Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:38:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could I drive up the Bitcoin price with a clearing purchase?  (Read 4960 times)
Omni (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 11:13:15 AM

Hi guys,
  I currently am sitting on 175 shares of AAPL stock. For those of you who are aware, Apple shares are trading at rough $550,00 USD. I am planning to liquidate my holding and am thinking of reinvesting in Bitcoin.

Would a purchase of $85,000 of BTC drive up the price significantly?

This is not a troll post, I am genuinely interested.

Thanks for your time,
Omni

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
friedcat
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 848
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 11:16:42 AM

If you leverage your $85k up using the 10:1 choice at Bitcoinica, you might be able to drive the price up a little bit.
But I wonder if Bitcoinica has so many dollars to lend to you though.

Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 11:17:03 AM

Not if you buy over time.

If you buy them all at once, there would be a price hike and then it would stabilize again, and you would lose money, so buy over time.

MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2012, 01:51:24 PM

In the current market, it likely wouldn't move the price more than $0.10

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 01:57:46 PM

In the current market, it likely wouldn't move the price more than $0.10

Well, an immediate buy of ~$85,000 right now -- the price is at $4.80 as I type this -- would take the price to $5.00.  It's unlikely it'd stay there.  There's a chance it could kick off a round of buying and break the correction we're in right now -- there's a lot of money sitting on the sidelines right now waiting for something to happen (I've got a decent chunk of change waiting for the right time).  Of course, there's a good chance the price would quickly come back down.

To answer the question directly, no, an $85,000 buy wouldn't drive the price up significantly.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Koekiemonster

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Bitbuy.nl!

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 02:01:22 PM

Omni, you can check http://mtgoxlive.com/orders to see the real-time market depth.

If you would place a market order with your 85k$ right now, you would drive the price up to about 5.02 since this would be the last transaction. After your order anything can happen, since there's a large spread and the market will then decide what happens next.

https://www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Bitcointalk topic over Bitbuy!
stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 02:02:47 PM

Hi guys,
  I currently am sitting on 175 shares of AAPL stock. For those of you who are aware, Apple shares are trading at rough $550,00 USD. I am planning to liquidate my holding and am thinking of reinvesting in Bitcoin.

Thanks for your time,
Omni

Go for it.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 02:13:25 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for your time,
Omni

Just curious, at what price did you get into AAPL?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 02:17:47 PM

Omni, you can check http://mtgoxlive.com/orders to see the real-time market depth.

If you would place a market order with your 85k$ right now, you would drive the price up to about 5.02 since this would be the last transaction. After your order anything can happen, since there's a large spread and the market will then decide what happens next.

the price will go up.  the question is just how much and you can't just expect it to be related to whats on the order book right now.  but as Proudhon said, theres alot of money on the sideline that is waiting for something to happen.  as someone who has put in alot of money to Bitcoin i can tell you you can affect the market. 

$85K is a significant chunk of change and the bots can sense buying pressure and will react accordingly to buy the momentum or cover shorts.  you could hurt alot of shorts.  i have. Grin

btw, i put on a short of AAPL this past week.  its at the end of a parabola and now with Jobs gone i can't see a path anywhere but down for the stock.
Omni (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 02:24:26 PM

the price will go up.  the question is just how much and you can't just expect it to be related to whats on the order book right now.  but as Proudhon said, theres alot of money on the sideline that is waiting for something to happen.  as someone who has put in alot of money to Bitcoin i can tell you you can affect the market.  

$85K is a significant chunk of change and the bots can sense buying pressure and will react accordingly to buy the momentum or cover shorts.  you could hurt alot of shorts.  i have. Grin

btw, i put on a short of AAPL this past week.  its at the end of a parabola and now with Jobs gone i can't see a path anywhere but down for the stock.

Nice to see that someone has done what I plan to do already. How much were you able to raise the price?

I purchased 75 shares on Feb 3, 2011 at $328.00 and 100 more shares on Feb 11, 2011 at $340.00.

As such, I've realized almost a 60% gain.

Thank you! I added this to my favourites.

Well, an immediate buy of ~$85,000 right now -- the price is at $4.80 as I type this -- would take the price to $5.00.  It's unlikely it'd stay there.  There's a chance it could kick off a round of buying and break the correction we're in right now -- there's a lot of money sitting on the sidelines right now waiting for something to happen (I've got a decent chunk of change waiting for the right time).  Of course, there's a good chance the price would quickly come back down.

To answer the question directly, no, an $85,000 buy wouldn't drive the price up significantly.

I suppose I could leverage my position.

If you leverage your $85k up using the 10:1 choice at Bitcoinica, you might be able to drive the price up a little bit.

I will speak to the owner and see what arrangement we can come up with.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 02:28:50 PM

http://bitcoin.clarkmoody.com/

This site has calculators to show how much BTC you can buy for you USD.

Enjoy.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 02:29:47 PM

Why would you want to put up the price on yourself by announcing it in public?

I sense bullshit. This is kind of like the people announcing to sell 50k BTC.

Are we really that kind of penny stock-ish? Sad
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 02:33:17 PM

the price will go up.  the question is just how much and you can't just expect it to be related to whats on the order book right now.  but as Proudhon said, theres alot of money on the sideline that is waiting for something to happen.  as someone who has put in alot of money to Bitcoin i can tell you you can affect the market.  

$85K is a significant chunk of change and the bots can sense buying pressure and will react accordingly to buy the momentum or cover shorts.  you could hurt alot of shorts.  i have. Grin

btw, i put on a short of AAPL this past week.  its at the end of a parabola and now with Jobs gone i can't see a path anywhere but down for the stock.

Nice to see that someone has done what I plan to do already. How much were you able to raise the price?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55970.msg667447#msg667447

its all about timing.  personally, i think $4 is the new $2.

I purchased 75 shares on Feb 3, 2011 at $328.00 and 100 more shares on Feb 11, 2011 at $340.00.

As such, I've realized almost a 60% gain.

Thank you! I added this to my favourites.

I suppose I could leverage my position.

i haven't studied Bitcoinica's recent changes to his model but i would stay away from it.  
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 02:33:34 PM

You can't leverage that much money at bitcoinica at 10:1, and I wouldn't want to either.  You could easily get utterly destroyed with how much this market moves around.  Here are the leverage options from bitcoinica.

proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 02:37:04 PM

Yeah, it does seem fishy, but whatever.  Omni, if you're serious, for the love of all thats good and holy, please use strong passwords and multifactor authentication for any exchanges you use (MtGox, bitcoinica, etc).  Get a yubikey for MtGox, don't click on links in emails that appear to be from MtGox, and research how to make your own secure bitcoin wallet if you want to store bitcoins yourself.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 03:05:28 PM

Yeah, it does seem fishy, but whatever.  Omni, if you're serious, for the love of all thats good and holy, please use strong passwords and multifactor authentication for any exchanges you use (MtGox, bitcoinica, etc).  Get a yubikey for MtGox, don't click on links in emails that appear to be from MtGox, and research how to make your own secure bitcoin wallet if you want to store bitcoins yourself.

wise words.  i've learned to love you, Proudhon.

add this; i would create an air gapped wallet for cold storage.
N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 03:11:41 PM

Personally what what I never liked about this option is that I might get to learn about some impending catastrophe and wish to sell immediately, not after 6 blocks. I want my Bitcoins liquid.

I trust Gox pretty much now, so I don’t mind using them as a "bank".
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 03:14:47 PM

Personally what what I never liked about this option is that I might get to learn about some impending catastrophe and wish to sell immediately, not after 6 blocks. I want my Bitcoins liquid.

I try to keep about 25% of all my BTC in Gox
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 03:21:22 PM

the most likely catastrophe is an attack on mtgox by either hackers or the gov't.
N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 03:24:56 PM

the most likely catastrophe is an attack on mtgox by either hackers or the gov't.
Which would kill the price anyway.

Also I doubt they will be hacked into again. But the US government attack remains, true.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: