Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 11:29:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My wallet is stolen! (10 BTC)  (Read 7713 times)
AvaiSc

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 09:35:57 PM

it is best to used a computer that will never go online and also make sure to have internet security software such as Bit Defender or Kaspersky
Don't even use a computer. Use a paper wallet generated offline. That is the safest.

is there any guide to use paper wallet m8 ?
williamj2543

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2014, 09:37:21 PM

it is best to used a computer that will never go online and also make sure to have internet security software such as Bit Defender or Kaspersky
Don't even use a computer. Use a paper wallet generated offline. That is the safest.

https://www.bitaddress.org/
Turn off your internet as soon as it loads the page, then click generate paper wallet.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 09:53:37 PM

Turn off your internet as soon as it loads the page, then click generate paper wallet.

pretty good...but not 100% safe.  still theoretically possible for virus to manipulate results.

Safer is to load the Js code onto a true cold machine.

williamj2543

Activity: 588

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2014, 10:16:15 PM

pretty good...but not 100% safe.  still theoretically possible for virus to manipulate results.

Agreed. I don't know if the site works on a phone, but buying a cheap android phone and generating it off of that would be a good decision as well.

▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
forever21

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:56:16 AM

Agreed. I don't know if the site works on a phone, but buying a cheap android phone and generating it off of that would be a good decision as well.

errr its too damn complicated why not just split all the btc into a 4 different address on inline wallet then lock it to your own ip get 2FA and have a password everywhere
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:00:05 AM

errr its too damn complicated why not just split all the btc into a 4 different address on inline wallet then lock it to your own ip get 2FA and have a password everywhere

its not that complicated to set up cold storage.

I did it with electrum and it was easy.

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:02:14 AM

There's no need to be overlying complicated when making offline cold storage.  There are alternative clients like Electrum and Armory that make this simple and essentially foolproof.  Armory even has a step by step posting of what to do: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=152151.0

Now if you have 0.1 BTC it may not be worth the hassle, but if it's more than a month's salary and you don't need access to it regularly it makes sense to spend an hour or 2 and learn how to use 1 or 2 wallet alternatives.
Yuki1988

Activity: 614

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 08:28:41 AM

its not that complicated to set up cold storage.

I did it with electrum and it was easy.

The following is a simple and easy step-by-step tutorial for creating an offline Electrum wallet and making a tx with the offline wallet. Smiley
https://www.electrum.org/tutorials.html#offline-mpk

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 09:03:06 AM

Before ever making a cold storage wallet, scan your pc thoroughly, use up2date antivirus, and also scan with Hitman Pro after that.

Or just use an Linux OS, no need to mess about with any of that nonsense.

PHD Candidate Bitcoin researcher had ~9000 BTC stolen while he was using Linux. CDecker on this forum. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=49

Notice his user number is 49 too. Hell he could even be Satoshi(probably not though).

Link to post where this loss occurred please! Was he using an encrypted wallet? Were encrypted wallets even available at the time? Using GNU/Linux with an encrypted wallet will drastically reduce by many orders of magnitude  the threat of Bitvoin theft.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=113775.0

Wallet was encrypted but any old wallet.dat that isn't encrypted is of course fair game for hackers.

This is the saddest theft of all since this guy has been around forever and 9222 btc or whatever he lost is an insane amount of money.
bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 10:46:42 PM

Sorry to hear that OP, i had 0.01514 stolen last night and im pissed off, i cant imagine loosing 10btc. Hope some good karma or something comes your way.

FunnyHat43

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:32:30 PM

Well if that wallet was created offline and held offline all the time and only you had access to your wallet, than i don't understand how somebody could hack your wallet. Are you sure that only you had access to it? Where did you keep your cold wallet?
IMO the OP is probably trolling and/or trying to get people to give him donations for his "loss"
Testing123

Activity: 561

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 03:17:27 PM

Well if that wallet was created offline and held offline all the time and only you had access to your wallet, than i don't understand how somebody could hack your wallet. Are you sure that only you had access to it? Where did you keep your cold wallet?
IMO the OP is probably trolling and/or trying to get people to give him donations for his "loss"

He didn't give his address at the end of the sob story, and so I don't think he is looking for donations.

bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 12:07:48 PM

you should have used a paper wallet...
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 12:32:28 PM

Honestly, the more I look at OP's profile and how he hasn't visited in days, the more I think he was just lying.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
ihuntbtc

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 01:56:20 PM

Prolly a scammer  Huh
zhinkk

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:16:20 PM

Well clearly it wasn't an offline wallet so you can stop calling it that. I'm guessing the computer already had some sort of virus/keylogger when before you created the wallet on there and made it offline? You should have formatted the computer or wherever your offline wallet was.
mightyWombat

Activity: 8

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 04:52:01 PM

hi!

there is something strange! opened my bitcoin wallet and suddenly a transaction was listed. all btc send to an address i have never seen before. (need passphrase!)
closed it and started again. transaction history gone, all addresses gone. like a fresh,new untouched wallet. appdata/roaming shows a new folder for bitcoin, created just a few seconds ago.
the same happened with my zipcoins!!! now i knew that there's something wrong. i was getting really nervous, opened my synccoin wallet, cinnicoin- and hobonickel wallet. they all showed a zero balance, no transaction history, no old addresses.
i wanted to check my other wallets and opened my appdata/roaming folder. i couldn't believe it! now, all entries were gone. only the wallets i opened minutes before to check them had their folders.

maybe they were moved to another directory? searched for *.dat files on m computer, nothing. i was 98% sure, i got robbed. turned to 99% as i noticed, that my hd shows 80gb more free space than before.all blockdata etc. gone! switched to 99,9% when i wanted to change my major payout adresses and all browsers were deinstalled, so no quick reaction was possible. now, i only have this 0,1% of hope.

can anybody help me with this ****ing situation? or just say me, that i got robbed an there's no chance to do anything. going to clean the system as soon as possible, if there's no chance. i don't get that! if this was an attack, how is it possible to "steal" about 80 gb of data in a few seconds?!? i don't have a "phantasy-speed" internet connection. if someone steals your data, why not just the wallet.dat?

PLEASE, anybody an idea to find my data again?
thanks...

maybe virus attack? any chance to get the erased data back? (avira and malwarebyte running non-stop)

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 04:56:59 PM

hi!

there is something strange! opened my bitcoin wallet and suddenly a transaction was listed. all btc send to an address i have never seen before. (need passphrase!)
closed it and started again. transaction history gone, all addresses gone. like a fresh,new untouched wallet. appdata/roaming shows a new folder for bitcoin, created just a few seconds ago.
the same happened with my zipcoins!!! now i knew that there's something wrong. i was getting really nervous, opened my synccoin wallet, cinnicoin- and hobonickel wallet. they all showed a zero balance, no transaction history, no old addresses.
i wanted to check my other wallets and opened my appdata/roaming folder. i couldn't believe it! now, all entries were gone. only the wallets i opened minutes before to check them had their folders.

maybe they were moved to another directory? searched for *.dat files on m computer, nothing. i was 98% sure, i got robbed. turned to 99% as i noticed, that my hd shows 80gb more free space than before.all blockdata etc. gone! switched to 99,9% when i wanted to change my major payout adresses and all browsers were deinstalled, so no quick reaction was possible. now, i only have this 0,1% of hope.

can anybody help me with this ****ing situation? or just say me, that i got robbed an there's no chance to do anything. going to clean the system as soon as possible, if there's no chance. i don't get that! if this was an attack, how is it possible to "steal" about 80 gb of data in a few seconds?!? i don't have a "phantasy-speed" internet connection. if someone steals your data, why not just the wallet.dat?

thanks...

maybe virus attack? any chance to get the erased data back? (avira and malwarebyte running non-stop)

Try using the backup of wallet.dat you previously made and let us know what comes up.

giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 05:28:23 PM

hi!

thanks...

Well you may want to check into this thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=725205.new#new

Apparently, the Zipcoin wallet had for a while some sort of backdoor trojan or keylogger or something attached to it, and you mentioned Zipcoin, so there.

bitrex

Activity: 24

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:25:30 PM

Sorry to hear your loss, looks like you're f***d
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: