Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 11:47:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: what is going on? is everyone on vacation or something?  (Read 1437 times)
boxuser (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Credits CRD 1st Decentralized Exchange coin

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 06:27:53 PM

what is going on? is everyone on vacation or something?

stuff just keeps dropping more and more, in generally my portfolio is down like ~60% since last month

TiberiuC

Activity: 311

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 06:32:47 PM

Volume is less than half it was 2 months ago.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 06:43:47 PM

whales are on vacation spending scammed btc
boxuser (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 06:44:39 PM

damn that is exactly how it looks like

whales are on vacation spending scammed btc

thrax

Activity: 253
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 06:46:46 PM

Maybe everybody is either spending their time and money on summer holidays, or desperately short of cash after they get back home.
boxuser (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 07:09:41 PM

hrmm everything is possible i guess, maybe next month will be better

Maybe everybody is either spending their time and money on summer holidays, or desperately short of cash after they get back home.

Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 08:50:53 PM

stuff just keeps dropping more and more, in generally my portfolio is down like ~60% since last month

Welcome to my old world...namely, penny stock speculation.

The gold-exploration penny stock I ended up making the most $ with, went absolutely nowhere for a year after I first bought in. (March of '09.) If I wanted to, I could have examined their books like a venture capitalist, got a complete tour of the abandoned mine they planned to (and did) open, looked at all their rock samples, blew a thousand bucks on bar bills to entertain their geologists, and after all that due-diligence work I could have bought more at the same price.

Actually, I did buy more over the course of that year. At the end, I was all-in.

True, it was a boring wait and I did have to find something else to do with myself while I cooled my jets. But when the wait was over, I walked out with a double and could have gotten a quadruple if I had been disciplined enough to stick to my original plan.

The above vignette might not help, but it does indicate the environment where a guy like me ends up thriving.

It's made easier by taking these two rules to heart:
1) "I'll end up being compensated for being bored and depressed";
2) "The boring wait time is easier if I find something to occupy myself."

Case in point: Reddcoin. I bought some in the second stage of the IPCO, bought more at 8 satoshis, bought some more at 5 and was aching to buy even more. During the long slow grind, I clubbed around here but I also poked through some source code while I was cooling my heels. RDD took the longest time to wake up, but wake up it did.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

atoni

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 10:09:58 AM

Bitcoin isnt making any more news of people making money with it so there is less new fiat in crypto. Alts get even less attention as they are only used to gamble on to increase your btc holdings.

IMO only coins that actually solve some issues will be worth. So far even BTC didnt solve any major issue so entire scene looks quite grin at the moment.

But it could be summer time is influencing too, old saying says Sell in May and go away.
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 10:32:31 AM

There's at least 300+ alternates to Bitcoin right now and almost all of them are gambles (or scams) to increase your BTC holdings.  The honest few are so small in capitalization that they receive little attention.

It'll be years until we find out whether any alternates can rival or surpass Bitcoin.

The prospect for alternates seem largely dependent on Bitcoin.  Like if crypto currencies hit $1 trillion someday

(investment gold is $2 trillion, $37 trillion investments worldwide, $400 trillion derivative bubble, dot com in late 1990s was $7 trillion)

then the good few alternates might have $1 - $50 billion each, while King Bitcoin has $750 billion capitalization.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
Coinshot

Activity: 521
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 10:41:07 AM

Wrong investments will do that. Have relatively safe investments like BTC.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

boxuser (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 12:18:54 PM

nice keep em coming the opinions i like to see what everyone thinks

asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 12:21:00 PM

Volume is less than half it was 2 months ago.

this!

it's summertime, markets slows down
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 12:41:59 PM

I think everyone is realizing that every alt coin is/was pumped by organized groups. Once the organizers finish their pumping volume starts to dry up price starts to stagnate and everyone begins to slowly sell off. Look @ the volume on DRK, that should tell you everything.
darkota

Activity: 770

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 12:45:27 PM

There's at least 300+ alternates to Bitcoin right now and almost all of them are gambles (or scams) to increase your BTC holdings.  The honest few are so small in capitalization that they receive little attention.

It'll be years until we find out whether any alternates can rival or surpass Bitcoin.

The prospect for alternates seem largely dependent on Bitcoin.  Like if crypto currencies hit $1 trillion someday

(investment gold is $2 trillion, $37 trillion investments worldwide, $400 trillion derivative bubble, dot com in late 1990s was $7 trillion)

then the good few alternates might have $1 - $50 billion each, while King Bitcoin has $750 billion capitalization.

You do realize that every bitcoin bubble or bull run in the past was because of a trading bot buying bitcoin with fake/nonexistent cash on mtgox.....

Truth be told, if there was no bot buying up bit coins illegally, then the price of one bitcoin would be less than $1 by now.

Bitcoin will never see anything above a 20 billion dollar marketplace cap. That's for sure, in fact,  some alt coins  have more of a chance of surpassing bitcoin quite easily and truly have a high market cap, in the trillions.
Nullu

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 12:46:56 PM

Too many coins, BTC spread too thin, a downward trend because it's harder and harder to make a dishonest buck pumping and dumping crapcoins.

The alt crypto scene is dying a slow death.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
rokkyroad
Legendary

Activity: 1090

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 09:50:35 PM

Too many coins. Too many scams. Too many pump&dumps.

The end result:    People lose money and leave. Never to return. Less and less btc invested.

Personally, I just sit on my btc and a few altcoins waiting for better times. Does not pay to invest in a failing market.

" If you have to spam and shout to justify your existence then you are a shit coin."  TaunSew
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 09:55:48 PM

Summer + a handful of actually good coins in a sea of hundreds of scam coins.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 12:06:58 AM

Are you sure that you picked quality? Is there a game-changer - a catalyst - for the coins you're bagholding that gives you confidence in those coins' future?

I have one - one that I'm riding a greater than 90% loss on - and the catalyst in its case was a community takeover to eliminate a controversial premine and the controversial dev who seems to have vanished.

I sized up the community members beforehand, and felt confident that they could maintain the coin and build its ecosystem over the long term. I also watched its price and saw it slowly shake off its lows. Even though it's well above its bottom now, it's still way way below the price at which I bought in.

I had 0.5 BTC to spare, which I sent up to Bittrex earlier today. With it, I placed a big bid at a close-to-ask price. Not right at the ask, but well above the then-high bid.

That 0.5 BTC was one-sixth of the amount I had originally sunk in. If my whole bid goes through at my price - which I had to up by a teeny bit because at least one other got the same idea - I'll end up with 2.75 times my original stake. 1/6th the BTC for 1.75 X the coins: doing the math will show how much I'm down as of now.

But, as I said, I'm confident that this coin is going to turn around. The general lull, as well as the general cloud this coin is still under, have combined to give me a chance to add to my stake at a much cheaper price. In stock-market lingo, I'm "averaging down."

Just a warning: Although I've had some prior luck with averaging down, it's well known to be a perilous and risky maneuver. It's also known as "throwing good money after bad." Had I done so with Juggalo Coin - there was a time I was tempted to do so - I would have been entirely wasting the BTC. Thankfully, I refrained from buying more Jugglao Coin because there wasn't any catalyst. The dev had deserted and there was no community takeover to look over. No catalyst, no throwing any good BTC after bad.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be thinking that I have a real judgment call ahead of me. Which coins in my bagholding bag are a write-off, which have potential but are kinda iffy, and which have a solid catalyst that rates averaging down through buying more and lowering the cost basis?

One thing about speculation: if you go bargain hunting, you have to be awfully choosy.

Now, I know I'm not you - I know I can't even play you all that well on the Internet  Smiley - but if you don't mind a little more nattering, I suggest that it's time to give your portfolio a serious look-over with an eye to pruning. Sorry about your losses, but there is a time for salvage too. Some BTC is better than none.  Smiley     

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 01:43:00 AM

[FACT] End of month dumping..

FUD first & ask questions later™
V500

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 02:48:32 AM

80% of players were whiped out by scams and left the scene. In the end the only survivors in here will be like 20 paranoids who then own all the non-scamcoins  Cheesy

lowest inflation in town: Unobtanium
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=527500.0
Learn from history: Unfair money always fails
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: