Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:24:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats taking so long?  (Read 4361 times)
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:39:28 AM

BTC price going significantly up requires one thing (okay three):   

Consumer adoption, demand, and commerce.

This "stage" of the game is still some time off.  This is why the price rocket to the moon has not begun yet.

And will *not* begin despite any number of "good news" articles that come out.  Period.

The first round of Bitcoin startups (focused mainly on making bitcoin easier to use) are still in funding/planning/setup phase. 

Barely the first 1, 2, or 3 of them have actually begun doing business and making themselves known.

*After* that, you're looking at a significant amount of more time where even more *Merchant* adoption has to take place.   

There's got to be somewhere for Bitcoin to be used, first. 

Both of these are necessary before Consumer adoption, demand, and commerce can even begin. 

And even then, its not like Consumers are just going to start going shopping with Bitcoin.   *Something* unique, interesting, and exciting must catch the consumers eye, and draw the masses in droves towards Bitcoin.  I wonder what that thing will be?

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:59:46 AM

All I see it doing is building a base in price before the next rocket. A good thing.

Let it take its time. Wink

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:02:26 AM

BTC price going significantly up requires one thing (okay three):   

"BTC price going up significantly requires one thing": More buyers than sellers <period>

Are you not aware of the historical massive rallies that BTC has had already?
The next Huge Rally can happen based on expectations, not reality.

spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:03:02 AM

The value going up from a purely network effect point of view, absolutely. But there are plently of other people who know this is going to happen apart from the people who talk about it on this forum, and want to make a fairly safe high percentage short term return. I suspect these people are only waiting for the cheapest time to buy in and we'll see some decent action this year before the network size fundamentals raise the price on their own.

That said, there are plenty of ridiculous whiners on this forum that can't wait a year or two to get rich. come one, guys, relax!

elebit

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:08:54 AM

BTC price going significantly up requires one thing (okay three): Consumer adoption, demand, and commerce.
This "stage" of the game is still some time off.  This is why the price rocket to the moon has not begun yet.

You forgot speculation. We've had quite a few bubbles, large and small, already.

Problem is, if you're only in when real consumer adoption comes, you'll have to buy in > $10k.

That's why I'm in now and not next year.
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:28:13 PM

All I see it doing is building a base in price before the next rocket. A good thing.

Totally agreed on both points, I used to be anxious for the price to go up - now I'm just happy to have more time to buy low!
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:49:08 PM

I AM patient, my target for this year is "only" $3,500/BTC.  Grin

zoinky

Activity: 811
Merit: 1000

Web Developer

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:32:26 PM

For real.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 05:06:29 PM

When most of the market expects a bubble then it really is no surprise when the opposite occurs. (Or at least a sideways meandering).

atc1

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 05:13:26 PM

Is it possible for another bubble to occur? Once a product has gone relatively mainstream in that a majority of people are aware of it, bubbles generally do not occur because there is a lack of further speculation.

Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 05:13:49 PM

Totally agreed on both points, I used to be anxious for the price to go up - now I'm just happy to have more time to buy low!

Yeah and thats how every bear should think about it instead of making bear topics expecting it to go more lower. Cheesy
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 05:17:39 PM

Is it possible for another bubble to occur? Once a product has gone relatively mainstream in that a majority of people are aware of it, bubbles generally do not occur because there is a lack of further speculation.

I highly encourage you to do a survey in your local community.  Unless you happen to live in silicon valley, chances are more than 90% of people's eyes will glaze over if you ask them about bitcoin.

We are very far from the majority of people being aware of it.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
ThatDGuy

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 05:29:03 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2014, 06:12:49 PM by ThatDGuy

Most people are aware of Bitcoin in name only.  Most have next to no idea the potential for technological and economic disruption it has.

I would imagine seeing a few more bubbles as the realization of that starts to set in.
Raystonn

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:42:35 PM

Don't worry.  I've got considerable fiat coming available on August 25th.  (Really.)  So we're guaranteed to bubble before that date just so I can't buy more at a good price.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:00:45 PM

I AM patient, my target for this year is "only" $3,500/BTC.  Grin

$3500 would be amazing. I would be more than happy with $1500 though as well. Hell, just reaching a new ATH would be huge because it would prove to all the doubters how resilient BTC is
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:24:17 PM

Don't worry.  I've got considerable fiat coming available on August 25th.  (Really.)  So we're guaranteed to bubble before that date just so I can't buy more at a good price.

Thanks for taking one for the team, Raystonn.  You're a stand-up guy.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:26:43 PM

I expect this to play out over years or decades.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
TheJuice

Activity: 840
Merit: 608

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:58:26 PM

Only in BTC terms would this be considered taking too long. In what, 4 years we've gone from nothing to multi-billion dollar idea.
ThatDGuy

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:31:32 PM

Only in BTC terms would this be considered taking too long. In what, 4 years we've gone from nothing to multi-billion dollar idea.

Learning about the protocol certainly has that effect of seeming to slow down time.  I remember when I first started really getting into it, I was spending hours a day reading up, watching the market, doing some trading.

The excitement factor and extremely fast development definitely can create some false expectations of constant violent action.  The reality seems to be a few months correcting, a few more with development of infrastructure and sideways value adjustments, and then one month of complete fucking insanity. Rinse and repeat.

It all seems relative, though.  Once you've been through a bubble or two, it's easier to have the overall perspective of just how quickly BTC is growing into a behemoth.
SimonJones

Activity: 485

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:51:50 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2014, 10:09:15 PM by SimonJones

We need more buyers.

..............Web..............Bounty..............Twitter..............Telegram.......
.......ALL DATA ⇔ ONE PLACE.......

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: