Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:58:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FPGA Rig Photos  (Read 43750 times)
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
May 19, 2012, 04:54:18 PM

hi,

has anyone use a tp-link mr3420 with open-wrt to run a and control ztex boards ?

regards
pazor

My link should work for you. It's a mipsel processor so the binary should work. Have a bash and see how far you get. Let me know what changes you have to make.

Quote from: tarrant_01 on Today at 06:00:29 AM
I'd like to see a picture of how to hook up a single to a power supply instead of using the brick that comes with them.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=67819.msg809820#msg809820
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0

It's almost concerning how warm the cables get, even the PSU cables. I guess pulling 7A will do that!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
May 19, 2012, 05:48:07 PM

Hey P_Shep do you think I could get the dd_wrt running with cgminer on a linksys E2000?  It has half the ram and the chip runs at 354Mhz compared to the E3000.  I didn't want to start flashing and risk bricking if there was not going to be enough resources to do this.

It's almost concerning how warm the cables get, even the PSU cables. I guess pulling 7A will do that!

Are you still running those spliced 18AWG cables?  I have not noticed any unusual temperatures with the better insulated versions that I make 16 or 18AWG.  I have noticed some warmth on the cables from the PSU side.  They must really use some cheap wire to make these. Grin

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
May 19, 2012, 06:28:41 PM

18AWG all the way from the PSU to the BFL. The splice is the last thing to get warm. Are there PSUs that use 16AWG?

You'll not brick the router running cgminer on it. It doesn't re-write the firmware or anything. CGMiner uses so little resourses I'm sure it'll be fine. Try it and see.
shackleford

Activity: 281
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 02:59:48 PM

Temps are (bottom to top) 33-36-36-37-38-38 @70f ambient. I will be playing with improving the cooling and adding more boards in the future.
TheHarbinger

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Why is it so damn hot in here?

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 03:03:53 PM

Temps are (bottom to top) 33-36-36-37-38-38 @70f ambient. I will be playing with improving the cooling and adding more boards in the future.

I like it.  Are you getting any wicking effect of the oil seeping up the cables at all?  I had an oil cooled build (not a miner) a few years back and I found that I had to run the cables straight up about a foot and a half to stop the wicking.

12Um6jfDE7q6crm1s6tSksMvda8s1hZ3Vj
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 03:05:28 PM

I like it.  Are you getting any wicking effect of the oil seeping up the cables at all?  I had an oil cooled build (not a miner) a few years back and I found that I had to run the cables straight up about a foot and a half to stop the wicking.

Had that problem to but as u can see there no wire going into the oil. Its separated by the hub at the top of the miner?

shackleford

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 03:45:13 PM

The hub and power splitter were origionaly hot glued to the back of the removable plank of acrylic the miner cards are attached to (like a blade). The Oil does not play nice with the hot glue and has essentialy deteriorated it and I had to remove the hub from the "blade" to troublsoot an issue.   I did have wicking but I have not put much effort into getting rid of it yet since it is pretty minimal and I have been messing arround with it. I have seprate  connectors for both the power and USB and I plan to make a connetor box on the back and epoxy seal everything on the oil side to eliminate seepage.
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 04:58:31 PM

what kind of oil is that? talk about liquid cooling... Cheesy

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
shackleford

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 06:02:08 PM

Tech grade mineral oil http://store.steoil.com/crystal-plus-tech-grade-mineral-oil-70t-5-gal/
Inspector 2211

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 06:09:23 PM

Tech grade mineral oil http://store.steoil.com/crystal-plus-tech-grade-mineral-oil-70t-5-gal/

A veterinarian uses this kind of oil to try to clear a colic (colon blockage) in a horse.
I saw a vet do that.
Thus, in other words, you could use it as a laxative, if you wanted.  Grin

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
BTC-GREEN       ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
 ▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
Ecological Community in the Green Planet
❱❱❱❱❱❱     WHITEPAGE   |   ANN THREAD     ❰❰❰❰❰❰
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 07:15:21 PM

A veterinarian uses this kind of oil to try to clear a colic (colon blockage) in a horse.
I saw a vet do that.
Thus, in other words, you could use it as a laxative, if you wanted.  Grin

Inspector,

This oil also meets USDA requirements for H-1 lubricants for incidental food contact

I don't think it would be a good idea to take a glass of it Smiley

spiccioli.
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 07:18:31 PM

very interesting, the oil set up... with those temps it seems like a much moe effcient way to run a rig compared to air or standard liquid cooling. unless i'm missing something obvious.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
shackleford

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 08:31:46 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2012, 08:46:43 PM by shackleford

very interesting, the oil set up... with those temps it seems like a much moe effcient way to run a rig compared to air or standard liquid cooling. unless i'm missing something obvious.

It is good for the amount of cards/surface area & amount of oil I have right now, however the more cards I add the more creative I will need to be to keep the temps down. Expanding to a metal lid with heatsinks on top and bottom is my first step. Doing something large scale could be more cost effective then purchasing a large number of waterblocks and it cools the whole card. IDK..If I had the money to buy a large number of FPGAs I would probably design an enclosure just large enough house all the FPGAs then run a the oil through a loop going through a 55galon drum of water with a radiator in it and then possibly cool the water if needed (or something funky). I don't think air is bad, my temps were low 30's across the board with a good copper heatsink and a single fan each.
grubles

Activity: 180

mistaken for gribble since 2011

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 08:49:14 PM

My face after reading this thread:

BM-NBi5PcH8BBqDVp7WSJe2pNgqEVvTjd6T
cuz0882

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 01:58:51 AM

Oil can absorb more heat then air but that's it. It may cool the rig for a day or so while the oil heats up. After that, the oil will not have any effect. I don't really know what this guy is thinking. He must think the oil traps the heat and then stores it in another dimension.
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 02:47:48 AM

Oil can absorb more heat then air but that's it. It may cool the rig for a day or so while the oil heats up. After that, the oil will not have any effect. I don't really know what this guy is thinking. He must think the oil traps the heat and then stores it in another dimension.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Sorry had to post this but it was TOO funny Cheesy

Also, anybody have received a setup of yohan's Cairnsmore boards in the wild ( except glasswalker guy ) ?

They look very nice indeed !
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 03:06:34 AM

Oil can absorb more heat then air but that's it. It may cool the rig for a day or so while the oil heats up. After that, the oil will not have any effect. I don't really know what this guy is thinking. He must think the oil traps the heat and then stores it in another dimension.

It wouldn't be hard to run some copper tubing in that space and run water through it and a radiator if there isn't enough surface area to disburse the heat.  Plus 6 FPGAs isn't a whole lot of power.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
shackleford

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 04:18:26 AM
Last edit: June 05, 2012, 05:42:05 PM by shackleford

The temps I posted were after running a few days..2 weeks later and the temps are the same. So where you think the heat is going ..?  (perhaps another dimension) Oil transfers the heat to its container with a large surface area and dissipates. Not sure why I responded to such a dumb comment.
BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 09:31:46 PM

Only one out of the 20 Ztex FPGAs is broken. Not sure why it's not performing, but given the amount of unskilled electronics work performed by me (I've never done anything like this before), I'd put user error as the most likely reason, rather than any problem with Stefan's boards. If anything, I'm hugely impressed with how robust his kit is. It's expensive, but it's clear that you get what you pay for with Ztex.

i fully agree to that Smiley  One of my singles died and i can't explain it. Maybe i did something to it while moving them; got an replacement after sending it in.

Ill stick to Ztex for a while. I like what i get for my money. Even if ETs Bitstream won't work with them!   

Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 10:59:52 PM

Snip...

That is just sexy sexy sexy there catfish. I love the large setup, it is just so clean.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: