Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 09:09:08 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adapting Gitian.  (Read 724 times)
kruug (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 12:09:15 AM

Is there documentation on how to build an altcoin with gitian and/or how to adapt bitcoin's contrib/config files to use gitian with altcoins?
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 05:19:13 AM

Why are you posting this in the Beginners section? I bet you'd find better success if you posted this in the alt currencies or technical sections of the forum.

Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 08:06:33 AM
Last edit: July 25, 2014, 09:53:31 AM by Dare

Is the altcoin a clone of a coin with a working Gitian setup? If so, all you should have to do is update the git repository URL in the gitian descriptor files to refer to your new coin, and it should build properly.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
kruug (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 02:09:22 PM

Is the altcoin a clone of a coin with a working Gitian setup?

No, it is not.  I am attempting to introduce gitian into the coin.
Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 05:36:22 AM

Is the altcoin a clone of a coin with a working Gitian setup?
No, it is not.  I am attempting to introduce gitian into the coin.

If you have Gitian working on your computer already (e.g. you can build Bitcoin with it) you could try copying the files under Bitcoin's contrib/gitian-descriptors and modifying the repository URL and any necessary dependencies in them. There isn't anything Gitian-specific in Bitcoin's source, so the correct descriptors should be all you need to get it to work.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
coinsolidation

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 06:44:48 AM

Is there documentation on how to build an altcoin with gitian and/or how to adapt bitcoin's contrib/config files to use gitian with altcoins?

No. But you may freely use and clone Pfennig, it's the latest Bitcoin forked and moved to scrypt, fully tested, and it gitian builds. I released it freely exactly for this requirement. It will also be updated to each tagged bitcoin release, and also merge upstream tagged releases from Bitmark, so you get the best of all worlds.

Check the commit history to see the applicable changes you may need to make to another code base.

Hint if it's for a fork of an old codebase/clone you are going to have significant work, you may be better to apply any changes to Pfennig, if you do each feature as a pull request then we could build a repository that enables any coin developer to apply patches to the base code and configure a safe modern alt coin. Instead of the existing old rubbish.

Best regards, and if you need assistance with forking pfennig I will do what I can to help.

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: