Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:44:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: No matter how much we love BTC, confirmations take way too long!  (Read 8490 times)
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 02:34:54 PM

i dont see a problem here. every brick and mortar store can accept btc for a sale of a 40 USD jeans without waiting 10 minutes or longer.

and for online business: payment channels and more will the invented with zero waiting.

(and of course you can use Litecoin, its faster  Tongue )

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gumbork

Activity: 583
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 02:36:53 PM

Agree, btc taking too long. But everyone seems to only like BTC for some reason..

▄
            ▄███▄
          ▄███████▄
   ▄▄▄    █
█████████
   ███
    ███████████▄
██    ████    ████████▄
      ████    ██████████
  ████    ████▀██████████
  ████    ██▀   ▀█████████▄
      █████       █████████▄
      ███▀         ▀████████
  ██████▀           ▀███████
  █████▀             ▀█████
   ████ █▄▄▄     ▄▄▄█ ████
    ███ ▀███████████▀ ███
     ▀▀█▄ █████████ ▄█▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄▀▀
●●
●●
●●
●●
●●
●●
|●  facebook
●  reddit
●  ann thread
|
█ ██
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██

██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
██ █
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 02:41:48 PM

Agree, btc taking too long. But everyone seems to only like BTC for some reason..

For a reason that bitcoin is a cradle of the crypto currency and so far itis the best of them.
Maybe sometimes confirmations take a bit long so perhaps this is some issue for shops accepting bitcoin but so far those merchants who accepted bitcoin are not complaining at all or I missed something :-)

Brooker

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 02:47:14 PM

Why are you complaining? International money transfer takes much longer.

because the OP thinks thinks that credit cards are different. which they arnt. bitcoins are faster than credit cards, the only difference is that it requires that extra layer (a third party to insure signed transactions).

Ugh, yep, it's so annoying when people complain about this. They obviously have no idea how either credit cards work or bitcoins and their payment processors. This isnt a problem at all.
leex1528

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 02:56:35 PM

What is the average time for 1 confirmation?  15-30 minutes ?  That isn't exactly terrible considering a lot of banks have a 3 business day policy...
peeveepee

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 02:57:53 PM

What is the average time for 1 confirmation?  15-30 minutes ?  That isn't exactly terrible considering a lot of banks have a 3 business day policy...

Yes. Actually, 1st confirmation usually is around 10 mins based on my experience.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 03:28:13 PM

Not an original topic, but there is a reason why it keeps coming up.
No matter how much we love BTC, confirmations take way too long!

<Insert standard response>
"Transactions are instant, and full confirmation is usually done in under 1 hour... both of which are better than credit cards."

<Reality check>
Merchants complete your sale 'almost instantly' with credit cards, and sometimes make you wait almost an hour when paying with BTC, which really does not work well in the real world....  better point of sale options are needed ASAP.

Who the heck makes you wait an hour? I've done several in person transactions with bitcoin and I got my coin, they got their stuff, we both left right away.

Unless you're running a super computer in your back pocket linked up to all the satellites in space, and every computer on the planet, I don't think your android is going to scam me of $15.
fonsie

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 03:28:25 PM

First they complain that bitcoin is too difficult for normal people, then they complain that confirmation time is too long and 0-confirmation is not sufficient, because the same people that were too dumb for bitcoin are now doing double spends.

I see the logic... NOT

I would trust my customers today with transactions above 10 000$ and 0 confirmations, because I know where they live.
For transactions of 50-100$, who will go through the trouble and the small success rate, wouldn't it be easier to just steal the thing.

I decided to no longer use a signature, because people were trolling me about it.
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 03:52:43 PM
Last edit: July 28, 2014, 04:10:09 PM by dancupid

In my experience of using bitcoin, the only times I've ever had to wait >0 confirmations is when using exchanges - these exchanges will not accept credit cards or paypal (since they do not trust the illusion of 'instant' payment they offer).

Every other time I've paid for anything with bitcoin, 0 confirmation transactions were accepted and the transaction was instantaneous.

Which merchants are not accepting 0 confirmation transactions? Perhaps we need a list.
BillyBobJoe

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 04:01:07 PM

We don't need any company like Visa or Mastercard. We're trying to get away from those type of companies. And like the user above says we already have services like Bitpay that cover these transactions so its irrelevant.

How about you not worry about this "any company" so that others MAY use that service IF they desire? Nobody said you must use it.

minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 04:27:36 PM

They really don't take too long. The transaction itself gets recognized and propagated through the network almost instantaneously! It takes a mere 1-3 seconds. If effectively all nodes have accepted that transaction and if it is likely to be included in the next block, you really don't have to care about the actual confirmation! Only wait for multiple confirmations when a lot of money is involved. That takes time in the regular payment systems, as well. Oh and credit cards work the same way, they accept your payment and the actual money only comes after multiple weeks or so.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 04:47:44 PM

The confirmations take too long.

I get that the risk of double spend is very low, extremely low, especially for low value purchases.
But without using a third party to process the risk is still too high.

I write a check and it bounces, they have my identification they can come after me with, etc.

What do they have with bitcoin?

Third party payment processing does solve the problem because the third party can see the transaction of the network before it is confirmed, validate that it has a fee miners are likely to accept, etc. and give approval - but the whole fucking point of crypto-currency is to free us from the need of third party control over the flow of money - and that freedom is often used as a selling point.

So saying the solution is to use third party processing (for a percentage of the purchase price) is a bullshit answer.

Bitcoin simply wasn't designed for transactions where a fast confirmation is needed.

But it doesn't have to be the one coin that meets all needs.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 05:01:45 PM

The confirmations take too long.

I get that the risk of double spend is very low, extremely low, especially for low value purchases.
But without using a third party to process the risk is still too high.

I write a check and it bounces, they have my identification they can come after me with, etc.

What do they have with bitcoin?

Third party payment processing does solve the problem because the third party can see the transaction of the network before it is confirmed, validate that it has a fee miners are likely to accept, etc. and give approval - but the whole fucking point of crypto-currency is to free us from the need of third party control over the flow of money - and that freedom is often used as a selling point.

So saying the solution is to use third party processing (for a percentage of the purchase price) is a bullshit answer.

Bitcoin simply wasn't designed for transactions where a fast confirmation is needed.

But it doesn't have to be the one coin that meets all needs.

Can you provide an actual example of when you used Bitcoin and the transaction processing was too slow?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 05:05:15 PM

Why are you complaining? International money transfer takes much longer.

because the OP thinks thinks that credit cards are different. which they arnt. bitcoins are faster than credit cards, the only difference is that it requires that extra layer (a third party to insure signed transactions).

if the OP only wants to accept confirmed tx's this is where a bitcoin debit service can easily come in. where people use a service they pre-deposit small daily spend amounts (to get pre confirmed) and then they can spend instantly. (research offchain tx's much like mtgox codes or btc-e codes work to send between members)

like i said for small daily spend amounts offchain tx's solve this problem. as it gives trust to the merchantof receiving funds (because the funds are pre-locked in and confirmed) and because its small amounts, it gives consumers trust of the third party service ( i never recommend throwing your entire hoard into third parties)
What's much worse is that if you look at the replies after the one that I quoted, it is either that: a) almost nobody read your posts; b) didn't understand them.
Yes, I actually had a cc which got into a minus balance (even though I told the bank that I don't want it to be able to go under 0).
What actually happened is that I was doing many transactions, but VISA actually processed most of them only on the 20th day of the month.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 05:05:51 PM

It seems long to us. But the next fastest method, credit cards, can takes days to confirm. Sure the retailer let's you walk out of the store, but he has no way of knowing if your good for the money until later. With bitcoin, confirmation is confirmation of a transfer of wealth and completes the transaction.  

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 05:25:35 PM

Maybe what we need is a company like Visa or MC to supply a service where we deposit bitcoin and they issue the charge as fiat there wouldn't be any conformation time because the confirms would already have happened when you made the deposit.

Already exists.

Coinbase and GreenAddress provide instant confirmations.
Except its even better...no fiat.

AliceWonder

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 05:27:41 PM

It seems long to us. But the next fastest method, credit cards, can takes days to confirm. Sure the retailer let's you walk out of the store, but he has no way of knowing if your good for the money until later. With bitcoin, confirmation is confirmation of a transfer of wealth and completes the transaction.  

With credit cards, the only real risk the merchant has is if the card is stolen. They can look at the signature and check ID and greatly reduce that risk.

If it is your card and you reverse charges, they have the option to take you to court. They don't have that option with bitcoin if you double spend because all they have is a cryptic number that can't easily be tied to an identity.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 05:38:57 PM

With credit cards, the only real risk the merchant has is if the card is stolen. They can look at the signature and check ID and greatly reduce that risk.

If it is your card and you reverse charges, they have the option to take you to court. They don't have that option with bitcoin if you double spend because all they have is a cryptic number that can't easily be tied to an identity.

That's all certainly true. But consider that in 20-30mins. the retailer has your bitcoin with some confirmations and at that point who cares if your lying about your identity. Kinda like cash. If you pay me in cash and lie about your name, I still have cash and I'll call you Shirley if you want me to.
As you point out, cards have little risk because they are backed and insured. Something which we all pay for via fees. Bitcoin offers no such protection and requires more of the user/retailer. The rewards for doing it yourself are greatly reduced fees.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
AliceWonder

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 05:50:24 PM

Or in 40 to 70 minutes the merchant finds out you sent the same outputs to 4 other addresses... and the transaction you sent to him was not confirmed.

Equivalent of writing a bad check but he has nothing to go on to recover his losses.

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 05:52:29 PM

this is another reason i forgot why bitcoin can never replace paper currency, even if delusional people still think that. compound all those microtransactions for .003 btc water and gum purchases, and it will be a big issue.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: