Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:12:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: monero vs BBR ?  (Read 2730 times)
cryptohunter (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 11:05:49 PM

3 people including 1 die hard dark coin supporter has told me the dev of BBR is the  one to watch.

I have a few xmr and bbr but can't decide which is the best bet at the current price.

Most of the talk is about xmr though so put half in each or go all in on xmr?

r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 11:44:44 PM

3 people including 1 die hard dark coin supporter has told me the dev of BBR is the  one to watch.

I have a few xmr and bbr but can't decide which is the best bet at the current price.

Most of the talk is about xmr though so put half in each or go all in on xmr?

BOOLBERRY is purposely flawed in order to be exploited with a  gpu. just look at the code.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
drawingthemoon

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 12:58:44 AM

Do not put all your eggs in one basket. But "Divergents" like you are a threat to the "system" lol You must conform with only one choice!!  Not many BBR threads in the main alt section, so I am sure not a lot of people even know the differences. Their PR sucks, but even I have read and did some research on the dev(s) before buying the coins and can see some quality work.

@r3wt

Can you please elaborate on this GPU exploit? I might have missed this in their ANN thread.

Am I spamming? Report me!
darkota

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 01:03:40 AM

Boolberry has an instamine of over 100k coins at least, by that guy with the PGPU, getting previously 5-7k coins per day, now getting above 4k+ coins per day since the difficulty drop again. He probably has over 200k boolberrys by now, especially since hes been mining for months.

I dont know why anyone would even buy that coin. Its instamine is similar(though not as severe) as Darkcoins instamine.

Boolberry is able to be instamined with a PGPU, because it uses the Wild Keccak algo, instead of Cryptonight, which xmr and the other cryptonote coins use.
drawingthemoon

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 01:10:31 AM

How can we discuss the positives of both coins and see what the differences are there?

I have read this instamine by a certain miner allegation. I then read about Botnets mining Monero and this discussion was getting masked by cheerleaders, which is why I started looking at other CN coins.

Negatives
=======

BBR has been mined by a miner who specializes in writing GPU miners (years or experience starting with BTC, LTC etc)
XMR has been mined by 2 large Botnet operators amongst other malware purchasable on HackForums (100s of thousands of overall supply to date)

Positives
=======

Lets start adding them here.

hodlmybtc

Activity: 700

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 01:13:35 AM

Definately Monero.

Compared to Monero BBR has pretty low volume, along with the instamine it should be an obvious choice.

Also Monero has a pretty big community, lots of big names are in Monero, most of them don't buy altcoins but they do buy Monero.

Poloniex recently replaced their LTC markets with XMR markets so it's definately not just a simple shitcoin.

https://www.poloniex.com/press-releases/2014.07.23-Poloniex-Welcomes-New-Monero-XMR-Markets

To comment on the botnet argument: First of all I don't know if it's true and even if it's true noone cares who mines the coins, it's either dumped by a lot of individuals to pay for mining costs etc. or it's dumped by one or two botnet operators, noone really cares, if anything it shows that there is a lot of interest in the coin.
darkota

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 01:15:34 AM

How can we discuss the positives of both coins and see what the differences are there?

I have read this instamine by a certain miner allegation. I then read about Botnets mining Monero and this discussion was getting masked by cheerleaders, which is why I started looking at other CN coins.

Negatives
=======

BBR has been mined by a miner who specializes in writing GPU miners (years or experience starting with BTC, LTC etc)
XMR has been mined by 2 large Botnet operators amongst other malware purchasable on HackForums (100s of thousands of overall supply to date)

Positives
=======

The largest confirmed botnet owner for xmr only had 20 cpu's under his control...That is hardly anything tbh. Only 11% of all XMR's have been mined, and there is no instamine, you can check by on monerochain.org

Boolberry is a different story, it has a confirmed PGPU miner who is confirmed to make over 4,000 Boolberry per day at currency hashrate, and was making 5,000-7,000 per day just a month ago. Lowest he was making, was 1,000 per day(which is still very high) during the pump, so he at least has over 200,000 Boolberry by now, making that a HUGE instamine BTW, Boolberry has a PGPU miner AND Botnets
drawingthemoon

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 01:25:37 AM

Folks, Instamining/centralized mining/botnet mining these tend to lose any impact on the coins lives. Artforz was known to have mined 100s of thousands of LTC, along with BCX and a few others. IT IS NOT A VALID POINT TO DISCUSS. Even if it is, please stop garbaging this thread with negativity.

Compared to Monero BBR has pretty low volume, along with the instamine it should be an obvious choice.

noone cares who mines the coins, it's either dumped by a lot of individuals to pay for mining costs etc. or it's dumped by one or two botnet operators, noone really cares,

See what you did there? Contradicted yourself. I started reading about this type of typical arguments and started looking into BBR.

It looks like you have bought into a certain coin, and now will have to inevitably live the life of a cheerleader. You make your decision based on who else is buying the coin(which isn't bad per se), but it can bite you back in the arse.

Now who is knowledgeable to list positives of these two coins. Constant negativity is not going to help.

hodlmybtc

Activity: 700

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 01:38:02 AM

Folks, Instamining/centralized mining/botnet mining these tend to lose any impact on the coins lives. Artforz was known to have mined 100s of thousands of LTC, along with BCX and a few others. IT IS NOT A VALID POINT TO DISCUSS. Even if it is, please stop garbaging this thread with negativity.

noone cares who mines the coins, it's either dumped by a lot of individuals to pay for mining costs etc. or it's dumped by one or two botnet operators, noone really cares,

See what you did there? Contradicted yourself. I started reading about this type of typical arguments and started looking into BBR.

It looks like you have bought into a certain coin, and now will have to inevitably live the life of a cheerleader. You make your decision based on who else is buying the coin(which isn't bad per se), but it can bite you back in the arse.

Now who is knowledgeable to list positives of these two coins. Constant negativity is not going to help.

I never contradicted myself, you really seem to miss the point.

I should mention though that I forgot to add that Monero might be mined by one or two botnets ALONGSIDE with many individuals, this is really something else than one person with a PGPU miner who now probably has ~25% of the BBR coins out there who can dump the coin to 0 satoshi, the distribution of Monero and Boolberry is completely different and is this is definately in favor of Monero.

It definately looks like you bought into a certain coin (BBR duh) and you are living the life of a cheerleader, I posted simple facts you can't deny.

Also I listed a couple positives off the top of my head but it seems that you have a hard time reading/interpretating.
darkota

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 01:40:31 AM
Last edit: July 28, 2014, 01:57:02 AM by darkota

Botnets dont have much of an effect, that is true, since it's known that the majority of them dump anyway. But when it comes to truly unfair instamines, like Boolberrys instamine with PGPU's(which is still going on), in which the instaminer holds his/her coins, that hinders the coin Immensely(it wont ever get accepted by store, regular joe, etc) since one person has gained unfairly, a huge amount of coins, especially since BBR has a slower emission rate than XMR, that only makes the instamine much worse.
drawingthemoon

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 01:49:37 AM

Negatives
=======

Positives
=======

Positives
=======

XMR

• Monero has a pretty big community, lots of big names are in Monero, most of them don't buy altcoins but they do buy Monero.
  • Poloniex recently replaced their LTC markets with XMR markets so it's definately not just a simple shitcoin.

BBR

• Has an official GUI wallet.
  • Can send/receive to aliases

Anyone know more details about the technical achievements of both coins, please report and discuss. Want some good CN information coming out of this thread. Thanks OP!

drawingthemoon

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 01:57:09 AM

Reserved.

r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 02:01:49 AM

The subject of this thread was which coin was a better investment(subjective). The op mentioned that someone "swore by" the BBR dev. My comment was meant to highlight that the BBR dev is {probably} untrustworthy. The hashing implementation is {obviously} flawed, and it was {undoubtedly} done on purpose in order for the dev to instamine tons of the coin with a gpu.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 04:26:06 AM

Positives
=======

XMR

• Monero has a pretty big community, lots of big names are in Monero, most of them don't buy altcoins but they do buy Monero.
  • Poloniex recently replaced their LTC markets with XMR markets so it's definately not just a simple shitcoin.

BBR

• Has an official GUI wallet.

Anyone know more details about the technical achievements of both coins, please report and discuss. Want some good CN information coming out of this thread. Thanks OP!

I'm really tired of the hoary lie...
That celebrity Bitcoin Pumpers like McRisto have "never bought an alt coin"... just fuck off with this already.

Also, as a trader...
The Polo XMR thing is a desperation ploy by Polo to hang on to XMR volume...
Without XMR doing 300 of their 400 BTC/day they go straight out of business.

But the point of LTC markets was to provide more liquidity...
And it did somewhat because you could get LTC on an exchange in 15 minutes vs forever with BTC....
But Monero does NOTHING for liquidity since the network is random with spastic delays...
And the client is extremely error-prone with lots of lost coins I'm sure...
And you cannot absolutely prove you actually sent a transaction...
(Though SOMEDAY there MAY be something for you there little doggie).

Bittrex floating using BC is infinitely better...
You can get money on exchange in 10 minutes = better liquidity.

If you has a gun to your head and has to send $1,000,000 to save your pet puppy...
Would you use the BC network or the XMR network?  I thought so.

BBR has collapsed in price from a 3:1 ratio to XMR all the way down to 12:1...
And this has been very sudden the last week, just dumping and more dumping...
You get the occasional mini-pump, but that does not look good at all with ZERO PR...
The entire BBR thread is about technical esoterica... normal people are totally foreign to these guys...
Yet even these Ivory Tower uber-geeks have produced an infinitely more user friendly coin than the Monero group.

I would guess that XMR is likely to collapse by 50%... than BBR is to recover...
The Monero hype to me looks like Ripple version 2014...
And nobody cares about the overcrowded CN space except Poloniex.
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1107

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 04:39:15 AM

I thought this was a neat feature too, until I found out that you have to solo a block in order to get an alias, which means that the guy with the personal GPU miner (he who shall not be named Tongue ) could just add a new alias every other minute and "squat" on all the good ones.

The other thing I don't like about BBR is that the dev/creator gets 1% of every block mined. It's like not a premine, but ongoingmine, or something...
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 07:13:34 AM

I actually don't disagree with you on some of the points you raised. But there are some bizarre things you've claimed.

But Monero does NOTHING for liquidity since the network is random with spastic delays...

The network is random in what sense? There are no delays, it's a low-latency network. Transactions broadcast from my laptop in South Africa show up within fractions of a second on one of my server's in the US (easily confirmed with print_tx <transaction ID> on any node).

I have yet to find a single instance where someone lost a single coin. There have been instances where people have used old clients with the incorrect fee, their transaction is thus not mined, and falls out the mempool within 24 hours. Since they're using an old client they won't be aware of this unless they delete their mempool and wallet cache and sync up again. Yet the coins are clearly not "lost".

You absolutely can, it's inherently baked into the protocol. There is no tooling for this yet, as could be expected from a cryptocurrency that is a few months old and doesn't have the pleasure of inheriting 5.5 years worth of work on Bitcoin's code and then just being able to add small features to it.

GTO911

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 07:26:26 AM

That celebrity Bitcoin Pumpers like McRisto have "never bought an alt coin"... just fuck off with this already.

Also, as a trader...
The Polo XMR thing is a desperation ploy by Polo to hang on to XMR volume...
Without XMR doing 300 of their 400 BTC/day they go straight out of business.

But the point of LTC markets was to provide more liquidity...
And it did somewhat because you could get LTC on an exchange in 15 minutes vs forever with BTC....
(Though SOMEDAY there MAY be something for you there little doggie).

THIS
djarot

Activity: 350
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 10:34:26 AM

I think here is little question of a big face-off... monero sure it's already established as an entity, no need to prove this really, I think other coins need to be given a chance too, before we try and have some gladiator fight where the teeth come out - faceoffs are proving themselves to be not so useful here.
cryptohunter (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 08:01:21 PM

oh i wasn't aware there was an instamine on BBR. It's confirmed the dev took these and has the pgpu miner? This is the cause of the price drop or other reasons have contributed to the downturn?

desil

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 08:36:08 PM

oh i wasn't aware there was an instamine on BBR. It's confirmed the dev took these and has the pgpu miner?

There was no instamine on Boolberry coin (BBR) as evidenced by the coin circulation and difficulty adjustment charts. http://bbr.cryptostats.org/charts

However, it has been confirmed that cbuchner1 had created a private GPU miner and mined a significant quantity of coins when the BBR scratchpad size was much  smaller in the weeks following launch. According to him less than 10,000 coins were held at one point as most of them were sold either above market price in Poloniex or outside the market in P2P bulk exchanges. Presently, the BBR scratchpad is large enough where it would be unprofitable for cbuchner1 to continue mining based on the current market price as he would potentially rent out hundreds of EC2 instances meaning that operational cost was incurred.

Most if not all of cbuchner1's coins were sold in last month's pump as he had once stated earlier in mid July that his BBR mining operation will be significantly down sized. The continued decline in price is primarily due to less community adoption and less investor buy support relative to Monero which has more momentum and marketing despite the technical innovation in BBR allowing for a compact blockchain with faster synchronization. Recently an open source OpenCL GPU miner was published further redistributing BBR mining power and coin circulation.

Media slides: http://www.slideshare.net/boolberry/boolberry-reduces-blockchain-bloat  http://www.slideshare.net/boolberry/boolberry-solves-cryptonoteflaws-37055246
Animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiEmaXwfaCc&feature=youtu.be

BTC: 18ZPbhPuVP9XoT5FfsG3SNRaLVrdjvpX7Z
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: