Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:58:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is the Altcoin Section so neglected?  (Read 1644 times)
cryptopaths (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Crypto Knight

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 08:12:49 PM

The altcoin section is hands down the most active part of the forum by far so why is it so neglected?
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 08:13:37 PM

I'm going to guess it's because alt coins are useless?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 08:15:10 PM

Well, this is a Bitcoin forum after all. Alt coins are just squatting in owned property.
zeeshan98210

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 08:16:15 PM

The altcoin section is hands down the most active part of the forum by far so why is it so neglected?

This forum is about bitcoin, those alt coins is only sidelines. They are competition to bitcoin and most them are pump and dump.
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 08:19:10 PM

It's neglected because there are no moderators moderating  Huh it.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 08:36:40 PM

There are people who don't have that entire section on their ignore list???
dhenson
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 08:37:30 PM

Lol was thinking the same thing.  I haven't seen an altcoin post in months.
jjc326

Activity: 700

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 08:39:43 PM

That section has just gotten nuts.  It's so unruly and there are so many alts it's just crazy there.  Back 6 months ago I could make sense of it and I knew the altcoins, etc., but now there are just way too many coins to keep track of.  And like other poster said it is Bitocin forum so that should be the focus.
howzar

Activity: 574

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 10:02:07 PM

How does one ignore an entire section. I would like to know please!
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 10:15:39 PM

Profile -> Ignore Boards Preferences -> enjoy

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Xch4ng3

Activity: 661
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 11:14:24 PM

Everyone seems to think their coin will be the next best thing and often it's just someone who will probably try and attempt to pull off a pump and dump (has this happened before, I've never seen reports of it?). Some altcoins are actually useful, as long as they bring something new to the table or they get accepted by a heavily used merchant but to me a lot of them just offer the same thing as BTC. The only advantage I see is easy difficulty but let's be honest, it took BTC a while to get to where it is and imo it pretty much set the standard. I can't see any copy-cat coin having the same level of success as BTC. Litecoin and Namecoin are probably my next two to watch.

[AUTOBUY] [CHEAP] $2 Account Shop -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4611147
C.Steven

Activity: 633

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 03:10:27 AM

The altcoin section is most active section but also the most messy section with lots of scams and coin clones. And as the above persons said, we are here at bitcointalk. Smiley

Cranky4u

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 03:17:58 AM

Probably because any serious alt-coin has their own forum site and this board is but a mere shadow...

ForgottenPassword

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 03:21:06 AM

I'm sure theymos would remove the entire section if he thought it would stop altcoiners from posting here. Problem is it won't, they'll just post their threads in other sections.

Based on his previous posts about this issue, the impression I get is that altcoiners aren't here under friendly terms. They need to get their own forums and stop leeching off of us. This forum is for discussion of Bitcoin.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX
ForgottenPassword

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 03:26:24 AM

It's neglected because there are no moderators moderating  Huh it.

I can't check because I have the altcoin section ignored, but I thought it did have a moderator assigned to it (SaltySpitoon).

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX
howzar

Activity: 574

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 08:30:42 AM

Profile -> Ignore Boards Preferences -> enjoy

I will be doing this for a few perhaps, thank you!
semizias

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 11:27:02 AM

I think it's because Altcoins aren't as profitable, not like bitcoin is extremely profitable anymore,
but since it's not as popular, the price isn't as high.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 12:27:11 PM

BITCOINtalk
Nuff said

Although a stricter moderator could bring some fun there

Deleting the subforum and forbidding any altcoin mention over bitcointalk would be nice too

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 12:42:29 PM

BITCOINtalk
Nuff said

Deleting the subforum and forbidding any altcoin mention over bitcointalk would be nice too
That's what I've also been telling people wherever they complained. It does not matter how much "traffic" the altcoin section is generating when most of it if not all is useless.
We need someone who likes making people suffer and then let that guy loose as a Moderator of the altcoin section.  Wink

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 01:22:13 PM

BITCOINtalk
Nuff said

That's what I've also been telling people wherever they complained. It does not matter how much "traffic" the altcoin section is generating when most of it if not all is useless.
We need someone who likes making people suffer and then let that guy loose as a Moderator of the altcoin section.  Wink
I'd take that role, but every single post would end up in the bin.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: