Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:18:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What Do Philosophers Do?  (Read 3355 times)
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 06:31:43 PM

Look at Dank. His posts are written in a 'philosopher' way. Although, some of us may find it frustrating, some might absorb their knowledge, information or bullshit. I believe philosophers are presenting you with a point, a view or opinion on something or someone. Or maybe they are sharing their knowledge and/or opinion or maybe their way of life. Basically, they speak and write about their perspective about objects, life and other shit.

They try to enlighten, Persuade, or guide.

no that's bullshit, dank is not a philosopher.. it's more like new age spirituality tinged with psychosis.

Drug fueled rants.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 06:34:42 PM

Look at Dank. His posts are written in a 'philosopher' way. Although, some of us may find it frustrating, some might absorb their knowledge, information or bullshit. I believe philosophers are presenting you with a point, a view or opinion on something or someone. Or maybe they are sharing their knowledge and/or opinion or maybe their way of life. Basically, they speak and write about their perspective about objects, life and other shit.

no that's bullshit, dank is not a philosopher.. it's more like new age spirituality tinged with psychosis.

Granted most of it is shit. He's talked about his life and how he likes to live it a few times. He's provided what he thinks about the governent and many other things. So, yes. He has gave his view. Even, if we disagree he has shared us how he likes to live his life and he has also hinted that many others should try his way too. I'm talking a bit back now and not the most recent posts that he has made.
JerryCurlzzz

Activity: 504

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 06:46:09 PM

Drug fueled rants.

those are the very best kind. Wink
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 06:58:16 PM

Anyone can call themselves a philosopher. But I think it's important to draw the distinction between a random person who likes to think about life and professional philosophers(or people who have actually studied modern philosophy).

From reading this thread I can tell people in general have a fairly bad impression of what it means to be a philosopher.
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1814
Merit: 2727

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2014, 07:31:48 PM

Plenty of ignorant posts, but every philosopher is different based on their personality. I'd say its an extreme version of an analyst who analyzes every fine detail about a topic typically regarding world/life/spiritual understanding.

"thinker" might be the easiest way to understand a philosopher but its not the art of blindly thinking about random stuff, not really sure its an art at all, although I am sure there are plenty of people out there that do this..... which I think is a good thing. Although, I think most true philosophers come naturally.

And for the weed comments, smoking may be a method of stepping outside of the box to "think", but those who choose this path should not over-do it and should re-analyze their thoughts after they come down from their cloud to have a 2nd perspective on the thoughts  Cool

EDIT:  and to answer the topic of the thread;  they employ you.  Shocked

WillyBTC

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 07:45:52 PM

Anyone can call themselves a philosopher. But I think it's important to draw the distinction between a random person who likes to think about life and professional philosophers(or people who have actually studied modern philosophy).

From reading this thread I can tell people in general have a fairly bad impression of what it means to be a philosopher.

IMO, that distinction is not always clear. Certainly, one does not need to be an academic to be a prolific thinker/philosopher.
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 07:56:53 PM

IMO, that distinction is not always clear. Certainly, one does not need to be an academic to be a prolific thinker/philosopher.

No, but it helps to use the same set of tools. Mainly logic and avoiding common fallacies.
WillyBTC

Activity: 312

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 08:02:56 PM

No, but it helps to use the same set of tools. Mainly logic and avoiding common fallacies.

Sure, I would think anyone bothering to make analyses in metaphysics or epistemology should be trained in logic. But one does not need to be an academic for that.
BowieMan

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 08:12:23 PM

i had a friend who majored in philosophy. he works at dunkin donuts. Undecided

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 08:40:42 PM

Sure, I would think anyone bothering to make analyses in metaphysics or epistemology should be trained in logic. But one does not need to be an academic for that.

Definitely. I didn't mean to imply that someone had to be an academic exclusively. When I wrote "(or people who have actually studied modern philosophy)" I didn't mean only formal study. All the knowledge is out there already. My main point was that if someone was interested in philosophy that they should look to be using the same set of skills that professional philosophers use. Else we end up with philosophy being considered a waste of time and effort like many people in this thread seem to think.

I don't think anyone who's truly studied philosophy can say that it has little benefit. Philosophy teaches you how to think. And thinking is required in anything and everything we do.
HigsonPP

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 08:44:47 PM

i find that, by and large, the anti-philosophy camp is comprised of people who are concerned only with money.

zhinkk

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 08:48:31 PM

They do a lot of thinking, writing, and debating with others on why they are right and everyone else is wrong

Over all of the silly "nothing, they're useless", I feel like this is the best answer. I would think they have a lot of thoughts and ideas and writing and debating would be the best way for them to spent time.
HigsonPP

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 08:50:36 PM

They do a lot of thinking, writing, and debating with others on why they are right and everyone else is wrong

where does that come from? totally out of left field. you sound bitter.

ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1814
Merit: 2727

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2014, 11:52:44 PM

where does that come from? totally out of left field. you sound bitter.

Some philosophers probably come off condescending, but its probably because of the amount of thought they have put into whatever they are writing/debating/thinking about. It is probably created from confidence in themselves and the amount of time and effort they have put into analyzing something, as opposed to the other person or group being wrong.

phosphorush

Activity: 503

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 12:59:26 PM

I'm unemployed :\ Doing RMT, want to write books, working on a sci-fiction now...

Your account locked, please contact support.
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 01:15:53 PM

I'm unemployed :\ Doing RMT, want to write books, working on a sci-fiction now...

What's RMT? Real money trading? Only place I know the acronym is from people selling game items for money.
josephliton

Activity: 644

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 06:00:17 PM

Philosophers try and explain the world around them using their MINDS and the tools of logic and various analytical theories. Nobody makes any money at it, so it is an avocation, rather than a vocation.

CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 06:45:12 PM

Philosophers try and explain the world around them using their MINDS and the tools of logic and various analytical theories. Nobody makes any money at it, so it is an avocation, rather than a vocation.

Well, it's an avocation for most, yes. A lucky few get to have nice, cushy academic research and teaching positions. What I'd give to live the life of a professor. Not many job openings once you finish your training. Smiley

phosphorush

Activity: 503

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 02:01:42 AM

I think that any philospher who doesn't look up for scientific support is doing it wrong. It's too easy to get lost in pure speculations. (depends on the subject of course but...)

Your account locked, please contact support.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 11:12:00 PM

What Do Philosophers Do and what type of jobs do Philosopher get when they graduate ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dining_philosophers_problem
This is what philosophers do from programmer's perspective  Grin

So they're working on a "solved" problem that's used to scare away computer science freshmen?  Grin
Or do they come up with those problems? Ha, I know... They don't have enough food and/or cutlery to fed everyone!!!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: