Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:42:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] rpietila Monero Economics thread  (Read 69977 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 09:57:15 PM

Wave 2 consolidation here?  Where is the volume though?  And is this too bullish?  Plus I am about as gifted at EW as I am astro physics. Wink
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 10:13:59 PM

Great thread, a sudo-economist with a captive audience that will lap it up because it uses words misappropriated from an Introduction to Economics for 1st year Bachelor students.

I once did a few units in sociology, and found that if it appeared that I had swallowed a sociology dictionary, my grades went through the roof.

So tiresome. So easy. No effort required.

You are a moron and add nothing to the conversation. No substance = ignore.

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 10:16:40 PM

Where is the volume though? 
I hear that a lot, just before the market clearing price takes a leg up.  In fact, almost every time, I hear that.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 10:35:00 PM

Great thread, a sudo-economist with a captive audience that will lap it up because it uses words misappropriated from an Introduction to Economics for 1st year Bachelor students.

I once did a few units in sociology, and found that if it appeared that I had swallowed a sociology dictionary, my grades went through the roof.

So tiresome. So easy. No effort required.

Sociology?  That's just warmed over Marxism, a blow-off underwater basket weaving field of pseudo-study best left to scholar-athletes and rich kids who want to party on their way to law school.  I would be embarrassed to get anything but an A, even before making any effort at regurgitating their jargon.  But I'm not surprised it gave you trouble.

The rigor of your Econ 1 class depends on where you go to school.  Mine was designed as a weeder class for intended Econ majors and so was very thorough, while I have no doubt yours was targeted at a much lower caliber of student.   Wink

Please do carry on, it is amusing watching you player hate on the guy with a crypto-castle full of wine, cigars, and blonde ballerinas.   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 11:01:59 PM

And just to be clear, I am not here for Risto, no disrespect for him.  I think of him as a shrewd investor, a bit of an auto didact, and someone who sees trends ahead of the curve, or someone very lucky.

He also relies on collective conversation about these topics.  It is THAT which I, and I would guess most others, are here for.

I am certainly NOT here for trolls.

Ignored.
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 05:19:21 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 05:33:32 AM by 2dogs

Frozen - going to have to apply an emergency patch and roll back to before the corrupted block.
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:21:47 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 06:33:36 AM by Anotheranonlol

Frozen - going to have to apply an emergency patch and roll back to before the corrupted block.

Luckily XMR/BBR window is still open on polo, and hitbtc

drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:17:46 AM

Speaking of short term prices, I am expecting 0.001 - 0.002 range when this gets sorted out.
pinky

Activity: 538
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:37:13 AM

Speaking of short term prices, I am expecting 0.001 - 0.002 range when this gets sorted out.

We shall see, but I doubt people will panic so hard, after all they knew what they are buying - coin still under development and similiar things happened to other coins. But I might be wrong and this is the end.  Grin

████████████▀████▄████████████████▀███▀████████████████▄█
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀█████████████████████▀████████████████████████████
████████▀▀████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████▀███████
      |                  |                  |            
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:45:24 AM

Knowing that you are a supporter, you are just talking to your book. Shame on you!  Grin

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:52:20 AM

Knowing that you are a supporter, you are just talking to your book. Shame on you!  Grin

I imagine that even if this flaw exists throughout all the CryptoNote coins, people will panic when the market unfreezes. Weak hands all around.
statdude
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:53:51 AM

If there is such panic, why no significant dumps on hitbtc or Mintpal?

I doubt there is much dumping so long as the dev team rises to the challenge.

I love dumps. Lots of panic buying on the way back up.

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███████████████████████ █
█ █████     █ ▀██████████ █
█ █████     █   ▀████████ █
█ █████  ██ █     ▀██████ █

█ █████  ▀▀ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█ █████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █████ █
█ █████             █████ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
  Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
  ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███▄    ███████▀   ▄███ █
█ ████▌    █████▀    ████ █
█ ████▌     ███▀     ████ █
█ ████▌▐█    █▀ █    ████ █
█ ████▌▐██     ██    ████ █
█ ████▌▐███   ███    ████ █
█ ███▀  ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:57:38 AM

I'm surprised that the price on mintpal is remaining stable.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 11:43:00 AM

In Poloniex alone, there are 5000+ monero accounts, add all the other exchanges to the number. USA is sleeping. This thread is visited by 100 people. Maybe not BTC->XMR people, but everyone else coming to Monero, has seen forks before and don't care.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 11:52:45 AM

In Poloniex alone, there are 5000+ monero accounts, add all the other exchanges to the number. USA is sleeping. This thread is visited by 100 people. Maybe not BTC->XMR people, but everyone else coming to Monero, has seen forks before and don't care.

Yes, not so worried about the fork, Monero forks/orphans very frequently given the fast blocks, this is the longest fork tong by a big margin, >30 some blocks forked.
It may stimulate some interesting developments in the code for fast block resolution and consolidation.

It would be a good development if fork consolidation were advanced. 
For example if Dead fork tx that were not respent in the live fork before consolidation time may be retransmitted and spent within the good fork without manual intervention.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 01:42:57 PM

Most Monero investors at this stage are seasoned cryptocurrency veterans I believe. I doubt many will panic sell over a fork.

If this was DogeCoin circa Feb., 2014, with a lot of relatively mainstream involvement, it might crash. Monero, OTOH, hasn't even broken the top 10 on coinmarketcap.com yet. We may as well be a fringe enthusiast cult.
Okurkabinladin

Activity: 574
Merit: 506

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 01:53:02 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 02:06:03 PM by Okurkabinladin

Most Monero investors at this stage are seasoned cryptocurrency veterans I believe. I doubt many will panic sell over a fork.

If this was DogeCoin circa Feb., 2014, with a lot of relatively mainstream involvement, it might crash. Monero, OTOH, hasn't even broken the top 10 on coinmarketcap.com yet. We may as well be a fringe enthusiast cult.

Actually, that exactly what we are right now  Wink any ideas on when XMR will be unfrozen?

EDIT: Drawingthesun is right, so what, if majority of XMR holders are bitcoin veterans? Same can be said about virtually any other crypto, that doesn´t preclude volatility, especially in market this small. I´m still very bullish on monero, just not short term.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 02:32:05 PM

Actually, that exactly what we are right now  Wink any ideas on when XMR will be unfrozen?

EDIT: Drawingthesun is right, so what, if majority of XMR holders are bitcoin veterans? Same can be said about virtually any other crypto, that doesn´t preclude volatility, especially in market this small. I´m still very bullish on monero, just not short term.

xmr has been trading in the xmr-denominated markets on poloniex, and against btc on mintpal, but price has not moved significantly.

i don't think this attack will even interrupt the uptrend in any meaningful way.  it may even be a catapult, like SR bust was for BTC.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 02:37:45 PM

xmr has been trading in the xmr-denominated markets on poloniex, and against btc on mintpal, but price has not moved significantly.

i don't think this attack will even interrupt the uptrend in any meaningful way.  it may even be a catapult, like SR bust was for BTC.

I did not think that my respect for the Monero core team could rise any more,

but last night certainly proved me wrong:

Thank you eizh, fluffypony, David, tacotime, NoodleDoodle, othe and smooth!

darlidada

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 02:53:58 PM

i don't think this attack will even interrupt the uptrend in any meaningful way.  it may even be a catapult, like SR bust was for BTC.

I did not think that my respect for the Monero core team could rise any more,

but last night certainly proved me wrong:

Thank you eizh, fluffypony, David, tacotime, NoodleDoodle, othe and smooth!

+1. the fact that xmr devs fixed a bug that extended to every cryptonote coins is incredibly bullish. we should remember this day and celebrate it next year. until then, i'll make a donation within the next 2 days. thank you.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: