice such dispicable acts.

You and the rest of the Bitcoin conference should be embarrassed to be associated (which you are, whether intentional or not) with theives and suspected crooks at Intersango/Bitcoinica consultancy, and should be scrabbling around to remove them and all references/connections to them from the conference and the respectable side of bitcoin which you are trying to cultivate.

BB.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: