Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:56:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BFL Jalapeno] head banging  (Read 2194 times)
thehairymob (OP)

Activity: 152
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 05:19:13 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2014, 02:46:28 PM by malevolent

Need help with my jally. Yeah I know BFL. Anyways I got it ages ago but it wouldn't work and I couldn't justify spending more money sending it back to the US. Well I have managed to flash the unit using a Pi. Unfortunately BFG miner goes into a loop over comports. While CG refuses to recognise it even after using zadig. Easyminer does see the unit and I do get further using the BFG kernel. It feels as if am at the final hurdle and am now stumped as to what I have to do to get the jally running. I know I won't earn much but would still love to get it running.
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 05:25:07 PM

If cgminer can't see it, it usually means you're plugging it into an unsupported usb3 slot. See if you have any usb2 slots.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
thehairymob (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 05:32:29 PM

I did try that with the BFG but will need to retry using CG, thanks Smiley
fresca

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:12:22 PM

Need help with my jally.

Deck the halls with it.  It's Christmastime somewhere.  Don't forget the boughs.
TheJuice

Activity: 840
Merit: 608

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:48:27 PM

1st gen BFL hardware is negative expected value with electricity costs. Ditch it.
thehairymob (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 11:36:56 PM

I just want to mine for the fun of it. In the past with GPU mining I got some cool stuff for the house with what I made. I don't ever expect to make back the investment in time and coin if I get up and running but I have to try to get it running. I think I prefer pool to solo mining more likely to get something even if it is only a few satoshi's, hehehe. Cheesy
cathoderay

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

Welcome to dogietalk.bs

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 12:51:54 AM

As the title says.......

BFL.

Have you been a victim of dogie insults, neg-rep'd for no reason or been falsely accused by him? If so, air your experiences here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.0
Avoid manipulative Exchanges - Localbitcoins.com
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:17:10 AM
Last edit: July 09, 2014, 03:44:50 AM by xstr8guy

I just want to mine for the fun of it. In the past with GPU mining I got some cool stuff for the house with what I made. I don't ever expect to make back the investment in time and coin if I get up and running but I have to try to get it running. I think I prefer pool to solo mining more likely to get something even if it is only a few satoshi's, hehehe. Cheesy

The point others are making is... you are not only NOT going to make money with it but you will lose money because old BFL gear now uses much more electricity than it can possibly generate in BTC. I have 3 Singles in my garage that have done nothing except collect dust for the past few months.

Your only hope is to mine some wacky alt SHA coins and speculate on them.
firejuan

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

Because it's sterile...

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 03:26:34 AM

If cgminer can't see it, it usually means you're plugging it into an unsupported usb3 slot. See if you have any usb2 slots.

What other forum can you get direct software support from the developer? Awesome.

Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:00:15 PM

1st gen BFL hardware is negative expected value with electricity costs. Ditch it.

However, these Jalapenos are suitable for mine  MediterraneanCoin. I have a lot of them. Today, I have mined over more than 1.5 million coin.  Still in profit.
thehairymob (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 01:33:11 PM

USB 2 doesn't seem to be working on my system so sadly I can't try that one. This is from the logs when I start Easy Miner:

Starting miner...
46] USB all: found 8 devices - listing known devices
.USB dev 0: Bus 4 Device 1 ID: 0403:6014
 ** dev 0: Failed to open, err -12
[2014-7-10 14:24:32] 1 known USB devices

Anyone know what error 12 is? Or have you any help to offer? Smiley
thehairymob (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 01:45:52 PM

Update got USB 2 up and running (internal cable had come loose) but still above message in the logs.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 06:52:22 PM

Starting miner...
46] USB all: found 8 devices - listing known devices
.USB dev 0: Bus 4 Device 1 ID: 0403:6014
 ** dev 0: Failed to open, err -12
[2014-7-10 14:24:32] 1 known USB devices

Anyone know what error 12 is? Or have you any help to offer? Smiley
That usually means you have not actually successfully installed the WinUSB driver. Read the ASIC-README.txt file included with cgminer from where it says "GETTING STARTED WITH USB ASICS"

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
thehairymob (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2014, 02:44:29 PM

Going round in circles with this one. Done everything it told me but still the same results. And BFG keeps saying FT_GetComPortNumber. It makes no difference if I try another pool or try using a proxy. I don't think I did that one right though. Not good stats for BFL, 50% failure rate.
ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 05:47:30 PM

Have you tried hooking the jalapeno up to an entirely different and preferably "clean" system?  Could be any number of factors preventing your jally from being recognized or utilized if seen (particularly if using Windows)

thehairymob (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 12:10:05 AM

Will try that tomorrow, thanks Smiley Yeah it feels like that cathoderay Cheesy
bcp19

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 12:14:00 AM

Will try that tomorrow, thanks Smiley Yeah it feels like that cathoderay Cheesy
I take it this is the only miner you have?  I would suggest also trying a new USB cable if you have not already.

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
thehairymob (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 01:55:23 PM

Yeah the only one I have but my son has one too. I got two when I ordered mine. One for me and you guessed. My sons worked out of the box but mine has never functioned correctly. I tried as you suggested Thomas. No joy sadly, though I did manage to make a connection to both Slushy's pool and Eclipse but the unit never hashed anything. That was the first time it has managed to do so. I now believe I got a none functioning unit.  Cry
billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 01:55:31 PM

Have you tried hooking the jalapeno up to an entirely different and preferably "clean" system?  Could be any number of factors preventing your jally from being recognized or utilized if seen (particularly if using Windows)

To add to this OP you say you have a Pi and you flashed the jala from it? Why not install minepeon and see if that works?

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
bcp19

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 02:12:39 PM

Yeah the only one I have but my son has one too. I got two when I ordered mine. One for me and you guessed. My sons worked out of the box but mine has never functioned correctly. I tried as you suggested Thomas. No joy sadly, though I did manage to make a connection to both Slushy's pool and Eclipse but the unit never hashed anything. That was the first time it has managed to do so. I now believe I got a none functioning unit.  Cry
Have you tried connecting your miner to your sons computer and his to yours?  That would be the quickest and easiest way to tell if there is a problem with the unit or the computer.

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: