Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:59:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: decentralized Bitcoin are highly centralized to mtgox!11  (Read 28344 times)
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 12:23:32 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1d_RuiH1o4
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
chris200x9
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 01:32:56 AM

https://btcex.com/ claims:

"We are under DDoS attack"

I question the truth of that statement.

I don't doubt it

https://github.com/NewEraCracker/LOIC/wiki/How-to-run-LOIC-using-Mono

Oh look LOIC works on linux *hint hint* accepting donations in my https://btcex.com/ ddos attempt 1CBvDM2M37ExZjWjJDKEED7c9KGNEHY46k

I'm a l33t haxxor, maybe if you pay me 100000000000000000000000 btc I'll stop.

edit: I don't want this to tarnish my reputation so I felt obligated to tell all of you who can't tell this is a joke. I'm not ddosing him, that post was written out of anger and I find it quite funny now he claims someone is doing it.
JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 03:55:11 AM

Could be wrong but I think bitcoinex is the first ever winner of a Bitcoin Darwin Award. Congrats!
bitcoinex (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 07:38:23 AM

I just registered to say that most of you, especially morons vladimir and bruce wagner-dick, doesn`t even suspect how RETARDED you are Smiley)))) Bitcoin is for freedom, my including, not only for you, you selfish hypocritical bastards. If someone orders ddos, drugs and other "bad, unfair" things, you must live with it. But when life beats your stupid heads without brain you always show your immature sense of reality. Carry on,  lol Smiley)))

И пoчeмy мyдaкa вaгнepa нe зaбaнили зa pycoфoбию? lzsaver , тeбe пoxyю, чтo нa Russian гoвнo вeдpaми льют? Чe ты oпpaвдывaeшьcя? Пepeд кeм? Oтcocи eмy eщe. Кaкoй ты мoдepaтop нaxyй, paз тeбe вce пoxyй?

BHEЗAПHO Smiley

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 08:41:12 AM

Бpюc Baгнep cдeлaл для cooбщecтвa бoльшe, чeм вcя poccийcкaя чacть cooбщecтвa. Taк чтo нe тpoгaть eгo.

Please ban rus moroz!

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
rus moroz

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 09:43:33 AM

Бpюc Baгнep cдeлaл для cooбщecтвa бoльшe, чeм вcя poccийcкaя чacть cooбщecтвa. Taк чтo нe тpoгaть eгo.
Кaкoгo cooбщecтвa?? 90% здecь oтпиcaвшиxcя - cтaдo тyпopылыx oбeзьян. И я oчeнь paд, чтo "poccийcкaя чacть cooбщecтвa" к этoмy циpкy ypoдoв oтнoшeния нe имeeт.
Please ban rus moroz!
It turned out that you are even more hypocritical than most stupid shithead marked in this topic. You`re pathetic.
rus moroz

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 10:00:08 AM

vladimir, thank you! We have finally found the profit of your presence here Smiley
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 07:53:28 PM

Ok, maybe I will pull a massive amount of hatred on me now ...

Let's get our facts straight:

There is one person (bitcoinex) who thinks that the current market is much too centralized.
Which is right in my opinion.

He start's a DDoS-attack to prove his point and brings the site down for several hours.

What's so wrong about that ?

If you can't see what is wrong with what he did, you clearly live in bizarro world.

That being said, let me explain things from a slightly different angle: this asswipe
operates an exchange.

This basically means that he's relying on his customers trusting him to handle
their money in an honest manner (I'm hoping I won't have to explain that part).

As to that, he's just given us a rather clear and resounding example of the
kind of business ethics he's ready to resort to.

Would you be ready to transfer any kind of money to btcex after he pulled
a stunt liked that ?

I most certainly am not, and I'm willing to bet that once people understand
better how he operates/thinks, very few will.

In other words, he's probably just destroyed any chance for btcex to become
any kind of successful.

How does that not make him a complete idiot ? Or do you think the only goal
of setting up the whole btcex affair was only to troll people on the bitcoin
forums ?

Please enlighten me.

Well, for me this whole thing looks very different.
But to make one thing clear: I do not know bitcoinex nor do I know his real intentions or idealogies.

I can't see any links between DDoS-ing and business so I don't know what business ethics you mean.
I also never heard of bitcoinex stealing money from his customers or something so TO ME he seems like a legit business man.
I've never traded at btcex, though.
Since btces charges no fees (afaik) I don't think he tried to steal mtgox's userbase.
I got the impression that BECAUSE he's also running an exchange he has seen the problems coming with centralized exchanges and especially the focus on mtgox.com.
But hey, who knows, maybe he is just a total douchebag, I don't really care and I don't need to defend his doings.
Just keep in mind that never attracted any negative attention before that thing.

For me DDoS is a matter of free speach, just like a digital sit-in blockade.
Sure, as soon as it becomes a financial issue (which it is, because MtGox chrges fees) it gets really difficult to judge.
But in my opinion bitcoin exchanges should be free of any fees. We do not have to make the same mistakes that other currencies/systems/communites have done before.
(centralized market/market monopol + fees <-> government + taxes  Shocked)

Aw man, feels great in bizarro world  Grin

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
Binford 6100

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 08:47:15 PM

+.9

This looks like a case of someone yelling 'fire' in a crowded cinema.

premiere of new star trek movie, the crowded cinema full of nerds, no one moves and all watch the screen

what is so wrong with pointing loud to a critical weakness?

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 09:38:19 PM

DDoS is the opposite of free speech.  You are silencing someone else's speech, by brute force.

epii

Activity: 210
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 09:47:50 PM

DDoS is the opposite of free speech.  You are silencing someone else's speech, by brute force.

Amen.  Freedom to criticize someone isn't freedom to hobble them however you see fit.  DDoS is more akin to corporate espionage than free speech.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 09:51:49 PM

Sure, as soon as it becomes a financial issue (which it is, because MtGox chrges fees) it gets really difficult to judge.
But in my opinion bitcoin exchanges should be free of any fees. We do not have to make the same mistakes that other currencies/systems/communites have done before.
(centralized market/market monopol + fees <-> government + taxes  Shocked)

Aw man, feels great in bizarro world  Grin

A DDOS is almost always committed with stolen computers and it is nothing like a digital sit in. It is more akin to stealing 100 cars and parking them in a businesses parking lot and right up against the doors so no one can get in or out.  The name alone says it all, DENIAL OF SERVICE.   That is very much an aggressive act, not a passive act.

DDoS is the opposite of free speech.  You are silencing someone else's speech, by brute force.

Agreed.  It is a use of force.

SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 09:54:36 PM

DDoS is the opposite of free speech.  You are silencing someone else's speech, by brute force.
DDoSing a website/server does not remove the owner's ability to speak elsewhere on the net.
But I see what you are pointing at.
Maybe I should have chosen a better expression.

A DDOS is almost always committed with stolen computers
It's always wrong to abuse other people's property.
But I can't see a problem when everybody is using his own machines to participate in a DDoS. (But most likely that is not the case here)

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 09:56:09 PM

@free speech
Is it immoral to follow someone around in public places and yell louder than they can, drowning them out?

I'm really not sure how I feel about denials of service. I opposed the one on Wikileaks, supported the one on Visa/Mastercard, and oppose the one on MtGox. Depending on the target and motivation of the denying party, I can go either way...
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 10:14:08 PM

@free speech
Is it immoral to follow someone around in public places and yell louder than they can, drowning them out?

I'm really not sure how I feel about denials of service. I opposed the one on Wikileaks, supported the one on Visa/Mastercard, and oppose the one on MtGox. Depending on the target and motivation of the denying party, I can go either way...

If you don't like MtGox or Visa, do not use it.  Tell your friends.  Post web pages.  Do not break other peoples things. 

pjwaffle

Activity: 539

BIB Exchange

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 10:16:57 PM

Do not you think that a decentralized currency Bitcoin a highly centralized to mtgox? So that users are more profitable to move all his bitcoins into mtgox.

Yes, dammit, I resent, because paying for the work with bitcoins!

Confess that you simply draw exchange rates!

I agree, but at this point the community is DEPENDENT on mtgox...

Most USD trades are through it, and the most trading volume (by far) occurs on it.

Unfortunately, this will continue until people see reason to stop (eg. more ddos attacks, or a government attack on it)

███     WHITEPAPER  |    TELEGRAM    ███      BiB Exchange      ███     TWITTER     |   INSTAGRAM     ███
S e t   O f f   t h e   W e b 3   G e n e r a t i o n   N o w
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 10:38:32 PM

If you don't like MtGox or Visa, do not use it.  Tell your friends.  Post web pages.  Do not break other peoples things. 

At what point does visiting a web site become immoral? If I visit it once per minute, second, millisecond? A denial of service is fundamentally no different than normal web traffic, just at a much higher volume.
pjwaffle

Activity: 539

BIB Exchange

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 10:40:23 PM

At what point does visiting a web site become immoral? If I visit it once per minute, second, millisecond? A denial of service is fundamentally no different than normal web traffic, just at a much higher volume.

I disagree, a ddos attack is a large amount of visits (often from compromised systems) with the intent to deny the service of a website.

Now, making an API check every millisecond isn't a DDoS, because you have a legitamite use for the site, and you certainly don't want to have it shut down.

███     WHITEPAPER  |    TELEGRAM    ███      BiB Exchange      ███     TWITTER     |   INSTAGRAM     ███
S e t   O f f   t h e   W e b 3   G e n e r a t i o n   N o w
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 11:20:19 PM

For the protocol:
After reading the whole thread again, I'm not even sure whether it was bitcoinex behind the DDoS or not.

Please don't discuss this comment Wink Just want to make myself clear because when I've written my previous posts I was sure he did it.

FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 11:27:12 PM

False.. MtGox is experiencing a SYN flood, which is very different from normal web traffic.  It is a specific attack designed to overload the server's ability to establish TCP connections.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYN_flood

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: