Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:36:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] rpietila Monero Economics thread  (Read 69977 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 03:48:37 PM

Can someone give me a rundown on what happend with the bug? What effect did it have on the network?

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 03:56:43 PM

Can someone give me a rundown on what happend with the bug? What effect did it have on the network?

Someone exploited an overflow vulnerability and forked the network. It's fixed now, and there was no real damage done.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 04:12:26 PM

An attacker with extensive knowledge of the Cryptonote code and network spent four days using custom software to lay the subtle groundwork for an attack.

When executed, it combined the preliminary troll transactions into a troll block designed to bypass safeguards and overload the Merkle tree's capacity.

The network split into two forks, because nodes favored the longer but malignant chain.

The exploit was due to the limitations/inappropriate use of the C language, but quickly fixed.

As a result the XMR core team was able to demonstrate an incredible degree of competence, by immediately spotting the problem and rapidly diagnosing/fixing it.

Our friends at BBR, while not acutely affected, also helped in efforts to contain the vulnerability.  The CN community rallied behind the core devs, notified exchanges, and pledged support in the form of donations and buy walls.

Some sleep was lost, but a good time was had by all.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled moonshot.   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:19:53 PM

Wow, looks like some incredible work was done here! Another attacker bites the dust!

Economically speaking, it looks like we bet on the right devs. I couldn't be happier right now.

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:31:16 PM

+1. the fact that xmr devs fixed a bug that extended to every cryptonote coins is incredibly bullish.

if you've tracked the code changes, and their propagation through the coins, you know it is not an isolated incident.  certainly most of the codebases have introduced fixes (and bugs) so there is no monopoly, but if you were to listen to the trolls you would think XMRs core team, and their staff of expert consultants, were the reincarnation of the three stooges.  that could not be more wrong.  what constantly surprises me is their incident and risk management skills. 

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:51:29 PM

+1. the fact that xmr devs fixed a bug that extended to every cryptonote coins is incredibly bullish.

if you've tracked the code changes, and their propagation through the coins, you know it is not an isolated incident.  certainly most of the codebases have introduced fixes (and bugs) so there is no monopoly, but if you were to listen to the trolls you would think XMRs core team, and their staff of expert consultants, were the reincarnation of the three stooges.  that could not be more wrong.  what constantly surprises me is their incident and risk management skills. 

If I did not know and even have met some of them, the determination and skills, combined with the fact that they don't receive any salary (rather actually fund the development from their own pocket, despite being only medium holders), would surely make me suspect that it is a 3-letter-agency plan all along. A comparison to Satoshi is not hard to make.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 04:56:14 PM

Fortune is favoring the bold.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 05:06:41 PM

An attacker with extensive knowledge of the Cryptonote code and network spent four days using custom software to lay the subtle groundwork for an attack.

When executed, it combined the preliminary troll transactions into a troll block designed to bypass safeguards and overload the Merkle tree's capacity.

The network split into two forks, because nodes favored the longer but malignant chain.

Has bitcoin ever undergone any sort of sustained/planned attack like this? This is certainly some dedication.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 05:38:16 PM

Has bitcoin ever undergone any sort of sustained/planned attack like this? This is certainly some dedication.

No.

Satoshi client has passed the test of being on-line for more than 3 years, without a single vulnerability being exploited in the wild.  https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Weaknesses#Security_Vulnerabilities_and_bugs

Entire classes of bugs are missing. But it's just not an anonymous solution, and the devs will say as much.  -Dan Kaminsky

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 07:05:21 PM

suspect that it is a 3-letter-agency plan all along.

Those are fighting words.

A comparison to Satoshi is not hard to make.

I object to that. Satoshi was brilliant and groundbreaking, at least in one instance (beyond than that we don't know). We're just dedicated and have a mix of skills that we combine effectively.

explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 01:12:27 AM

suspect that it is a 3-letter-agency plan all along.

Those are fighting words.

A comparison to Satoshi is not hard to make.

I object to that. Satoshi was brilliant and groundbreaking, at least in one instance (beyond than that we don't know). We're just  dedicated and have a mix of skills that we combine effectively.

The recipe for successful collaborative efforts starts with this.   Cool 
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 03:06:18 AM

I wonder how Bitcoin would have fared in 2010 if Satoshi & Hal had gone rogue and started trying to sabotage it. Monero devs, I salute you!
thefunkybits
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 03:52:12 PM

Well hello there, old friend  Grin

ol92

Activity: 445
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 07:11:35 PM

gmaxwell refute BCX allegation on xmr anonimity potential problem : price increase ...
This will be epic probably (both price war and discussion on https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=786201.msg8892342#msg8892342
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 08:18:53 PM

Here I post the link to an interesting 3-page thread I've been contributing to: What coin has the best distribution.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 11:05:11 PM

gmaxwell refute BCX allegation on xmr anonimity potential problem : price increase ...
This will be epic probably (both price war and discussion on https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=786201.msg8892342#msg8892342

Both seemed relatively insignificant, although neither is necessarily 100% over.

rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 10:21:31 AM

My newest thoughts about monetary economics, plus exhortation to find a new initial coin distribution paradigm.

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 01:35:54 AM

You should have went all in on Jackpot coin and not XMR as you said in your first post ;)
JPC is going to the MOON !

here is some economics info you may find interesting..
Going all in in on one coin rather than spreading out your investments is what ???
sort of contradicts and violates what you said in your first post doesn't it ?

or am i off base here and you have other coins your invested in besides Monero and Bitcoin ?
If so what are they if you don't mind me asking ?

FUD first & ask questions later™
Come-In-Behind

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 02:06:57 AM

You should have went all in on Jackpot coin and not XMR as you said in your first post Wink

Going all in in on one coin rather than spreading out your investments is what Huh

or am i off base here and you have other coins your invested in besides Monero and Bitcoin ?

I find it best to invest in only a few coins, around 2-4. Anything more and it becomes too spread out and hectic for my tastes...Plus, the more money you pile into one coin, the higher the return you get if/when it takes off(also the higher risk). But yea, it's safer, in my view, to invest in a very small selection of alt coins rather than a large amount like I see some people doing(I also trade manually, no bots are used or anything, so this is just my opinion).
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 02:42:08 AM

You should have went all in on Jackpot coin and not XMR as you said in your first post Wink

Going all in in on one coin rather than spreading out your investments is what Huh

I find it best to invest in only a few coins, around 2-4. Anything more and it becomes too spread out and hectic for my tastes...Plus, the more money you pile into one coin, the higher the return you get if/when it takes off(also the higher risk). But yea, it's safer, in my view, to invest in a very small selection of alt coins rather than a large amount like I see some people doing(I also trade manually, no bots are used or anything, so this is just my opinion).

agreed but did you read what he said in his first post ?
and how it contradicts the typical advice given to noobs around the scene ?
me i have never subscribed to that concept and i have told noobs that..
as in i tell them this is what i am suppose to tell you but honestly i don't follow it myself LOL
and ya 2 to 4 for me too i agree !

FUD first & ask questions later™
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: