Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 11:35:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Observations on prayers and miracles?  (Read 2639 times)
zolace (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 02:43:04 PM

One think is pretty clear. If God exists he does not interfere in the lives of the masses of humanity. At least not in a direct way. If he did there would be no wars, no children dying of terrible diseases, no 9/11's or senseless invasions of Iraq and a million children would not starve to death around the world every year. Saying God gave man "free will" and lets us make our own decisions doesn't explain why he would allow the Titanic to sink or aids to exist to kill millions around the world.

If God refuses to save millions why would he go out of his way to save one?

Millions pray and get nothing for it. The whole concept of prayer and miracles is more than a little ridiculous. God either gets involved in the lives of people or he does not. The evidence is overwhelming that he does not.

What could be considered a miracle of sorts is when people turn their lives around and dedicate themselves to helping their fellow man. There could be something miraculous about overcoming your personal hatred of other groups of people and setting aside racism and bigotry, misogyny and embracing equality for all. Something as simple as taking the time to try and understand another person's point of view instead of automatically dismissing it ......can seem a little miraculous at times for many of us.

Love is as intangible as faith or prayer but we can see it's impact on the world on a daily basis. Goodness and empathy are as incorporeal as miracles and yet unlike prayer and miracles we see them change the world. These may be secular miracles but they come about because of the potential for good that is latent in all human beings and not based on pie in the sky religious dogma and superstitution.

Real miracles are brought about deep in the essence of what and who we are as individuals and as a species. No one has to wait or pray for a miracles when they can make one themselves.

What do you think?

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 02:57:32 PM

I think the main reason God doesn't answer everybody's prayer is that He gets fed up with us getting ourselves into trouble and then expecting Him to bail us out. That, plus God might be able to hold up his end of things but He expects us to hold up ours, too, and sometimes we get stubborn about taking on our share of the effort.
BitcoinMillionaire

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Bling Bling

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 04:02:20 PM

Ha, religious people always find excuses for god'd non-interference as well! They keep saying that things 'are a test' and that people 'couldn't even fathom the reasons god is doing those things'
But hey, killing innocent people and taking away people's loved ones isn't exactly a test or anything. God is simply a jerk if he indeed did that.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 04:09:29 PM

Maybe god is a sadistic bastard who doesn't deserve worship, and he always answers prayers but usually the answer is 'no'!

BitcoinMillionaire

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Bling Bling

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 04:10:56 PM

Maybe god is a sadistic bastard who doesn't deserve worship, and he always answers prayers but usually the answer is 'no'!

Hahaha! But does he even answer people? Why don't those people who pray to him receive this answer then? I mean, if he says 'no' for.. like 10 times, I'd just say 'Well, then leave me alone, jerk!' hehe

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 05:04:39 PM

Prayer only works on the mind of the prayer.   There is a biochemical effect of concentration.  Just as meditation and buddhism may work for some.  Or in my case, I can concentrate to stop things like hiccups.  I can slow my heart rate.  Its all about concentration.  There are real physical effects.  Sadly there is no sheening angel with a magic wand confering any benefit during prayer.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 05:09:30 PM

I think all logical arguments break down when talking about Gods and miracles.  Once the supernatural is part of the equation one can make up anything and it's silly to argue against that.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
zolace (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 05:38:55 PM

Miracles, the word is used in different ways.   But, in the sense of the God intervening in the world - of course, folks disagree about that, and for various reasons.  Used in the sense of something happening that cannot or can never be explained in naturalistic terms - one might say it be a miracle if such a subject could be discussed without folk getting all upset.

Used in the sense of folk turning their lives around, of a major victory in WW II, or a baby being born - I think in that sense, one is meaning it is a wondrous and fortunate event.  But, usually one that is explainable in naturalistic terms. 

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 03:03:19 AM

Dont get caught up on conceptions of good vs bad, they are all relative. Death is only a negative thing if you perceive it as such.  It is simply a constant transition of energy.  Universally, a human is no more signifcant than the food we eat or the air we breathe.

It was when we use our will against god, in a disynchrous manner, that these devestations are able to proliferate into existence.  Though every mistake helps humanity grow and learnto become intelligent in the end.

The beauty of life is that we have freewill to go for or against god.  It is this will to choose positivity or negativity that makes us human allows us to perceive life in the manner we do.

We make the world the way it is, try not to blame god as a seperate entity, for it is the same entity that is truly responsible for manifesting the reality into existence, you.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:58:08 AM

Miracles, the word is used in different ways.   But, in the sense of the God intervening in the world - of course, folks disagree about that, and for various reasons.  Used in the sense of something happening that cannot or can never be explained in naturalistic terms - one might say it be a miracle if such a subject could be discussed without folk getting all upset.

Used in the sense of folk turning their lives around, of a major victory in WW II, or a baby being born - I think in that sense, one is meaning it is a wondrous and fortunate event.  But, usually one that is explainable in naturalistic terms. 
Unexplainable as you say in "naturalistic terms".....I assume to mean physical evidence.   This still doesn't equate to miracle.   It equates to unexplainable.   Humans cant explain everything because sometimes there is not enough evidence.  Doesn't make it a miracle.

Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:00:18 AM

One think is pretty clear. If God exists he does not interfere in the lives of the masses of humanity. At least not in a direct way. If he did there would be no wars, no children dying of terrible diseases, no 9/11's or senseless invasions of Iraq and a million children would not starve to death around the world every year. Saying God gave man "free will" and lets us make our own decisions doesn't explain why he would allow the Titanic to sink or aids to exist to kill millions around the world.

If God refuses to save millions why would he go out of his way to save one?

Millions pray and get nothing for it. The whole concept of prayer and miracles is more than a little ridiculous. God either gets involved in the lives of people or he does not. The evidence is overwhelming that he does not.

What could be considered a miracle of sorts is when people turn their lives around and dedicate themselves to helping their fellow man. There could be something miraculous about overcoming your personal hatred of other groups of people and setting aside racism and bigotry, misogyny and embracing equality for all. Something as simple as taking the time to try and understand another person's point of view instead of automatically dismissing it ......can seem a little miraculous at times for many of us.

Love is as intangible as faith or prayer but we can see it's impact on the world on a daily basis. Goodness and empathy are as incorporeal as miracles and yet unlike prayer and miracles we see them change the world. These may be secular miracles but they come about because of the potential for good that is latent in all human beings and not based on pie in the sky religious dogma and superstitution.

Real miracles are brought about deep in the essence of what and who we are as individuals and as a species. No one has to wait or pray for a miracles when they can make one themselves.

What do you think?
A Miracle zolace? How about you admitting that God might not exist because there is no evidence he does. That would do it.
zolace (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:07:44 AM

Clearly, saying there is no evidence is rather foolish. Interestingly, the hostility that folks such as yourself feel towards the idea that God exists is evidence in and of itself. At least, evidence that you might think He exists.
Alot of energy spent for a non existent Being.Anyway, so, what evidence, what miracle, would it take for you to acknowledge there is a Creator?

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
Rigon

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:20:47 AM

Clearly, saying there is no evidence is rather foolish. Interestingly, the hostility that folks such as yourself feel towards the idea that God exists is evidence in and of itself. At least, evidence that you might think He exists.
Alot of energy spent for a non existent Being.Anyway, so, what evidence, what miracle, would it take for you to acknowledge there is a Creator?
Not much.  Just one piece of evidence would convince me.  Care to present any?  I know you think you have, but you have not presented one single shred of evidence that can be held up as proof of a creator. You can do so now and convince me.  All I require is a single proof.
zolace (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:30:21 AM

Not much.  Just one piece of evidence would convince me.  Care to present any?  I know you think you have, but you have not presented one single shred of evidence that can be held up as proof of a creator. You can do so now and convince me.  All I require is a single proof.
That is fine - but that did not answer the question that was asked.  I am not asking how much evidence you need - but what would such evidence look like for you?

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
Rigon

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:40:33 AM

That is fine - but that did not answer the question that was asked.  I am not asking how much evidence you need - but what would such evidence look like for you?
It would look like evidence.  Do you need a dictionary? 

Evidence - the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

Do you have any evidence?    Please list the BODY OF FACTS that indicate your god is real.   They should come rolling off your fingertips Tomas.

Ready go.
zolace (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:46:38 AM

Evidence - the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

Do you have any evidence?    Please list the BODY OF FACTS that indicate your god is real.   They should come rolling off your fingertips Tomas.

Ready go.

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume I was not clear (again).

Give an example of evidence that would lead you to conclude there is a Creator - what would be something that you admit, if it was to ever happen, could not be explained in naturalistic terms.  That it could only be explained by the existance of the Creator.

For example - if you saw someone rise from the dead - not just read about it but actually saw it yourself - would that do it?  And, if not, what would?  What kind of event can you conceive of that could not ever be explained through science?

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
Rigon

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:54:42 AM

Ready go.

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume I was not clear (again).

Give an example of evidence that would lead you to conclude there is a Creator - what would be something that you admit, if it was to ever happen, could not be explained in naturalistic terms.  That it could only be explained by the existance of the Creator.

For example - if you saw someone rise from the dead - not just read about it but actually saw it yourself - would that do it?  And, if not, what would?  What kind of event can you conceive of that could not ever be explained through science?

I repeat.  What it would take is actual factual evidence that not only could not be explained in naturalistic terms, but provides factual evidence of god. That is quite clear.   Got anything? 

Not being explained by men in naturalistic terms is not evidence of god, it is evidence of something as yet unexplainable by men who aren't too smart.  It would need to be both unexplainable by men and direct evidence of a creator.

I have never seen or been made aware of any direct factual evidence of god.  If you think evidence of god exists......I have asked you to present it and yet you obfuscate.    You are so in love with your belief of god, why do you fail to present any evidence that you believe exists?
zolace (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 11:14:59 AM

Ready go.

I repeat.  What it would take is actual factual evidence that not only could not be explained in naturalistic terms, but provides factual evidence of god. That is quite clear.   Got anything? 

Not being explained by men in naturalistic terms is not evidence of god, it is evidence of something as yet unexplainable by men who aren't too smart.  It would need to be both unexplainable by men and direct evidence of a creator.

I have never seen or been made aware of any direct factual evidence of god.  If you think evidence of god exists......I have asked you to present it and yet you obfuscate.    You are so in love with your belief of god, why do you fail to present any evidence that you believe exists?
Because you need to first establish what it would take to make such evidence convincing.  And, since you say you are understanding what I am asking, and yet not providing such, let me ask you in a different way, since you did not answer the other question.

If you, actually saw someone whom you had known personally, whom you knew to be dead 10 days - body was even decomposing and dismembered (arm 50 feet away for example), and while you are looking directly at the body, you see before your very eyes this person rise immediately, whole and live again, are you saying that there would be a naturalistic explanation for it, even if you did not know what that was?

Or would that fit your your criteria below?

It would need to be both unexplainable by men and direct evidence of a creator.

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
Rigon

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 11:48:54 AM

Ready go.

Because you need to first establish what it would take to make such evidence convincing.  And, since you say you are understanding what I am asking, and yet not providing such, let me ask you in a different way, since you did not answer the other question.

If you, actually saw someone whom you had known personally, whom you knew to be dead 10 days - body was even decomposing and dismembered (arm 50 feet away for example), and while you are looking directly at the body, you see before your very eyes this person rise immediately, whole and live again, are you saying that there would be a naturalistic explanation for it, even if you did not know what that was?

Or would that fit your your criteria below?

It would need to be both unexplainable by men and direct evidence of a creator.
Factual evidence of god.  A body of FACTS (evidence) indicating god is real.

I am aware of none.   You are free to present facts that indicate there is a god.   I am listening.
Rigon

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 11:53:32 AM

Ill give you some examples :

1) The world is an amazing place that we cannot fully explain.

That's all fine and well but because we are stupid and cant explain everything is hardly evidence for anything other than we are stupid.

2)  There are writings that say people spoke to god.  There are writings of (insert anything here)

Heresay of heresay.  Not evidence of anything.  Not even indirect evidence twice removed.

3)  Unexplainable (miracles) happen.

If unexplainable and seemingly impossible events NEVER happened, that might constitute evidence of god.  Statistics says the unexplainable should happen with a certain regularity.

Your turn.
  Got anything?Huh
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: