Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:58:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wonder who this solominer is? 88.6.216.9  (Read 60437 times)
DeepBit
Donator

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2012, 08:15:58 AM

I understand the "orphan attack on a node", but please explain why "sometimes bitcoin just have to create 1tx blocks even when there are lots of TXes" ? Right after startup?
Right after receiving a new block.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Coming soon: ICBIT Trading platform

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2012, 11:10:54 AM

I understand the "orphan attack on a node", but please explain why "sometimes bitcoin just have to create 1tx blocks even when there are lots of TXes" ? Right after startup?
Right after receiving a new block.

i always wondered why that happened, thanks for explaining.

I pondered a few days over the MM issue and came with the conclusion that we will have to make bitcoin client "smarter", like the people that use it, to avoid issues like this. The easier way to try solving empty blocks issue would be:

- track source ip of incoming txs in memory
- client wouldn't accept only blocks from other peers, while working normally (not downloading blockchain), should have at least a few txs from that peer in memory
- blocks should contain at least one incoming transaction from that peer

Empty blocks are like blank pages in a book but they come with a prize for the miner even when not writing anything on it. I know sometimes even big pools can come up with a <1 sec empty block (freebie) so it will be the miners election if they want a better network quality (no empty blocks) or situations like this in the future.

TL;DR Miners will have to decide over the MM issue with their hashing power.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
DeepBit
Donator

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2012, 11:31:08 AM

TL;DR Miners will have to decide over the MM issue with their hashing power.
There are no issues with empty blocks.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 11:42:59 AM

Just lock this nonsense thread. Please.

As a bitcoin user I'm not being harmed in any way whatsoever.

And I say that greedy miners can go fuck themselves.
All others who think this is bad for Bitcoin for so and so reasons: You have no proof whatsoever. IRC bragging won't hold up in any court anywhere. Just quit it. It's for the best.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2012, 12:38:29 PM

Just lock this nonsense thread. Please.
No.  Smiley

As a bitcoin user I'm not being harmed in any way whatsoever.
That is untrue.  Transactions are being delayed.   The questing is if the harm is significant enough to warrant doing anything.  Currently I say no.  But interested parties should monitor the situation.

And I say that greedy miners can go fuck themselves.
All others who think this is bad for Bitcoin for so and so reasons: You have no proof whatsoever. IRC bragging won't hold up in any court anywhere. Just quit it. It's for the best.

This is not a court case, it is a discussion.   I personally do not recommend doing anything other then watching and discussing possible protocol changes that would encourage better miner behavior. 

It is also reasonable to look for possible botnet behavior.  It is unreasonable to file abuse reports at this time as no direct evidence has been found as of now.   

jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 12:51:05 PM

Speaking of evidence, it would seem that luke-jr has made some changes to bitcoind that allowed him to log the actual ip addresses that are pushing out these blocks.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=70580.msg812474#msg812474

While most of us in the thread may be greedy miners, we are the only way transaction happen within the network. So unless everyone is ready for bitcoin to fail, might as well let us greedy miners have our fun.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 12:57:36 PM

Transactions are being delayed? Haven't noticed... And I have couple thousand transactions on the last 2 months only, sent and received.

There is no need for a protocol change. At least on Bitcoin. If you want control start using Solidcoin. Bitcoin is not for you.
6 months ago I would probably agree with you, but not now. I'm learning to appreciate the decentralized, no control nature of Bitcoin.
A sage Portuguese poet said about Coca-Cola in 1927: Primeiro estranha-se, depois entranha-se.
Translation: At first it's unfamiliar, then it strikes root. And interestingly enough, the slogan he made for Coca-Cola was refused, not by Coca-Cola itself, but by the fascist regime that ruled Portugal back then.
I feel the same way about Bitcoin Wink
DeepBit
Donator

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2012, 01:11:22 PM

That is untrue.  Transactions are being delayed.
Were your TXes guaranteed to be confirmed in some specific timeframe ?

PulsedMedia

Activity: 402
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2012, 01:18:00 PM

Bitcoin as it currently is, is nearing perfection of what is achievable in real world right now.
Any action against MM (if there is such) will make it worse. Like sticking training wheels on a GSXR.

But you can do something about MM ... Increase your hashing power and earn more! Grin

http://PulsedMedia.com - Semidedicated rTorrent seedboxes
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 01:30:01 PM

Bitcoin as it currently is, is nearing perfection of what is achievable in real world right now.
Any action against MM (if there is such) will make it worse. Like sticking training wheels on a GSXR.

But you can do something about MM ... Increase your hashing power and earn more! Grin

This^^ 1000x this^^

But I changed my opinion. Let this thread be. This way we learn who are the persons who use Bitcoin for it's properties and the one's that just want to make a quick buck and who'll turn their back and go away the moment it stops being profitable for them.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 01:32:15 PM

But I changed my opinion. Let this thread be.

Oh good, if you command so then we can carry on.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 01:43:01 PM

Whew. I was getting worried there.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 01:50:25 PM

With what? Worried that someone you don't know kicks your ass on hashing power and money earned?
I would say you still are Cheesy
Envy is such an ugly emotion, ain't it?
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 01:55:52 PM

Maybe he was just trying to make a quick buck:
Want me to just STFU? 1PKyq6aMKcCwn8cmb9Jc5SkNydLsQb5n7K

If the botnets pwn the network, you will have this:
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 02:05:40 PM

Maybe he was just trying to make a quick buck:
Want me to just STFU? 1PKyq6aMKcCwn8cmb9Jc5SkNydLsQb5n7K

If the botnets pwn the network, you will have this:

Do you KNOW and have any kind of PROOF it is a botnet?

About my sig... No need to pay...
<--- Press Ignore!
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 02:06:59 PM

With what? Worried that someone you don't know kicks your ass on hashing power and money earned?
I would say you still are Cheesy
Envy is such an ugly emotion, ain't it?

PSY, if you have no interest in mining then go away. I make plenty of money with mining and bitcoin in general.

Somehow you suddenly decided to allow us to continue discussing a topic that you have no control over. This is what I was commenting on.
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2012, 02:13:37 PM

We better make bitcoin as solid as possible before we really depend on it. People like Luke-Jr and ArtForz attacking alt-chains is part of this hardening-process.
I'm interested in knowing the details of what happened with the attacking of alt-chains by Luke-jr and ArtForz, can you please point me to the right threads, if this is has been already discussed elsewhere?

Thanks very much

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 02:28:49 PM

And you are discussing a topic YOU also have no control over. You wished you had, but you don't. And when I say you I'm not saying you, gigavps, I mean all of you.
How dares he, to mine a pseudo-anonymous currency while wishing to remain anonymous...  Roll Eyes

I'll risk to say that those 30(?) BFL singles you are expecting are the best way you have to fight it.

And it's not PSY, it's psy. Wink
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 03:32:31 PM

The point is not that he is mining anonymously, but that he is almost certainly stealing computing resources on a massive scale, and doing bitcoin a disfavor in more than one way. But maybe thieves have the right to remain anonymous in your world, and perhaps you dont care if botnets take control over bitcoin.

Besides, thief or not, if someone doesnt want his IP being tracked or published on sites like blockchain, all he has to do is stop mining blocks.  I dont see the difference between tracking deepbit blocks and MM's blocks.

Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 03:34:47 PM

weather its a botnet or not it really does not matter

the big problem here (for Bitcoin) is the fact that they are not accepting any transactions in their blocks. It does not really matter if its a zombie botnet or a group of former KGB members with a ASIC farm humming in the basement of the Kremlin.

We need to put pressure on these folks any way we can, at least until the Bitcoin developers come up with a either a way to enforce transactions (not sure if this is even possible) or come up with some way to get rogue miners like this to want to accept them. Its obvious they care nothing about the Bitcoin network but they certainly care about making money and thats where we need to hit them.

To me this is really simple. Make it worth while for miners to accept your transactions. If you pay a higher transaction fee more mining power will play nice and compete to pull in your transaction.

Have a look at the last 10 blocks. None of them have total fee that gets close to 0.1 BTC. Compare that to the 50 BTC block reward.

If I for some reason had access to a huge set of idle computers and wanted them to mine for me I'd have to develop/maintain/update software that effectively turns it into a distributed system. My software would be easier to develop/manage (and more stealthy) if I didn't have to push pending transactions around. With the current fees it is simply not worth the extra hassle.

In other words: If I had 10% of the total mining power, what would be my incentive to pull transactions into my block? Nothing. Don't give me that "I'll do it for the greater good" crap, this is not how the world works. The other 90% make sure that my coins can be spent and keep their value.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: