Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:31:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Arizona killer Joseph Wood dies almost two hours after execution begins  (Read 1872 times)
shogdite

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

LIR Dev. www.letitride.io

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 01:55:04 PM

No state has the right to kill its citizens, having said that, think I'd prefer the firing squad than choking to death slowly for 2 hours.

Almost seems like they're putting down an animal

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tsoPANos

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

In math we trust.

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 03:16:27 PM

I don't think this is going to change.
it's just a fact. The threat of death reduces the criminality rate in the US.
It should be implemented in EU to.
Hell-raiser

Activity: 462
Merit: 515

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 03:19:21 PM

As I know, there were studies that claim that the threat of death penalty doesn't reduce criminality rates. It is the inevitability of punishment that does (and not necessarily of death penalty). To avoid futile discussion, let's compare numbers of willful killings in the EU and the US (per unit population indeed).

Anyone got these figures?
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 03:26:33 PM

As a physician I've spent time trying to undue the damage that assholes like this cause.  The only cruel and unusual punishment is the agonizing wait the victim's families have to endure.  I say run him over with a car a couple times for good measure.

Why do we give medals to people that kill in the name of "honour"
Then kill those that kill in the heat of emotion?

I suppose if this man killed the person that was in the middle of raping his daughter this would be an awesome out come as well?
bitsmichel

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:47:25 PM

As I know, there were studies that claim that the threat of death penalty doesn't reduce criminality rates. It is the inevitability of punishment that does (and not necessarily of death penalty). To avoid futile discussion, let's compare numbers of willful killings in the EU and the US (per unit population indeed).

Anyone got these figures?

A mad person won't stop killing just because of a death threat. For example, there used to be a famous serial killer in the Ukraine who got off on killing people.

No state has the right to kill its citizens, having said that, think I'd prefer the firing squad than choking to death slowly for 2 hours.

Almost seems like they're putting down an animal

A firing squad is way more humane.

As a physician I've spent time trying to undue the damage that assholes like this cause.  The only cruel and unusual punishment is the agonizing wait the victim's families have to endure.  I say run him over with a car a couple times for good measure.

The state or politicians traditionally got into power trough violence. In order to stay in power, they need violence - because their words of mouth are not strong enough.

In one situation people kill and get medals, you are right. They usually have a lot of problems to adapt to the non-killer life after coming back to the US. Anyway they get medals because they did it in favour of a small interest group, who gains more profits and powers trough their actions.

noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:58:14 PM

The irony is, all these modern methods of execution were probably conceived of to appease the anti-death penalty crowd. No they moan about how long it takes. Would you be happier if we went back to hanging or firing squads? If so, say so.

stevegreer
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Official Zeitcoin community ambassador

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:14:05 PM

I suppose if this man killed the person that was in the middle of raping his daughter this would be an awesome out come as well?

I assume when you say "medals to people that kill in the name of 'honour'" that you are talking about military. Being in the military myself I will tell you that there is a huge difference in killing an enemy combatant to achieve a successful mission, to protect yourself or others and what this idiotic low-life did by killing two innocent people in cold blood. A huge difference.

umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:24:31 PM

So now our nation has regressed from a modern, progressive country to a middle ages country where we not only have to execute people but we also have to torture them in the process. Nobody can tell me that they don't know how to execute people but they may be dysfunctional in Arizona where they have the likes of Joe Arpaio, who probably would have been run out of the old west, who treats prisoners like serfs that owed a debt to the vicaire in the dark ages. Where he fits I don't know, but it isn't anywhere in America of the free. It is more likely in about 13th century France or Spain where they treated prisoners like this and tortured many people as well as executed them. Not only are the police shooting people down in the US now in a wholesale manner but prisoners are also dying at a record rate in prison. Now they are torturing them in an act that ends in death. Maybe a sign of the cross for both the people that do this and the ones who are the recipients is in order!

zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:32:07 PM

It's time to return to hanging. It's clear the state doesn't even have the skill to provide an execution that amounts to a botched anesthetic. Aside from lethal injection, hanging is most humane. While the victim dies of asphyxiation, consciousness is lost in a fraction of a second after a complete high spinal cord transaction. Just use the tables, to figure out how far to drop the prisoner after weighing him, put the knot under the left chin and go. Lethal injection CAN be elegant, quick, and painless, but it requires a tiny bit of skill...

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:49:26 PM

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/23/arizona-killer-still-alive-an-hour-after-execution-begins

<< Convicted killer "gasped and snorted" as officials attempted to execute him, as lawyers filed an emergency motion to halt the process. >>
While I don't agree with capital punishment, if the state is going to kill somebody by execution then they shouldn't lower themselves to the level of the most sadistic killers and torture somebody for two hours before killing him.
Hell-raiser

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 06:47:58 PM

The irony is, all these modern methods of execution were probably conceived of to appease the anti-death penalty crowd. No they moan about how long it takes. Would you be happier if we went back to hanging or firing squads? If so, say so.

We the anti-death penalty crowd would only be happy if the capital "punishment" (death penalty is not a form of punishment, to begin with) was totally abolished. There is no interim state that would be called "happier".
stevegreer
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Official Zeitcoin community ambassador

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:31:58 PM

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/23/arizona-killer-still-alive-an-hour-after-execution-begins

<< Convicted killer "gasped and snorted" as officials attempted to execute him, as lawyers filed an emergency motion to halt the process. >>
While I don't agree with capital punishment, if the state is going to kill somebody by execution then they shouldn't lower themselves to the level of the most sadistic killers and torture somebody for two hours before killing him.

I like the yellow sign the guy is holding that says, "no one deserves to die." I'm sure the family of the murdered victims think the same about their loved ones. They didn't deserve to die. The murderer... not so much.

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:50:59 PM

So now our nation has regressed from a modern, progressive country to a middle ages country where we not only have to execute people but we also have to torture them in the process. Nobody can tell me that they don't know how to execute people but they may be dysfunctional in Arizona where they have the likes of Joe Arpaio, who probably would have been run out of the old west, who treats prisoners like serfs that owed a debt to the vicaire in the dark ages. Where he fits I don't know, but it isn't anywhere in America of the free. It is more likely in about 13th century France or Spain where they treated prisoners like this and tortured many people as well as executed them. Not only are the police shooting people down in the US now in a wholesale manner but prisoners are also dying at a record rate in prison. Now they are torturing them in an act that ends in death. Maybe a sign of the cross for both the people that do this and the ones who are the recipients is in order!

Clearly you have never been the victim of a rape.  Your carefree attitude that all can be forgiven and forgotten should stay in preschool while you hold hands and sing.

I had the unfortunate opportunity to be the attending physician to a woman and child who had their heads beaten in by a table lamp from a robber.  The child died, the woman was in a coma for about 2 months and then started rehab.  What do you think we should do with the attacker?  Deport him to an island like Australia?  Give him a house and public assistance so he won't have to steal?  Or just release him to kill others (he murdered 3 people before the 2 I saw)?

Your enlightenment has no solution, only critique  Roll Eyes
Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:56:13 PM

The article fails to mention that he was sedated the whole time. Aka sleeping. He was snoring. Not gasping for air.

Either way, the dude murdered two people in cold blood. I would give zero shits if he spent the last minutes of his life suffering. Deserves every bit of it.

Same here, I could care less if it lasted 10 hours instead of 2.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 01:16:23 AM

These people are generally animals that deserve to die but I don't trust the state to decide who lives and who dies. The power to take life is the ultimate destruction of freedom.

imBLACKjack

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 01:23:10 AM

These people are generally animals that deserve to die but I don't trust the state to decide who lives and who dies. The power to take life is the ultimate destruction of freedom.
The state did not decide, the jury did. The state only decided to try to pursue having him killed.

I agree that he very much got what he deserved.
iflewtoday32

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 05:35:33 AM

That is not how it works. A jury of the defendants peers decide who lives and dies. They were well aware of what would be the result of a guilty verdict. The defendant was well aware of what the result could be if he murdered two people.

Signature space for sale
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 06:21:40 AM

Arizona lawyers lead call for inquiry into Joseph Wood's two-hour execution

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/24/arizona-lawyer-independent-inquiry-woods-two-hour-execution

<< Repblican senator John McCain describes botched execution as "torture" as controversy intensifies about death penalty drug secrecy. >>
Hell-raiser

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 06:35:09 AM

Clearly you have never been the victim of a rape.  Your carefree attitude that all can be forgiven and forgotten should stay in preschool while you hold hands and sing.

I had the unfortunate opportunity to be the attending physician to a woman and child who had their heads beaten in by a table lamp from a robber.  The child died, the woman was in a coma for about 2 months and then started rehab.  What do you think we should do with the attacker?  Deport him to an island like Australia?  Give him a house and public assistance so he won't have to steal?  Or just release him to kill others (he murdered 3 people before the 2 I saw)?

Your enlightenment has no solution, only critique  Roll Eyes

First of all, you can't be 100% sure that the guy convicted was the villain behind these crimes (even if he pleaded guilty, showed where he had buried the corpses, etc). Secondly, serving lifetime in prison is not much different from a death penalty in the aspect of freeing society from the murderer (that's the sole viable reason behind capital punishment) with that only difference you can always revert the situation if there are new facts found proving the convicted as innocent.

And you don't even consider the society's guilt in bringing up a criminal.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 08:42:39 AM

Clearly you have never been the victim of a rape.  Your carefree attitude that all can be forgiven and forgotten should stay in preschool while you hold hands and sing.

I had the unfortunate opportunity to be the attending physician to a woman and child who had their heads beaten in by a table lamp from a robber.  The child died, the woman was in a coma for about 2 months and then started rehab.  What do you think we should do with the attacker?  Deport him to an island like Australia?  Give him a house and public assistance so he won't have to steal?  Or just release him to kill others (he murdered 3 people before the 2 I saw)?

Your enlightenment has no solution, only critique  Roll Eyes

I think we should be making self-defence laws clear and understandable so that people don't have to be scared of defending themselves in their own homes never mind out in the streets, but good luck doing that when governments want to leave us as defenceless as possible. In a kill or be killed situation I'd never say don't defend yourself like some people would ( Those are the ones who are truly naive and usually have armed protection going around with them ), but going "Hurr durr, death to all criminals" just makes you a murderer yourself whether you agree with that assessment or not and I'm someone who firmly believes in the idea of self-defence.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: