Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:56:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wonder who this solominer is? 88.6.216.9  (Read 60437 times)
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 12:25:07 PM

Next step could be asking mtgox if they're receiving BTC from the blocks mined by MM...

spiccioli

Is that really a road we want to go down?

BadBear,

90K USD/week can be sold on mtgox only, every other exchange can not handle such a high volume, so either we are concerned and we want to find out who he is or we can close this thread right now.

spiccioli

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 12:30:59 PM

Next step could be asking mtgox if they're receiving BTC from the blocks mined by MM...

spiccioli

BadBear,

90K USD/week can be sold on mtgox only, every other exchange can not handle such a high volume, so either we are concerned and we want to find out who he is or we can close this thread right now.

spiccioli

you really want mtgox to tell publicly about their customers and to act like a bitcoin police?
for me this would be a reason to leave bitcoin completely.

but i dont have a big problem with this miner anyway... its just interesting
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 12:31:37 PM

I think the bigger question here is how is our new MM cashing out?
To cash out $90k a month on mtgox.com is multiple steps in verifying your identification.

Yes. Just when BTC price was recovering nicely you get this huge vertical drop. Either the botter cashed out, or ppl are catching up with this story.
Anyway I would not have ordered a 5830 yesterday if I had read this before. This is bad bot for miners and BTC, since someone can get it for free stealing, and that is not exactly what inspire the trust of the market. If some antivirus company will not save us soon, I fear that we are freaking doomed.

That is the biggest sob story nonsense of the morning.  Either you have a need for doom & gloom or you are short BTC. Smiley

"save us"?  Really? 
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 12:35:16 PM
Last edit: March 20, 2012, 12:49:49 PM by BadBear

spiccioli

BadBear,

spiccioli

Right, but attempting to track people down by going through the exchanges is setting a bad precedent and something not a whole lot of people are going to support. And no I'm not going to close the thread because you had a bad idea and I don't like it.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 12:38:24 PM

spiccioli

I don't think so. And anyway: from a bitcoin perspective there are no "laws" against using a botnet to mine, are there? Neither are there any "laws" against tx-free blocks. The "laws" of bitcoin (bitcoin in terms of the blockchain) are the rules governing the blockchain implemented in the majority of the mining nodes.

If anyone wants to go after the botnet operator/owner through legal system, they are free to do so, but don't count on mtgox disclosing info without a court requiring them to do so.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
spiccioli
Legendary

nec sine labore

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 12:39:13 PM

spiccioli

BadBear,

spiccioli

you really want mtgox to tell publicly about their customers and to act like a bitcoin police?

Either we ask mtgox or we try to find out on our own we are already acting like police officers.

Someone yesterday port-scanned the IP, now what are we going to do?

Do we try to break in into one of the nodes?

Send abuse emails?

I have nothing against him but the fact that he is not including transactions.

If he keeps adding bots to his net he could become so large that he can disrupt the bitcoin network.

spiccioli
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 12:39:25 PM

spiccioli

BadBear,

spiccioli

Why close the thread? We can still speculate and "play police".

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 12:40:21 PM

... I fear that we are freaking doomed.
That is the biggest sob story nonsense of the morning.  Either you have a need for doom & gloom or you are short BTC. Smiley
"save us"?  Really? 

It's seems to me like a case of counterfeiting (even if it's not, actually). The point being that someone is already "printing" a large part of the monetary supply at almost no cost for him compared to legit miners. What is much worse is that if one did it, others can too (and will), and the worse would be when some "non profit botter" comes in play, just for the "lulz".
check_status

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 12:42:10 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2012, 01:00:38 AM by check_status

Is it possible some industrious pool operator is leveraging underutilized client hardware?
Damn Botnets.

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 12:43:49 PM

the major exchange doing stuff I don't like would not be a reason for me to abandon bitcoin at all. It might be a reason to abandon that exchange. I wouldn't even abandon bitcoin if there where no exchanges left.

Me neither, at least not yet. Let's see if the incentive structures of bitcoin work out. I doubt this miner is acting in ignorance to the fact that he might be hurting himself badly when mining well >50%. After all, pulling this off took quite a few resources (whatever these are).

Criminal or not: Big fish ain't stupid.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 12:47:08 PM

It's seems to me like a case of counterfeiting (even if it's not, actually). The point being that someone is already "printing" a large part of the monetary supply at almost no cost for him compared to legit miners.

"No Cost"?!? I think you're underestimating the cost of coding, acquiring, maintaining and "using up" a botnet.

Botnets don't grow on trees.

spiccioli
Legendary

nec sine labore

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 12:47:24 PM

spiccioli

I don't think so. And anyway: from a bitcoin perspective there are no "laws" against using a botnet to mine, are there? Neither are there any "laws" against tx-free blocks. The "laws" of bitcoin (bitcoin in terms of the blockchain) are the rules governing the blockchain implemented in the majority of the mining nodes.

If anyone wants to go after the botnet operator/owner through legal system, they are free to do so, but don't count on mtgox disclosing info without a court requiring them to do so.

molecular,

I know he is not "breaking" bitcoin laws, but Eligius destroyed an alt chain just mining empty blocks.

If MM keeps growing and he is not cashing coins than he is here to destroy bitcoin (I don't think he is hoarding for his retirement).

If he is cashing then, maybe, he will stop growing at a certain point.

I think MtGox, without telling us who he is, could at least tell us if those coins are cashed out or not.

spiccioli.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 12:49:22 PM

Mt Gox shouldn't tell anyone anything about any account without a court order.   I mean come on people see the forrest from the trees.  Would you be happy if your local bank shared information on your transactions because some people online wanted to know some answers?

Really?  Anyone think Mt.Gox becoming the Police and/or sharing financial info with people on a forum is a GOOD THING for Bitcoin?  Really?

Mt.Gox has to comply with the law and that requires anti-money laundering and KYC laws but there is nothing that requires them to provide transaction transparency to anyone.  Any info Mt.Gox has on customers isn't THEIRS TO SHARE.  Period. If you want info from Mt. Gox then get a fracking court order.  
pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 12:49:50 PM

On the bitcoin.org site:
Bitcoin uses peer-to-peer technology to operate with no central authority
To me it sounds a little bit strange to ask anyone to play authority.
bitclown

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 12:50:33 PM

Either we ask mtgox or we try to find out on our own we are already acting like police officers.
The Magical Mystery Miner have done a lot of work to stay anonymous. Why would he suddenly give his credentials to the biggest entity in the bitcoinsphere? All the Magical Mystery Miner blocks I've seen so far have unspent generation transactions anyway.

Someone yesterday port-scanned the IP, now what are we going to do?

Do we try to break in into one of the nodes?

Send abuse emails?
Calm down. These are just regular Bitcoin users relaying blocks and transactions like they're supposed to do. It could be my node, or it could be yours. We already know that DeepBit and Eligius have relayed the Magical Mystery Miner's blocks to BlockChain.info.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 12:52:03 PM

spiccioli

molecular,

I know he is not "breaking" bitcoin laws, but Eligius destroyed an alt chain just mining empty blocks.

If MM keeps growing and he is not cashing coins than he is here to destroy bitcoin (I don't think he is hoarding for his retirement).

I think MtGox, without telling us who he is, could at least tell us if those coins are cashed out or not.

spiccioli.

If this attack works (in the sense that it really is one and we fail to stop it) I want it to work now, not in 5 years when the harm is probably much more substantial (I mean harm to society, not harm to bitcoin itself)

We better make bitcoin as solid as possible before we really depend on it. People like Luke-Jr and ArtForz attacking alt-chains is part of this hardening-process.

jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 12:54:08 PM

* gigavps thinks he got everyone fired up this morning.  Wink
spiccioli
Legendary

nec sine labore

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 12:56:42 PM

spiccioli

molecular,

spiccioli.

If this attack works (in the sense that it really is one and we fail to stop it) I want it to work now, not in 5 years when the harm is probably much more substantial (I mean harm to society, not harm to bitcoin itself)

We better make bitcoin as solid as possible before we really depend on it. People like Luke-Jr and ArtForz attacking alt-chains is part of this hardening-process.

Ok molecular,

I agree with you here, so we can ask MtGox: are those blocks being cashed out or not?

Without asking for name, surname, address and so on.

spiccioli
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 12:57:38 PM

I agree with you here, so we can ask MtGox: are those blocks being cashed out or not?

Without asking for name, surname, address and so on.

What makes you think you have the right to ANY transaction information on any customer?
cablepair

Activity: 896

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 12:58:31 PM

this is being watched closely and there are currently being ideas discussed to force/entice rogue miners like this to include transactions into their blocks

I would not hang yourself with an ethernet cable just yet. From what I understand this problem will be addressed.

so in other words. CHILL. Wink

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: