Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 04:40:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ORA:: Logo submission & discussion thread  (Read 26197 times)
DarkhorseofNxt

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:17:26 AM

Kora,

Probably you can announce a bounty for the best logo design. What do you think?

Kora (OP)

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 12:48:32 PM

Kora,

Good idea! What do you think would be a fair bounty? I'm thinking 5-10 stakes, and maybe we pick a short list and vote using the NXT AE or using a thread poll.

What's a fair bounty people? Let's decide asap, is 5 too little, is 10 too much?

Pentamon

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 01:03:17 PM
Last edit: July 26, 2014, 01:59:16 AM by Pentamon

I am willing to create a design, can you atleast give a hint of what kind of design you're looking for? That will make it easier to have something to work on.

Good question, 1Referee,

Based upon my reading what has been said here, I would summarize as follows:

Design guidelines for the Ora logo: see this posting:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=697958.msg7952290#msg7952290

So far, the starfish designs initiated by gvans, have been getting the most support, but this does not mean that there might be another great logo hiding somewhere under the rocks or in the intertidal zone....

Bounties are yet to be determined. My suggestion is to take whatever stakes are assigned for the logo bounty, and divide them to reward the participants in this open source design process (even fractional values should be considered, in my opinion).

Please submit logos here on this thread. It may be useful to present two or three options, and ask for opinions about which ones are preferred. Remember this is a dialogue.

Thank you for participating.
Pentamon

http://www.oraforum.org  *  Yoda: "One stake to every human give!"
Pentamon

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 01:08:51 PM

Kora,

Good idea! What do you think would be a fair bounty? I'm thinking 5-10 stakes, and maybe we pick a short list and vote using the NXT AE or using a thread poll.

What's a fair bounty people? Let's decide asap, is 5 too little, is 10 too much?

Hi Kora
....that is still your name, is it?  At least for now  Smiley

I think that 10 stakes is a good bounty.
I also think that we should try to include people with that, that have not been 'drawn into' Ora yet.
Thirdly: let us acknowledge the participants in this thread. For instance: gvans came up with the idea and the first design of a starfish logo. I think we should honour that, even though we might not end up with his final design.

What do you think?

Pentamon

DarkhorseofNxt

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:11:25 PM

10 stakes for total bounty on logo design. Winner gets more, participants get some. That would be good for distribution as well. I am ok with that.

Pentamon

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 01:13:00 PM

hi Purple!

from your four designs, I like this one the most. The colors are nice, and I think the human shape of the starfish works. Arms and head slightly up, that reminds me of an embrace...

Pentamon

Pentamon

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 01:16:40 PM

10 stakes for total bounty on logo design. Winner gets more, participants get some. That would be good for distribution as well. I am ok with that.

Good. We are moving forward.

Next, I would like to get a timeline idea from the movers and shakers... I think it is important to do this logo design well, but we don't have a lot of time, and people (at least in the northern hemisphere) are enjoying their summer, I hope.

What I am saying: a deadline is important. So we can move on.
I think two weeks, what are the opinions here?

Pentamon

Pentamon

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 01:24:54 PM

Hey there!

How do you like these?

I put purple on it because Purple! wanted it. Smiley Smiley

Hi Anna!,

I see you also posted the tiny version of your design.  I nearly missed it, because your other submission is so big and a bit overwhelming for me: I feel that you have too many things in there, too busy.
Or, as the emperor said to Mozart: 'too many notes!'   Grin Grin

Here is your small design again: would you try to make it simpler, if you can?

Pentamon

Pentamon

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 01:31:18 PM

Hi All!
Here's my submission for (K)ORA.

Hi kossaka,

Thank you for a nice design.  I like the twisty nature, and the little detail circles on the starfish arms, or legs.
In the meantime - this is a moving target - it would appear that the name is going to be Ora.

Could you give us a small version to see how it would do, the logo only without the (very nice) font next to it?

Have you experimented with other colors?

Pentamon

Pentamon

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 01:41:32 PM
Last edit: September 05, 2014, 06:08:39 PM by Pentamon

Ora logo - second and final voting round!

PLease go here to vote:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=697958.msg8688537#msg8688537

Pentamon

Design guidelines for the Ora logo:

Bounties will be 10 Ora stakes, divided between participants in a yet-to-be-determined formula...  I think that any participation should be recognized, that we should recognize good ideas and give the most weight on the final design, escalating from third to first place.

Time line: Please submit all your designs before 17 August 2014. After that, we all will vote, here in this thread. Voting will last two weeks, so final result should be available by 31 August 2014.

How to vote: Since NXT voting mechanism is not quite use-able yet, we will vote here in the Ora Logo Thread. Start by making a post that starts with "Here is my vote", followed by the three top choices that you deem to be the best, in descending order. Just go to the submitted designs, and copy the image links,  and post them in your voting post in descending order: Number 1, 2 and 3. If you submit only one option, that one will be counted in position three, so with the lowest impact. Feel free to motivate your vote, with some additional comments. Try to just limit yourself to quoting only the logo image, not quoting the rest of the original message, unless that is part of your motivation. You can vote any time, but only once. So if you plan to vote early on and then you find a better design that was submitted later, you have to go back to your vote post, and edit it, prior to the deadline of voting.

Voting mechanism: For various reasons, we will give a stronger vote to our artists. Votes by the designers, i.e. a person that has submitted a logo here, will count for two thirds of the total vote. (Designers may place one of the three choices to one of their own designs. The other two options have to be from another designer. If you submit only one design, it will be counted on the lowest impact level, number 3.) The remaining third of votes is made up by the regular commentators.  So you know what you have to do, if you want your vote to be having a greater impact  Grin
(Kora, niocion, Mac Red, Fragora, DarkhorseofNXT and Pentamon have veto powers, but it is highly unlikely that they will need to exert that, since we have such a great process, and wonderful designs already)

Please let me know if you detect anything that can be improved.
Remember that I stumbled upon a Pot o' Ora, and I am happy to share these Ora Cheesy

Pentamon

Kora (OP)

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 02:11:52 PM

Kora,

Hi Kora
....that is still your name, is it?  At least for now  Smiley

I think that 10 stakes is a good bounty.
I also think that we should try to include people with that, that have not been 'drawn into' Ora yet.
Thirdly: let us acknowledge the participants in this thread. For instance: gvans came up with the idea and the first design of a starfish logo. I think we should honour that, even though we might not end up with his final design.

What do you think?

Pentamon

Thanks Pentamon!
Great, we will go with 10 stakes as the bounty, with some scope for 'highly commended' smaller bounties. I agree that contributions like gvans starfish idea should be celebrated & rewarded even if they don't end up being selected, as it seems like that is a great area for other Logo designers to explore. Maybe the winner wont be a starfish, but it's still worthy of recognition. I'd say that goes for the humanoid starfish body too! Can ORA have a cuter mascot than Monero? I hope so Smiley

Two weeks for a deadline works for me, and maybe we come up with a short list and have a vote!!

gvans

Activity: 281

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:10:26 PM

• Ora, daughter of Kora, descedant of Qora, cousin of NXT, son of a Bitcoin, is part of a family of progressively more people-friendly crypto currencies.

Ora, you son of a bitcoin! lol Grin

But yeah, Ora sound as good as Kora imo.

BTC 1Mye3mqB9WQdCj3uFwx6zcRArnzbUiq6Ro  ★ [NXT] NXT-RA49-RXFR-V6WE-97HT9
★ [ORA] LOGO  ★ [NEM] LOGO  ★ [NXT] MONOLITH  ★ [EXO] LOGO  ★ [FIMK] LOGO  ★ [NODE] LOGO
shijilal

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 11:57:03 AM

How about these...

or

DarkhorseofNxt

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:32:36 PM

How about these...

or

Honest opinion. I like the freestyle starfish. Remove the coin.

nioccoin

Activity: 101

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 05:13:25 PM

Here's my two cents, on logo and graphic design in general, not just for k/ora.

The main rule I follow is not to make a logo per se, but to create a recognizable emblem.  In other words, don't include any words as part of the *delivered* design, not a motto and not even the name of the product, in this case the coin.  This rule applies only for linear wording.  Arced and curved wording is best supplied as image files separate from the emblem, and then I can place and "stack" them in the website as needed.  Of course, I would give preference to linearly-worded logos and avoid the curved and arced text to begin with.

So why not the word itself, i.e., "Ora" or "Kora"?  Because those can be added in during the web development process.  Better yet, because they are added in during the web dev process, it is fully open in terms of what font can be used, and what size and placement.  If at some point the font begins to look dated, it is a simple stylesheet change to fix it on the website.  If the letters are embedded in the logo itself, it cannot be as easily changed or modified.

So, let's talk kussaka's logo as an example.  For that logo, I would put in the words to demonstrate the possibilities, but I would prefer that if that is the winner, the submission would be only the emblem, and then the name/style of the font and the colour code used for the emblem so I can match the font type, style, and colour.  That leaves the emblem in a square format, and I can programmatically add the word "Ora" or "K   Ora" in, so that the "K" is in the center of the starfish, and Ora is next to it.  And, we can use any font and size we want both at present, and at a later date as needed.

This is also what is at the root of my preference for a logo that is square or that can fit into a square format.  I can always programmatically make a square logo look rectangular by adding a rectangle background to it, matching the colour.  Also, square and round logos scale better for applications such as iphone formats, etc.

kind regards,
nio
Pentamon

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 05:49:27 PM

Yes, DarkhorseofNXT and nioccoin seem to say the same thing: let us fing a strong logo only.
It shoul be scalable. On the bottom end of the scale, it should be recognizeable in a 16 by 16 pixel size, see gvans original design.

Pentamon

nioccoin

Activity: 101

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:51:57 PM

Design guidelines for the Ora logo:
No color themes have been decided yet. [/li][/list]
Pentamon

Let's talk about colour.  I started with Mac Red's baseline colour scheme (greenish and orange-ish) for koracoin.com's registration system, which consists in these two codes:
5b8d5a
db7537

You can see these at: http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=20140624T13&p0=12&fg1=5b8d5a&fg2=db7637&msg=Kora+Registration+Opening&csz=1

Don't be bound by this.  This is an organic movement, and the community can vote on the "theme".  The colour scheme can be anything the community wants it to be.

I propose one of these two solutions for colour:
1.  Wait and see what the winning logo is, and we will use that as a base for the website colour theme.  That doesn't mean the website will consist in only those two colours, of course.  We can then later vote on the colour scheme.

2.  Have the logo designers also present a colour palette that complements the winning logo.  They can even "mock up" an image of what a website might generally look like, with their colour scheme implemented, to demonstrate how the colours vibrate against each other.  I am using the twitter bootstrap, because it's simple and clean, and until we are much farther along in the Ora coin dev process we don't have much data to put in a website.  At this point it is a marketing tool and perhaps a stakeholder portal.  So, here are some sample bootstrap-based websites to peruse, to give an idea of what is possible with it:
http://expo.getbootstrap.com/

I am willing to change to any other bootstrap system.  As most of  you know, I heavily favour code reuse.  Let twitter, jquery, etc do the heavy lifting Wink

Don't like the twitter bootstrap?  If you have an argument for one templating system over another, let's hear it.  Just make sure your preferred system has an open license.  I couldn't justify purchasing a license for any bootstrapping system when so many of them are free use.

In any case, we will keep the website fluid and nimble so that we can make style/theme changes easily.

kind regards,
nio
Pentamon

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 10:09:41 PM

Which one do you prefer:

Stark black:

small version:

or do you prefer some colour in there:

small:

Just keep the one you like in your reply.
Thank
Pentamon

Pentamon

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 10:13:32 PM

Or do you like it without the round circle around the starfish?

small:

Pentamon

Pentamon

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 10:22:26 PM

OK, back to my growing library of rough designs...

Which one do you want to have the 'special treatment' ? 
Which colors do you like to see?

Pentamon

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: