Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:11:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First power bill for my 6 GH/s rig  (Read 10088 times)
JayCoin (OP)

Activity: 409
Merit: 251

Crypt'n Since 2011

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 03:47:36 AM

$300 extra on my power bill and $600 worth of bitcoins mined. Time to quit my day job.

Hello There!
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
trouserless

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 03:58:30 AM

$300 extra on my power bill and $600 worth of bitcoins mined. Time to quit my day job.

What do you pay for power? What is your card/rig setup?
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 05:19:57 AM

What is you day job ?

What car do you drive ?
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 05:21:49 AM

$300 a month. Wheee. I'll keep my day job, thanks Cool

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 11:57:24 PM

Clearly your day job is not in finance... else you'd see that OP is making a 100% operating profit and it's just a matter of scale before quitting a day job would be a reality. Smiley
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 02:06:16 AM

Clearly your day job is not in finance... else you'd see that OP is making a 100% operating profit and it's just a matter of scale before quitting a day job would be a reality. Smiley
GPUs don't scale linearly unless you live somewhere where it is cold year round for free cooling, and you have a lot of space.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 03:39:17 AM

GPUs don't scale linearly unless you live somewhere where it is cold year round for free cooling, and you have a lot of space.

True. 

One rig = 100% profit.

Ten and you need to pay for cooling, and maybe space as well. You will see failures.  Sure, there are some people who have a place to put in 10 GPU's and not pay for cooling.... but most can not. 

Beaflag VonRathburg

Activity: 472

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 04:24:19 AM

I'd also be interested to know what your rigs contain and how much you pay for power. I'm waiting for my first bill to come in as well.

Global BTC

Activity: 529
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2012, 04:54:07 PM

What was your initial investment?

Tullphan

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 09:34:47 PM

I would also like to know what you pay for power.
pla

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 11:38:59 PM

Sure they do - Just vent them outside.  One 20" box window fan will move the heat of a LOT of GPUs outside (unless you live somewhere with an outside temperature already over 110F).

DAMN but I wish I lived somewhere other than one of the highest $-per-KW states right about now.

I don't beg - If I do something to deserve your BTC, you can find my address on the invoice.  Wink
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 01:37:18 AM

Sure they do - Just vent them outside.  One 20" box window fan will move the heat of a LOT of GPUs outside (unless you live somewhere with an outside temperature already over 110F).

DAMN but I wish I lived somewhere other than one of the highest $-per-KW states right about now.
Where does the incoming air come from? From your air conditioner, right? Or, if no A/C, then it comes from the outside - which could easily be 90-110 degrees Fahrenheit. QED.

phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 01:46:05 AM

Where does the incoming air come from? From your air conditioner, right? Or, if no A/C, then it comes from the outside - which could easily be 90-110 degrees Fahrenheit. QED.
I was about to post the same thing, lol.  I don't care how much air you can exhaust out your window from your mining room, it comes *IN* from somewhere.  And in most locations the ambient air temp outside is going to get hot enough to kill the whole idea of just using a fan.
sveetsnelda

Activity: 642

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 04:19:35 AM

I was about to post the same thing, lol.  I don't care how much air you can exhaust out your window from your mining room, it comes *IN* from somewhere.  And in most locations the ambient air temp outside is going to get hot enough to kill the whole idea of just using a fan.

Exactly.  This is why internal combustion engines in our cars stop working in the summer time.   ...no wait...   Grin

You guys realize that 110 degrees Fahrenheit is "only" 43 Celsius, right?  That's still over 30 degrees lower than the temperature my GPUs run at.  With enough airflow, the heat will certainly still be removed so long as the heat isn't recirculated through the cards.

14u2rp4AqFtN5jkwK944nn741FnfF714m7
phorensic

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 05:49:51 AM

I'm glad you don't design data centers for a living.  You would kill a lot of hardware with your lack of knowledge.
pla

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 10:21:12 AM

Where does it come from?  No, not your air conditioner - You open... wait for it... Another window.
Hot enough to kill the whole idea?  Seriously?  Do you folks live in Death Valley?

I'm glad you don't design data centers for a living.  You would kill a lot of hardware with your lack of knowledge.

I don't design datacenters for a living, but Microsoft has a few guys you might need to set straight:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/the_power_of_software/archive/2008/09/19/intense-computing-or-in-tents-computing.aspx
Let me know how they respond to your concerns.   Grin

I don't beg - If I do something to deserve your BTC, you can find my address on the invoice.  Wink
phorensic

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 11:06:20 AM

That article was more theory than proven practice.  They only had 5 servers...in a tent, using way less power than something loaded with GPU's.  Lets try to scale that up and see what happens.

There are *very* few places on earth where you can get away with cooling a dense DC with just ambient outside air.  Trust me, Google and Facebook have looked very hard and written great articles about it.  In the end they are forced to put DC's in places where the local temps get too hot, within the course of a year, to work with just outside air.  We aren't talking about running a bunch of mining rigs just in the dead of winter.  And when I say too hot it's not like I'm talking 135F.  They end up using some form of energy input into the system to get the temps down.  You would be surprised what Facebook can do by misting water into their fresh/recirc air.  But that still takes power to pump!  Not to mention the cost of the water!

And yes, it just so happens that I have had to design data centers in my career.  Including power and cooling for them!
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 01:23:11 PM

The key to the problem is the temperature delta. Sure ambient might "only" be 43 degrees C, but is that low enough to keep the server within tolerance after adding all the heat from the CPUs, RAM, SCSI cards, etc? Usually not.

sveetsnelda

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 01:37:53 PM

Oh yes.  Complete lack of knowledge.   Roll Eyes  I've made national news for my "lack of knowledge" regarding hardware.  If you took thermodynamics or fluid dynamics classes, you obviously flunked.

Funny you should mention it...  I actually do.  Smiley  I work for a fairly large enterprise.  Commercial data centers generally have other restrictions imposed on them or have other design concerns to work around.  I certainly have a bit more freedom with my home rigs.

My 45 Ghash of equipment is currently putting out about 21.5KW of heat and they are crammed together in a more heat dense fashion than most data centers would ever allow (Amazon's EC2 possibly being an exception).  I'm currently cooling everything with a standalone small household fan for each rig and 2 window fans.  It gets into the high 90's and occasionally the low 100's here in the summer (desert climate).  I used a small evap cooler last year during the summer because my current layout ends up recirculating a little of the air from one rig to the next.  With the right building design and powerful fans, I wouldn't need an evap cooler at all.  The fans on my reference cards are never running above 60 percent (right now, most of them are in the low 30's because the inlet air temp is still so cool).

In two weeks, I'll be migrating all of my rigs to a dedicated building in the back yard.  In the summer, I won't need evap cooling if I want to run the fans a little high because I'll be exhausting ALL of the hot air and routing it properly.  Can't wait to "kill a lot of hardware"!

sveetsnelda

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 01:39:37 PM

The key to the problem is the temperature delta. Sure ambient might "only" be 43 degrees C, but is that low enough to keep the server within tolerance after adding all the heat from the CPUs, RAM, SCSI cards, etc? Usually not.
Of course it is.  ...just not when you cram everything into a 1U case and flow hot air from one component to the next.  Again, if this statement were true, we'd all have to shut down our cars in the summer.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: