Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:34:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The happy BTC circular donation thread  (Read 14619 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 11:59:06 AM

Risto's gift has been making it very difficult for me to put into words the thoughts I want to convey. At the same time I feel wonderment, I feel blessed and empowered, but above all, I feel happy, and I've felt this way ever since one of my best friends texted me last Friday to share the news about this and from all the positivity that has been radiated since.

I just want to share a few thoughts, thoughts that have stuck with me from Life:

Pastor Jose, a great man who helped rebuild the 9th Ward in New Orleans, remarked to us during a magical lunch when he invited my friends and I into his home one day we were passing through the city:
The purpose of life is to leave it better for the next time we come around.

And I shall with all of you here. Do you realize how special we are to be alive, to be here where we are now, to know what we know? We're lucky! But we're not just lucky, resultantly, we're imbued with meaning and purpose as well; we dance, we laugh, we cry, we suffer, we learn, we die, but, we live, and we're in this together and we owe to ourselves to help and love each other. So be nice, have fun, follow your dreams, for our lives are not our own. We are bound to others, past and present, and by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

To Risto, thank you sir, you are a true gentleman of the ages. And thank you friends, everyone, for being a part of this journey homeward. This is a hell of a good universe—I'm honored to evolve through it with you all Smiley

“We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit.”

Love always, love eternal,
Đông Anh

Thank you Smiley

I am not sure actually if your arrangement still holds, so could you confirm if you want all of it to be sent to you, or if you would like to play by the new rules (amended after your original decision) where you need to selected at least 2 bct users for at least 50 mBTC each first. Smiley

Your btc address would be appreciated.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 01:45:22 PM

Of course! It's just taking me a bit of considered time since forgoing my first plan, and so, I like taking my time whenever possible Smiley

I would like to honor a couple other great Aquarians who made a most positive impact on me with my time here in this community:

RyNinDaClem, because I really do appreciate all the time you take out to educate me with anything you know, as well as anyone else willing, just because of your sheer enjoyment of doing so. For being who you are, please receive 200mBTC well!

Otoh, because you saved me at one point a couple years back when I was much younger, financially amidst all the Securities and Lending schemes taking place, and soon after, spiritually, through showing me another side of life. Please receive 100mBTC, for being who you are. The 100mBTC is not because I value you any less, my friend, but because I've already gifted you in the past and it's more of a public token and acclaim for my appreciation and spreading good will and energies than anything.  Smiley

Sirs, not only have you personally helped me, but from what I can tell, you are paragons for everyone around. We're especially in a unique position at this cusp in time—and we lead the future by living our lives through example and getting what we want to see. The force of God lives all around us and as such, through us. I like to think we have what we have—whether faith in the face of doubt, wisdom and tolerance amidst the darkness and ignorance, wealth amidst poverty, and whatever, Love from hate—it is only so that we show the way by "passing it on". With the remaining 700mBTC, my intentions are to sow some seeds for universal love and peace, tending them so that we soon fruit more seeds (I'll be sharing those later on  Wink)

Appreciate it guys!

Much love,
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 03:41:00 PM

First, Risto, thank you for this.  We are very honored to be selected by you to help change the world positively.

BitChick and I would like to encourage three people who, despite buying bitcoin this year have been positive, encouraging and trying to learn about bitcoin without getting discouraged.  While it takes projects and software and investments and infrastructure to make bitcoin grow, it also takes positive people who believe in it and persevere despite some long setbacks.  If everyone gave up, bitcoin would fail.  

Also, two of the three are women, and BitChick wants to support women in bitcoin.

So, we would like to give the following:

100mBTC - JulieFig
100mBTC - pinksheep
100mBTC - frienemy

Also, BitChick is going to India in November to work with Harvest India, a group that works with the outcasts (Dalits) in Tenali, India.  These are people who have been told that they are garbage by society, that they don't deserve anything because they were born here.  This is even more true of the women in this male-dominated society.

BitChick will be speaking at a women's conference that is the first time many of these women will even leave their own village.  For $30 a person (the cost for transportation to the conference and for food for a week), she will be telling them that they have value because they are made in the image of God.  They are hoping to raise enough money for 500 women, so this donation will help many women change their self worth and by doing so the lives of others around them.

We have told the founder of Harvest India about bitcoin and he was very excited to see how it could help them get more donations to the people instead of getting tied up in fees.  Since they are the first to build wells, offer medical support, build a university, etc., in this area, I wouldn't be surprised if they are the first to use bitcoin as well.

So, we would use 700mBTC to help change women's lives in India.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 04:18:32 PM

One of the gems of this forum.
The opportunities for gratitude is often overlooked.
With this, we were given a chance to say a meaningful THANK YOU to those that have make great leaps and small steps toward increasing individual freedom.
So a double THANK YOU to Rpietila for spreading the chance to offer thanks.
There are so many who have done so much that goes unrecognized.  Providing some recognition is good for you too.
Its been said that money can't buy happiness, but there is a way that it can do so.

Some studies show that giving is the best bargain for happiness with money:
http://www.businessinsider.com/money-can-buy-happiness-2014-4

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
othe

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 06:56:31 PM

BitchicksHusband has been paid, the txid is: d71f063d4909c33220f9d2717e65fa1959337aba9aa56129a85734ec9cd04597

BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 07:37:06 PM

BitchicksHusband has been paid, the txid is: d71f063d4909c33220f9d2717e65fa1959337aba9aa56129a85734ec9cd04597

Thank you Risto for your help with my upcoming India trip (and BitchicksHusband for supporting me in this.  If this happened to be June when this "donation" was given the thing that would have made him "most happy" may have been buying LA Kings Stanley Cup hockey tickets instead. Wink )

And it is fun to "pay it forward" too. Smiley

BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 08:10:36 PM

Thank you Risto for your help with my upcoming India trip (and BitchicksHusband for supporting me in this.  If this happened to be June when this "donation" was given the thing that would have made him "most happy" may have been buying LA Kings Stanley Cup hockey tickets instead. Wink )

And it is fun to "pay it forward" too. Smiley

While tempting (Go Kings!), I would never use such a benevolent gift for such an ignoble purpose.

Thanks again, Risto, for doing your part to make the world a better place for everyone.

rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 08:29:28 PM

the thing that would have made him "most happy" may have been buying LA Kings Stanley Cup hockey tickets instead. Wink )
While tempting (Go Kings!), I would never use such a benevolent gift for such an ignoble purpose.

Whaaaaaat? This is a happy thread, and if ever somebody decides to gift some back to me, surely I will first think of something small that makes me more happy materially (and only if there is nothing that could do it, then distribute the whole of it) Grin

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Sword Smith

Activity: 406
Merit: 286

Neptune, Scalable Privacy

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 10:02:17 PM

I have received 1 bitcoin, 1'000 mBTC.

Dear Risto Pietilä

Thank you for your generous gift.

I am not currently in a situation where I need donations so I would like to pass my donation on. But I need a day or two to think about whom to donate to. I have one or two names in mind but I would like to make sure that I donate to the right people.

umairsaleem010

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 10:51:13 AM

I have received 1 bitcoin, 1'000 mBTC.

Dear Risto Pietilä

Thank you for your generous gift.

I am not currently in a situation where I need donations so I would like to pass my donation on. But I need a day or two to think about whom to donate to. I have one or two names in mind but I would like to make sure that I donate to the right people.

Just be sure donate to those people who really deserve it.. as far as i know no one on this forum begging except the people who are just silly and beggars.. actually they are not needed dontaions just want to scam.

BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 02:04:16 PM

I just saw that aminorex is giving 100mBTC to JorgeStolfi just to annoy him.  That is funny!  Cheesy

JulieFig

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 08:20:55 PM

I just saw that aminorex is giving 100mBTC to JorgeStolfi just to annoy him.  That is funny!  Cheesy

First, thank-you Risto for such a neat little initiative. I hope this ends up being picked up by some of the more notable (and reputable) blogs so that there is some good (non-merchant) publicity drummed up about Bitcoin. It would be nice for Joe Public to realise that there are actually some nice and sane people who use the currency.

I seem to have been fortunate enough to be chosen as one of the lucky recipients (I received a lovely PM from the uberbull and eternal optimist BitChick who has very kindly offered to pass along 100mBTC).

If it does not violate any rules, I would like to pass the full 100mBTC along to my husband, for the following reason:

As BitChick said, I jumped on the btc-bandwagon in December just after the ATH with a not-so-insubstantial (for me) investment of $10,000. I confess I had not done nearly enough research prior to this, and it was definitely a 'panic buy'. I then spent the next couple of months carefully reading about Bitcoin, learning the underlying fundamentals etc., and this became my solace during this so very long bear market. (It certainly isn't easy to watch the price plummet, and keep plummeting and yet still remain optimistic... unless your name is BitChick!  Smiley)

After putting together some of my 'analyses', I went to the husband to see if he would agree to redraw on the homeloan and inject another $10,000 (this was around a month ago). He finally agreed, and now we have at least dollar-cost-averaged to some extent (our break-even point is still unfortunately around $750).

However, the little analysis I showed him had us on track for that July/August bubble, but Bitcoin appears to have skipped that bubble in the cycle. Needless to say, I am not in his good books! In his mind, we have lost the full amount, and is certainly not Bitcoin's biggest fan, to say the least. I want to do something to fix that... He doesn't even have a wallet, so I thought I would download one for him and show him just how ridiculously easy it is to transfer btc. I'll also show him this thread so that he can see the little story behind the 100mBTC.

Thank-you again Risto and BitChick for your kindness.

1ACcUJkhaCjb9LuzdHkuTj3rEwhx5PZ3mk
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 08:40:40 PM

Very good Smiley Just imagine if everybody split up their gift so that in the end we would have 100 people made happy! Smiley

frienemy

Activity: 235

I was promised da moon

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 08:41:36 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2014, 09:33:37 PM by frienemy

First of all, I bow to Risto for starting such a nice idea and I bow to Bitchick and Bitchickshusband who are willing to pass me on 100mBTC. It does not happen too often to me that something good happens completely out of nowhere, therefore I felt quite puzzled when I read Bitchick's message Smiley

I don't know many people on this forum, but still I'd like to pass on

--> 50mBTC to GameKyuubi

for the invention of the most important word in Bitcoin history: "HODLING"

The remaining 50mBTC I'm going to split up for 2 purposes:

- I am going to donate 25mBTC to BUND (Friends of the Earth Germany) because a healthy planet makes all of us happy

- I'm trying to establish regular Bitcoin meetings in my home town in Bavaria (150.000 inhabitants), where Bitcoin is widely unknown. For a long time I searched for people for such a meeting and it seems that in about 2 months it's about time for the first meeting in a bar. We're going to try to convince a bar or pub to accept Bitcoin and as soon as this is accomplished thee remaining 25mBTC will be spent for the group to celebrate that. It's not much, but there won't be very many people joining right now. And I'm pretty sure that it will last quite a while for the first location in town to accept Bitcoin, so maybe in 1 year 25mBTC suffice for a major party Cheesy

Thank you!

1BBJcM8USfEuH8ZwFzYdUbd68mKjGQa1sK

EDIT:
I'm reading through the whole thread right now. Risto, you stated that you don't want people to donate to charities. I'm sure I can find a different use for the 25mBTC which I planned to donate. Let me know whether I harmed your rules and I will consider a different option Smiley

MCTRL_751 >   END OF LINE
iluvbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1150

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 08:43:57 PM

--> 50mBTC to GameKyuubi

how do you know he invented it?

Looking for a signature campaign.
frienemy

I was promised da moon

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 08:49:43 PM

--> 50mBTC to GameKyuubi

how do you know he invented it?

Because I was on the forum when "Hodling" was coined Cheesy

see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=375643.0

BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 09:37:01 PM

First of all, I bow to Risto for starting such a nice idea and I bow to Bitchick and Bitchickshusband who are willing to pass me on 100mBTC. It does not happen too often to me that something good happens completely out of nowhere, therefore I felt quite puzzled when I read Bitchick's message Smiley

I don't know many people on this forum, but still I'd like to pass on

--> 50mBTC to GameKyuubi

The remaining 50mBTC I'm going to split up for 2 purposes:

- I am going to donate 25mBTC to BUND (Friends of the Earth Germany) because a healthy planet makes all of us happy

- I'm trying to establish regular Bitcoin meetings in my home town in Bavaria (150.000 inhabitants), where Bitcoin is widely unknown. For a long time I searched for people for such a meeting and it seems that in about 2 months it's about time for the first meeting in a bar. We're going to try to convince a bar or pub to accept Bitcoin and as soon as this is accomplished thee remaining 25mBTC will be spent for the group to celebrate that. It's not much, but there won't be very many people joining right now. And I'm pretty sure that it will last quite a while for the first location in town to accept Bitcoin, so maybe in 1 year 25mBTC suffice for a major party Cheesy

Thank you!

1BBJcM8USfEuH8ZwFzYdUbd68mKjGQa1sK

EDIT:
I'm reading through the whole thread right now. Risto, you stated that you don't want people to donate to charities. I'm sure I can find a different use for the 25mBTC which I planned to donate. Let me know whether I harmed your rules and I will consider a different option Smiley

I was just thinking today, will we look back on this thread in a couple years an say "WOW.  Risto gave out over $1,000,000 in BTC!?"  Grin

rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 09:44:08 PM

I said I don't like the people in the beginning of the food chain to donate all to charities, just because they are lazy and conditioned to believe that "it is the right thing to do".

Because if they did, the money would never reach people like you, who can use small amounts so cleverly and really make a difference, make many people happy and provide an example to be listed in this thread as well! Smiley

I think we are proceeding fine now! Smiley

frienemy

I was promised da moon

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 09:48:16 PM

Thanks for explaining! It may sound cheesy, but it really makes me happy to be part of this. Please note that I'm actually a grumpy cynical guy at times. You destroy my image Wink

frienemy

I was promised da moon

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 09:53:09 PM

I was just thinking today, will we look back on this thread in a couple years an say "WOW.  Risto gave out over $1,000,000 in BTC!?"  Grin

In a couple of decades I will tell my grandchildren that I was part of a donation circle started by some mystical cigar-smoking Bitcoin castle king, who passed on magical invisible internet gold to some Christian bulls willing to give me some of their share. This is better than Narnia!  Wink

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: