Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 09:52:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to keep your bitcoins secure if you suddenly disappear (jail or prison)  (Read 16953 times)
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 02:37:33 PM

so your brain ( remembering seeds or mnemonic ) is the safest place to store your Bitcoins... In this case if they wanna know your passphrase they have to break your head in two...  Grin

Maybe Hal heard that this was in the pipeline...

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22429934.000?cmpid=NLC|

Which is why he erred to the safe side and had his brainwallet put in cold storage.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 04:52:34 PM

so your brain ( remembering seeds or mnemonic ) is the safest place to store your Bitcoins... In this case if they wanna know your passphrase they have to break your head in two...  Grin

Maybe Hal heard that this was in the pipeline...

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22429934.000?cmpid=NLC|

Which is why he erred to the safe side and had his brainwallet put in cold storage.

Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 04:59:40 PM

Yup and if you want random parts of your body chopped off, put subdermal NFC chips in them.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
p2pbucks

Activity: 642

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 02:14:10 AM

Id probably do a mutil sig paper wallet where you only need 2 of the 3 keys. you keep one in a safe place and give the other two to people you trust with your life and tell them to put it in a safe or safe deposit box. Or you can just do a plain paper wallet, but I believe the multi sig is actually safer, that means if one paper is compromised then you just need the other 2 to gain access. Basically, one person cant get to the coin.

Or you can do just a plain paper wallet/cold storage.. But given the scenario that you described, id opt for the mutli sig i think..

In this case , 1 of the 10 keys mutilsig might be much better
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 03:12:56 AM

Classic slashdot meme right there.... and very true.... except, technically you can jump through a few hoops and even make this attack difficult. Setup a dead mans switch/trigger to send the coins to an ntimelock or wallet that you don't have immediate access to and cannot get immediate access to.

KingOfSports

Activity: 602

Acc bought - used solely for signature testing

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 04:42:28 AM

Easy here:

You gives copies of half of the private key for a wallet and the other half you sign up for one of those email dead switches - after 60 days of not being around or something similar it emails out the rest of the code.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 07:05:36 AM

Classic slashdot meme right there.... and very true.... except, technically you can jump through a few hoops and even make this attack difficult. Setup a dead mans switch/trigger to send the coins to an ntimelock or wallet that you don't have immediate access to and cannot get immediate access to.

That's good, they'd think you were lying about not having access and just beat you to death. The good news is they wouldn't have the money. lol

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 07:33:10 AM

Why bother going to the trouble and going threw the worry about will you be able to get your Bitcoins when/if you get out of your fema camp. Give your coins to somebody you love, but i guess you thought about that>?? Greedy then you should get a (uv tattoo) randomised only you know will do the trick. Personally a family member would have mine.

I guess they should love you too Smiley

3 people have access to my coins anytime they want.  They will never touch them unless something happens to me.
The Bad Guy

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 07:43:21 AM

Since I use Electrum , I guess I will just keep the seed on my head to recover the wallet later ? Shocked

inBitweTrust

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 09:05:40 AM

That's good, they'd think you were lying about not having access and just beat you to death. The good news is they wouldn't have the money. lol

When you are being tortured you can prove to them that your money has been transferred or ntimelock'd with the public ledger.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 05:06:04 PM

When you are being tortured you can prove to them that your money has been transferred or ntimelock'd with the public ledger.

Hum, maybe, but I'm not sure someone willing to beat you for your money would be reasonable or intelligent enough to understand. I think I'd rather have the money available to give them on the off chance they would let me go.

inBitweTrust

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Hum, maybe, but I'm not sure someone willing to beat you for your money would be reasonable or intelligent enough to understand. I think I'd rather have the money available to give them on the off chance they would let me go.

This is why Truecrypt and its decedents used encrypted containers so one could give up a one of the passwords revealing some of the keys or hidden information and there would be no way of knowing if their were other containers within.

This same practice could be used with Bitcoin were you give up some of your private keys when tortured.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 06:12:58 PM

This is why Truecrypt and its decedents used encrypted containers so one could give up a one of the passwords revealing some of the keys or hidden information and there would be no way of knowing if their were other containers within.

This same practice could be used with Bitcoin were you give up some of your private keys when tortured.

That might be the solution. Have a stash of btc to give up if you need to.

crazy-pilot

Activity: 861
Merit: 253

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2014, 08:20:35 PM

IMO this is still too big of a risk. When you are being tortured, you are much more likely to give up information, so if you are asked if you gave up all your private keys/information then you will be more likely to tell the truth 

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:45:45 PM

I think this thread is exactly why Bitcoin hasn't taken off yet. There is no good answer to how to protect your coins.

Sadly the only solution that will come along is.... you guessed it....... trusted third parties with insurance.

To damn funny.

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
inBitweTrust

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:57:42 PM

Sadly the only solution that will come along is.... you guessed it....... trusted third parties with insurance.

You think this traditional banking is secure? Even if you ignore the institutionalized theft you have significantly more amortized security costs.

DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 06:04:17 PM

You think this traditional banking is secure? Even if you ignore the institutionalized theft you have significantly more amortized security costs.

I am not saying it is a good solution, but it will ultimately be the solution for the masses. Nobody is going to mull over for weeks on end on how to keep their bitcoin hoard safe. They will deposit them with a third party that has insurance and let them worry about it.

Average guy will gladly pay a fee to have someone else protect his coins. pretty obvious

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
inBitweTrust

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 06:12:03 PM

I am not saying it is a good solution, but it will ultimately be the solution for the masses. Nobody is going to mull over for weeks on end on how to keep their bitcoin hoard safe. They will deposit them with a third party that has insurance and let them worry about it.

Average guy will gladly pay a fee to have someone else protect his coins. pretty obvious

I agree that usability is crucial, but with more bitcoin hardware wallets being developed security will be trivial for the masses.  

Trezor and the HW.1 chip still aren't quite there as far as usability for our grandmothers but https://mycelium.com/bitcoincard and future competitors may be.

There isn't one path going forward either.

Many people will simply deal with the risks of theft from taxes or legal threats with using a service like circle and coinbase because they can at least  avoid the risks of inflation and quantitative easing seen in fiat.

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 01:54:19 AM

I've been thinking about launching a service that is akin to offshore paper wallets. But ... maybe I'd have to be a bank of some sort. Otherwise I just operate on reputation alone. Maybe later. I don't know.

Kimowa

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 04:44:20 AM

I've been thinking about launching a service that is akin to offshore paper wallets. But ... maybe I'd have to be a bank of some sort. Otherwise I just operate on reputation alone. Maybe later. I don't know.
Banks generally operate on reputation alone (although they also often rely on the reputation of the government insurance that backs deposits as well).

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: