Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:51:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BITMAIN Antminer S3 support and OverClocking thread  (Read 158113 times)
Azmodeus

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 06:18:46 PM

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/azmodeus82/antexhaust_zpsb69db2fc.jpghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/azmodeus82/antexhaust2_zpsed372842.jpghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/azmodeus82/antsinside_zps76321c51.jpghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/azmodeus82/antaclaptop_zps1f0278c0.jpghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/azmodeus82/monitor1_zps511779d0.jpg

Finally got this setup finished. Built a custom server room in my pole barn to house all the ants. I figured they would run nice n cool with a small air conditioned room and the ants exhausted out the back. but that doesn't look like the case. I'm seeing temps on most of them up around 47 and 48 degrees even with the ac on high. I'm not sure if it's because all the PSU's are so close to the ants that it's sucking in the warm exhaust from the psu's, or just need a bigger AC, or maybe something wrong with the airflow of the room. The ants are creating suction in the small room, so much it whams the door shut and there is a noticeable difference in the sounds the fans are making while the door is open vs the door being shut. When it's shut it sounds like a vacuum when you put your hand over the hose. Is 47-48 not OCed still acceptable or should I worry about getting them down and suggestions on doing that which doesn't require moving the Ants.  Undecided
bobsav2121

Activity: 317
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 07:07:09 PM

your trying to blow cold air into an almost sealed room.
Either make an opening say 6" by 3' at the top or just try leaving the door open a crack say like 2-3 inches.
You will probably see a difference.
Whats the outside ambient ?
jowaybea

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 08:31:53 PM

I personally wouldn't worry too much about 47-48C, but I would worry about the vacuum if the fans from the S3's are trying (and failing) to pull more air than the AC is pushing.

I agree, open a vent, though I'd probably choose under that desk down low where the concrete avg temp is probably cooler than air from the loft of that barn.  At almost any ambient temp merged with the cooling of that AC, you'll be fine.  I run my S3's in a non-climate controlled back room that gets up to 90-95F every day and they don't care, as long as they can dump their heat directly out the open window they are aimed at.

Nice build BTW!
Azmodeus

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 10:51:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. It's been right around 90 here with 65% humidity. Just checked on them again and some of them are running 49-50 degrees now. I'm going to prop the door open a few inches and see if that drops the temps any. If it does at all then I'll cut me a small opening in the back.
Azmodeus

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 11:10:34 PM

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/azmodeus82/Image3_zps7d29d042.jpg

Looks like you guys were right. I blocked the door open about 3 inches and in just 5 minutes the temps have already dropped off quite a bit. So all that work I put into sealing and insulating that room to keep the AC in was all for nothin.  Roll Eyes So now the question is where to cut an intake hole? Top above the ants and psu's so maybe some of the heat from the psus will escape or under the desk as mentioned to maybe pull in some of the cooler air from the floor? Both seem logical but I'm thinking with that much suction from the fans, putting a hole at the top above the units is just going to draw warm air from the top of the barn inside so probably best to put it under the desk as Jow said...
Azmodeus

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 11:19:37 PM

By the way, for those discussing PSU's above, the EVGA Supernova 1000 G1's are the way to go. One of the best psu's by far and they come with everything you need to overclock 2 ants. 4 single pci and 2 double pci for a total of 8 pcie plugs and these psus also come packaged with the power strip clip to be able to run them without a motherboard...so no more shoving paper clips and crap in the holes.  Grin Newegg has them for 154.00 I bought 8 when they had the bitcoin 10% off deal and they are superb.
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 11:27:14 PM

]Finally got this setup finished. Built a custom server room in my pole barn to house all the ants. I figured they would run nice n cool with a small air conditioned room and the ants exhausted out the back. but that doesn't look like the case. I'm seeing temps on most of them up around 47 and 48 degrees even with the ac on high. I'm not sure if it's because all the PSU's are so close to the ants that it's sucking in the warm exhaust from the psu's, or just need a bigger AC, or maybe something wrong with the airflow of the room. The ants are creating suction in the small room, so much it whams the door shut and there is a noticeable difference in the sounds the fans are making while the door is open vs the door being shut. When it's shut it sounds like a vacuum when you put your hand over the hose. Is 47-48 not OCed still acceptable or should I worry about getting them down and suggestions on doing that which doesn't require moving the Ants.  Undecided[/color][/size]

You need to vent at the top and bottom... At the botton you can put in a 8" fan, at the top you can use Dundas insulated 4" conduit and an inline fan to move air from the top of your room over to an exhaust outside. It looks like you're in a garage, so there should be some venting around going outside.  Here's a couple of links:

Insulated duct: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049H9970/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_dp_1
4" Inline fan: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F6BL11U/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item
8" inline fan: http://www.amazon.com/VenTech-DF8-Duct-Fan-400/dp/B005KMUHWY
Transition: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009W3GE/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

Good luck with your room man...

jowaybea

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 12:39:16 AM

You need to vent at the top and bottom... At the botton you can put in a 8" fan, at the top you can use Dundas insulated 4" conduit and an inline fan to move air from the top of your room over to an exhaust outside. It looks like you're in a garage, so there should be some venting around going outside.  Here's a couple of links:

Insulated duct: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049H9970/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_dp_1
4" Inline fan: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F6BL11U/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

The S3's are all venting out of the enclosure.  The only problem is they cannot pull enough air into the room.  A simple whole in the wall will suffice to fix the problem.

Also, to the OP, your insulation will still be very beneficial to keep the radiating heat from coming through the walls.  It just would have taken some extra math to learn that 16 S3's have more CFM than your window AC can move.  Who knows....Maybe just removing the window barriers next to the AC would be best. 
kkurtmann

Activity: 475
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 12:57:34 AM

The S3's are all venting out of the enclosure.  The only problem is they cannot pull enough air into the room.  A simple whole in the wall will suffice to fix the problem.

Also, to the OP, your insulation will still be very beneficial to keep the radiating heat from coming through the walls.  It just would have taken some extra math to learn that 16 S3's have more CFM than your window AC can move.  Who knows....Maybe just removing the window barriers next to the AC would be best. 

I agree with this. get an AC that will push more air than your S3's combined

https://www.buytrezor.com?a=55c37b866c11   well sir, I like it!
Wings1987

Activity: 418

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 01:34:50 AM

Miningrigrentals.com

anyone renting your S3's here? I can't get mine to connect to their service and was hoping for some guidance. There are some available to rent on the site so I know it is possible.
kaltar

Activity: 805

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 01:42:18 AM

Looks like you guys were right. I blocked the door open about 3 inches and in just 5 minutes the temps have already dropped off quite a bit. So all that work I put into sealing and insulating that room to keep the AC in was all for nothin.  Roll Eyes So now the question is where to cut an intake hole? Top above the ants and psu's so maybe some of the heat from the psus will escape or under the desk as mentioned to maybe pull in some of the cooler air from the floor? Both seem logical but I'm thinking with that much suction from the fans, putting a hole at the top above the units is just going to draw warm air from the top of the barn inside so probably best to put it under the desk as Jow said...
the think is the AC is cooling air from the room (recycling it ) and not taking it from outside, which is why you are getting that vacuum effect, you are better off just not exhausting your miners to outside if they put out less heat than your temperature outside the barn.

kaltar

Activity: 805

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 01:43:58 AM

Miningrigrentals.com

anyone renting your S3's here? I can't get mine to connect to their service and was hoping for some guidance. There are some available to rent on the site so I know it is possible.

nothing special to setup, just like any other pool.
to test it out, just redirect from MRR to BTCGUILD and you'll see if your ashing.
Wings1987

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 01:45:44 AM

yeah works fine elsewhere. just cant get it to connect at MMR.

Frustrating. According to devs at the site nothing special is needed. I haven't checked for latest firmware. Can't see that making a difference from what I have read.
chadwickx16

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 02:01:26 AM

Miningrigrentals.com

to test it out, just redirect from MRR to BTCGUILD and you'll see if your ashing.
Check to see if you get an error connecting to a port ":5****", had that issue on Minera, may be similar here.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████████
░░░░███████████████████████████████████████████
░░░████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████████████
░░░██████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀████████████
░░████████████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████
░░███████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░░██████████
░░░████████████░
░░░░█████████████████████████████████████
░░░░░▀███████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████████████████
░░░░░▄▄██████████████████████████████████
░░░████████████
░░███████████
░██████████▌
▐█████████▌
▐█████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
▐██████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
░███████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
░▐████████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████
░░▐███████████████▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▄████████████████
░░░░░░░░░████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███

███
███
!
#
HOMEPAGE
ANNOUNCEMENT
JOIN US ON SLACK
Wings1987

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 02:16:18 AM

Miningrigrentals.com

Check to see if you get an error connecting to a port ":5****", had that issue on Minera, may be similar here.

I will check a little later. (Not at the miners right now) What was the fix on Minera?

Thanks
chadwickx16

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 02:44:05 AM

Miningrigrentals.com

I will check a little later. (Not at the miners right now) What was the fix on Minera?

Thanks
Change the port from the standard 3333 to the new "5****".

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████
░░░████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████████████
░░░██████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀████████████
░░████████████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████
░░███████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░░██████████
░░░████████████░
░░░░░▀███████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████████████████
░░░░░▄▄██████████████████████████████████
░░░████████████
░░███████████
░██████████▌
▐█████████▌
▐█████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
▐██████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
░███████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
░▐████████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████
░░▐███████████████▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▄████████████████
░░░░░░░░░████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███

███
███
!
#
HOMEPAGE
ANNOUNCEMENT
JOIN US ON SLACK
allcoinminer

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 04:15:07 AM

Miningrigrentals.com

Thanks

Some of the pool url of MRR will not work for miners from a different location.
Try each url from the list of available.
Also post your Anymore S3 miner status page here 5 minutes after setting the pools.
Jorsher

Activity: 7

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 08:48:33 AM

the think is the AC is cooling air from the room (recycling it ) and not taking it from outside, which is why you are getting that vacuum effect, you are better off just not exhausting your miners to outside if they put out less heat than your temperature outside the barn.

ding ding ding!

AC doesn't/shouldn't draw air from outside the room it's trying to cool.  Just think about it.  Bringing in hot air from outside and trying to cool it is far less efficient than just trying to cool the air that's already inside, along with the fact that it would be creating positive pressure which would force cooled air outside.  Instead, it recycles the air inside.

By having your miners blowing air outside of the room, it's creating negative pressure inside the building.  Less air crossing the heatsinks, less air to absorb heat, they'll hang out and get toasty.

At least, that's how I understand it...
tyfo

Activity: 4

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 11:01:24 AM
Last edit: August 06, 2014, 11:16:57 AM by tyfo

AC doesn't/shouldn't draw air from outside the room it's trying to cool.  Just think about it.  
Bringing in hot air from outside and trying to cool it is far less efficient than just trying to cool the air that's already inside, along with the fact that it would be creating positive pressure which would force cooled air outside.  Instead, it recycles the air inside.
That depends on the temperature of the air outside and the power of your A/C unit. 16 S3's generate roughly 16x the wattage of a single unit, say 350 Watts per unit. This is roughly 5.5kW (plus the power the PSUs take just for running, these generate some heat as well). Does you A/C unit have enough power to take this much load?
If not, they will fry - assuming you have them enclosed in that room. Done that with much larger server room, fortunately the devices survived.
If you don't have them enclosed, i.e. you let the outside air in and exhaust the "used air", having the A/C unit cool the intake air is actually more efficient than keeping it up in an enclosed cabin. Again, it depends on the power of the A/C unit.

By having your miners blowing air outside of the room, it's creating negative pressure inside the building.  Less air crossing the heatsinks, less air to absorb heat, they'll hang out and get toasty.
Fully agree. If you are blowing the air outside the room, you have to blow some air in as well. In the winter it might be actually a good idea to have them cooled with the outside air - depends on your winter temperatures though.

Note that in terms of electricity bill - S3 takes X Watts of power, this converts to mostly heat (mostly being like 99% here). To cool the S3 you need an A/C unit that cools the X Watts produced, so the A/C unit should be able to take at least the same amount of electricity as the S3's combined. Ergo you electricity bill for the mining operation will simply double.

The point being here - you either
- seal the whole room, do not let the air in or out, cool it with a sufficient A/C unit, worry about it failing (fire hazard!) and pay double the electricity S3's take;
- let the air into the room, cool it down before it reaches the S3's, then let the S3 exhaust the air out - this would actually be the recommended solution for you since a) you don't have to worry about fire hazard in case the A/C fails (it is a wooden room, isn't it?), b) you don't need to have the A/C large enough (heat-wise) to take all the heat S3's produce (it will only cool the outside air a little) and c) you can leave the A/C off when the outside air temperature is relatively low (say below room temperature), during the cooler part of the year (again, depends where you live, though). This is not necessarily a cheaper solution (you still pay for the A/C working, but it does not have to be as powerful as in the sealed room conditions), but much safer, in case the A/C fails you do not give away the S3 produced heat in an enclosed compartment (an oven sould ring a bell) but rather blow the heat out cooling the units with (worst case scenario) outside temperature air.

Hope this helps...
Ninetoe

Activity: 45

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 02:47:51 PM

i thought the S3's shut down if they reached 80 degrees celcius ?
anyone tested this since i see alot of talk about fire hazards.

also could get a tellstick and some kind of nexa unit and turn off the power if the temperature inside the room reaches X degrees Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: