Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 12:48:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many Bitcoins needed to retire in 5-6 years?  (Read 13953 times)
DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 11:49:53 PM

I just talked to a economics Phd and we analyzed some stats surrounding BTC. We made some good/worst case scenarios and took the average of those scenarios.

Our price prediction for 2020 = 10,750 USD Wink

This spot for rent.
Wary

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Who's there?

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 11:59:52 PM

I just talked to a economics Phd and we analyzed some stats surrounding BTC. We made some good/worst case scenarios and took the average of those scenarios.

It's a really good economist if s/he can predict price in 6 years time up to 5th decimal sign.  Wink

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
DannyElfman

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:02:40 AM

It's a really good economist if s/he can predict price in 6 years time up to 5th decimal sign.  Wink

As I said, we made some assumptions for worst /best turnouts and averaged those. This practise is called educated guessing and the finance world doesn't do much more than that Wink

and 10750$ no 10$75 cents

This spot for rent.
Wary

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Who's there?

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:16:09 AM

As I said, we made some assumptions for worst /best turnouts and averaged those. This practise is called educated guessing and the finance world doesn't do much more than that Wink

It's just a common practice to give as much digits as you sure of. That is 10,750 would mean something between 10,740 and 10,760. While you probably meant to say something like "in range of 10K". Sorry for nitpicking.

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
DannyElfman

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:24:45 AM

It's just a common practice to give as much digits as you sure of. That is 10,750 would mean something between 10,740 and 10,760. While you probably meant to say something like "in range of 10K". Sorry for nitpicking.

Now I get your angle.

Yes, the average was around 10750.

Best cases ranged from 15000-25000 USD
Worst cases from 225 USD - 900 USD

This spot for rent.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:36:23 AM

Care to show your work?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 10394

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:05:12 AM

Seriously, what is wrong with you guys ? Cheesy Why do you need such crazy amounts to retire ? I d be totally happy with 10k $ per coin.

With that price it would push everyones life(who is involved in bitcoins) in a better direction. I am going all-in with my bitcoin investment strategy, i just hope it is worth it in the long run.

My friends and family already tread me like a crazy one and laugh at me because bitcoin is just not moving in neither direction. Anyway, i am hodling strong no matter what comes for the next years. I will only sell if there is absolutely no other way to survive while growing my small stash of bitcoins over time.

Back to topic: My dream price would be 40k / coin and ~1 million to retire. But i don't have high life standards, an own apartment with Internet is practically enough to make me happy for the rest of my life.  Smiley

Are you going to be able to accumulate more than 25 BTC before BTC prices become a lot more expensive?   I say 25 BTC, b/c that is how many coins you would need to have in order to make $1million out of $40k coins.

$10k per coin is only going to get you $250K in principle with those same 25BTC... but surely we shouldn't be complaining about $10k per coin if we are buying now... that is nearly 17x appreciation from today's prices.... Maybe it would be good to invest at or near $15k today for the 25 BTC.. and then just wait it out....

I am really NOT sure, though.    My advice, to the extent that I attempt to dish out such would be if a person wanted to get to 25 BTC... but had difficult finances and was NOT sure about being able to invest a whole $15k... would be to invest as much as possible, hopefully, near $7.5k or more and then attempt to keep buying while the money comes in... to attempt to get to 25 BTC within a reasonably accelerated time-frame... then slow down investing in BTC on a dollar cost average basis thereafter.

That is a good question Jay. I am really not sure if i can accumulate 25 bitcoins before the value accelerates. But i think that is not the point, as long as you try as hard as possible to get as many as possible. Right now i increase my bitcoin stash at a speed of ~0.4 btc per month.
With my optimistic(realistic? Smiley) point of view i will not be able to collect 25 bitcoins, because the process will be so much harder to collect more coins when they are worth over 10k$/each. That means 1 million are out of reach for me and remain as a dream. But if i manage to collect >15 bitcoins till then, i will still be happy.

Goddammit, i am such a fucked up superbull. xD

I do NOT necessarily disagree with your reasoning, here.  That is NOT a bad amount - let's say $250 set aside towards BTC per month.  ONLY you are in the position to assess the totality of your financial circumstances.

Actually, I remember in the 80s, I used to buy $100 to $200 per month in US Savings bonds, as a potentially secure means to set aside extra money.. however, I was in NO way as bullish as you about my savings/investment b/c I already knew what the rate of my return was going to be and that my money was going to be locked up for at least 5 years (something like that).  I did NOT have access to such potential investments like bitcoin... so I am NOT sure what I would have done had I known about such a thing like bitcoin when I had that quantity of money to invest... I may have attempted to figure out a way to set aside more money b/c of the upside potential. 

We each have to come to our own resolution regarding how to proceed towards our investment(s), and if $250 per month is all that you feel that you can reasonably do, then so be it.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
DannyElfman

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:07:45 AM

Care to show your work?

Yes, I might upload it tomorrow after formating it.

This spot for rent.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:11:34 AM

It's a really good economist if s/he can predict price in 6 years time up to 5th decimal sign.  Wink

Now I get your angle.

Your best case scenarios seem fairly bearish (b/c BTC has possibilities to go into the $100K range in the next 6 years), and your worst case scenarios do NOT seem to take into account the possibility of BTC going to zero, which is a real possibility, sorry to speak the truth...   So ultimately, if you are NOT accounting for all of the scenarios, then your prediction is likely off, even if you are receiving the assistance and input of an economist phd.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
DannyElfman

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:14:22 AM

Now I get your angle.

Your best case scenarios seem fairly bearish (b/c BTC has possibilities to go into the $100K range in the next 6 years), and your worst case scenarios do NOT seem to take into account the possibility of BTC going to zero, which is a real possibility, sorry to speak the truth...   So ultimately, if you are NOT accounting for all of the scenarios, then your prediction is likely off, even if you are receiving the assistance and input of an economist phd.

Those were the averages of different best/worst case approaches. Not the range of the absolute amounts.

This spot for rent.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:25:24 AM

Now I get your angle.

Your best case scenarios seem fairly bearish (b/c BTC has possibilities to go into the $100K range in the next 6 years), and your worst case scenarios do NOT seem to take into account the possibility of BTC going to zero, which is a real possibility, sorry to speak the truth...   So ultimately, if you are NOT accounting for all of the scenarios, then your prediction is likely off, even if you are receiving the assistance and input of an economist phd.

Those were the averages of different best/worst case approaches. Not the range of the absolute amounts.

Ok... thanks... I look forward to seeing your work.. if you decide to let us see it....

Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 3966

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:26:46 AM

It's a really good economist if s/he can predict price in 6 years time up to 5th decimal sign.  Wink

Now I get your angle.

Your best case scenarios seem fairly bearish (b/c BTC has possibilities to go into the $100K range in the next 6 years), and your worst case scenarios do NOT seem to take into account the possibility of BTC going to zero, which is a real possibility, sorry to speak the truth...   So ultimately, if you are NOT accounting for all of the scenarios, then your prediction is likely off, even if you are receiving the assistance and input of an economist phd.

Ok... thanks... I look forward to seeing your work.. if you decide to let us see it....

$10750 in 2020 sounds possible, although it is 63% per year on average, which is much higher than any asset class.
Could happen if we hit another bubble or super bubble. In the latter case, $10750 would be a trough after $35000-50000 super bubble.
brewsterz

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:03:56 AM

10750 sounds low to me
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 05:49:04 AM

The known price history of Bitcoin is roughly 4 years. You're attempting to predict 16 years ahead?

I still like the prediction though but would expect something halvings to have happened and the price could easily go above 10k. Smiley

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 06:02:40 AM

"Are you kidding me? I have to wait 6 years for 10k? No way, we're going to the moon this year!" -the average HODLer around here. Grin

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 10:14:03 AM

Now I get your angle.

so 225-25000 then Tongue
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 10:17:11 AM

The known price history of Bitcoin is roughly 4 years. You're attempting to predict 16 years ahead?

I still like the prediction though but would expect something halvings to have happened and the price could easily go above 10k. Smiley

Wilhelm:   It is good that we are NOT relying upon your math....  Shocked      I calculate 2020 to be 6 years from NOW, not 16 years from now.   Cheesy 

By the way, the $10,750 estimate seems a little bearish to me, too... given BTC's history and totality of circumstances, including slipperyslope's theory of exponential growth during the adoption phase.. and NO reason to believe that we are NOT currently in the midst of adoption.... even in early adoption regarding BTC.

HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 11:02:55 AM

Ummm I think in 5 years, you'll be good with about 11 BTC or so... We'll see 3-7 bubbles by then and should be headed to $150000 USD by then... Which would be enough to retire. Maybe not with a mansion, but you'll be fine. But don't take my word for it, only speculation Wink

ThatDGuy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:52:52 PM

Ummm I think in 5 years, you'll be good with about 11 BTC or so... We'll see 3-7 bubbles by then and should be headed to $150000 USD by then... Which would be enough to retire. Maybe not with a mansion, but you'll be fine. But don't take my word for it, only speculation Wink

I'm bullish on BTC, but more than 3 (maaaaaybe 4) bubbles in the next 5 years seems unlikely, given current awareness and such a short timeline.   
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:54:04 PM

I'm bullish on BTC, but more than 3 (maaaaaybe 4) bubbles in the next 5 years seems unlikely, given current awareness and such a short timeline.   

Yeah, you could be right. But I tend to be uber-bullish at times. The whole Bitcoin scene just has something exciting about it. It's like back in the good old 80s man, everything's in motion and about to explode upwards on the charts!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: