Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:39:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wonder who this solominer is? 88.6.216.9  (Read 60437 times)
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 03:47:22 PM

Yes I think most miners would still have a problem with it. Some of us have more money then other to invest in BTC but we are all on a level playing field. Would you still by a farm of GPU for mining when only 1 person has access to ASIC now and you never will?

Where do you get the idea you have a right to a level playing field?  Is it fair some people have $0.04 per kWh electrical rates and some have $0.30 per kWh.  If it fair some people need to build their farm one GPU at a time and other can drop $15K on a rigbox or LargeCoin?

Miners compete you have no right to any "fairness".  Adapt, overcome, and expand or die.  No different than any other private enterprise.

May sound harsh, but life really is unfair sometimes. There's always gonna be someone out there with more resources than you. If you can't compete, then he has done his job well.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
3phase

Activity: 313
Merit: 251

Third score

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 04:34:31 PM

Yes I think most miners would still have a problem with it. Some of us have more money then other to invest in BTC but we are all on a level playing field. Would you still by a farm of GPU for mining when only 1 person has access to ASIC now and you never will?

Well, all miners have already made a risky investment. The possibility that someone would come up with a massive ASIC farm before they manage to break even was there from the beginning. The possibility of a botnetfest was also there. Miners should have been aware of it when they were making their investment decision.

Those who did not consider these and other possibilities (such as BTCUSD drop in price or difficulty increase) are obviously having a nasty surprise, and they probably will have more in the future.

As D&T and BadBear said, this is not personal, this is business.

Fiat no more.
Δoκιμάστε τo http://multibit.org - Bitcoin client τώρα και στα Eλληνικά
pcexpress4less

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 04:50:52 PM

I'm in the USA and believe me I know how unfair life is to allot of people in different countries.I agree that there will always be people with better resources but this is not about the price of electric and I have no reason to catch a Federal case by running a botnet. I don't need to compete with him I just need to know that my financial and ethical decision are good. The money from minig is really just a bonus to me. I don't truly need it.I'm really here to just support the idea of BTC. I could care less about the blank blocks, transaction fess, or any other things he's doing. I just don't like the idea of BTC being tied to a giant botnet. Publicity like that will only make BTC look bad and I don't think anyone here would want that either. I'm late to the game already. The start up of BTC made early users a very health profit yet I entered in December 2011 with no complaints of unfairness and not looking to make a profit.It's one thing to be at a disadvantage it's entirely different to be partnered with someone doing criminal activates.That is the same reason I won't lease out my hashing power for 110% or 120%. I don't know what its being used for so 200% would not convince me either. Yes this is business for some but it is personal for me and right now I'm helping give him a reason to steal from other.I guess it just boils down to ethics for me as I see us as one big family.I guess every family has a black sheep huh. Damn I wish he was close so I could pound the shit out of him for all the Innocent moms and grandmas footing his bill.
wogaut
Donator

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 04:52:37 PM

As D&T and BadBear said, this is not personal, this is business.

Not if it's a botnet, I take that quite personal.

If criminals got >51%, then we have to answer to them in our bitcoin enterprise.
And even if someone added a proof-of-stake (so hard for me not to write steak, hmmmm steak) algorithm, this would just slow them down but not eliminate the problem.

Then you can run your BIPs past your new bosses, and I do mind if they are criminals. That's way different from having them just make some money on honest miners' backs.

Yes, we don't know for sure yet if that's indeed a botnet, so we can't sentence the mystery miner yet, but otoh using that argument to disregard this possibility and not discuss possible courses of action would also be wrong.  

Maybe business, but this thread raises questions that are not business as usual.

silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 04:53:32 PM

..Damn I wish he was close so I could pound the shit out of him..

GROSS, pervert!! Wink
pcexpress4less

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 05:02:43 PM

..Damn I wish he was close so I could pound the shit out of him..

GROSS, pervert!! Wink

Well it takes a pussy to fuck over mom and grandma so I'd say he/she deserves to get pounded. Don't think he/she would enjoy it though. Grin
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 05:11:48 PM

Because this iz the Internetz!!!!!     Grin

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 05:15:59 PM

What kind of arms are we talkin bout??

pcexpress4less

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 05:18:06 PM

Has there been any proof at all that this is a botnet? Why are people getting so "up in arms" without solid proof?

No I don't think there is any proof yet but it's hard to imagine any other way to have so much hashing power. Yes most are jumping the gun myself included. It's better to be aware and wrong then be blind sided. If we are wrong well I'll be the first to apologize to the unknown miner. Until then we need to work together to make sure BTC is always shown in good light with good company.
3phase

Activity: 313
Merit: 251

Third score

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 05:29:54 PM

Has there been any proof at all that this is a botnet? Why are people getting so "up in arms" without solid proof?

Not really.

It could be that the CIO of HP (or IBM or Dell) found out about BTC and pushed a "management software" update to all the company's managed hosts, and all the customer managed hosts. The low profile required for such software would explain the lack of transaction processing.

It could be a drug cartel (some of these guys have more money than governments do) that wants to setup a competing site to crush the Silk Road and would definitely want to be able to manipulate BTC price. So they hire a few geeks, get them to sign a nice NDA punished by death, setup a huge distributed mining farm, and obviously don't give a shit about transaction processing. ArtForz comes to mind, he hasn't been around for a month and a half.  Wink

If you haven't put your tinfoil hat on, please put it on now:

It might as well be a government, the IMF, the IIF or whatever else would justify a tinfoil hat.

Fiat no more.
Δoκιμάστε τo http://multibit.org - Bitcoin client τώρα και στα Eλληνικά
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 06:17:00 PM

I doubt it's a botnet. To amass such hashing power with random computers you'd need the biggest botnet ever known.

It's probably someone with legit access to these machines and therefore doing nothing wrong at all.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
coretechs
Donator

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 07:17:58 PM

If it's a botnet, perhaps it could be using an unknown SETI@Home/BOINC exploit or trojan?

https://bitcoindoc.com - The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin | https://blocktap.io - Lightning powered crypto query engine
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 07:18:53 PM

Reminds me of our initial MM last year...

I think slush spoke to him IIRC...

conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 07:30:49 PM

I doubt it's a botnet. To amass such hashing power with random computers you'd need the biggest botnet ever known.

It could have easily targeted the gamers sharing some pirated games infested with trojans and whatever so to gain just the best hw.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 08:01:58 PM

As I have posted before, unfortunatly that is not true.  I wish it was.  Botnets have reached over a million computers.  Secondly, why must they be random?  Botnet owners do inventory their systems, and can sell off (or rent) groups of computers.  This is a selected group.

It's probably someone with legit access to these machines and therefore doing nothing wrong at all.

That is much less likely.  Not unless large organizations are equipping fleets of machines with high end ATI video cards.  

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 08:03:28 PM

If it's a botnet, perhaps it could be using an unknown SETI@Home/BOINC exploit or trojan?
Very clever. 

cablepair

Activity: 896

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 08:47:13 PM

weather its a botnet or not it really does not matter

the big problem here (for Bitcoin) is the fact that they are not accepting any transactions in their blocks. It does not really matter if its a zombie botnet or a group of former KGB members with a ASIC farm humming in the basement of the Kremlin.

We need to put pressure on these folks any way we can, at least until the Bitcoin developers come up with a either a way to enforce transactions (not sure if this is even possible) or come up with some way to get rogue miners like this to want to accept them. Its obvious they care nothing about the Bitcoin network but they certainly care about making money and thats where we need to hit them.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 08:48:40 PM

Very clever. 

maybe someone @AMD managed to sneak in some clever firmware that can talk to an ethernet controller Wink

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 08:54:41 PM

the big problem here (for Bitcoin) is the fact that they are not accepting any transactions in their blocks.

Even if this botnet would achieve 50% of the hashrate, not including transactions will only slow down transactions by 50%, so 10 extra minutes for single confirmations. Not a huge problem when compared to that other potential of a 50% botnet.

I will say, it does suck that honest miners have to compete with stolen computing resources, but thats life. I just hope it wont drive up difficulty to the point were honest miners are driven out of the market. That could be a real problem for bitcoin. At least we would need some competition between botnets to keep them "honest" lol.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 08:58:26 PM
Last edit: March 20, 2012, 09:11:21 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Also since most transaction require 6 confirms even with 15% of blocks having no txs the average 6 confirm time only grows to 63 minutes vs 60 minutes.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: