Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:20:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My wallet is stolen! (10 BTC)  (Read 7713 times)
chaosPT

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 12:37:20 PM

May be you entered some site and some one remote your computer .

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2014, 12:59:29 PM

It is not an offline wallet (cold storage) if it was created on a computer connected to the internet.
Well that is rather easy to hack then, isn't it.
I just ask myself how do they find these individuals holding a decent sum of coins.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 01:26:06 PM

Before ever making a cold storage wallet, scan your pc thoroughly, use up2date antivirus, and also scan with Hitman Pro after that.

Or just use an Linux OS, no need to mess about with any of that nonsense.

PHD Candidate Bitcoin researcher had ~9000 BTC stolen while he was using Linux. CDecker on this forum. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=49

Notice his user number is 49 too. Hell he could even be Satoshi(probably not though).

Link to post where this loss occurred please! Was he using an encrypted wallet? Were encrypted wallets even available at the time? Using GNU/Linux with an encrypted wallet will drastically reduce by many orders of magnitude  the threat of Bitvoin theft.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 02:04:38 PM

It is not an offline wallet (cold storage) if it was created on a computer connected to the internet.
I just ask myself how do they find these individuals holding a decent sum of coins.

My guess is people who are running bitcoin nodes are targeted. A list of current nodes is trivial to obtain. It makes sense that the probability is greater that these machines could contain coins rather than just selecting a machine at random.

juju

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 02:08:45 PM

My guess is people who are running bitcoin nodes are targeted. A list of current nodes is trivial to obtain. It makes sense that the probability is greater that these machines could contain coins rather than just selecting a machine at random.

This and like Gavin said recently, you should assume your IP is associated your transactions. If this is the case then anyone with a significant amount of coins could be targeted when they broadcast transactions to the network with an address that holds alot of coins.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 02:24:55 PM

This and like Gavin said recently, you should assume your IP is associated your transactions. If this is the case then anyone with a significant amount of coins could be targeted when they broadcast transactions to the network with an address that holds alot of coins.

Luckily it trivial to hide your IP during transmission of a transaction. Simply go here using TOR : https://blockchain.info/pushtx and post the hex of your signed transaction.

juju

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 02:31:01 PM

Luckily it trivial to hide your IP during transmission of a transaction. Simply go here using TOR : https://blockchain.info/pushtx and post the hex of your signed transaction.

That is actually really cool, I did not know you could just paste a signed TX into Blockchain.info. Thank-you for sharing this URL!
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 02:35:53 PM

That is actually really cool, I did not know you could just paste a signed TX into Blockchain.info. Thank-you for sharing this URL!

Yes. They then just transmit it using their node.

knifeedge

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 02:38:13 PM

Today I saw that my offline wallet is empty.  Cry
Someone has transferred all my 10 BTC.  Cry

Sorry for your lost. I think it's happened because of malicious software (like trojans). 
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 06:29:50 PM

This thread makes me nervious... I created a.... offlineish wallet...  It is currently offline but.. this is what I did..

New hard drive, install windows, install BTC-QT, encrypt, send BTC to wallet, back up wallet to many USB's remove hard drive.

Odds of me getting screwed are..?!

Your wallet.dat file is still sitting on your computer in the roaming app data folder of Bitcoin Core.   That is what everyone is referring to as the wallet still being online...

The hard drive isn't on a computer.. it's in my safety deposit box in the bank..  I forgot to tell that step.. oops..
heisenberg19

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 06:32:35 PM

omg, I'm very sorry for your 10BTC Cry
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 07:06:31 PM

Shit man, not fun to lose that many bitcoins.

People think Bitcoin Core is an offline wallet, it's not when your pc is connected to the internet.

Before ever making a cold storage wallet, scan your pc thoroughly, use up2date antivirus, and also scan with Hitman Pro after that.

You should be fine after that to make a cold storage wallet.
No you're not.
Then you are in even greater trouble because you think it's safe
findftp
Legendary

Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 07:10:11 PM

Very cool, but vulnerable for man in the middle attack.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 07:10:52 PM

How? What exactly could an attacker do if they gained a signed transaction?  Any bitcoin node broadcasts signed transactions to random strangers.
wolfYella

Activity: 48

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 07:24:15 PM

All you could do is prevent the TX from being transmitted as if you altered the TX in any way then the signature would no longer match, making it invalid.
Dread Pirate Roberts

Activity: 1484
Merit: 326

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2014, 08:40:38 PM

maybe next better you put your money in bitstamp or anything because a lot people put money there and i think it will more save than you save alone .

sorry to hear this . but patience and i hopes you got the thief !
dont leave keep moving !
deluxeCITY

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 08:49:36 PM

maybe next better you put your money in bitstamp or anything because a lot people put money there and i think it will more save than you save alone .

sorry to hear this . but patience and i hopes you got the thief !
dont leave keep moving !
This would open up the OP for a whole new set of possible attacks.

IMO the OP should do a better job of securing his computer
williamj2543

Activity: 588

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2014, 08:52:53 PM

You are screwed for sure. Bitcoin is very scary because you can lose it instantly and have no way of getting it back. Never use simple passwords. What I do is type something random and encrypt it into a sha256 string and just use that as a password, written down on a piece of paper on my desk.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2014, 09:31:03 PM

Feel sorry for you, and I always reply like this: install Linux, serious operating system. Windows is a toy for housewifes.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
picolo

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 09:56:57 PM

You are screwed for sure. Bitcoin is very scary because you can lose it instantly and have no way of getting it back. Never use simple passwords. What I do is type something random and encrypt it into a sha256 string and just use that as a password, written down on a piece of paper on my desk.

It is a good way to have a secure password but you need to secure your piece of paper and a back up to this piece of paper as well and if you travel you need to take it with you if you want to be able to access your coins
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: