Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:22:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Sold $1k worth of Bitcoins to... a Black Guy (gasp)  (Read 8058 times)
abercrombie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 01:16:56 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2014, 02:19:31 AM by abercrombie

I've seen all of the Andreas Antonopoulos videos on YouTube speaking to various audiences.  They're truly inspirational but gave me the impression that Bitcoin in the United States was mainly for white people with a few token Asians sprinkled here and there.

Anyhow, I have an advertisement for local in-person cash trades for Bitcoin.  Trades are rare in my area, but I like to proliferate the coin whenever I can.  Plus, at my asking price the transaction would result in a relatively significant amount of pocket change.  So, I get a request to meet at my local Zoo parking lot.  Apparently, it was a person from one of America's largest cities driving in from out of town to visit our world famous local Zoo. But it just set off a few alarms.   How hard is it to get Bitcoins from the large city that he's from?  Meet at Zoo parking lot?  My ad specifically states to meet at Starbucks or McDonalds mainly for Internet access but also because of cameras everywhere.  Lastly, the guy sounded... black.   Shocked

Anyhow, I go ahead and call and have him meet me at the Starbucks nearest to the zoo.  I was getting nervous, even started to sweat after getting off the call.  Should I just cancel?  He could then give me my first bad feedback.   What if I get mugged.  I thought to myself what a horrible person I'd be cancelling the meet just because the guy sounded black.  Me being the weanie, I brought "muscle" just in case the guy tried to strong arm me into inputting my Google 2FA to validate the escrow and steal my coins.  My muscle was a fat guy that plays video games all day in his mother's basement.  No way would he get physical, but his orders were to video record from another table pretending to be a random customer.  Cheesy

The young guy finally shows up with basketball jersey tank top showing off his tattoos and wild urban cut afro.  He looked part Latino and Black and after inquiring about my handle, put down his phone to pull out the money.   The guy's smart phone had a shattered screen.  He has 1k to buy Bitcoin but can't even get a replacement screen for his phone?  After handing me 1k in hundred dollar bills, I broke out my counterfeit pen with UV light and validated the bills, verified the stripe was in the correct spot with the UV light.  He said, "You're a smart man."  Everything looked good and transferred the funds to the buyer.  

He even gave me the # (pound).  You know, when you knock fists like players do in basketball?  Tongue

Worked out well.  Have to admit, it was a rush.  Treated my fat friend to lunch at the nearby restaurant.

Going to hit a gentlemen's club tonight.  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 01:40:07 AM

TimS

Activity: 250
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 01:41:43 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2014, 11:55:24 AM by TimS

Apparently, it was a person from one of the U.S.'s largest cities driving in from out of town to visit our world famous local Zoo. But it just set off a few alarms.   How hard is it to get Bitcoins in the largest city where he's from?  My ad specifically states to meet at Starbucks or McDonalds mainly for Internet access but also because of cameras everywhere.  The handle was brand new.

Should I just cancel?  He could then give me my first bad feedback.   What if I get mugged.

The young guy finally shows up with basketball jersey tank top showing off his tattoos and wild urban cut ...  The guy's smart phone had a cracked screen.  He has 1k to buy Bitcoin but can't even get a replacement screen for his phone?  After handing me 1k in hundred dollar bills...
Some reasonable suspicions here.
Andreas Antonopoulos...gave me the impression that Bitcoin in the United States was mainly for white people with a few token Asians sprinkled here and there.

...Lastly, the guy sounded... black.   Shocked

What if I get mugged.  I thought to myself what a horrible person I'd be cancelling the meet just because the guy sounded black.

... afro.  He looked part Latino and Black ...

And racism here. Which is the larger part of your post? Yeah.

I'm glad to live in a place in the US where my race is not a huge majority. Helps keep me from seeing other races as "others".

Regardless, glad to hear that the trade went through without a problem.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 02:02:18 AM

haha that's awesome. Glad everything worked out. Personally I'd be too chickenshit to do face-to-face with that much cash. Once you use your phone to release the btc, you can't predict if the dude will mean-mug you to take his cash back.

Let me guess, you met him at San Diego Zoo?

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 02:18:13 AM

Let me see, the races I sold to were...

humans

Oh, and one ET.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
jjc326

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 02:24:51 AM

This is why I recommend doing the transaction in a public place, and with someone who has previous positive feedback from whatever system you're using.  Then, it really wouldn't matter what they looked like, I'd be comfortable doing it.

commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 02:31:29 AM

Congrats on a successful sale. I don't blame you for being a wee bit nervous about meeting somebody completely random this way, whether he's black or not. That's why I like to do most of my business online. The other person might steal my money or my work, but at least he can't beat me up. And the other thing I like about the Internet is that, unless you're posting a bunch of selfies or that video of you getting drunk and doing something you wouldn't do while sober, nobody can tell what color your skin is. I could be Asian for all you know. And I was just talking to somebody who wasn't a native English speaker and he was fluent enough that I couldn't tell until he told me. So you never know.
LouReed

Activity: 732

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 02:33:58 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2014, 02:51:10 AM by LouReed

Are you from the deep south by any chance? Lol!

I'm a little bit surprised you didn't say that you thought he was buying the Bitcoin to use to buy some Crack on the secret dark interweb! It's about the only racist implication you left out! Roll Eyes
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 02:42:57 AM

You're surprised that black people use money and can conduct business without committing a crime. Yeah, ok.

caribbeanbitcoiner

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 04:25:01 AM

smh, white people   Cheesy
davida

Activity: 585
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 05:50:25 AM

Are you from the deep south by any chance? Lol!

I'm a little bit surprised you didn't say that you thought he was buying the Bitcoin to use to buy some Crack on the secret dark interweb! It's about the only racist implication you left out! Roll Eyes

To be fair... White or black, sounds like this is exactly what he was doing!!!!
Honeypot

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 07:37:49 AM

Heard there's a bitch fest going on here with blackies and white people.

Mostly I hear black bitching.

Funny because rest of the world regard 1st world white vs. black bitching the same way they look at two gay boys fighting over who gets to wear the dress.

Grow a fucking spine.
davida

Activity: 585

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 07:38:26 AM

Fkn white people.
*sigh* white Americans......worst white people..

Replace the word white with black in these sentences and I believe right now you would be getting attacked by hundred of people for being racist!!!!
maurya78

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 09:19:39 AM

Whatever his race, this is a smart dude who is investing in the future
great story though I could have done without the stereotyping

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 09:25:10 AM

Race has never been the issue, its always been socio economics.
deepestfear

Activity: 291

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 09:26:48 AM

Fantastic story, the slightly racist overtone aside
Underscores how btc can transcend all boundaries though

Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 09:28:34 AM

Heard there's a bitch fest going on here with blackies and white people.

Mostly I hear black bitching.

Funny because rest of the world regard 1st world white vs. black bitching the same way they look at two gay boys fighting over who gets to wear the dress.

Grow a fucking spine.

I will admit that I feel a hundred times safer walking around downtown Nairobi at night than I do in most large U.S. cities at night.

Congrats to OP for fulfilling the deal despite his trepidation about it.
Divinespark

Activity: 938

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 09:29:19 AM

I have traded coin with black folks several times before
Hardly the groundbreaking news you are making this out to be...

.AMEPAY..
█  FAST
█  CONVENIENT
█  SECURE
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
||$600,000
worth of AME
!
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 09:32:41 AM

I have traded coin with black folks several times before
Hardly the groundbreaking news you are making this out to be...

It was completely outside his comfort zone though, he just needed to share it.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 11:31:20 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2014, 02:43:05 PM by inBitweTrust

Fkn white people.

You guys realize the story is most likely either a comedians attempt to be funny or a black man attempting to troll bait white people for a laugh.
Look at his sig,his post history, his username, the absurdity of his story and the images.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: